Dog

World Cup

Who's your dark horse, no Germany, Brazil, France, or Spain.

With Ronaldo playing well I'm going with Portugal.

I like Belgium- it is surprising to me that they are so far down on most rankings

I hear Belgium's got injuries. I'm an Argentina fan and am girding myself for yet another cup of disappointment. 

Denmark?

I wish I could say Australia but I think they'll be lucky to get out of the group.

My dark horse would be Belgium.

1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

My dark horse would be Belgium.

Seems to be a lot of people's. Does that make them a horse of a lighter color?

41 minutes ago, IStream said:

Their problem will be needing to get past either Brazil or Germany in the quarter final. Do that and they're in with a chance.

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

ha ha ha ha ... spain just fucked themselves

said_by_bismarck_by_matritum-dbgeybk.png

Belgium.

Hazard gives them that elite attacker who can break down any defense.  Kompany I would sit, he may be too banged up anyway.  Alderweireld & Vertongen might be enough to hold the back line - their weakness.  Courtois lifts his level again and that would cover for some slow feet on that line.

Costa Rica is not the same as the 2014 edition.  Belgium 4-1 friendly win wasn’t all that surprising.

Will be tough to pick Red Devils agst Brazil in the 16.  Backline has to lift their level a couple of notches to stop Neymar & Jesus.

Fellaini always worth the wait to see.  Good not great (yet) side.  Should roll through the group no problem.

Opening match has to be, on paper at least, a real stinker.  Anyone watching Russia v Saudi’s?   KSA look like trash.

Best viewing package in USA for iOs phone?

Peru v Denmark on Saturday should be a real cracker.  Local Peruvians are amped up for this one.  Eriksen v total-football Peru.

Best game this weekend is Portugal-Spain, IMHO... That should be a 1st place (in Group B   ) decider and watching CR7 against SR4 has got to be good stuff.

7 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Best game this weekend is Portugal-Spain, IMHO... That should be a 1st place (in Group B   ) decider and watching CR7 against SR4 has got to be good stuff.

Ramos on VAR should be interesting.  

31 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Ramos on VAR should be interesting.  

He's a nice guy, too much hate in today's football.

11 hours ago, IStream said:

Like I said- I'm surprised they seem to be so far down on people's lists... I think maybe their past of not doing well in major competitions is likely affecting that- for better or worse...

8 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Belgium.

Hazard gives them that elite attacker who can break down any defense.  Kompany I would sit, he may be too banged up anyway.  Alderweireld & Vertongen might be enough to hold the back line - their weakness.  Courtois lifts his level again and that would cover for some slow feet on that line.

Costa Rica is not the same as the 2014 edition.  Belgium 4-1 friendly win wasn’t all that surprising.

Will be tough to pick Red Devils agst Brazil in the 16.  Backline has to lift their level a couple of notches to stop Neymar & Jesus.

Fellaini always worth the wait to see.  Good not great (yet) side.  Should roll through the group no problem.

All of what you said being true- that doesn't even account for the other Hazard (assuming you were talking about Eden), De Bruyne, and Lukaku.... they are a really good team...

1 hour ago, suider said:

Like I said- I'm surprised they seem to be so far down on people's lists... I think maybe their past of not doing well in major competitions is likely affecting that- for better or worse...

All of what you said being true- that doesn't even account for the other Hazard (assuming you were talking about Eden), De Bruyne, and Lukaku.... they are a really good team...

Yes.  Excellent side.

De Bruyne tops, hits his City form and they cruise.  Mertens quality too. Lukaku imposing in the box , Hazard-Lukaku at their best are great combo.  

Conte was right - Eden’s a false-9.  De Bruyne the real 10 for them.

28 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Ouch Russia 5-0 Saudi Arabia

Please don't post scores so shortly after the games. I'd love to be able to read the thread without fear of spoilers so quickly after the games.

Really? You need Spoiler alerts? Grow a pair or resist the urge to click on this thread. 

8 minutes ago, dreadom said:

Really? You need Spoiler alerts? Grow a pair or resist the urge to click on this thread. 

Fuck you too.

2 minutes ago, IStream said:

Fuck you too.

Honestly mate? The game finished over 4 hours ago. It may not be news where you are? but it was the leading sports story on the news here this morning. 

The game is played half a world away from half the world. That means a good chunk of the world needs to record it in the middle of the night, go to work in the morning, and watch it in the evening, 18-24 hours after the fact. 

Belgium is a possible dark horse.

Gotta pull for Iceland following he last World Cup. What a great story that was.

25 minutes ago, IStream said:

The game is played half a world away from half the world. That means a good chunk of the world needs to record it in the middle of the night, go to work in the morning, and watch it in the evening, 18-24 hours after the fact. 

This 

About a 10 hr delay for me before I get to watch 

23 minutes ago, IStream said:

Seriously mate. The game happened overnight here and had been over for more than 4 hours when I posted my comment. When I got up this morning at 6am and turned on the news- it was the first thing I heard. 

I suggest that if you are that sensitive and/ or interested in the result that you should stay up and watch it live or avoid  watching the news/ Internet until you have watched your recording. 

You can’t seriously come to a thread on a game that is already done and dusted and expect the rest of us to wait for you to catch up. Sense of entitlement much? Man up mate, it’s not all about you. 

Or you could try being considerate for once. 

It won't kill you. 

8 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Or you could try being considerate for once. 

It won't kill you. 

Hey Dorado, hop back in your box. I wasn’t meaning to be inconsiderate, as I have said it was four hours after the game had finished and I came to the SA thread to discuss. There have been plenty of precedent of comments being placed here whilst match’s were still in progress. I remember fondly the great discussion a few years back as the boats were finishing the S2H race for example. SA is a great place to discuss with like minded people from around the world, but it is not like I spoilt the ending of a movie. This it is a sporting event which is being reported on widely by the media. 

Seriously, are we not meant to report on any major news stories until we check whether you have already heard?

Fuck off you little sook. 

4 minutes ago, dreadom said:

DBLT, Dorrado ist a goode mate o'miene, be kinde.  Halve goode nitte.                       :)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

DBLT, Dorrado ist a goode mate o'miene, be kinde.  Halve goode nitte.                       :)

Yeah I actually quite like his posts too, maybe that was a bit harsh but I just didnt realise I needed to post a spoiler alert warnings on a SA thread. 

My final comment was predominantly directed at IStream’s whiny bitch about spoiler alert. I get it Dorrado was just playing mum. 

35 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Image result for image of flag of england

Hmm good luck with that. I have tried to place a proposition wager, to no success, and maintain that the USA and/or Australia will win a World Cup before England wins another. I just think there is too many egos and not enough national pride in the English team, they seem far more interested in their much higher paying club matches. 

1 hour ago, dreadom said:

Yeah I actually quite like his posts too, maybe that was a bit harsh but I just didnt realise I needed to post a spoiler alert warnings on a SA thread. 

My final comment was predominantly directed at IStream’s whiny bitch about spoiler alert. I get it Dorrado was just playing mum. 

Funny, even though you and I disagree on most things, I've always given you the benefit of the doubt because I noted you're an X fan and I've seen X & John Doe solo a couple dozen times. I guess that's over.

It takes a true asshole to go out of their way to spoil things for others just because they can't be considerate for a day.

Fuck off, bitch. 

7 minutes ago, IStream said:

Funny, even though you and I disagree on most things, I've always given you the benefit of the doubt because I noted you're an X fan and I've seen X & John Doe solo a couple dozen times. I guess that's over.

It takes a true asshole to go out of their way to spoil things for others just because they can't be considerate for a day.

Fuck off, bitch. 

Again it was not my intention to spoil it for your I was merely starting a discussion about the game. I didn’t come here for a fight, you want room 12A. Like I said this wasn’t the ending or plot twist of a movie. It was the opening game of the World Cup, it had ended hours before and the result is being broadcast every 1/2 hour on the morning news here in Australia. I imagine the score is probably getting some coverage over there. 

What do you expect to be an appropriate moratorium on scores and match discussions? It was really sad to read that Prince (say? Add celeb, artist, sports person etc) died but I wasn’t going to blame the guy who posted it on SA- so don’t shoot the messenger this time. 

In my original response I said grow a pair or don’t click on this thread and I stand by that comment. If you can’t bare to hear the result or read comments on a game that you haven’t watched yet then don’t click on this thread or you could merely harden up, shrug it off and get on with your day. I think that is a reasonable request. If that makes me insensitive and an arsehole so be it. 

2 hours ago, dreadom said:

Do the math Dread.

If a person waited until tomorrow to check this thread regarding today's match, he would find that you had spilled the beans on tomorrow's match also as you have today's. And again the next day. And the day after . . .

Effectively, you are stinking this up for the entire Western Hemisphere.

"Sense of entitlement much? Man up mate, it’s not all about you." 

Who's it all about now ?

38 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Do the math Dread.

If a person waited until tomorrow to check this thread regarding today's match, he would find that you had spilled the beans on tomorrow's match also as you have today's. And again the next day. And the day after . . .

Effectively, you are stinking this up for the entire Western Hemisphere.

"Sense of entitlement much? Man up mate, it’s not all about you." 

Who's it all about now ?

You’re right I shouldn’t have responded to the “Fuck you” comment from IS and being called inconsiderate by yourself. 

This is a news item and I honestly believe commenting on news items is open to all time zones and hemispheres. I didn’t think I needed to, but if you like I can start a new thread to discuss the games in real time, kick to kick, score by score?

Dreads I'm with you. If you don't want to know the result of a match before you have watched it then don't go online. Simple. Spain v Portugal kicks off at 2am my time tomorrow morning. I may get up to watch it. If I don't I know one of the first things I'll do when I wake tomorrow is go to SBS World Game page and watch the highlights of the match. I don't need to see the whole match. I simply don't have the time.  I will however watch the France v Australia match live. That's at a very watchable time for me with a 6pm kickoff.

• Like 1

Just now, dreadom said:

You’re right I shouldn’t have responded to the “Fuck you” comment from IS and being called inconsiderate by yourself. 

This is a news item and I honestly believe commenting on news items is open to all time zones and hemispheres. I didn’t think I needed to, but if you like I can start a new thread to discuss the games in real time, kick to kick, score by score?

That's not a bad idea. Hell, I'll do it  for you "World Cup early results"

31 minutes ago, Dorado said:

That's not a bad idea. Hell, I'll do it  for you "World Cup early results"

Sorry I don’t mean to be a jerk but therein lies my point about entitlement. They are not the early results, they are just the results. To suggest they are early would suggest that time revolves around what time you sleep in till. 

or those who don't want spoilers , don't read the thread, start a new one and  post  "no scores or game discussions"  besides whining about the two shittiest teams on the planet is kind of silly...    

ps..  Dory already did...   never mind..

and now for something completely different

Netherlands getting ready for the world cup 2018

ajEWEbQ_460s.jpg

a2oL4ee_460s.jpg

and finally,  on their 3rd try, germany reaches moscow..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chuso007 said:

He's a nice guy, too much hate in today's football.

Ramos is the kind of player you love when he's on your team.

13 hours ago, dreadom said:

Ouch Russia 5-0 Saudi Arabia

I suspect some Russian collusion involved in making that matchup the first game

3 hours ago, Dog said:

I suspect some Russian collusion involved in making that matchup the first game

yeah like,

Putin: we won't nuke your country if we win big...     and that video clip at the first goal of putin and guests, I wonder how large that wager was?

Russia 5-0 KSA    Saudis continue to ‘experiment’ with playing short pass sideways game.   New style bunkering.   Mindboggling poor futbol.

KSA with 61% posession and no shots on goal??  Trash match.

Peru - Denmark saturday morn will start my Cup.  Paolo Guerrero’s fitness big question.  With suspension, he hadn’t played in 8 months.  Looked out of sync in last friendly.

Peru’s GK Gallese a stud. 

Uruguay 1-0 No-Mo Egypt

Park bus and get prayer mats down.  Garbage stuff.  Suarez MIA.  WTF?  He get memo this is WC?  Too many Euro league stars on cruise-control in group nowadays.

WC feed:   YouTubeTV on iPhone.   Slick, well-done app.  Free week, then $40/mos.  40+ channels.   Cancell anytime.

Russia freakin’ beautiful old country, still, in so many places.

That Portugal-Spain game was excellent. I hate how good that $&@#! Ronaldo is, World Cup hat trick.

Argentina-Iceland next ... A fight between a poodle and a wolf comes to mind.

Does logic have to enter into the conversation? I am a big fan of underdogs and that means Iceland all the way. Also a big Messi fan which means that Argentina-iceland will be a tough one to watch, maybe a 3-3 tie would be good for both.

Looking for contact with Saudi Nat Team.

Charity match:  Saudis v Klinsman and his 45+ y.o. buddies from Irvine league.

Would bet Jurgen K. hat-tricks KSA.....in first half.

2 hours ago, mikewof said:

That Portugal-Spain game was excellent. I hate how good that $&@#! Ronaldo is, World Cup hat trick.

Argentina-Iceland next ... A fight between a poodle and a wolf comes to mind.

Rolando  just moved into GOAT position after Pele.  Played good defense as well

• Downvote 1

Watch out everyone. Istream will be after you for talking about results before he's watched it ;)

• Like 1

On 6/13/2018 at 11:29 PM, Dorado said:

Morocco.

Belgium is a good pic also.

At least we know Morocco can put it in the net! 

:D

Told ya it was going to be a good game... I watched it at the J70Eurpeans race vilage surrounded by Portuguese... it was great fun.

Dreadom, I can’t be fucked to watch any of it. Feel free to let me know when the English team are back on the plane, it shouldn’t take long. :lol:

I’ll be watching the rugby instead. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mad said:

Dreadom, I can’t be fucked to watch any of it. Feel free to let me know when the English team are back on the plane, it shouldn’t take long. :lol:

I’ll be watching the rugby instead. 

Will do. Australian Rules is my favourite form of football. Go. bloods! But I like all variations I have even watched a game of American Football, the edited for TV version not live when they bring on a different team every second play and it takes 4 hours for 60 minute game. 

Socceroos did well against the French. Were a bit unlucky. Held them well and gave them a harder game than I think they expected. Given the result i hope Denmark and Peru draw.

Iceland wins 1-1.

Cracking stuff.   Messi’s penalty miss....holy hell.

Working on Viking chant.   Great effort from a hot team.

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Socceroos did well against the French. Were a bit unlucky. Held them well and gave them a harder game than I think they expected. Given the result i hope Denmark and Peru draw.

Oh you spoilt it for me! I was going watch this next weekend.

We are still a good chance to finish second in our group. 

19 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Watch out everyone. Istream will be after you for talking about results before he's watched it ;)

Don't worry, I'm all caught up on the games so I'm back on this thread and everyone's allowed to post again. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, IStream said:

Don't worry, I'm all caught up on the games so I'm back on this thread and everyone's allowed to post again. :ph34r:

I am so pleased that your period started. 

1 hour ago, dreadom said:

I am so pleased that your period started. 

And I'm so sorry that yours is 24/7.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

fuck off , both of you..

aW1Dbz3_460s.jpg

I thought the coach was an Icelandic dentist?

19 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Iceland wins 1-1.

How can you win when the score is 1-1?? :wacko:

19 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Iceland wins 1-1.

Lame game, I prefer games in which both teams try to win....Not that I blame Iceland for parking the bus, it's working for them against more talented teams.

6 hours ago, mad said:

How can you win when the score is 1-1?? :wacko:

U missed my play there;)

Mexico 1-0 Germany.

Wow, great attacking futbol.  El Tri on the gas from the jump,   Excellent.

Chucky Lozano!

2 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Mexico 1-0 Germany.

Wow, great attacking futbol.  El Tri on the gas from the jump,   Excellent.

Chucky Lozano!

Mexico played with heart and a helluva lotta speed on those through passes.

Germany needs to watch Rocky III.  They looked entitled and soft during the whole first half

• Like 1

Brazil 1-1 Suisse

Who’s the favorite now?

At one point near end Selecao had only 2 shots on goal out of 19 shots.

Tonite they looked like the 2014 over-hyped team.

• Like 1

fuck just imagine if south california wins the WC,  the party would last for months, it will rain lead for weeks... fuck getting your lawn mowed or going to your favorite restaurant.. the restaurant industry would shutdown because no one would be around to run or cook for those places..  the farms won't have anybody to pick for them...   it'll be an apocalypse

Fake Earthquake Detected In Mexico City After Player's Goal In World Cup Match

reported on Slashdot:

According to officials in Mexico, an artificial earthquake was reported in Mexico City that was possibly caused by "massive jumps during the goal from the Mexico national soccer team" on Sunday. KABC reports:Hirving Lozano scored the lone goal in the 35th minute, picking up Javier Hernandez's pass inside the penalty area and beating Mesut Ozil before shooting past Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer from 10 yards. The goal decided the match -- a match Germany didn't expect to lose. Mexico upset Germany, the defending champion, 1-0. The loss meant Germany became the third defending champion in the last 16 years to lose its opening match at the World Cup."Two monitoring stations in Mexico City picked up the temblor the same time Lozano scored, 35 minutes into the match," reports USA Today. "Seismologists in Chile also said that their instruments detected an artificial temblor at the same time."

Belgium 3-0 Panama

Easy 3 points.

No love for Die Toten Rouge?   Only 2 of us at a sports bar at the beach.  WTF?

21 hours ago, Fakenews said:

France Portugal and Spain look like the pick of the litter.

From what I have seen/heard of France vs. Australia and Portugal vs. Spain, I have to concede that France is still way behind the Iberian nations....

4 hours ago, Sol Rosenberg said:

I'll never again bet against Russia in anything.  

Better doping than anyone else. 

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Just got my team FRANCE t shirt

Allez les Blues!

Howe dose a franche womane holde herre licquore?

45 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Howe dose a franche womane holde herre licquore?

By the ears

• Like 1

Mexico: bravery

Belgium: chemistry

England: perseverance

2 minutes ago, Rushman said:

By the ears

Vous gagnez un gâterie sucrée                                    :)

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

That is probably hilarious but I have no idea what it means... Like most of your posts

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rushman said:

That is probably hilarious but I have no idea what it means... Like most of your posts

OK, it took me a while...

To hold your liquor... In French, the word is liqueur, and pronounced (almost) the same as "licker" in English. French woman + licker held by the ears: get it?

Mister Snaggletooth; that was a good one....

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Appro po  to nothing but that is one good looking cat.

20 hours ago, Streetwise said:

Mexico: bravery

Belgium: chemistry

England: perseverance

Senegal:  Lions

One of the biggest, physically gifted teams in tournament.  Even when they shanked their shots, the movement & speed were Show Time worthy.

• Like 1

Well, after the first round of games have finished there are a number of questions over some of the favourites.

Group A - with Russia's win over Egypt this morning they're basically through to the 2nd round.You'd expect Uruguay to join them by dealing with the Saudi's tonight.

Group B - you'd expect Spain and Portugal to go through by both beating Iran & Morocco

Group C - France and Denmark are still favoured to go through but France will need to up their game v Peru. Being Aussie I'm hoping for at least a draw v Denmark tomorrow night (my time), a win would be awesome.

Group D - Iceland have upset the apple cart here. Argentina could be in trouble if they don't beat Croatia. What a game that is likely to be. One to watch I reckon. You'd have to favour Iceland over NIgeria

Group E - Despite Brazil being held by Switzerland I think they'll get through. A good win over Costa Rica should propel them to the top of the group, unless Serbia beat Switzerland, which I don't think will happen.

Group F - Germany have some work to do. It is imperative they beat Sweden. Once again a game to watch. I don't see Korea getting over Mexico so they'll be gone.

Group G - Both Belgium & England should win their 2nd round matches and go through.

Group H - Wow. Who knows what will happen here. This one is wide open. Both favoured teams going in, ie Poland & Columbia, could miss out. Their 2nd round clash will be crucial. Lose and you're basically gone.

Neymar dinged up at practice.  Drama never ends with Selecao.

Germany stumble out the gate again and I’d say they’re done.  Energy doesn’t seem high as 2014.

Mexico a game to watch.  They sustain that intensity and we’re looking at a deep run for them.

No surprise to me Colombia went down.   They’re sketchy on the backline & Falcao is a shadow of himself now.

Belgium look to be most balanced side out there.   Kompany’s return a key.

Senegal for sheer atleticism worth a wager.  They hunt you down and put you on the defensive before you can organize anything. 

Les blues looking to be the pick of the litter...

Senegal looks strong as well.  Has an African team ever won the WC?

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Les blues looking to be the pick of the litter...

Senegal looks strong as well.  Has an African team ever won the WC?

Did you see the France v Australia game? They did not play well...or they're highly overrated...or Australia played really well. I think a bit of the first and the last, but I could be biased coz I'm Aussie