TMSAIL

A more balanced view of the G7 meetings from the BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-44423072

US President Donald Trump says he proposed the elimination of tariffs in talks at the G7 summit in Canada, as the major industrial nations struggled to resolve differences on trade.

Mr Trump said talks with fellow leaders were "extremely productive" despite tensions over his decision to impose tariffs on steel and aluminium imports.

US allies were furious over the move, raising fears of a global trade war.

However, a joint communique was signed on trade and tariffs.

The communique, announced by Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, was signed by all of the G7 leaders. 

Mr Trump left early for a landmark meeting with North Korea's leader.

He is travelling to Singapore to meet with Kim Jong-un on Tuesday to try to persuade him to give up the country's nuclear weapons

3 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Notably written before the actual meeting. Try BBC after the meeting. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44430000

Everybody knows Trump acted like a spoiled 5-year-old and his lackeys are backing him up with bullshit. Same old.  

Wrong my link was written after Trump has departed the meetings   

The BBC tells both sides of the story rather than the partisan one being pushed on PA. On Trumps tweet 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44430000

In a news conference after the summit, the Canadian leader reasserted his opposition to the US tariffs, and vowed to press ahead with retaliatory moves on 1 July.

"Canadians are polite and reasonable but we will also not be pushed around," he said

"He really kind of stabbed us in the back," Mr Kudlow said, while Mr Navarro said: "There is a special place in Hell for any leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door

7 minutes ago, RKoch said:

image.jpeg

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I’ve been reading and watching cnn bbc and others.   No one is talking about the summit in the terms being presented here.   You give still photos with no context insulting cartoons mockery and jokes.  I provided the BBC.  

Here is NPR.  

MARTIN: Where do things stand right now between the U.S. and the rest of the G-7?

RASCOE: It doesn't seem like the leaders really reached a concrete solution for all of these trade disputes. But the leaders are saying they're committed to continuing the dialogue and continuing to work on this matter. President Trump held a surprise press conference before he left the summit, and he left a bit early. He says the meeting was not contentious and that he gets along well with the other leaders. Here's more of what he had to say.

(SOUNDBITE OF ARCHIVED RECORDING)

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: I would say that the level of relationship is a 10. We have a great relationship. Angela and Emmanuel and Justin - I would say the relationship is a 10.

RASCOE: President Trump was referring to the leaders of Germany, France and Canada. But divisions between the U.S. and the rest of the G-7 are clear. Trump told reporters that the countries would have to either lower their tariffs against the U.S. or the U.S. would stop trading with them. It's not exactly clear how he would carry that out.

And he also put forward this idea that all the countries should eliminate all trade barriers and even subsidies. That would be an incredibly heavy lift and fundamentally change international trade. So this has been a meeting where the leaders acknowledged that they don't always see eye to eye

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/09/618573692/at-g7-summit-trump-demands-changes-to-unfair-trade-policies

No wonder Trump complains about fake news. 

2 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

"He really kind of stabbed us in the back," Mr Kudlow said, while Mr Navarro said: "There is a special place in Hell for any leader that engages in bad faith diplomacy with President Donald J Trump and then tries to stab him in the back on the way out the door

I'd just like to know how anyone *can* engage in bad faith diplomacy with Trump. I mean, to engage in good faith diplomacy one has to start with good intent on both sides. Trump's record is notable for his lying and lack of ability to stick to agreements; there is no implicit assumption of good faith on his part to work with. The only reasonable response is to never trust him in the first place.

All of this sort of crap behaviour was covered in the study of games theory I did as part of one of my postgrad degrees.

You Trump supporters don't seem to have a clue just how much damage his 'negotiating style' is actually doing to your country's credibility.

FKT

6 minutes ago, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I'd just like to know how anyone *can* engage in bad faith diplomacy with Trump. I mean, to engage in good faith diplomacy one has to start with good intent on both sides. Trump's record is notable for his lying and lack of ability to stick to agreements; there is no implicit assumption of good faith on his part to work with. The only reasonable response is to never trust him in the first place.

All of this sort of crap behaviour was covered in the study of games theory I did as part of one of my postgrad degrees.

You Trump supporters don't seem to have a clue just how much damage his 'negotiating style' is actually doing to your country's credibility.

FKT

I understand that.  My point is the memo pushed on PA is the whole G7 was some kind of circus.  Which is why I’m reading and sourcing BBC and NPR. 

I’m trying to get a honest feel for what actually went down.   Rather than cartoons and photoshop images.  

What I’m reading is it was the Canadian PM that broke the trust after Trumo had left.  

Why would TMS post a story about the G7 from before it actually happened after it happened.

asking for a friend...

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I understand that.  My point is the memo pushed on PA is the whole G7 was some kind of circus.  Which is why I’m reading and sourcing BBC and NPR. 

I’m trying to get a honest feel for what actually went down.   Rather than cartoons and photoshop images.  

What I’m reading is it was the Canadian PM that broke the trust after Trumo had left.  

Except Trudeau is saying he told Trump the same thing at the table. Trump disputes that. Vociferously. “I did not have sex with that woman” level of vociferous-y-ness. It comes down to who you believe. Given Trumps history...

2018-06-10_11-45-21.jpg.f0d2bc95fa993873e028396d0e452b24.jpg

This stuff is fluff to keep people molified.  Putin's call in show was less staged than some of these photos.

12 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

No one called it a circus, there were 6 adults there. Only one petulant clown.

8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Why would TMS post a story about the G7 from before it actually happened after it happened.

asking for a friend...

look at the date and actual text.  

This was written after he had left sorry for you and your friends confusion 

Trump at G7: US president calls for end to tariffs and trade barriers

15 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Broke what trust? Trump told him he wasn't going to apply sanctions and then he did. Trudeau has been saying the same thing before and after the meeting. I'd say Trump has broken trust with every other nation and leader at that table.

I’m guessing Trudeau promised not to comment negatively until AFTER the NK US Summit.  Listening to not just Trump, but his key advisers that seems to be at the heart of the anger.  Making the US and Trump look weak right before the NK summit.   It makes sense and is not something a friend would do.   Why not a week from now - after the Korean Summit?  

Just now, TMSAIL said:

I’m guessing Trudeau promised not to comment negatively until AFTER the NK US Summit.  Listening to not just Trump, but his key advisers that seems to be at the heart of the anger.  Making the US and Trump look weak right before the NK summit.   It makes sense and is not something a friend would do.   Why not a week from now after the Korean Summit?  

Trump IS weak. It was his rejection of our allies at that meeting. Not the others.

2 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I’m guessing Trudeau promised not to comment negatively until AFTER the NK US Summit.  Listening to not just Trump, but his key advisers that seems to be at the heart of the anger.  Making the US and Trump look weak right before the NK summit.   It makes sense and is not something a friend would do.   Why not a week from now - after the Korean Summit?  

Guessing is what you are accusing the media of doing. 

1 minute ago, Raz'r said:

Trump IS weak. It was his rejection of our allies at that meeting. Not the others.

At least he's meeting Lil Kim on equal terms, as a nuclear-power petulant man-child who can't be trusted.

• Like 2

Just now, Raz'r said:

Wrong.  They issued a joint statement talking about unity.   Then Trudeau does  a news conference talking about he will not get pushed around.  Trump and his advisers go full court press on attacking the comments AFTER the statement was agreed to.  I believe this has everything to do with looking tough going into to NK talks. 

Just now, TMSAIL said:

Wrong.  They issued a joint statement talking about unity.   Then Trudeau does  a news conference talking about he will not get pushed around.  Trump and his advisers go full court press on attacking the comments AFTER the statement was agreed to.  I believe this has everything to do with looking tough going into to NK talks. 

I agree that Trump only cares about appearances....

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Guessing is what you are accusing the media of doing. 

Not at all  the  BBC gives a pretty good view of both sides of the dispute. 

2 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

You are going to a hell of a lot of reading in your search for favorability towards Trump. Try this site instead, at least they make a solid attempt to find media bias. https://www.allsides.com/story/president-trump-backs-out-g7-agreement

I didn’t claim favorability for Trump.  BUT both the BBC and NPR do not show the chaos and disruption that is being pushed in the earlier threads. 

Sorry if you consider the BBC and NPR Biased sources 

45 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

Notably written before the actual meeting. Try BBC after the meeting. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44430000

Everybody knows Trump acted like a spoiled 5-year-old and his lackeys are backing him up with bullshit. Same old.  

I saw the briefing and it seems that the Americans are calling for an end to tariffs between G7 partners and in fact are calling for an end to subsidies as well. Oddly the spoiled 5-year-old and his lackeys are demanding a level playing field under threat of sanctions! I'm no Trump fan but that seems reasonable to me.               

Meeting with the goddamn North Koreans in Singapore also seems more than reasonable, hell I'd even like to see the Americans stop being used as a tripwire to WW3 on the peninsula.  

"Living next to you is in some ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is affected by every twitch and grunt."

P Trudeau

25 March 1969

1 hour ago, cmilliken said:

2018-06-10_11-45-21.jpg.f0d2bc95fa993873e028396d0e452b24.jpg

This stuff is fluff to keep people molified.  Putin's call in show was less staged than some of these photos.

That's a different angle.  It doesn't look like the herd is trying to bully him in this one.

In fact, it looks like a lot of groupies at a book signing.

25 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

I saw the briefing and it seems that the Americans are calling for an end to tariffs between G7 partners and in fact are calling for an end to subsidies as well. Oddly the spoiled 5-year-old and his lackeys are demanding a level playing field under threat of sanctions! I'm no Trump fan but that seems reasonable to me.               

Meeting with the goddamn North Koreans in Singapore also seems more than reasonable, hell I'd even like to see the Americans stop being used as a tripwire to WW3 on the peninsula.  

Americans ending tariffs. Good one! Hahahaha!

6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

Americans ending tariffs. Good one! Hahahaha!

Well, that's what they are asking of G7 partners. If that ever happens remains to be seen. I think the US could compete with G7 countries on a level playing field. China not so much. How about you?  

1 minute ago, Mickey Rat said:

Well, that's what they are asking of G7 partners. If that ever happens remains to be seen. I think the US could compete with G7 countries on a level playing field. China not so much. How about you?  

Level playing field without government support for corn growers and milk producers and farmers in the midwest and Boeing? Bring it on.

• Like 1

Canada also has supply side management on poultry and eggs.  We do not have subsidies.  Why?  On the dairy side is all that cheese kept underground in, what is it, Colorado? On the poultry side it is all those dried eggs that keep on piling up in warehouses around the US.  Can the US farmer live without subsidies?  We know the Canadian ones can't counter the subsidies and so have supply side management on poultry, eggs, dairy and wheat.  Some wheat farmers in Alberta are getting all huffy because they can't sell their excess wheat at a higher price on the US spot market, but they don't realize it is only a spot market and they would be crushed otherwise.

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:

Because then Trump's bullshit about agreement would have stood for a week and he could have claimed that everyone else was lying afterwards, else why didn't they say something at the time?

Seems to me his only complaint was that Trudeau told the public exactly what he told Trump, and Trump wanted to lie about it. Which, given his track record on lying about other stuff, wouldn't surprise anyone.

Games theory again - if an entity that has demonstrated that they will break faith, the only rational approach is to assume they will continue to do so until they *prove by doing* - NOT SAYING - that they can be trusted again.

Trump has yet to demonstrate that he even grasps the concept, let alone is going to follow it.

FKT

• Like 1

EU will act against U.S. tariffs on steel, aluminum: Merkel

Source: Reuters

JUNE 10, 2018 / 3:50 PM / UPDATED 42 MINUTES AGO 

Michael Nienaber 

BERLIN (Reuters) - Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Sunday, voicing regret about President Donald Trump’s abrupt decision to withdraw support for a G7 communique. 

Trump’s announcement on Twitter, after leaving the Group of Seven summit in Canada early, that he was backing out of the joint communique torpedoed what appeared to be a fragile consensus on a trade dispute between Washington and its top allies. 

“The withdrawal, so to speak, via tweet is of course ... sobering and a bit depressing,” Merkel said in an ARD television interview following the G7 summit. 

The summit did not mark the end of the transatlantic partnership between Europe and the U.S., Merkel said. But she repeated that Europe could no longer rely on its ally and should take its fate into its own hands. 

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g7-summit-germany-merkel/eu-will-act-against-u-s-tariffs-on-steel-aluminum-merkel-idUSKBN1J60YV?il=0 

14 minutes ago, badlatitude said:

Michael Nienaber 

BERLIN (Reuters) - Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Sunday, voicing regret about President Donald Trump’s abrupt decision to withdraw support for a G7 communique. 

Trump’s announcement on Twitter, after leaving the Group of Seven summit in Canada early, that he was backing out of the joint communique torpedoed what appeared to be a fragile consensus on a trade dispute between Washington and its top allies. 

“The withdrawal, so to speak, via tweet is of course ... sobering and a bit depressing,” Merkel said in an ARD television interview following the G7 summit. 

The summit did not mark the end of the transatlantic partnership between Europe and the U.S., Merkel said. But she repeated that Europe could no longer rely on its ally and should take its fate into its own hands. 

Read more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g7-summit-germany-merkel/eu-will-act-against-u-s-tariffs-on-steel-aluminum-merkel-idUSKBN1J60YV?il=0 

Trump backing out of the joint communique?

'Fake news'. Likely TMSAIL comment. ...

2 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

What you are reading is then passed through a unique filter which spins things to the right. It is no more trustworthy than popular hyperventilating accounts of the G7 meeting you’d have everyone discount. 

Youd have more success appearing wise if you didn’t try to replace one spin with another. 

Dont try and sell us accounts of Trudeau being unfair to Trump. It makes you sound like even more of a snowflake than usual. HTFU. It’s international negotiations, not tiddlywinks, and Trump has upset the apple cart, has refused to abide by agreements, and wants Russia to rejoin the group over everyone else’s objections. He should expect & understand harsh words. 

Sorry Canada/EU. We'll try to get this sorted out in November and 2020. Keep an eye on Putin for us until then.

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Level playing field without government support for corn growers and milk producers and farmers in the midwest and Boeing? Bring it on.

Apparently, that was the proposition that they made, yes, but so far no takers. 

ultimately, that’s what you want. You want a tariff-free , you want no barriers, and you want no subsidies, because you have some cases where countries are subsidizing industries, and that’s not fair. So you go tariff-free, you go barrier-free, you go subsidy-free.

12 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Apparently, that was the proposition that they made, yes, but so far no takers. 

I understand that he threw that out to the media after the fact. If he had made the offer to the G7 during the meetings, I'm sure it would have been a much bigger event.

1 hour ago, phillysailor said:

What you are reading is then passed through a unique filter which spins things to the right. It is no more trustworthy than popular hyperventilating accounts of the G7 meeting you’d have everyone discount. 

Youd have more success appearing wise if you didn’t try to replace one spin with another. 

Dont try and sell us accounts of Trudeau being unfair to Trump. It makes you sound like even more of a snowflake than usual. HTFU. It’s international negotiations, not tiddlywinks, and Trump has upset the apple cart, has refused to abide by agreements, and wants Russia to rejoin the group over everyone else’s objections. He should expect & understand harsh words. 

Good to know the BBC and NPR are now filtering with a right wing bias. 

YCMTSU 

• Like 1

Good to know the BBC and NPR are now filtering with a right wing bias. 

YCMTSU 

What was actually said was...

4 hours ago, phillysailor said:

What you are reading is then passed through a unique filter which spins things to the right.

So, yeah, you clearly can make that shit up.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ishmael said:

I understand that he threw that out to the media after the fact. If he had made the offer to the G7 during the meetings, I'm sure it would have been a much bigger event.

Maybe so but there it is in black and white. Read it and weep if you like.

An offer AFTER negotiations have finished is not a good faith offer. It being in black and white doesn't make it any more credible.

8 hours ago, Mickey Rat said:

Haass has a good point -

Richard N. Haass

Richard N. Haass

@RichardHaass
The unraveling of G-7 summit works in NK’s favor as @realDonaldTrump will not want to bust up 2 summits in a row lest people conclude he is the problem. Increases incentive for Kim to up his asks and limit his compromises and for Trump to do the opposite. Hardly the ideal context
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I agree that Trump only cares about appearances....

then he wouldn;t have looked like a slob with his arms folded for the  entire summit

I am sure TM will dispute Chancellor Merkel's statement about how President Trump bailing on the communique by Tweet was "sobering" and "depressing".

Probably laud him for his style and panache.

1 hour ago, Sean said:

Haass has a good point -

Richard N. Haass

Richard N. Haass

@RichardHaass
The unraveling of G-7 summit works in NK’s favor as @realDonaldTrump will not want to bust up 2 summits in a row lest people conclude he is the problem. Increases incentive for Kim to up his asks and limit his compromises and for Trump to do the opposite. Hardly the ideal context

Opinions are like assholes.....

16 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I am sure TM will dispute Chancellor Merkel's statement about how President Trump bailing on the communique by Tweet was "sobering" and "depressing".

Why would I dispute her actual words?  

I have never praised Trumps style.  I have referred to him as a bull in a china shop. His goals of free trade are not something everyone agrees with.   I understand why countries that have been benefiting from  the US for decades now resist a level playing field. 

1 minute ago, Mickey Rat said:

Opinions are like assholes.....

Some are worth more than others. Haass has been around the block a few times. 

3 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

No-one said you'd dispute "her actual words"

4 minutes ago, Bent Sailor said:

No-one said you'd dispute "her actual words"

It's always tough to pin these clowns down, as they are adept at the semantic gymnastics necessary to deny something by saying it is not exactly the same.

Maybe I could substitute the word "sentiment" for "statement" in Post #44.  But, I have no doubt TM will quibble with that.

55 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

It's always tough to pin these clowns down, as they are adept at the semantic gymnastics necessary to deny something by saying it is not exactly the same.

Maybe I could substitute the word "sentiment" for "statement" in Post #44.  But, I have no doubt TM will quibble with that.

I addressed her words in the second part of that post, last sentence.   I see you are letting Bent suggest how YOU interpret what I wrote by editing the post.   Sad

6 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I addressed her words in the second part of that post, last sentence.   I see you are letting Bent suggest how YOU interpret what I wrote by editing the post.   Sad

What did I edit?

6 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

What did I edit?

You didn’t. You responded to an edited post claiming I was playing semantics. I assume that is why Bent Dick’s post showed up in your response    

In fact my complete post did address her reaction to the call for free trade. 

I'm so looking forward to Trump's meetings with Hassan Rouhani, Mahmoud Abbas, and Mamnoon Hussain after he takes care of NK. That Noble Prize has his name all over it. I know I sleep better knowing Trump is on watch.

Just now, bhyde said:

I'm so looking forward to Trump's meetings with Hassan Rouhani, Mahmoud Abbas, and Mamnoon Hussain after he takes care of NK. That Noble Prize has his name all over it. I know I sleep better knowing Trump is on watch.

Why does Trump have to do anything to get the Nobel?  Harvard Lawyers would know that precedent counts.

1 minute ago, TMSAIL said:

You didn’t. You responded to an edited post claiming I was playing semantics. I assume that is why Bent Dick’s post showed up in your response    

In fact my complete post did address her reaction to the call for free trade. 

1 hour ago, TMSAIL said:
1 hour ago, Bus Driver said:

I have never praised Trumps style.  I have referred to him as a bull in a china shop. His goals of free trade are not something everyone agrees with.   I understand why countries that have been benefiting from  the US for decades now resist a level playing field. 

Where?  If you are referring to your last sentence, that is laughable.  That reads like yet another "Trump did a great job".

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

Why does Trump have to do anything to get the Nobel?  Harvard Lawyers would know that precedent counts.

I didn't know there was a Noble for Whataboutism. You may want to apply.

4 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Where?  If you are referring to your last sentence, that is laughable.  That reads like yet another "Trump did a great job".

Laugh away - it addresses why she would find Trumps proposals and actions sobering and depressing.   

I see Threads by Fakenews are disappearing.  He outed himself with his Orwell thread.  Was probably hoping no one would notice it was gone.  I guess debating yourself caused a sock to be born. LOL

•  
  • 12,648 posts

Michael Nienaber 

"BERLIN (Reuters) - Europe will implement counter-measures against U.S. tariffs on steel and aluminum just like Canada, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Sunday, voicing regret about President Donald Trump’s abrupt decision to withdraw support for a G7 communique.  ...
The summit did not mark the end of the transatlantic partnership between Europe and the U.S., Merkel said. But she repeated that Europe could no longer rely on its ally and should take its fate into its own hands. "

What a concept! It started with the Marshall Plan in 1948. That's ... er ... 70 years ago... A long time for kids in mom an ally's basement to get their stuff together. Hey Europe, next time Putin comes a calling, call  image.png.b5c96d88e68a7c808269b959525eca30.png
or this guy: image.png.f6bc82d3735b4f71bd16e4ad5d4fbecd.png

or your local Imam.
NTTAWWT.

Laugh away - it addresses why she would find Trumps proposals and actions sobering and depressing.   

I have a hunch you are incorrect in your understanding of what Chancellor Merkel for "sobering" and "depressing".

To help you get it, I'll include the exact words she is quoted as saying.

Merkel said that "taking it back by tweet was of course sobering and also a little depressing."

Linky.

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

I have a hunch you are incorrect in your understanding of what Chancellor Merkel for "sobering" and "depressing".

To help you get it, I'll include the exact words she is quoted as saying.

Merkel said that "taking it back by tweet was of course sobering and also a little depressing."

Linky.

I responded to what both the headline and the opening paragraph FROM YOUR LINKY Stated

G-7 summit with Trump was a 'sobering' experience: Merkel

German Chancellor Angela Merkel found the contentious Group of Seven summit with U.S. President Donald Trump a "sobering" and "depressing" experience but said European leaders won't be "taken advantage of" on trade

Having to leave home after high school is sobering and depressing too. Life sucks til you get that you might have to do something when you get hungry.

Too soon?

Too cynical?

I responded to what both the headline and the opening paragraph FROM YOUR LINKY Stated

G-7 summit with Trump was a 'sobering' experience: Merkel

German Chancellor Angela Merkel found the contentious Group of Seven summit with U.S. President Donald Trump a "sobering" and "depressing" experience but said European leaders won't be "taken advantage of" on trade

If you'd bothered to read the entire article I linked in that post (and not just the opening paragraph), you would have seen the exact some quote I just shared.  Word for word. 

Her context for using the words "sobering" and "depressing" were regarding how President Trump "took it back by tweet".

Don't believe me, go back and read the whole (short) article.  Go ahead.  

Here is the link, again.

7 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

If you'd bothered to read the entire article I linked in that post (and not just the opening paragraph), you would have seen the exact some quote I just shared.  Word for word. 

Her context for using the words "sobering" and "depressing" were regarding how President Trump "took it back by tweet".

Don't believe me, go back and read the whole (short) article.  Go ahead.  

Here is the link, again.

I read it.  And you accuse me of semantics.  Yes her statement was in response to Trump withdrawing by tweet. But her sentiment was about the entire summit.  That’s how both the writers of your LINKY and I viewed it. 

Does Prime Minister Trudeau deserve a special place in hell?  

If so, why?

His goals of free trade? YCMTSU

43 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

I read it.  And you accuse me of semantics.  Yes her statement was in response to Trump withdrawing by tweet. But her sentiment was about the entire summit.  That’s how both the writers of your LINKY and I viewed it. 

We can see you are all in for Trump.

He is a complete mess and you find ways to excuse him and minimize the damage done.

At least you are consistent.

12 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

He is a complete mess and you find ways to excuse him and minimize the damage done.

Of course you read it that way,  Any assesment that is not made up of childish photo shopped images insulting the US and it's president is ALL IN FOR TRUMP.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Cognitive dissonance.

25 minutes ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

Does Prime Minister Trudeau deserve a special place in hell?  

If so, why?

Special place in Hell seems a bit over the top, BUT  There are questions about what led to that anger -   Did he stab the US President in the back?  Did he break a promise?   Did he troll the President with a picture of a brothel?  How often have we seen  staff continue the outrage after a Trump tweet?   Not too often, so I'm guessing they know more about what the anger is about than is currently be reported.

14 hours ago, TMSAIL said:

That's because you believe anything that Trump says.

5 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Special place in Hell seems a bit over the top, BUT  There are questions about what led to that anger -   Did he stab the US President in the back?  Did he break a promise?   Did he troll the President with a picture of a brothel?  How often have we seen  staff continue the outrage after a Trump tweet?   Not too often, so I'm guessing they know more about what the anger is about than is currently be reported.

Trudeau and the rest of the G6 didn't roll over and play dead for Donnie, making him look weak. He is weak, and mentally unstable. Mad King Donald thought his bullying would be enough to scare the rest into compliance with his demands and threats. Fuck him.

13 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

Special place in Hell seems a bit over the top, BUT  There are questions about what led to that anger -   Did he stab the US President in the back?  No.  He stayed consistent in his message.  Did he break a promise?  We only have the word of a liar (President Trump) saying he did. Did he troll the President with a picture of a brothel?  Probably.  How often have we seen  staff continue the outrage after a Trump tweet?   Not too often, so I'm guessing they know more about what the anger is about than is currently be reported.

I thought giving Trump a framed archival picture of his grandfathers hotel was a touching tribute.

• Like 1

"Did he stab the US President in the back?  Did he break a promise?   Did he troll the President with a picture of a brothel? "

If Trudeau did, and I have no real information one way or another, wouldn't that simply be taking a page from Trump's play book by exploiting an opponent's weakness for potential gain? Trudeau's baseline interest is "Canada First" economically, not Trump's interest in a successful NK summit.  If the NK summit fails, Trump has diminished international stature and would have less leverage in the next round of economic negotiations.  Sounds a bit more like Trump's "for me to win, you have to lose' style of negotiation.

On the other hand, it could be the first step in Canada withdrawing from North American involvement and joining the EU (no information, just making stuff up).

2 hours ago, Ishmael said:

Trudeau and the rest of the G6 didn't roll over and play dead for Donnie, making him look weak. He is weak, and mentally unstable. Mad King Donald thought his bullying would be enough to scare the rest into compliance with his demands and threats. Fuck him.

The rest of the G7 was not attacked only one gave a “backstabbing “ press conference only one was covered by the administrations outrage after betraying a promise.    I wonder why?   Fuck Trudeau 

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That's because you believe anything that Trump says.

Actually that is precisely why I used the BBC.  Not my opinion theirs.  

4 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

The rest of the G7 was not attacked only one gave a “backstabbing “ press conference only one was covered by the administrations outrage after betraying a promise.    I wonder why?   Fuck Trudeau 

Who said the press conference given by Trudeau was "backstabbing" and why should we believe that person(s)?

Is it possible you have been lied to?

58 minutes ago, TMSAIL said:

He was the host for the Conference and therefore its spokesperson.  I am sure the speech had been vetted by the others as is standard practice.

52 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

Who said the press conference given by Trudeau was "backstabbing" and why should we believe that person(s)?

Is it possible you have been lied to?

Just as likely Trudeau’s press conference was a stab in the back as Trump is lying.  I understand the need to take sides.  I stand with my country. 

4 minutes ago, Laker said:

He was the host for the Conference and therefore its spokesperson.  I am sure the speech had been vetted by the others as is standard practice.

Nice try  

The comments that started all this was his response to US tariffs against Canadian and the Canadian response.  He was not speaking as the host of the G7 He was speaking as the PM of Canada. 

Just as likely Trudeau’s press conference was a stab in the back as Trump is lying.  I understand the need to take sides.  I stand with my country. 

Are you suggesting anyone who does not believe President Trump's claims does not stand with your country?

That is close to labeling folks traitors.

Trump lying is a certainty. Trudeau said nothing he hasn't said before. I don't know where you are getting this "promise" bullshit from.

image.png.627d8394cd61486744b83113acbe10d0.png