fucket

Nexus NX2 Multi XL display - polarized sunglasses?

Can't read my new (to me) Multi XL display without tilting my head. Defective or were these all like this?

1 hour ago, fucket said:

Can't read my new (to me) Multi XL display without tilting my head. Defective or were these all like this?

There was a bad batch of those displays back when it was still Nexus.  I got a couple of them replaced for free.  I don't think they are available anymore (as new) so you might be out of luck but you can always try to see if you can get Garmin to give you at least a big discount on their replacement equivalent displays.  Or talk with Achilles from Chicago Marine Electronics - he may have some floating around

6 hours ago, fucket said:

This is common issue with all LCD displays. Happens to plotters, instruments, everything LCD. If you're wearing polarized glasses, you have to tilt your head a bit. I'm not sure what Christian is talking about.

6 hours ago, fucket said:

Actually, I take it back, Christian is right. It must be defective. Tell ya what, I'm a nice guy so Ill help you out. I'll take it off your hands... Let me know where to send the shipping label and you can send it to me for free... 

Yippee. I guess I can try to pawn it off on some other unsuspecting fuck on the SA classifieds.

15 hours ago, jarcher said:

This is common issue with all LCD displays. Happens to plotters, instruments, everything LCD. If you're wearing polarized glasses, you have to tilt your head a bit. I'm not sure what Christian is talking about.

NOPE - to the entire post.  Proper LCD displays will be polarized (if at all) in the vertical axis which will pass through sunglasses with no problem as they are polarized to cut the glare coming off water ( which is horizontally polarized)

The last batch of the Multi XL displays that Nexus got manufactured was screwed up as their mfg used the wrong LCD's.  They never got to rectify this as it was just when Garmin was taking over the company and they obviously had no interest in continuing the Multi XL displays as they replaced it with their own large display.

BTW - this was straight from the horse's mouth (aka my buddies at Nexus in Sweden)

At least educate yourself if you are going to tell me I am wrong - which I am not on this

47 minutes ago, Christian said:

NOPE - to the entire post.  Proper LCD displays will be polarized (if at all) in the vertical axis which will pass through sunglasses with no problem as they are polarized to cut the glare coming off water ( which is horizontally polarized)

The last batch of the Multi XL displays that Nexus got manufactured was screwed up as their mfg used the wrong LCD's.  They never got to rectify this as it was just when Garmin was taking over the company and they obviously had no interest in continuing the Multi XL displays as they replaced it with their own large display.

BTW - this was straight from the horse's mouth (aka my buddies at Nexus in Sweden)

At least educate yourself if you are going to tell me I am wrong - which I am not on this

I will check on that. If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but I don't think I am. As for LCDs in general, using them with polarized sunglasses is a common issue. As far as educating myself, I know Nexus gear pretty well, having designed a Nexus instrument and all, in consultation with the guys in Sweden, and New Zealand, and Kansas... And I don't go suggesting that people with a gWind connect it to the wind port on the server, as you did in another thread. Perhaps you should educate yourself...

57 minutes ago, jarcher said:

I will check on that. If I'm wrong I'll admit it, but I don't think I am. As for LCDs in general, using them with polarized sunglasses is a common issue. As far as educating myself, I know Nexus gear pretty well, having designed a Nexus instrument and all, in consultation with the guys in Sweden, and New Zealand, and Kansas... And I don't go suggesting that people with a gWind connect it to the wind port on the server, as you did in another thread. Perhaps you should educate yourself...

Can you point me to that?

On 6/13/2018 at 12:32 AM, Christian said:

Can you point me to that?

I guess not - just like the claims regarding the displays which you clearly don't know about either

I've had Nexus instruments for some 20 years and was a dealer for maybe 15 of those. The issue with polarized glasses and their digital displays (and some other manufacturers digital displays) was common for as far back as I can remember. All the Nexus/ NX2 displays I ever had were fine all along. Simple fix was I got a good pair on non-polarized sun glasses. Problem solved.