SemiSalt

Catalina 25 rigging question

The Catalina 25 has two halyards. One cleats near the cabin top on the starboard side and the other opposite it on the port side. A winch is mounted on the mast above the cleat on the port side.

I have two friends who own Catalina 25s. One boat is set up with the main halyard cleating on port and jib halyard cleating on starboard. The other has the main on port and the jib on starboard.  Who is right? 

The guy who has them led back to the cockpit.

Just now, SloopJonB said:

I saw a C25 on the hard this morning, and it seemed to have a halyard led to a turning block on the cabin top, port side, about a foot from the mast, and thence back to the cockpit. I couldn't make out whether it was for the main or the jib. 

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

I'd say the right one is whoever has the halyards in the same place as the reefing lines

Its clear that the only true answer is which color halyard is which, then you'll know which side each goes on, yeah ?

Arguments in favor of main on starboard: It's the convention to have the main on starbord. Winch is on port for the jib halyard which can not otherwise be tensioned effectively. The main luff can be tensioned by block & tackle downhaul on the sliding gooseneck.

Arguments in favor of main on port: Most boats will were fitted with Cruising Designs furlers which have their own halyard, so a winch on the jib halyard would be useless. The guy whose boat is rigged that way is the by far the better and more experienced sailor.   

Winch on the jib halyard is not useless. Using the mast winch on the jib halyard becomes a little bit more essential when the size of the 130 gets larger than on the C 25.

On a lot of boats with overlapping 130 Genoas on furlers, the mast winch will handle the larger Genoa(once a season type thing for most cruisers, but also to ease and tighten if you're playing with mast rake and have a furler foil), and as in the case of the 25 you're looking at, the main halyard will be led back to a cabin top winch via a turning block. Fairly common setup in this range of boats. 

I've always rigged my 130 furler to the mast winch and cleat off, and led the main to the cockpit(31ft sloop). Ideally, you'd have a stopper or cleat ahead of the mast winch to unload the winch, but I'd say on a boat of this size not totally necessary. 

With my Battcar system, the loads or nominal resistance when raising the main are a fraction of what you get when raising the 130. Mast winch is to starboard and main halyard is led back to cabin top winch on port side. So much for tradition.

Of course this is just one way to set things up. A lot of boats, think fractional rigs with very large mainsails, are going to have very different set ups.

Then again, come to think of it, I've sailed larger boats (40-50) that use the starboard side mast winch and stopper for multiple reef points on the mainsail, so I guess every deal is different. 

With the Cruising Designs furler, the ship's halyard is not used. The jib is hoisted with a separate line which runs to the top of the foil and back down to the tack. No use for the winch on the mast. 

My C25 had main on starboard, but it doesn’t matter.  Both halyards were external so it was easy to flip them. 

We had a third halyard for the spinnaker too, that was also external but went to a block mounted to the front of the masthead  

C25 is a simple boat, don’t make it too complicated.  

On my C25 I had a CDI FF4 with the integral halyard you describe. I used the masthead halyard on the winch side to hoist and tension the mainsail. I ran the Genoa up with the tack loose then used a casacding loop system to tension the jib.

23 minutes ago, sshow bob said:

On my C25 I had a CDI FF4 with the integral halyard you describe. I used the masthead halyard on the winch side to hoist and tension the mainsail. I ran the Genoa up with the tack loose then used a casacding loop system to tension the jib.

All of which makes perfect sense to me. Thanks.