2savage

Suggestions for a Maine/RI Hurricane Hole

Heading Down East around Sept 2nd.  If a named storm threatens, what are my best options?  I'll  be any where from Newport to Mt. Desert Island.

Southern Maine- we are awfully protected (Harraseeket River)- pm as you get closer

Midcoast Maine- Round Pond harbor is insanely protected- but I'm not sure about their transient capabilities

Robinhood Marina just SW of Boothbay.  The Basin just on the western side of Cape Small (eastern Casco Bay)

Portsmouth, NH/Kittery Me you would want to go up river, note that the currents can ebb at 5-6 kts in places 

If you're near Boston, Constitution Marina is farthest in and has the least fetch from most directions.

23 hours ago, Veeger said:

Robinhood Marina just SW of Boothbay.  The Basin just on the western side of Cape Small (eastern Casco Bay)

Second on Robinhood.

Too wide a range, many good ports there, jus want to avoid S facing ones, wonder if Plymouth/Duxbury is good? Not Green Hbr.

Buzzards gets the surge, maybe Warren or Fall River side?

Probably nothing on the Cape or Elizabeths? Sandwich?

If you can get in the Annisquam that's probably good, Salem?

Merry Meeting?

Yarmouth? Rocckland? Belfast? Supposedly the Deer Island side is good.

Fox Is thorofare?

1 hour ago, Bruno said:

New Bedford/Fairhaven as long as you get in before they close the hurricane gates.

On 6/12/2018 at 2:57 PM, ryley said:

If you're near Boston, Constitution Marina is farthest in and has the least fetch from most directions.

I liveaboard at Constitution and can attest that it is well protected. Not sure I'd trust the docks though

2 minutes ago, ghost37 said:

I liveaboard at Constitution and can attest that it is well protected. My only concern is the hilariously terrible docks. Last winter the dock in front of my boat fractured 3 times, once catastrophically. They're not supported by pilings so you can look down a long dock in a blow and watch it snaking around as it struggles to support dozens of large, heavy boats. 

yeah, it definitely helps to be either on T dock or inside on C or B. A is fine along the bulkhead, but E, G, and D are notoriously weak. at least E and a third of G are new now.

7 hours ago, Bruno said:

Too wide a range, many good ports there, jus want to avoid S facing ones, wonder if Plymouth/Duxbury is good? Not Green Hbr.

Merry Meeting?

Fox Is thorofare?

Nope for Rockland and Belfast---too open, too large, too exposed.

Seal Bay on Vinalhaven would be better than the Fox Island Thoroughfare.

Yarmouth is up a river (good), S Freeport is apt to be crowded with moorings, not my first choice...

7 hours ago, Bruno said:

Merry Meeting?

Fox Is thorofare?

I might give the Kickamuit River (east of the Bristol peninsula, with a narrow entrance and very high ground on both sides) a long look.

On 6/12/2018 at 12:18 PM, BillDBastard said:

Buzzards Bay, Hadley's Inner Harbor behind Bull Island.

Cape Cod, maybe Sandwich.

Down East, Somes Sound.

Hadleys may seem like a good hurricane hole, but from what Ive seen, its not. Its small and likely crowded, no public moorings and poor holding for ground tackle. Not alot of space for plenty of scope either. 

I've had issues in Hadley Harbor in the past due to over crowding and the holding near Bull Island is poor (rocky).  Apart from that there are some good suggestions here.  What about Falmouth Me?  If I'm near Newport, how is Greenwich Bay?

Could be. Years back a friend had a hurricane mooring back in there. Free for us to use so long as he wasn't on it. So the only storm we weathered there, we were on his mooring.

Weathered a nasty blow, several actually, in Vineyard Haven... which isn't so bad but for the number of boats and a bit of lump. Mid 70's the Harbor Master arranged for 35 or so boats to transit the draw bridge into Lagoon Pond. Sand bottom, soft landing if things go pear shaped and tons of room IIRC. Fetch is a bit of an issue but it is otherwise well protected. One thing I clearly remember is that boat was covered in a redish silica from the bluffs that coated the boats. Nothing soap and water could cure though.

23 hours ago, 2savage said:

I've had issues in Hadley Harbor in the past due to over crowding and the holding near Bull Island is poor (rocky).  Apart from that there are some good suggestions here.  What about Falmouth Me?  If I'm near Newport, how is Greenwich Bay?

I live in Falmouth, and would love to recommend it- but it is not well protected from, well, any direction really... during the October nor'easter I think something like 4 or 5 were lost there... and, like someone said earlier (in response to my suggestion), the Harraseeket is crowded- I hadn't been thinking of an anchoring-type situation- you are still welcome to shoot me a pm if it looks like your best bet, however...