Dohcdelsol93

Recommend snorkeling spots near marathon

Recommended Posts

Only been to the keys once before and other than kayaking have not been out on the water.  Want to take my sailboat down but having never sailed outside the lake i grew up on i figured renting a power boat with navigation and charts, much smaller and much less draft would be a good idea for the first time.  Only have a boat for the first 3 days of the trip.  Fingers crossed weather stays good.  We will be on the Atlantic side.

 

I know there are a few reefs right off marathon.  Which one would you recomend?  If we have time we will visit more than one but which one would you consider cant miss? Will be going next Sunday or Monday.

 

Thanks guys/gal

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The best snorkeling I've experienced down there was Looe Key, about 5 miles SW of Bahia Honda. As long as it hasn't been too stormy and the water is clear, it's excellent. It's a large area and not so deep that you can't see anything from the surface. It would be a good 20 miles one way from Marathon, if not further. Better if you can trailer down to Bahia Honda and launch there. Or just take a commercial trip out there later in your trip. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dohcdelsol93 said:

Only been to the keys once before and other than kayaking have not been out on the water.  Want to take my sailboat down but having never sailed outside the lake i grew up on i figured renting a power boat with navigation and charts, much smaller and much less draft would be a good idea for the first time.  Only have a boat for the first 3 days of the trip.  Fingers crossed weather stays good.  We will be on the Atlantic side.

 

I know there are a few reefs right off marathon.  Which one would you recomend?  If we have time we will visit more than one but which one would you consider cant miss? Will be going next Sunday or Monday.

 

Thanks guys/gal

Why don't you just find a dive operation,  they'll know the best spots, etc...  you don't have to hassle with renting, navigation, etc..

 

plus you support the local economy..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend that you don't go snorkeling underneath the 7 mile bridge where that 13 footer bit my 150 lb Tarpon in half

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really into the party charters snorkeling trips or fishing.  For the price of a 4 hr trip i have rented a boat for 3 days.  Will get me some fishing, sight seeing and some snorkeling in for an area i plan on sailing around in the next few years.  

 

Im renting the boat locally, shopping there locally, eating locally...how much more do you want me to support their economy? Buy them all matching hats?  

 

I wont have a trailer for the boat. Its delivered and picked up at the sea wall. 

 

I wouldn't trust random people who rarley use a boat more than once a year to launch/retrieve my boat either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dorado said:

I recommend that you don't go snorkeling underneath the 7 mile bridge where that 13 footer bit my 150 lb Tarpon in half

Lol...i plan on fishing around the 7 mile bridge but no swimming around it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was gonna say that Sombrero Reef has some nice snorkeling, and further north, the reef off John Pennecamp state park is gorgeous. If you just want some close shallow water stuff w/out having to take a dive boat out?  Pigeon Key is limited, but, nice, and calm water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dohcdelsol93 said:

Lol...i plan on fishing around the 7 mile bridge but no swimming around it!

That, I can help you with. What time of year will you be there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill be leaving out of key colony beach.  I found some gps coordinates for sombrero reef. Do they have mooring balls there?  I have 200 rode and anchor but with so much grass around the areas i went and my comfortable free dive 20 ft or less setting anchor by hand seems almost mandatory.. If I can get that deep. Thats what she said

 

I dont want to be the jerk that tears up the sea grass

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ill be there Satuday morning....boat is delivered Sunday

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

During my days at FAU, we used to dive for lobsters off the beach and had several encounters with Moray Eels.  Several years later we went on a group dive trip in the Keys.  Before we hit the water, the divemaster started passing around hot dogs.  I asked them what they were for, the master responded that they were for feeding the Morays.  I looked at the hot dog and my fingers and said you people are stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never understood why people would want to feed a 6ft plus eel that's known to be temperamental.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dohcdelsol93 said:

Ill be leaving out of key colony beach.  I found some gps coordinates for sombrero reef. Do they have mooring balls there?  I have 200 rode and anchor but with so much grass around the areas i went and my comfortable free dive 20 ft or less setting anchor by hand seems almost mandatory.. If I can get that deep. Thats what she said

 

I dont want to be the jerk that tears up the sea grass

There are indeed mooring balls - competition for space will be a little tight on a weekend day.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweet...we'll plan on Monday. Weather pending.  

Any known issues with the current charts from marathon to the reef since the hurricane?  On the 14 hr drive down the admiral will be working up our planned destinations for the gps chart plotter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Fat Point Jack said:

During my days at FAU, we used to dive for lobsters off the beach and had several encounters with Moray Eels.  Several years later we went on a group dive trip in the Keys.  Before we hit the water, the divemaster started passing around hot dogs.  I asked them what they were for, the master responded that they were for feeding the Morays.  I looked at the hot dog and my fingers and said you people are stupid

doing my open water at lake travis, we came upon a catfish about 14"s long,  we tear off pieces of hot dog to feed him.. I was teasing him with a full dog.. he sucked that whole thing right out of my hand..   by the end of the weekend he was about 10"s around.. fattest cat I've ever seen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

doing my open water at lake travis, we came upon a catfish about 14"s long,  we tear off pieces of hot dog to feed him.. I was teasing him with a full dog.. he sucked that whole thing right out of my hand..   by the end of the weekend he was about 10"s around.. fattest cat I've ever seen...

One of my favorite diving practical jokes is to bring a small can of vienna sausages along on he boat. At the right moment during dive preparations, surreptitiously stuff a few down between the tank and BC/backpack of the victim. It works in the pockets of the BC as well, but often can be found by the victim during predive checks. Somewhere I have a picture of Mrs PB completely enveloped in a ball of blue striped grunts all trying get at the sausages. 

Well...........I thought it was funny...............Mrs PB.......not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2018 at 11:10 PM, Dorado said:

I recommend that you don't go snorkeling underneath the 7 mile bridge where that 13 footer bit my 150 lb Tarpon in half

13 footer what?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 8:57 PM, Point Break said:

One of my favorite diving practical jokes is to bring a small can of vienna sausages along on he boat. At the right moment during dive preparations, surreptitiously stuff a few down between the tank and BC/backpack of the victim. It works in the pockets of the BC as well, but often can be found by the victim during predive checks. Somewhere I have a picture of Mrs PB completely enveloped in a ball of blue striped grunts all trying get at the sausages. 

Well...........I thought it was funny...............Mrs PB.......not so much.

Haha, I'll bet that was funny.  Once!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

13 footer what?  

Tiger I think. Definitely not a hammer . Maybe the mack daddy of all Bulls. Had the squarish nose.

I was about 90 yards away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dohcdelsol93 said:

So I should kayak fish the 7 mile bridge?  

Why notte?  Juste wache oute forre the Navey shippes, that ROW thige canbe trickey.                   :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Tiger I think. Definitely not a hammer . Maybe the mack daddy of all Bulls. Had the squarish nose.

I was about 90 yards away. 

13 foot bull. That would be something to avoid at any cost. Pit Bull of the Ocean. Mean SOB.

Think I’ve never seen one. Maybe once diving there was one sorta off in the “gloom” I thought might be a bull. I got out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

smartte                            :)

Yeah....sharks generally do not bother me, I enjoy seeing them but that’s one mean dangerous fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yeah....sharks generally do not bother me, I enjoy seeing them but that’s one mean dangerous fish. 

Bulles our notheng to fuck withe.        Give waye, an pleantey of spaice......................                 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Bulles our notheng to fuck withe.        Give waye, an pleantey of spaice......................                 :)

Daughter did live shark research. They would stay in the water for anything except bulls. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Point Break said:

13 foot bull. That would be something to avoid at any cost. Pit Bull of the Ocean. Mean SOB.

Think I’ve never seen one. Maybe once diving there was one sorta off in the “gloom” I thought might be a bull. I got out.

Yup, they're grumpy alright. At the time I didn't think Bulls got that big, but I have since learned that it may be a possibility.

The problem with the Keys bridges is that the sharks get habituated to eating Tarpon that are the size of human beings,  picking them off the lines without having to work very hard for it. So they get BIG. The fisherman / shark relationship is symbiotic. 

In the early 80's there was a well known hammerhead named Mother that lived around the Channel 2 and Channel 5 bridges near Islamorada. The guides said she was roughly 18' as compared to the Flats boats they were using. She was a god they all made involuntary sacrifices too.

Don't snorkel there either.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dorado said:

Yup, they're grumpy alright. At the time I didn't think Bulls got that big, but I have since learned that it may be a possibility.

The problem with the Keys bridges is that the sharks get habituated to eating Tarpon that are the size of human beings,  picking them off the lines without having to work very hard for it. So they get BIG. The fisherman / shark relationship is symbiotic. 

In the early 80's there was a well known hammerhead named Mother that lived around the Channel 2 and Channel 5 bridges near Islamorada. The guides said she was roughly 18' as compared to the Flats boats they were using. She was a god they all made involuntary sacrifices too.

Don't snorkel there either.

 

 

Must be impressive to watch! 

Re:Hammerheads......been in with a few of those, none 18 feet though, and they’re a pretty docile shark. Course with a ready supply of flopping struggling fish....that’s not a good combination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Point Break said:
9 hours ago, Dorado said:

Tiger I think. Definitely not a hammer . Maybe the mack daddy of all Bulls. Had the squarish nose.

I was about 90 yards away. 

13 foot bull. That would be something to avoid at any cost. Pit Bull of the Ocean. Mean SOB.

Think I’ve never seen one. Maybe once diving there was one sorta off in the “gloom” I thought might be a bull. I got out.

I don't like Bulls.  At.  All.  Been on two dive trips where Bulls have come in.  Once in Fiji and once in the Bahamas.  We did a couple of "Shark Dives" in Fiji where both Bulls and Tigers were present.  The Tigers were FUCKING BIG, 12+.  probably closer to 14-15ft.  The Bulls were a bit smaller, probably in the 10-11ft range.   The Bulls were fast, skittish, agitated and they just made me nervous.  OTOH, I've been up close to big Tigers on a couple of occasions and a big hammerhead once.  Neither of them bothered me.  They were very calm and laid back.  They swam slowly, more inquisitive than anything else.  As long as you were also calm, they didn't seem to take much notice of us.  The most important thing is don't act like or look like food to them.  

As an aside, one of the cooler sharks SWMBO and I have seen recently was an Oceanic White Tip.  We were doing our safety stop after a dive in the Red Sea last year and a small-ish one came and hung out with us for a while.  She just slowly swam around our group for about 10 min while were were at 5 meters.  Very cool and very beautiful animal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe GW are requiem sharks. Bulls and Tigers yes. GW no. However slight taxonomic differences aside....those three species are responsible for the most unprovoked attack humans. and the Bull is the meanest SOB of the lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was being sarcastic about kayak fishing the 7 mile bridge.  We've snrorkeled at the parking areas near the bridges, the current moves more quickly than id appreciate in a kayak.  

 

In Venice/Indian rocks i didnt notice more than a few feet between high and low tide 

 

I was a little shocked to see the boats raise/drop several feet between tides on our first trip. Glad i didn't bring the boat and tie her up tight to the wall our first trip.  Currents, tides, shipping lanes, all stuff we don't have to deal with at the lake.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Point Break said:

I don't believe GW are requiem sharks. Bulls and Tigers yes. GW no. However slight taxonomic differences aside....those three species are responsible for the most unprovoked attack humans. and the Bull is the meanest SOB of the lot.

Requiem sharks are sharks of the family Carcharhinidae in the orderCarcharhiniformes,”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Requiem sharks are sharks of the family Carcharhinidae in the orderCarcharhiniformes,”

Well....your link is correct when describing Requiem sharks which are -  as you linked - in the Order Carchariniform and and Family Carcharhinidae. Those may be called carcharinids. You will note the GW is NOT in the same Order or Family and are therefore NOT carcharinids aka Requiem sharks. They are only in the same  Class of fish with cartilage instead of bones. They diverge there. As I said in my post, GW are not Requiem Sharks. 

 

classification-powerpoint1-of-great-white-shark-powerpoint.jpg

animal-project-dr-terdal-8-638.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

I did not refer to a GW as a requiem shark, if you would care to reread my post. Carcharodon is, though, archetypical. 

You said they were both carcharinids. They're not. I suppose I should have driven by as its a minor error, but I did not. Sometimes I get locked up on detail. Sorry.

 

Quote

Carcharhinid, also called requiem shark, any member of the shark family Carcharhinidae, which includes about 12 genera and 50 species found worldwide.

 https://www.britannica.com/animal/carcharhinid

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Point Break said:

You said they were both carcharinids. They're not. I suppose I should have driven by as its a minor error, but I did not. Sometimes I get locked up on detail. Sorry.

 

 https://www.britannica.com/animal/carcharhinid

 

What you are is an expert at passive-aggressive. My compliments. We should mutually ignore. See ya

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Max Rockatansky said:

What you are is an expert at passive-aggressive. My compliments. We should mutually ignore. See ya

I guess you hate being wrong to the point you cannot acknowledge it. Mutually ignore is one way to deal with it. Other way would be to say "gosh I was not aware that Carcharinid was the same as Requiem. Thanks" 

I might also point out, you pressed the question. 

I can do mutual ignore as an option though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now