shaggy

Researching move to Oregon

So we are gonna officially be empty nesters in 2 or so years.  Work from home so we have options.  Wifie was looking at places to go after the kiddo graduates college.  We were looking at places around Lincoln beach??  Good, Bad, Ugly?? Not so worried about school districts, but, taxes, quality of life, distance to shopping, restaurants and beaches is important.  Obviously have the 20 to play with, so YC access is key.  (Fern ridge and Kalamath have a bunch I hear) Have lived in CO since 88 and the 300 days of sunshine is driving me nutz.  :)  Will do decent on the house here so $$ is really not a prob, but prob want to stay under 1,000,000.  Looking around the google machine, there are some pretty sweet lake houses in the area, but noticed that there weren't too many yacht clubs on said lakes, more like summer camps that had sailing.  Are the lakes around there decent for swimming/fishing and obviously sailing?

Any and all advice appreciated.

11 minutes ago, shaggy said:

So we are gonna officially be empty nesters in 2 or so years.  Work from home so we have options.  Wifie was looking at places to go after the kiddo graduates college.  We were looking at places around Lincoln beach??  Good, Bad, Ugly?? Not so worried about school districts, but, taxes, quality of life, distance to shopping, restaurants and beaches is important.  Obviously have the 20 to play with, so YC access is key.  (Fern ridge and Kalamath have a bunch I hear) Have lived in CO since 88 and the 300 days of sunshine is driving me nutz.  :)  Will do decent on the house here so $$ is really not a prob, but prob want to stay under 1,000,000.  Looking around the google machine, there are some pretty sweet lake houses in the area, but noticed that there weren't too many yacht clubs on said lakes, more like summer camps that had sailing.  Are the lakes around there decent for swimming/fishing and obviously sailing?

I would look for a house near a Deschute's pub..    hmmm 300 days of sunshine to none..   

Klamath lake is the only decent sized lake in Oregon and it's not very big - 20 miles long or so. It's also shallow.

The Columbia is where most of the sailing goes on. The coast is serious business.

I think more people should move to Oregon. Fill out that sandbagged shaped state and stop the flood of californicators from getting any further North!

:)

WL

Just look at Google Earth, if it's green, its because it rains ALOT!

I'd recommend one of those patches of intelligent life by the coast.

Get too far east and you'll be dealing with people like Cliven Bundy

Hello Friends,  I have lived in Oregon for the last 40 years mostly in the Eugene area....I sail on fern ridge lake on my Santana 23k...we have 2 yacht clubs  here Triton yacht club and the Eugene yacht club and we have a very active S20 fleet...in the Eugene area you are approx. 60 miles to the ocean and a little more to the cascade mountains excellent fishing in both places get hold of me Shaggy ….Mike

image.png.7a1fdb0de0a0d3eb51bdc9d9d9060e2a.png

Jesus, I thought we were bad, All I got is a Square...  Notice the blue going down the only place civilization resides, that would be the front range. :) . I assume the population is about the same on the OR coast??  No?

image.png

donno why the second map took..  god bless..:)

3 hours ago, ovb said:

Hello Friends,  I have lived in Oregon for the last 40 years mostly in the Eugene area....I sail on fern ridge lake on my Santana 23k...we have 2 yacht clubs  here Triton yacht club and the Eugene yacht club and we have a very active S20 fleet...in the Eugene area you are approx. 60 miles to the ocean and a little more to the cascade mountains excellent fishing in both places get hold of me Shaggy ….Mike

So Mike,

Is the Lincoln beach area nice??  Never really been west of grand junction(flown to SD and skied at kirkwood oh yea sailed in LB race week and  in SD for u20 nats once, but never spent much time up north.  Again, hate the 300 days of sunshine and the wildfires, burned out grass and the receding res levels.  Would love to go somewhere to start anew and put some roots down before I am 70ish..  

The Deal with Oregon is the summers are very nice...not too hot, no humidity  and when folks visit is in the summers....the winters are mild also but gray....overcast and drizzle...but no snow storms or below zero weeks...the Lincoln city area is nice kinda touristy for my likening... closest S20 sailing would be Newport with the Yaquina bay yacht club...great folks....politically the Portland area and parts of the north coast and Eugene are liberal  with pockets of conservatives intermixed and the rest of the state being conservative... makes for interesting discussions and fun partys...Mike

The coastal towns are beautiful but also small and isolated and to me anyway have the potential for bleakness and depression.  This is after living near the south coast and spending 5 years traveling through it and the rogue valley for Navy reserve stuff while living in Eureka/Arcata, which are basically south south Oregon including the dichotomy of red/blue.  p.s. thanks for the map above, it will be handy when traveling through this summer and listening to my wife say, "We should move here!" every twenty-three miles :) .   Not that politics are that important but the mood and tone of an area are certainly relevant.  Coos Bay has some university presence and big bodies of water.    Buy some plane tickets and come camp with us at Beverly Beach in two weeks, then poke around for a week or two and you'll have a bit of a handle on things.

OVB:  hey, we're camping at Fern Ridge July 16-19, on our way south from BC.  I'll message you.  In the meantime, keep an eye out for the Catalina 22 fixed keel with red canvas, it belongs to a gal named Mary and her friend Nick is one of my oldest buddies.  They just launched a few weeks ago. 

I have seen the series...its great and it hits the nail on the head...." Portland where young people come to retire"...once in a while I am in Portland to do business and I counted 7 different hipsters wearing detective style hats and black hi tops....pretty town... 

Owen....looking forward to meeting you and your friends....Mike

On 6/12/2018 at 11:50 AM, shaggy said:

The Vancouver area would be your best bet... Washington does not have income tax and Oregon doesn't have sales tax... you can see where this conversation is going!!!!!!  You're close enough to Portland to enjoy it, but you don't have to smell it every day.

Did a race on a Moore 24 years back at the Columbia River Gorge.  Not us, but we had the same E-Ticket Ride.  I seem to recall a few clubs in the area...

Here is some other action

16 hours ago, nacradriver said:

The Vancouver area would be your best bet... Washington does not have income tax and Oregon doesn't have sales tax... you can see where this conversation is going!!!!!!  You're close enough to Portland to enjoy it, but you don't have to smell it every day.

Did a race on a Moore 24 years back at the Columbia River Gorge.  Not us, but we had the same E-Ticket Ride.  I seem to recall a few clubs in the area...

Here is some other action

when did canada become a part of oregon?

Exactly - right on the state border so you can manipulate the different taxes to best advantage.

Just like living in Tahoe.

All my relatives who grew up on the coast moved to eastern Oregon where the sun shines more than a few days a year.  Seriously, the coast weather sucks.  Grey drizzle all winter and 15 knots of cold sea breeze anytime the valley warms up.  Not many days you'd even think about swimming in the coastal lakes and rivers.  Great place to visit / crab / clam / fish but I pick my weather carefully.  Portland is great in so many ways.  The coast range makes the valley climate very livable.  Vancouver WA is a good option for taxes as mentioned above.  Lots of decent moorage available.   Best sailing / racing is on the Columbia right by the airport, but most serious racers get a little action in the Salish for variety.  PM me for more info / telecon or if you visit I'll hook you up at Portland Yacht Club for a tour.  Check out Blues Fest on July 4 for a great reason to visit.  Commander Cody, Robert Randolph, and George Thoroughgood this year.  And we may run the pulse jets Tuesday, but that's another story....

6 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

when did canada become a part of oregon?

You earned this one with honor  :D

idiotaward.jpg

6 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

idiotaward.jpg

Confession...........I thought the same thing but was rescued by a Google it first. B)

52 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Confession...........I thought the same thing but was rescued by a Google it first. B)

image.png.653d410944ade5cbebe596cb0d5b0d48.png

4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

idiotaward.jpg

how manyy vancouvers do those num nuts have up there?   that's almost as bad as atlanta where every fucking street is named Peachtree-what-the-fuck-ever Rd

and fuck off :D

4 hours ago, mustang__1 said:

anyone else first think PM Ancient Mariner? :(

no, we all remembered he's passed away..

20 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

how manyy vancouvers do those num nuts have up there? 

There are two - we have the real one and there's a small, cheap copy on the Columbia in Washington State.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

There are two - we have the real one and there's a small, cheap copy on the Columbia in Washington State.

when are y'all going to drop that British out of your province name... it's about time.

Probably won't be long before the Province gets some sort of Aboriginal name. Already changed Georgia Strait to the Salish Sea and the Queen Charlotte Islands to Haida Gwaii so how long can B.C. hold out?

39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Probably won't be long before the Province gets some sort of Aboriginal name. Already changed Georgia Strait to the Salish Sea and the Queen Charlotte Islands to Haida Gwaii so how long can B.C. hold out?

well y'all did come along and changed all the names...   up in the north east US, it seems everything is Native American names

I never changed any names - it was this way when I arrived.

18 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Isn’t your Vancouver about due for a change to East Beijing with all of the Chinese investment?

On 6/15/2018 at 5:43 PM, mustang__1 said:

anyone else first think PM Ancient Mariner? :(

wowe, wowe, rum ist mackeng me verrey emotionalle tonitte. ( a weaknesse I adimitte)

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Isn’t your Vancouver about due for a change to East Beijing with all of the Chinese investment?

English is the second language there.

1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Hongcouver.

I'm a big fan of Hood River, OR. Perfect 7+ months a year. A river out the front door and a mountain out the back door and lots in between.