Sign in to follow this  
ians

Dry-sail A Cat in San Francisco

Hi All,

I just moved to SF from the midwest and I'm trying to get my foiling A-cat out to the Bay.

At my former club, we had great facilities for cats: We had dry storage and an attached beach to launch.

Is there anything like this in SF? I noticed that Treasure Island Sailing Center had some dry facilities advertised that should fit my boat. Preferably it would be something near the city and not down the peninsula or up the bay..

Also, does anyone have any sense for the foiling/cat communities in the Bay? I think i noticed an f18 fleet out of redwood city? Anything else?

I appreciate any leads!

- Ian

In SF? No. Treasure island, Richmond YC (normal place). Redwood City yes.

2 hours ago, Raz'r said:

In SF? No. Treasure island, Richmond YC (normal place). Redwood City yes.

Also Schoonmakers trailer lot (beach launch) in Sausalito (there is a foiling Phantom there and some F18s) but no As. 

Unfortunately like the rest of Bay Area sailing, beachcat and dinghy sailing here is balkanized. 2-5 beachcats in every location, below minimum scale, spread at the corners of the bay. Even the F18s have a hard time getting the 5 boat minimum for the twice-annual dinghy regattas at the St Francis...  The right answer would be if TI or SF based clubs could offer storage for beachcat sailing, but they don’t (at most they support a few youth dinghy classes which is great, but leaves adult sailors in the lurch).

My recommendation: you’re not going to find much anyone to sail against, so choose any location where there are other As (if any), or a location you enjoy sailing from. I’d personally say Sausalito (Schoonmakers) or Richmond (nice flat water where i sometimes see a foiling Moth).  Sausalito is a lot easier to get to from SF.  No idea about TI facilties - could get better due to Nacra Olympic sailing facilities being set up there (saw news recently about this) though I’m not sure they will be open to public. Redwood City has the most cats but the sailing there is more boring in my opinion vs central bay, and I don’t think more than a couple go out often. 

By the way PM me if you ever want to sail on a 27ft racing cat - not foiling but it’s a big beach cat :) with a 46ft mast and turboed sail area.  We sail out of Richmond, and there’s a healthy local racing fleet of Farrier trimarans and some Formula 40 cats, so the competition is there.

Ian, go to Treasure Island Sailing Club and get to know the people there.  Great group and very supportive of sailing with a community focus.  Also get to know Richmond Yacht Club, it's been the home base of high performance dinghies like International Canoes for many years in the bay.  Richmond will be much better to sail in and out of.  It is where the Skiff Sailing Foundation is based that has had As in the past.  TI can be very puffy and put you in heavy air very quickly.  I'd get a cut down sail for TI.  Heck, maybe for the whole Bay Area.

It's been a long time since I sailed there but those were the two best.  

UC Berkley has a community sailing club that might have a good beach launch, not sure. 

There are a few other A sailors around, including another recent SF arrival, Zach.  Talk to Andy Kolb for the most current info.  I know they are talking about getting together.  Huntington Lake this summer sounds awesome too.

I'll throw in a second for Richmond. Best weather and best facilities for small boat sailing hands down. There are a hand full of A-Cats already there. Plus some Miracle 20's, Vipers, Tris, and a couple of F18's. There is a purpose built dinghy launching and recovery harbor with 10 foot wide ramps and a pair of cranes for those wide loads (Miracle, Tornado, Weta, F-Boat). Facility has a full-time harbor master, security, and a pile of chase boats for events. Great bar and real food. West Marine and Ace Marine Hardware are within a mile if you need line or a shackle. And a full workshop on site for those unfortunate carbon/glass repair jobs.

Holder Cup will be hosted there this year. It's an easy drive from SF downtown and always warmer and less windy. We call it the Richmond Riviera.

http://www.richmondyc.org/

I'd go with TI next. Great people and a fun place, but the breeze there will quickly make you wish you were sailing an F-18 or a Cal20.

Hi All,

Thank you all so much for your help!

I'll have to check out Treasure Island and Richmond and report back for others who might find this thread after searching.

I have the feeling that the drive to Richmond may be worth it to have calmer waters and wind. Also, it'll be good to have more mature facilities and other high performance racing boats/people.

- Ian