sailinginstructor75

Some advice needed with Opti maintenance

Hey all, 

I'm helping to develop  a junior program at my yacht club, and one of the first thing I've been doing is fixing what needs to be fixed on our Opti fleet. I ordered these 'golf club' tiller grips so the kids will be able to hold on to the tillers, but I cant quite figure out how to get them on... Any advice? Picture of the grip attached

IMG_20180612_135347.jpg

Double sided tape and thinner... Pretty easy to do

Altbough it's even easier to buy old clubs or ask for  broken ones at your local golf club

Sorry, I didn't specify. My issue is getting the narrower open end of the rubber grip onto the ~40mm tiller extension. I can stretch the grip about an inch onto the extension - that's as far as it will go. 

Use an air compressor nozzle to get air into the small hole in the top of the grip. The air will stretch it open and it will slide right on.

What SailorKyle said, high pressure air works great. Put the grip on a little, then tuck the nozzle under the grip and hit the trigger an the grip will slide on.

If you don't have that, try soapy water with about 10% soap.  It will dry and stick on the tiller extension just fine.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:01 PM, SailorKyle23 said:

Use an air compressor nozzle to get air into the small hole in the top of the grip. The air will stretch it open and it will slide right on.

Oldest trick in the book. That’s how we used to replace grips on everything from golf clubs to dirtbikes. As far as soapy water, we always used hairspray.