Sign in to follow this  
LB 15

Brisbane to Keppel 2018

24 minutes ago, lydia said:

That track gets my vote then!

Assuming another drifter this year was the last nail in the Kepple Koffin. 

So Start to Caloundra

Breaksea to port

North Reef to port (lighthouse)

High Peak to port (lighthouse)

Penrith to port (lighthouse)

Linderman to port

Finish.

Done, problem solved.

What, does that mean the club has decided already? What happened to checking with the members?

7 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

What happened to checking with the members?

LOL

13 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Assuming another drifter this year was the last nail in the Kepple Koffin. 

It wasn’t the weather that caused this. Simply the ego of people who buy big boats and don’t like not being able to tie them up where everyone can see them. 

They still plan to run the B2K race for us riff Raff but as I was told ‘the big boats don’t want to go there anymore.’ The plan is to start both races together. It is going to be huge I am told. The new race for the wealthy is being announced at - where else- Hammo in the next few days. Odd that they didn’t announce it at the Keppel presentation last week end but I guess it would be poor form to tell a loyal 11 year sponsor that you are shitting on them when you are enjoying their wonderful hospitality. 

But yeah Jack it will be the end of the B2K. A 600 miler in a 40 footer at that time of year is a flogging to nowhere but that won’t worry the big boats who can create their own apparent wind and their own apparent headlines. 

The big winner will be the B2G and more power to them. QCYC know how to run and promote a yacht race. It also explains why the club did zero promotion for the B2K this year. Why brush a dog you intend to put down?

Yeah where I came from a 40 footer was  a big boat and the same attitude permeates from those owners. They don't seem to realise that if the smallest boats don't compete then pretty soon you don't have any competitors. Loss of tradition is just part of the long list of reasons for the downward trend in keelboat racing . Hence lower demand equals lower resale. Big boys don't even think about that. As an afterthought a lot of those boats now sit on the dock never moving just slowly deteriorating.

• Like 1

So my club dues are going to be spent promoting a race for what, 4 boats so they can fund their pro crews travelling north to HI?

And it’s been decided already, has it? This is the real kick in the balls, last time I checked a sports club’s decisions were made by the members. Who the fuck decided this without even flagging it with the members? 

I ran non for profits for a decade of my life, and if this is true, is another example of how ego stroking cockheads kill years of selfless hard work from volunteers who had only one desire, putting the club and their members first. 

Looks like I’m dusting off the ol’ helmet and axe again. We’ll either end up with no members, or a new club exec, because that’s just shitting all over the Mum and dad sailors that contribute the boats I enjoy sailing against, and having a beer afterwards throughout the year.

• Like 2

Here is a better idea. Go and find a commercial marketing company to run and promote this “race”.

The owner’s can cover the cost if they don’t find the sponsors, which they won’t for a race with an entrants list you can count on one hand. 

Dont use my club’s resources thanks very much, which should be used for helping the majority, (ie: the little guys, some people call them club members) compete in the sport they love.

Lb and shaggy get some vision guys

I am splashing a deposit on a 52 early next week so I am good.

I better check though this new race is sounding like it is entry by invitation only.

Odds are they will not want me.

I don’t have enough mates to crew a 52 and neither do you. Wait! I forgot once you buy a TP52 you get lots of new mates...

• Like 1

Lydia,

Thats a great idea. We could pick and choose the best crew from all the club boats considering we’re ignoring them anyway.

Boats under 52’ apparently just add noise and complexity, much cleaner if you only have enough entrants to guarantee a podium position.

Shucks Shaggy with you and LB I know I will never have to buy a friend!

PYQ - People's Yacht Club of Queensland! 

I might find a fast 29.9ft'r so I can own the race record for sub 30' for at least a year! 

Sounds like keys to an apartment on Hammo for Flag Officers and RC ...but don't have to hand them in until the end of Aug deal.

Just in.

Sydney to Hobart race to finish in Melbourne. In response to desires of the Big boat owners there will be two finish lines in the years race. The traditional race to Hobart will still be held but the larger boats are being invited to finish of Sandringham this year. Hobart has become unpopular with many of the larger boats owners. ‘With no Audi hire cars available on the island and only Buisness class seats available on flights out of there , Melbourne, with is range of 4 star restaurants and theatres has become a far more attractive destination. It is also handy to the Victorian wine district for hosting after race Soirées’ said one. Race organisers are hoping to partner with fashion week to showcase to the world what the sport of offshore racing has to offer. ‘Whist Hobart is quaint, it lacks the sophistication and cultural attractions so important to the big end of the sport’  the Hobart race may have become a victim of its own success by attracting so many ‘common’ people to the finish celebrations. ‘Whist it is fun having lots of people looking at us, we don’t really want to rub shoulders with them’ said one owner from his Hamilton island villa. 

34 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Just in.

Sydney to Hobart race to finish in Melbourne. In response to desires of the Big boat owners there will be two finish lines in the years race. The traditional race to Hobart will still be held but the larger boats are being invited to finish of Sandringham this year. Hobart has become unpopular with many of the larger boats owners. ‘With no Audi hire cars available on the island and only Buisness class seats available on flights out of there , Melbourne, with is range of 4 star restaurants and theatres has become a far more attractive destination. It is also handy to the Victorian wine district for hosting after race Soirées’ said one. Race organisers are hoping to partner with fashion week to showcase to the world what the sport of offshore racing has to offer. ‘Whist Hobart is quaint, it lacks the sophistication and cultural attractions so important to the big end of the sport’  the Hobart race may have become a victim of its own success by attracting so many ‘common’ people to the finish celebrations. ‘Whist it is fun having lots of people looking at us, we don’t really want to rub shoulders with them’ said one owner from his Hamilton island villa. 

What a load of BS...

The S2H will finish off RMYS, not Sandy and the start will be delayed until January 12th so that the boats have a week to prepare for the IRC championship.

The CYCA has also announced that they have a new sponsor and the race will be called the Goldfingers S2H. All crew will get free entry and added to the guest list and owners, free membership.

http://www.goldfingers.com.au/

The Tattersalls Cup for the handicap winner will become the Top of the Town cup. All crew from the overall winning boat will receive free passes and winners from the divisions will receive discount vouchers.

https://thetopofthetown.com.au/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SCANAS said:

I might find a fast 29.9ft'r so I can own the race record for sub 30' for at least a year! 

Scampi is for sail. We are taking Lydia’s defiance 30 in the B2H next year. We are hoping to do it in under 15 days. 

10 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Scampi is for sail. We are taking Lydia’s defiance 30 in the B2H next year. We are hoping to do it in under 15 days. 

I hope it has refrigeration!

5 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I hope it has refrigeration!

Defiance has a good ice box. However with freeze dried food these days, plenty of room for keeping drinks cold.

We may take the keppel option after the first 7 days.

1 minute ago, LB 15 said:

We may take the keppel option after the first 7 days.

What about a resupply at sea, oh wait!

20 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

Don’t worry about rules Scan, we’ll change boats at midpoint. 

Unlimited bench too.

Hmm two boat race! You might be onto something. 

3 hours ago, shaggybaxter said:

Don’t worry about rules Scan, we’ll change boats at midpoint. 

Unlimited bench too.

Sounds like too much hard work...

Work with Lydia and find a 2nd S38. Make your race a two parter, Brisbane to Mooloolaba and then Mackay to HI. Time you second leg so you are leading PHS and then ease off to ensure you get the coveted 3rd place.

4 hours ago, Phil said:

Defiance has a good ice box. However with freeze dried food these days, plenty of room for keeping drinks cold.

Phil, move with the times, we have 12v  compressor now.

However given the fridge is on port I will need to move the battery boxes out further on the starboard side to cater for the XXXX draught LB drinks

4 hours ago, SCANAS said:

What about a resupply at sea, oh wait!

Resupply at sea, no problem if you are 66 foot canter apparently.

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

LB  I have fitted a 27hp diesel to a 3600 kg 30 footer, I did want a good trolling speed for up the back of the Swains

9 hours ago, SCANAS said:

Scan as, you got it wrong it is the Yacht Club for the People of Queensland, you SPLITTER

42 minutes ago, lydia said:

Scan as, you got it wrong it is the Yacht Club for the People of Queensland, you SPLITTER

I can get us a royal affiliation cheap, from a mighty kingdom never conquered! The Kingdom of Tonga. 

1 minute ago, lydia said:

Scan as, you are uncultured!!!

You've completely misunderstood the business model of the PYQ. Take what you can from the members, give nothing back :) 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, lydia said:

Judea rang, they want their Front back.

I told them it fell off.

Outside the environment.

Where the canters should play with themselves.

I know all about the People's liberation Front of Judea. My best mate when I was a kid was called Bwian. Consequently myself & bwiam got introduced to monty python at a very young age. 

19 hours ago, SCANAS said:

You've completely misunderstood the business model of the PYQ. Take what you can from the members, give nothing back :) 

The AS model?

Looks like Great Keppel island might be heading for a makover that includes a marina.

consortium plans to resurrect it as a high-tech wonderland including a luxury resort, private villas and apartments, a golf course, retail outlets and a marina

Sounds like it could become a destination for the wealthy yachties, so maybe the B2K can be resurected in the future with a slight finish line adjustment.   

https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/cryptocurrency-behind-great-keppel-island-s-300-million-resurrection-20180903-p501ip.html

however as the money behind the redevelopment is from a virtual currency, maybe it will be a virtual resort and the B2K will become a virtual race which Randum can sail in from the comfort of his trolls den.

fat-guy-computer.jpg

Sounds like it could become a destination for the wealthy yachties, so maybe the B2K can be resurected in the future with a slight finish line adjustment.  

You mean back to the future.  The first two editions went to Great Keppel Island

17 minutes ago, trt131 said:

You mean back to the future.  The first two editions went to Great Keppel Island

Only the first did. But without a deep water Marina and Sailorgirl there to interview  them the big boats won’t want to go there. Do you think a Hammo will want another island working their corner? Everyone will have to choose a side. A Keppel Race week the same time as Hammo? That this could be fun...

This could be fun for the Lota Fishing and Fighting Club.

Can't really call the race the Brisbane to Keppel Race anymore if the race continues on to the opposition island resort.

Manly to Emu Point Race.

Brisbane to Divided Island Race (my favourite)

Green Island to Girt Island Race.

Lota to Cattle Point Race

Just trying to help!

So does the race go through a gate at Keppel and continue on, or straight to hammo? Does this mean that Showtime is the perpetual holder of the most prestigious trophy in Qld yachting 3rd PHS Div 1?

6 hours ago, hoppy said:

however as the money behind the redevelopment is from a virtual currency, maybe it will be a virtual resort and the B2K will become a virtual race which Randum can sail in from the comfort of his trolls den.

The crypto currency crowd have been beavering away in Puerto Rico post Hurrican Maria. They are an odd crowd sort of cross between skateboarders, gamers and middle aged dot com wealthy types.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/puerto-rico-lures-blockchain-industry-to-help-fund-its-comeback.html

Kepple owner probably now enroute to this crypto conference 

https://crypto-finance-conference.com/en/all-events/cfc-us-at-the-ritz-carlton-hotel?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGPeL07ccAcW69vFXrKl45OQZLfHUgQNkCHOrGWYgCRq540hY4jCZoBoCaX0QAvD_BwE

31 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

So does the race go through a gate at Keppel and continue on, or straight to hammo? Does this mean that Showtime is the perpetual holder of the most prestigious trophy in Qld yachting 3rd PHS Div 1?

Guess it does!

$300m for redevelopment I can understand. Being worth “billions” after, nah, don’t think so. Crypto Scam. 

27 minutes ago, Rawhide said:

3rd PHS Div 2 is the big one. But who knows what the fuck is going on. The club appears to be making it up as they go along. Like publishing the start date as being the Saturday then doing a huge back flip when it was pointed out that that won't work and then claiming they had made a mistake - We members have only been told that there will be two races starting at the same time but apparently at the gala launch at Hammo they were told there will be a gate. It is important that the big boats that have no interest in stopping at Keppel and supporting the sponsor or the local businesses can still get to win all the trophy's. 

2h5y2r.jpg

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Only the first did. But without a deep water Marina and Sailorgirl there to interview  them the big boats won’t want to go there. Do you think a Hammo will want another island working their corner? Everyone will have to choose a side. A Keppel Race week the same time as Hammo? That this could be fun...

LB 15, I think it was two years with SH in charge, but it was such a long time ago I may be mistaken.

2 minutes ago, trt131 said:

LB 15, I think it was two years with SH in charge, but it was such a long time ago I may be mistaken.

Trust me it was only once when finished at the island. I have done every race.

I haven't done every race but I did the first ten and I have distinct memories of the hi-jinks on the island.  A bottle on it?

12 hours ago, trt131 said:

I haven't done every race but I did the first ten and I have distinct memories of the hi-jinks on the island.  A bottle on it?

$1000 000 000 if you like. Only the first race finished at the island. You know I was on the race organising committee from the beginning until a few years ago and was chairman for 4 years? Ring SH. They have phones in NZ now I think.

15 hours ago, LB 15 said:

3rd PHS Div 2 is the big one. But who knows what the fuck is going on. The club appears to be making it up as they go along. Like publishing the start date as being the Saturday then doing a huge back flip when it was pointed out that that won't work and then claiming they had made a mistake - We members have only been told that there will be two races starting at the same time but apparently at the gala launch at Hammo they were told there will be a gate. It is important that the big boats that have no interest in stopping at Keppel and supporting the sponsor or the local businesses can still get to win all the trophy's. 

2h5y2r.jpg

LB,

There is only one reason that the Lota game fishing and fight club are having a race to hamo. That is to help out there own  BJ crew to collect the silverware. Afterall when you are in a corporate / Royle box  you don’t want to deal with the common riff raff when collecting your silverware at any bush club. I understand that the club is also building a new pool room to put all of BJ’s silverware. in. It’s like the Oatie’s have hamo yacht club for Oat’s as their pool room and the fight club needs to do one better. 

Pulpit 

Well you can't expose the so called elites to the violence you find at those country race finishes.

LB 15, I have had a chance to check old race documents and you are absolutely correct, thats another bottle I owe you.

• Like 1

LB 

The jungle drums and beating and is it true what they are saying about the new races in the pipe line ? 

The Boxing Day  Sydney to Hamo via Hobart race  - a pit stop in Hobart to have James pick up the crayfish and oysters and to restock up on a few bottles of Don Perry Oatlie. 

Or you could do The Pittwater to Hayman Island with a wave to the Coffs finish Boat as you sail by. - BJ’s owner only just found out he needs to own a Island to play in the main game in 100 footers in oz. 

The Sydney to Gold Coast Race is now the Sydney to RQYS so the trophies don’t need to even be taken out of the Pool room for prize giving. 

and the

Brisbane to Gladstone is now the Brisbane to Brisbane - because 100 footers don’t hang around Gladstone with all the common people. 

Pulpit 

5 hours ago, trt131 said:

LB 15, I have had a chance to check old race documents and you are absolutely correct, thats another bottle I owe you.

No worries. I checked through old bank statements.

1 hour ago, pulpit said:

Brisbane to Gladstone is now the Brisbane to Brisbane - because 100 footers don’t hang around Gladstone with all the common people. 

As someone who grew up in Gladstone, I wouldn't necessarily begrudge them that.   Not having someone hang around for the silverware though... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

No worries. I checked through old bank statements.

Your brave LB. I learnt early in married life to burn mine immediately upon receipt, exacerbated by the zany belief some cunt in the bank mailroom sprinkled my envelopes with perfume.

15 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Your brave LB. I learnt early in married life to burn mine immediately upon receipt, exacerbated by the zany belief some cunt in the bank mailroom sprinkled my envelopes with perfume.

My wife was way ahead of AIS, trackers or even ‘find my iphone’. For years she would monitor my progress along this vast coastline but watching the credit card statements. ‘Look he is in Eden/Makay/ Coffs Harbour’. Some things were paid for in cash of course...

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

My wife was way ahead of AIS, trackers or even ‘find my iphone’. For years she would monitor my progress along this vast coastline but watching the credit card statements. ‘Look he is in Eden/Makay/ Coffs Harbour’. Some things were paid for in cash of course...

Kings Cross?

3 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Kings Cross?

Only in Bars at inappropriate hours. Never was much interested in losing my amateur status particularly not with some scagged out tattooed street whore with a complexion like wet newspaper. God there were some sights to be seen up the cross in days of old. Very differant now. 

2 hours ago, lydia said:

What, bail for the bowman!

IIRC Dog had to cash a cheque for that one.

On 9/4/2018 at 9:52 AM, hoppy said:

On 9/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, jack_sparrow said:

The crypto currency crowd have been beavering away in Puerto Rico post Hurrican Maria. They are an odd crowd sort of cross between skateboarders, gamers and middle aged dot com wealthy types.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/16/puerto-rico-lures-blockchain-industry-to-help-fund-its-comeback.html

Kepple owner probably now enroute to this crypto conference 

https://crypto-finance-conference.com/en/all-events/cfc-us-at-the-ritz-carlton-hotel?gclid=CjwKCAjwt7PcBRBbEiwAfwfVGPeL07ccAcW69vFXrKl45OQZLfHUgQNkCHOrGWYgCRq540hY4jCZoBoCaX0QAvD_BwE

I think that crypto currency deal just tanked.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I think that crypto currency deal just tanked.

LOL

Crypto currencies are just a fricken joke. 

The only value in them is as a way for smart gamblers to make a lot of money off stupid investors. It's worse than the stockmarket during an unsubstainable bull run. 

Funnily enough it has all gone really quite.

No chance of a surprise announcement at Opening Day tomorrow I guess.

Starting the hear rumbles about a showdown between the  boat owners and the flag officers at the Lota Fishing and Fighting Club on this one in coming weeks.

The real legal fights from the Rumble in Rocky now starting.

Witness lists will be interesting.

30 minutes ago, lydia said:

Starting the hear rumbles about a showdown between the  boat owners and the flag officers at the Lota Fishing and Fighting Club on this one in coming weeks.

The real legal fights from the Rumble in Rocky now starting.

Witness lists will be interesting.

So sad. What happened to a few beers & sorting it out. Maybe even an apology.

2 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Scan that concept disappeared around the time YC bars started mixing rum with ice.

By “Sorting it out” I did not mean fighting. Can I buy you a beer? So about all this, in hindsight I was probably in wrong & i’m sorry. 

On 9/24/2018 at 12:32 PM, SCANAS said:

By “Sorting it out” I did not mean fighting. Can I buy you a beer? So about all this, in hindsight I was probably in wrong & i’m sorry. 

Apparently it is easier to move the race to Hamo than to admit you were wrong. And yet these people think it is normal for grown men to enjoy getting dressed up in their absurd parody of a navel officers uniform and signing 'God save the Queen' on opening day.

• Like 1

Word out of the government is Great Kepple has been offloaded to a Singapore/Taiwanese consortium with settlement expected next year. With approvals in place for a marina and a runway that can take direct flights, it could well be a race destination sometime down the line. Might be a place for some enterprising chap to take on the role of RO and the island running the show, not pretend naval officers.

Most of the people I’ve spoken to are keen for direct to Hamo race. Even if it’s just the inaugural race to tick it off the list. Depending on Cat rating of course. 

6 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Most of the people I’ve spoken to are keen for direct to Hamo race. 

Maybe but a 600 miler when it is light and or out of the north will cure that infliction very quickly.

27 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

Most of the people I’ve spoken to are keen for direct to Hamo race. Even if it’s just the inaugural race to tick it off the list. Depending on Cat rating of course. 

The race is being marketed as the 'Homo's Hobart'.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

Only natural... Wasn't the B2K marked as the Homo's Melbourne to Devonport?

10 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Only natural... Wasn't the B2K marked as the Homo's Melbourne to Devonport?

If you bought a boat you could find out.

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Maybe but a 600 miler when it is light and or out of the north will cure that infliction very quickly.

I’d try anything once! :) 

2 minutes ago, SCANAS said:

I’d try anything once! :) 

Image result for fat chick in bikini

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Image result for fat chick in bikini

53 minutes ago, shaggybaxter said:

EAD6D813-1B2B-4914-9267-B6AEDBDA7D38.thumb.jpeg.907731a6873b1673d45785879b6e8b1c.jpeg

Stop reading my diary when I’m off watch you two, grrr!

3 hours ago, LB 15 said:

If you bought a boat you could find out.

No need, knowing that you have been doing the race since the first B2K is enough to confirm it to me.