dyslexic dog

Lost in the Fog

That's stupid!  There is no dumb a$$ vaccine. 

Thought maybe they were just out of cell range but the article says that "the passenger, communicating with the Coast Guard on a cell phone, helped guide the rescue crew toward the vessel by listening for the horn on the Coast Guard rescue boat."   Maybe it was a flip phone?  I thought a 45 foot Coast Guard vessel would have had radar, thermal vision or some such.  

I recently learned the value of a good gps/plotter with networked AIS in foggy conditions on Northern Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac.

It is so cool to be able to see traffic around you, without having to interpret radar.

I'm now a fan of AIS and think everyone should have it....

There appeared to be more commercial traffic than I remember when doing the same trip* two years ago....

*Delivery from Buffalo, NY to Oconto, WI

It's somewhat difficult to get lost at sea(or lake) with good equipment.......

Jus' sayin'

9 hours ago, madohe said:

I recently learned the value of a good gps/plotter with networked AIS in foggy conditions on Northern Lake Huron and the Straits of Mackinac.

It is so cool to be able to see traffic around you, without having to interpret radar.

I'm now a fan of AIS and think everyone should have it....

There appeared to be more commercial traffic than I remember when doing the same trip* two years ago....

*Delivery from Buffalo, NY to Oconto, WI

It's somewhat difficult to get lost at sea(or lake) with good equipment.......

Jus' sayin'

Good equipment -AND- the knowledge how to use it.

If you just keep going straight, you'll eventually bump into one side or the other. You can make a simple sun compass to keep going straight in the absence of any landmarks or other tools. A magnetic compass is nice, simple, reliable (as long as you don't put a wrench or flashlight next to it).

Nowadays we have tools that right next to magic. I love AIS and radar; but you need to spend a good bit of time becoming familiar with the specific models on your boat. A heck of a lot of people have run aground (or gotten lost) while fiddling with their electronic thingabobber. I admit my electronic nav skills are modest but I also know to look out the window.

FB- Doug