nwslider

Melges 24 turnbuckles and tuning

I am new to Melges 24 and reading through the tuning guides I see the instructions for rig tension and changes based on wind speed.  I found one guild that mentioned the # of turns for the wind range changes were for Ronstan Calibrated turnbuckles and tuners should use 1/2 turns if they have normal open turnbuckles.  I don't see this in any other tuning guides, I have the open turnbuckles on my boat, should I be using 1/2 turns?

Should I be using any specific tuning guide or should I only be using the guide for the sails that came with the boat from the specific sailmaker?

If you have the newer style turnbuckles then use half turns. 

We have found the north guide to be a pretty good starting point. 

Get your rake set right and make sure the mast is straight. Once your rake is right it is easy to ensure that the rig stays properly tuned with a loos gauge. 

The goal is to keep a little bit of slack in the leeward shrouds and lowers while sailing upwind. 

When it get's really windy and you have so much backstay on that the main is just folding in half and inverting upwind, that is a sign that you need more lowers. 

Top teams are putting on as many as 40 half turns on the caps when the breeze is on. 

If the guide you are looking at maxes out at something like 20-24 full turns, its written for open turnbuckles.  If it maxes out at something like 40+ full turns, its written for Ronstan calibrated - you can then translate accordingly.

I'd start with the guide written for the sails you are using, or if you are really just starting out, whichever guide makes the most sense to you (or, as ASP says, North aint bad).

One of the best pieces of advice we got when first starting out was "If you can't get the boat to sail flat by adjusting the main controls & backstay, go up another step regardless of the wind-speed."  And the reciprocal: "if you are not depowering at all with main controls & backstay and you're pulling people off the rail, go down a step).

Otherwise its easy to get caught up in "but thats what the guide says for 15 kts" and sail around on your ear.  As you get better at depowering without rig tension, this rule of thumb still works.

• Like 1

Not to highjack the thread but have a related question. Been out enough times where the wind has exceeded my expectations and the Main sail inverts quite a bit going up wind. Is that typically a sign that all shrouds need to be tighter or just the lowers?  On the fly, is  cranking the backstay, then the Cunningham and Vang the solution?

Idk about 20 full  turns on the open body. That's a lot.  The north guide has 20 turns on the calibrated turnbuckles, which is 10 full turns on the open body. 

We stick to the north guide, we like the lowers pretty soft with north at base, but at 12knots tws we add another turn on the lowers.  For reference our boat will hold tensions on the loos B gauge at 17-19 knot setting (+10  and 7.5 turns), uppers 28.5 and lowers at 27. When we back down to base we get 16 on upper and some where between 3-4 fingers on lowers.   

The keys are to carry enough rig tension to hold headway sag when breeze on, and enough lowers to keep main pulling when back stay is on.  

12 hours ago, Brent Cummings said:

Not to highjack the thread but have a related question. Been out enough times where the wind has exceeded my expectations and the Main sail inverts quite a bit going up wind. Is that typically a sign that all shrouds need to be tighter or just the lowers?  On the fly, is  cranking the backstay, then the Cunningham and Vang the solution?

if you crank the backstay on and the main folds in half, put on more lowers until you can reach max backstay without breaking the main in half. 

Lot's of teams have special stiff battens for heavy air as well. Helps put the main to sleep in 18+

Irish - woops - yes, I turned it around - you are correct.  Something like 10+ turns is all the way up with open-body turnbuckles.  Our modified guide (based on Ullman) maxes out at 13.5 turns both upper and lowers.  See attached.

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, tanzer1645 said:

Try it next time you are in a "struggling to keep 2 kts of boat speed" situation - we spend a lot of time at the bottom end of the scale at home and works for us.

We call that the Seattle setting.