Sign in to follow this  
Raked Aft\\

Penetrating fluids

Objective lab data.

Just a friendly fyi for future rust battles...

Bottom line, the ones they tested all pretty much suck. Also, one wonders why the biggies (Liquid Wrench, Break Free, Kroil, ATF + Acetone, etc.) were left out. I suspect Seafoam Deep Creep might not prevail over at least one and possibly all of those...

penetratingOil.png

55 minutes ago, IStream said:

Bottom line, the ones they tested all pretty much suck. Also, one wonders why the biggies (Liquid Wrench, Break Free, Kroil, ATF + Acetone, etc.) were left out. I suspect Seafoam Deep Creep might not prevail over at least one and possibly all of those...

penetratingOil.png

here you go...

looks like LR won out, slightly different testing parameters...

3 hours ago, Raked Aft\\ said:

here you go...

looks like LR won out, slightly different testing parameters...

Cool, thanks.

Similar, but funnier.

Snake oil....

508349999.jpg

After applying penetrant (GIBB is my goto) to fastener I give the fastener a couple of solid whacks with a hammer. Read somewhere that this creates vibrations that help the fluid penetrate. Have no idea if it really helps.

That guy that does the tests thinks he is being scientific with his test design, and  often presents his results with commentary that is nothing more than his guess at what is going on.  I watched one the other day on his test of 5 minute epoxies, and he pretty much tested them all in peel... which is a pretty lame way to test a glue.  I guess I learned what 5 minute epoxy sucks slightly less badly in peel than others, but certainly nothing more.  Even shitty 5 minute epoxies list the tensile and compression strength of their product, and this is based on lab testing.   At any rate, if I’m fixing something that’s going to be pulling away from something else, I’m going to use fasteners, not glue.  

As far as the penetrating oils is concerned, I’m a big fan of ATF and acetone.