Mid

Mission Accomplished

Untitled.jpg.6b934189494762deb72cd51b8eb481f4.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mid said:

A five year old could have predicted as much and now it's the other have of the duopoly that's having a meltdown again totally predictable.  

lol........... 

ya, sure.

if NORK is no longer a nuclear threat, any chance we can knock a few bucks off of the DOD budget? 

3 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

A five year old could have predicted as much and now it's the other have of the duopoly that's having a meltdown again totally predictable.  

Trump sold out South Korea in order to get a photo-op with Lil Kim. Do you not agree that cancelling joint military exercises with SK weakens their level of preparedness?  Which of our remaining allies considers the US a trustworthy partner? Putin is celebrating.

image.jpeg

was chatting with a marketing consultant today. He thinks Trump's approach in Singapore was brilliant "from a marketing perspective" and fits with the millennial and following generation attention span.

As a policy, he thinks it's a pile of shit, like most thinking people do.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Trump sold out South Korea in order to get a photo-op with Lil Kim. Do you not agree that cancelling joint military exercises with SK weakens their level of preparedness?  Which of our remaining allies considers the US a trustworthy partner? Putin is celebrating.

Yes I agree the military exercises (war games) were extremely provocative as they were designed and most likely had an impact on bringing the Lil Kim to the table though I did not agree at the time because I thought it was reckless. Do you think the south is not in support of cancelling joint military exercises?

Putin is celebrating being surrounded by the US military? :blink:

Actually I think you must have meant the leader of China as NK is under Beijing's sphere of influence. Do you even know the Chinese dictators name? Google it.    

22 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

like most thinking people do.

Like you? :lol:

14 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Yes I agree the military exercises (war games) were extremely provocative as they were designed and most likely had an impact on bringing the Lil Kim to the table though I did not agree at the time because I thought it was reckless. Do you think the south is not in support of cancelling joint military exercises?

Actually I think you must have meant the leader of China as NK is under Beijing's sphere of influence. Do you even know the Chinese dictators name? Google it.    

I know for a fact that they are not supportive of cancelling the exercises, nor are the adults in the country supportive of a US withdrawal. 

13 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Like you? :lol:

Actually - as much as Flash and I poke back and forth - he's usually got a solid basis for his opinions, even if he does whinge a bunch. ;-) 

9 minutes ago, Mickey Rat said:

Holding military exercises right before a negotiation is pretty stupid unless you hold all the cards. Trump does not. Giving up the exercises and getting nothing in return except a vague promise is equally stupid and reckless. The US has an agreement with SK to jointly provide for their defense. Eliminating joint exercises greatly weakens the military partnership. It's like having two halves of football team never practice together in training camp. 

Secondly, by so quickly selling out South Korea, Trump also sends a strong signal to other military partners that the US is an untrustworthy ally. 

1 minute ago, RKoch said:

Holding military exercises right before a negotiation is pretty stupid unless you hold all the cards. Trump does not. Giving up the exercises and getting nothing in return except a vague promise is equally stupid and reckless. The US has an agreement with SK to jointly provide for their defense. Eliminating joint exercises greatly weakens the military partnership. It's like having two halves of football team never practice together in training camp. 

Secondly, by so quickly selling out South Korea, Trump also sends a strong signal to other military partners that the US is an untrustworthy ally. 

Untrustworthy ally? Yes, Canadians know that now.

You guys seem to be unaware of how these joint military operations have been going on for years.  The one scheduled for the Spring, "Foal Eagle", was rescheduled around the Olympics.  It's not like the US and SK decided to flex their muscles before the summit as a means of intimidation/provocation.

• Like 1

Just now, Ishmael said:

Now?

It's been very apparent for decades to anyone who was paying attention.

2 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Now?

It's been very apparent for decades to anyone who was paying attention.

I was being nice.

8 minutes ago, Bus Driver said:

You guys seem to be unaware of how these joint military operations have been going on for years.  The one scheduled for the Spring, "Foal Eagle", was rescheduled around the Olympics.  It's not like the US and SK decided to flex their muscles before the summit as a means of intimidation/provocation.

exactly....

On June 13, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Bus Driver said:

I don't disagree. However, when Lil Kim indicated he was willing to talk then the spring exercises should have been immediately put on temporary hold or at least scaled way down. But  SK relies on joint exercises with the US to remain in a state of readiness for defense. By  giving up all joint exercises without notification/consultation with SK is a stab in the back. And Trump got nothing in return except a pat on the head from Putin. 

Trump was probably shooting from the hip when he said the exercises would be stopped.  It's the kind of move you make when you are trying to impress the other person, although why he'd feel the need to do that with Kim is too bizarre to consider.  And it sure doesn't help relationships with SK to blindside them like that.  And it may hurt their readiness if the Norks do get frisky.  But evidently our new foreign policy is one of pissing off our allies and cozying up to dictators. 

However, in hindsight, cancelling war games may be a reasonably good strategic move.  He gave Kim this win, and can use it as a bargaining chip in the future; if NK doesn't do what they promise, restarting the exercises is a way to get tough without being overly provocative.  I think he gave too many other 'wins', but we've beaten that horse enough. 

On 6/13/2018 at 11:18 AM, Ishmael said:

Canadians are  as sneaky and untrustworthy a bunch as ever existed. Clearly we need another wall :rolleyes: 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 7:36 AM, jerseyguy said:

if NORK is no longer a nuclear threat, any chance we can knock a few bucks off of the DOD budget? 

+100