Dog

World Cup

Bad luck Socceroos. Valiant try but I don't think it will be enough to get us through to the next round.

6 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

pansy-arsed hairdressers

g0uxcm66h4a01.jpg

only reason i don't like to watch fubol..    should yellow card the first pussy that falls down, stop that nonsense..

2 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Sampaoli wont go home.  

Applies for Italian passport.

Hahaha

Yep very surprised by that. Not a happy camp today.

12 hours ago, dreadom said:

Bad luck Socceroos. Valiant try but I don't think it will be enough to get us through to the next round.

Au Contraire Dreads. I watched the first half of the France v Peru match and after the initial 15 minute Peru onslaught they were quite vulnerable at the back. Socceroos need to weather that storm, gain control and get on top. With Nabbout out and from what Arzani showed in the 25 mins he was on the pitch I hope van Marwijk starts him against Peru. Give us that X factor in the first half. Depending on how the game is going in the second half he can bring Cahill on toward the 60-70 minute mark for a 20-30 minute burst to get the chance to join a select group who have scored in 4 successive World Cups.

Of course all this means nothing if Denmark beat France :(

• Like 1

Rumour over @ BigSoccer is that players asked Sampaoli to resign and he accepted.  Jorge Burruchaga new technico for 3rd match.

And Messi saying nothing,  says a lot about the Argentines at the moment.

On 6/21/2018 at 5:09 AM, Terrorvision said:

That image of Barry "Freight Train" Trotz with his head broken open, hilarious. He's built like one of those faces on Mt. Rushmore. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

adKR1GZ_460s.jpg

I saw a good portion of the Croatia - Argentina game. The Argentinians should be embarrassed after that performance.  I bet the goalie will never be able to show his face in the country again. Sad final act for Messi.

http://sport360.com/article/football/world_cup_2018/289405/xherdan-shaqiri-lets-his-feet-do-the-talking-and-other-switzerland-v-serbia-talking-points

Lots learned today from that scrum in the box with Mitrovic and two Swiss defenders.  Foul was on Mitrovic for pushing & arm barring the Swiss after corner is kicked.  Action before was irrelevant.  Alexi Lalas got this wrong but, as a former center half that’s not surprising what he said on post-match show.

Tense match , Serbs v Swiss/Kosovos. Goal celebrations by Swiss aimed at Serbs.  I wasn’t up to speed on that significance.

Both Swiss goals but, especially Shaqiri’s, were world class.

Swiss are for real.

On 6/21/2018 at 12:09 PM, Terrorvision said:

Priceless! The guy at the end grabbing the other bloke’s arm to punch himself in the face:lol:. Bunch of tw*ts.

Belgium firming from dark horse to one of the favourites after this performance v Tunisia. Likely to finish top of the group.

Mexico had a great game.  Germany looks a bit shaky.  Even if they advance I'll doubt they'll win.  They have lost the eye of the Tiger. 

Croatia likely to go deep.  

And what about Argentina? Holy shit.  My high school keeper played better than theirs.  And on one goal their defense was literally standing in the box watching.  Absurd. 

For me the first goal in the Nigeria game yesterday was amazing.  To trap a high ball like that with the outside of the foot, bring it down and volley a goal. . . . fucking poetry

I was really hoping Peru and Costa Rica would do better. They were a blast to watch in qualifying. 

Mexico has pacey wings and forwards. Osorio has made his career fitness training teams and you gotta give him credit for where they are now.  Good not great talent playing for each other.  They’re tough and play exciting futbol - pulling for them to go deep.  Needless to say perhaps but the fanbase around SoCal is mighty amped up.  This is all good.

There’s so much to take in now I literally can’t always remember what happened when & with which teams.

Japan v Senegal prolly best match tomm?

Poland need to step it up agst Colombia or they’re getting thrashed.

England v Panama so-so match in my book.  England runs out to 2-0 lead and hackathon from Panama rest of the way. Eh.  Harry Kane knocks one in that looks pretty cool.  Baller.

Shout out to Super Mario Gomez.   Dude can still bring it in the box. Lowe finally moves undersized Werner to wing and lets Big Mario battle those big Swedish center-halfs.

Boateng coming high on other side with some good crosses.  Dropping long bombs over the top opened that Swedish box up.  Werner’s quickness out on the left wing was a good look for Germany.  Not too high on Draxler - want to see more Brandt and that cannon of his.

Lot of interesting Twitter chatter out there from Ballack and company about Lowe’s selection moving forward.  Gotta love German passion for the game.  They’re all-in.

Clarence Seedorf  - the one and only.

It is a pleasure to listen to one of The great middies I’ve ever seen.   Respect

52 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Mexico has pacey wings and forwards.

Yes, out of the tiny teams Senegal is the only hope now.  

I don't know what Sweden was thinking parking the bus in front of the goal. I don't understand why any team plays for a draw--  especially against a top tier team. 

"Ok, here's our plan, we'll let Germany take free kicks, corners and drive in our zone for 45 mins to stop them from scoring."

:huh:

Mexico has pacey wings and forwards. Osorio has made his career fitness training teams and you gotta give him credit for where they are now.  Good not great talent playing for each other.  They’re tough and play exciting futbol - pulling for them to go deep.  Needless to say perhaps but the fanbase around SoCal is mighty amped up.  This is all good.

There’s so much to take in now I literally can’t always remember what happened when & with which teams.

England v Panama so-so match in my book.  England runs out to 2-0 lead and hackathon from Panama rest of the way. Eh.  Harry Kane knocks one in that looks pretty cool.  Baller.

Shout out to Super Mario Gomez.   Dude can still bring it in the box. Lowe finally moves undersized Werner to wing and lets Big Mario battle those big Swedish center-halfs.

Boateng coming high on other side with some good crosses. Dropping long bombs over the top opened that Swedish box up.  Werner’s quickness out on the left wing was a good look for Germany.  Not too high on Draxler - want to see more Brandt and that cannon of his.

Lot of interesting Twitter chatter out there from Ballack and company about Lowe’s selection moving forward.  Gotta love German passion for the game.  They’re all-in.

I know one of his brothers. Super friendly fellow.

Anyway, Mexico's win over Korea was excellent. They have my attention now, gotta support the (Central) Americans.

9 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Boateng coming high on other side with some good crosses.  Dropping long bombs over the top opened that Swedish box up.  Werner’s quickness out on the left wing was a good look for Germany.  Not too high on Draxler - want to see more Brandt and that cannon of his.

I agree...gotta love that Mexican team and I think after a dubious start Germany is back.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:12 AM, dreadom said:

Hmm good luck with that. I have tried to place a proposition wager, to no success, and maintain that the USA and/or Australia will win a World Cup before England wins another. I just think there is too many egos and not enough national pride in the English team, they seem far more interested in their much higher paying club matches. 

I take back what I said, for the first time in a longwhile the English players are really playing well as a team. Who knows??

11 hours ago, dreadom said:

I take back what I said, for the first time in a longwhile the English players are really playing well as a team. Who knows??

Dreads I think they'll get to at least the Quarter Final and then who knows. Just depends on the performance on the day. Just watch Fleet Street change their tune overnight. The English tabloids are a joke.

• Like 3

Colombia 3-0 Poland

Poles wilt in the heat and relentless attacking by a Colombian side hitting on all cylinders. 

Match of the day.

Falcao’s back - vintage finish.  Their offensive flow was very entertaining. 

Harry Kane 3-1 Panama.  Easy 6-1 walk over for 3 Lions.

Japan 2-2 Senegal.   Cracking stuff.  Honda with a great goal.  Two solid teams who will be a handfull for anyone.

OK so what have we learned at the end of the 2nd round of Group matches and where to from here?

Group A - Russia & Uruguay through and they meet today/night. Russia win and top the group.

Group B - Spain & Portugal most likely to go through but Iran v Portugal match today/night is vital as to who goes through and who tops group. I favour Spain to top the group.

Group C - France through with Denmark & Australia fighting it out for 2nd. Australia has slightly better chance of beating Peru than Denmark has of beating France and if there is only 1 goal difference in each match it comes down to which team has best disciplinary record. TIGHT!! C'mon Aussie C'Mon

Group D - Croatia through and can only be beaten for top of group if they lose to Iceland and Nigeria beat Argentina. I can see Nigeria at least drawing with Argentina, if Argentina continue to unravel then Nigeria could well beat them. I hope that happens. In that case Croatia 1st, Nigeria 2nd.

Group E - Hard one. You'd expect Brazil to beat Serbia but it will not be easy. Switzerland should beat Costa Rica but once again that will not be easy. Costa Rica got some pride to play for. Who finishes top if Brazil and Switzerland win? Will go down to goal difference. Too tough to call.

Group F - You'd think Mexico can do enough not to lose v Sweden and I don't see Germany losing to S Korea so Mexico 1st & Germany 2nd.

Group G - England & Belgium through in a cakewalk. Winner on Thursday night takes the prize of top of group. What a game to watch. I really don't know who to favour here and I don't think it really matters because both should beat whoever they play from Group H in the last 16.

Group H - Wow Poland gone @Ed Lada that must be quite a shock for the Polish soccer fans since they were in the seeded pot. Columbia the ones with the most to lose I reckon and need to beat Senegal. That'll be the one to watch but Japan v Poland should be good too. Another one too tough to call.

For those eager to see how the last 16 could shape up and see further how things could pan out the BBC have a handy World Cup predictor at https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44455057

At the moment I come up with Belgium as winner v France in the final.

Saudis 2-1 Egypt

Action match, Saudi’s show they can ball .  Salah at about 60%.  Too bad, I thought he was going to light it up this tournament.

Argentina represents with 5 managers in the 32.   Question as always:  with so many solid, skillful players and smart, technically adept managers -  32 years since a Cup win??

10 hours ago, albanyguy said:

OK so what have we learned at the end of the 2nd round of Group matches and where to from here?

Group A - Russia & Uruguay through and they meet today/night. Russia win and top the group.

Group B - Spain & Portugal most likely to go through but Iran v Portugal match today/night is vital as to who goes through and who tops group. I favour Spain to top the group.

Group C - France through with Denmark & Australia fighting it out for 2nd. Australia has slightly better chance of beating Peru than Denmark has of beating France and if there is only 1 goal difference in each match it comes down to which team has best disciplinary record. TIGHT!! C'mon Aussie C'Mon

Group D - Croatia through and can only be beaten for top of group if they lose to Iceland and Nigeria beat Argentina. I can see Nigeria at least drawing with Argentina, if Argentina continue to unravel then Nigeria could well beat them. I hope that happens. In that case Croatia 1st, Nigeria 2nd.

Group E - Hard one. You'd expect Brazil to beat Serbia but it will not be easy. Switzerland should beat Costa Rica but once again that will not be easy. Costa Rica got some pride to play for. Who finishes top if Brazil and Switzerland win? Will go down to goal difference. Too tough to call.

Group F - You'd think Mexico can do enough not to lose v Sweden and I don't see Germany losing to S Korea so Mexico 1st & Germany 2nd.

Group G - England & Belgium through in a cakewalk. Winner on Thursday night takes the prize of top of group. What a game to watch. I really don't know who to favour here and I don't think it really matters because both should beat whoever they play from Group H in the last 16.

Group H - Wow Poland gone @Ed Lada that must be quite a shock for the Polish soccer fans since they were in the seeded pot. Columbia the ones with the most to lose I reckon and need to beat Senegal. That'll be the one to watch but Japan v Poland should be good too. Another one too tough to call.

For those eager to see how the last 16 could shape up and see further how things could pan out the BBC have a handy World Cup predictor at https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44455057

At the moment I come up with Belgium as winner v France in the final.

Yes, the money moving to Belgium.  Keeping an eye on Lukaku’s ankle issue.  Michy with more minutes?

Aussies an interesting matchup.  They could knock Peru around a bit but Peru’s movement is a load in the kind of heat they may face.  95 degs for Egypt-Saudi’s today.  Good match.

Group E too close for a prediction here.  Serbia can bring it and I like Mitrovic in the box.   He’s a load and with good service Thiago and Miranda are going to have to play it smart or it’s PK time.

Poseurs or Real Deal?:

1. England

2. Croatia

3. Senegal

4.  Switzerland

5. Uruguay

PK for Iran in stoppage:   How is the defender supposed to jump for a 50-50 yet keep his inside arm down?    Wow, Portugal is getting hosed on that VAR.

Moroccan fans feel done in on an offside for the tie goal.   Leg offside?

Rip roaring finishes in a very combative group.

Spain to stomp Russia.   Fate has it.

New betting angle:   Based on what Federation team is doing VAR review - how many blown and/or biased calls?

The Moroccan fans feel they just got screwd by a UEFA crew.  (3 Germans & Dutchman).

This VAR option for the refs may turn out to be a defining element - good/bad in the KO’s.

Wow. What a night. I picked 0 out of 4. Spain & Portugal lucky to go through. Should Ronaldo have got a straight red for what he did rather than a yellow?

Spain lucky on that offside I reckon. Morocco cheated and Iran could feel cheated too, although if Spain lost & Iran still drew with Portugal then Spain probably would've gone through anyway as equal goal difference but Spain beat Iran in their match.

Uruguay finally woke up v Russia and unfortunately Mo Salah couldn't save Egypt from defeat against the Saudi's. Oh well there is always Premier League and Champions League for Liverpool next season. Go and have a rest Mo. We need you refreshed.

So it's Spain v Russia & Portugal v Uruguay.

And Go the Socceroos today/night & of course Le Bleus need to do us a favour by beating Denmark too.

10 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Wow. What a night. I picked 0 out of 4. Spain & Portugal lucky to go through. Should Ronaldo have got a straight red for what he did rather than a yellow?

Spain lucky on that offside I reckon. Morocco cheated and Iran could feel cheated too, although if Spain lost & Iran still drew with Portugal then Spain probably would've gone through anyway as equal goal difference but Spain beat Iran in their match.

So it's Spain v Russia & Portugal v Uruguay.

What a horrible game is Spain displaying.  Awfully lucky yesterday, yes, but Morocco didn't do much either.

Laying Lopetegui off was possibly the stupidiest thing I've seen in a looooong time. And all based on an ego trip by the new FEF president (may doom and unmitigated failure fall  upon him). What a douche.

If Fernando Hierro hits the right buttons (and has the balls to do it) Spain should comfortably beat Russia, but then again , it's Putin's backyard and anything can happen.

Our game against South Korea in 2002 made me promise myself never to watch a FIFA tournament again... Until we won in 2010.

If you can't put the goal in the net in open play in 270 minutes at World Cup level you don't deserve to get out of your group. Not for lack of trying though but at this level you got to take your chances and finish the job.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway if Socceroos won coz I heard France didn't even try v Denmark.

Socceroos going home :angry:

My team from here is Belgium.

Where’s Viduka when you need him?

Where’s he stand internationally in Aussie lore?   Cahill in prime years was the one for me.

Learned something today:   Modric and Viduka are cousins

Argentina went for it and deservedly won.  Nigeria with an edge in speed and....bunkers.

Nigeria burned themselves.   See ya in 2022.

Messi got very lucky that he and the team moved on to the next stage. Sure Argentina won the game fair and square but where was that energy in the other two pool games? The game against Croatia was embarrassing. 

They will have to step it up big time in order to move any farther.

To move up any further, Argentina will have to beat France.

So I'll just hope that they won't...

:D

How weird was it that Sampaoli was down the tunnel to clubhouse at the end?  No hugs & kisses - exit straight out.   

5 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Where’s Viduka when you need him?

Where’s he stand internationally in Aussie lore?   Cahill in prime years was the one for me.

Learned something today:   Modric and Viduka are cousins

Viduka is a legend. As is Kewell and Cahill. That was a special group in 2006. Had Italy on the ropes then ref got suckered into awarding penalty in last 5 minutes. The rest is history.  

There is hope for 2022...Arzani is his name, together with Mooy, Rogic and Leckie upfront, Sainsbury,  Behich and Risdon fown the back and Ryan in goals. We'll see how the new Manager, Graham Arnold, uses those players and builds a team around them for next year's Asian Cup. Jedinak may stay on for Asian Cup but doubt he'll be in Qatar in 22.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Viduka is a legend. As is Kewell and Cahill. That was a special group in 2006. Had Italy on the ropes then ref got suckered into awarding penalty in last 5 minutes. The rest is history.  

There is hope for 2022...Arzani is his name, together with Mooy, Rogic and Leckie upfront, Sainsbury,  Behich and Risdon fown the back and Ryan in goals. We'll see how the new Manager, Graham Arnold, uses those players and builds a team around them for next year's Asian Cup. Jedinak may stay on for Asian Cup but doubt he'll be in Qatar in 22.

Mooy impresses.

25 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Harry & Viduka @ Leeds in the flush years - good side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blunderfull said:

How weird was it that Sampaoli was down the tunnel to clubhouse at the end?  No hugs & kisses - exit straight out.   

Sampaoli is lucky the team let him stay in the country.

Back to a 4-4-2 with a decent goalie and some fighting spirit, as nature intended. That Messi goal was sublime: one touch to tame it, a second before hitting the ground to pace it into the strike zone, the third to put it in the net with no hope for the goalie. The second was a classic cross with a fast dagger to the heart by Rojas. It reminded me of Batistuta's glory days.

If they can keep this energy against France, it'll be a great game no matter how it turns out.

I don't how far will Argentina get in this WC, but this derelict isn't going to last long...

He was definitely on some good stuff last night. I agree, he won't be around for much longer. 

I wonder if we'll get any surprises tonight. Biggest surprise would be South Korea holding out Germany followed by Serbia getting over Brazil, however I'm thinking we're going to see Brazil v Germany in next round. Time for revenge for Brazil given what happened 4 years ago.

oh oh oh....  Mexico purposely tanking their game to sweden to try and push the germans out   and giving up enough goals to beat the tie breakers...

ha ha ha

2 hours ago, albanyguy said:

I wonder if we'll get any surprises tonight

With the US out of it, I've been rooting for upsets, so I've been trying to keep track of the lowest--ranked teams with a chance to advance...

Remaining teams, in order by FIFA Rank...

1 Germany TBD in Group F

2 Brazil likely to advance in Group E

3 Belgium will advance from Group G

4 Portugal second in Group B

5 Argentina second in Group D

6 Switzerland likely to advance in Group E

7 France won Group C

10 Spain won Group B

T-12 Denmark second in Group C

T-12 England will advance from Group G

14 Uruguay won Group A

15 Mexico TBD second in Group F

16 Colombia TBD in Group H

20 Croatia won Group D

24 Sweden TBD in won Group F

27 Senegal TBD in Group H

34 Serbia unlikely to advance in Group E

61 Japan TBD in Group H

70 Russia second in Group A and host

Biggest eliminations so far...  1 Germany, 8 Poland, 11 Peru, Tunisia 21, Iceland 22, Costa Rica 23.  Poland is the only significant upset to not advance, but Groups E and F could still send some highly ranked teams home.

Go Japan!?

Germany gets booted out.   Eh, they’ve been flat for two months.

Tried to get behind them but, outside of the great 2nd half agst Sweden, they just haven’t impressed.

The wheel keeps turning.

Germany actually finished fourth in their group, behind South Korea on the tiebreaker.  Ouch.  I think if Mexico had beaten Sweden, South Korea actually would have advanced by winning a 3-way tiebreaker with Sweden and Germany.  Of course, many teams can play the "would have advanced if one match went differently" game, but that's interesting.  I doubt anyone would have given South Korea a chance to advance from that group.

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Germany actually finished fourth in their group, behind South Korea on the tiebreaker.  Ouch.  I think if Mexico had beaten tried agianst Sweden, South Korea actually would have advanced by winning a 3-way tiebreaker with Sweden and Germany.  Of course, many teams can play the "would have advanced if one match went differently" game, but that's interesting.  I doubt anyone would have given South Korea a chance to advance from that group.

FTFY

Lots of spilled beer in Germany. In many ways this is the ultimate upset for such a highly ranked team to go out so early.

1 hour ago, Rum Runner said:

Lots of spilled beer in Germany. In many ways this is the ultimate upset for such a highly ranked team to go out so early.

Yes, surprising they couldn’t maintain their form off Sweden match.  

But, one thing that’s becoming a big factor in WC performance is the number of big national teams that are stacked with major club players who , by this time of year, have a hella lot of miles on their legs playing heavy league scheds and cup ties.  

Paulinho on Brazil reportedly has ‘dead’ legs now .   Story out yesterday said he has played non-stop all year (94 matches), owing to the fact he was sold from club playing a calendar year sched to one on a Euro sched.

Thomas Muller looked out of sorts in this regard too.  Not even close to his dynamic form of ‘14.   Mario Gotze, really young player still, did not even make the team this time around.  

For me, an even bigger early-exit shock was Brazil 2014.  At home & thrashed by Germany 7-1.   That’s a major ass whuppin’ anywhere - at home? worldcup?  Can’t remember another side getting smashed like that at home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

FTFY

3 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

oh oh oh....  Mexico purposely tanking their game to sweden to try and push the germans out   and giving up enough goals to beat the tie breakers...

ha ha ha

I think I'm missing something...  How could losing badly to Sweden on purpose have been beneficial to Mexico?

With a win or tie, Mexico would have won their group.  It would have made it possible for Germany to advance from second place over Sweden, though.

With a loss by 1 and a German win by 1, I believe Mexico, Germany, and Sweden would have been tied with 6 points, and all three would have had a GD of 1.  It would have only worked out for Mexico on the Total Goals tiebreaker if their loss had been 1-2 while Germany's win was 1-0, or something like that.  Or it could have gone all the way to the yellow card tiebreaker.  But it's moot because losing to Sweden by 3 isn't relevant in this case.

With a loss by 2 or more and a German win by any number, Mexico was going to be eliminated on the GD tiebreaker.

With a loss and a German tie or loss, Sweden and Mexico were going to advance, regardless of the size of the Mexican and German losses.

If Mexico was for some reason simply willing to not advance to the next round at all, in order to keep Germany from winning the group...  then I guess the implication of them taking a dive might make sense.  Germany and Sweden were tied on GD going into the match, so if both won and Sweden won by more, then the bad loss by Mexico would have cost Germany the group win...  But Germany would have still advanced over Mexico as the second place team.

Did I misunderstand the situation?

Wow. I got up and turned the TV on to see how Brazil were going v Serbia and see it's going to script. Checked the Swiss match and see that's sort of going to script too then thought I wonder what happened in the earlier games. Unbelieveable. What a World Cup of surprises. I didn't see Germany getting past Brazil next round anyway. 

Blunderfull's observation about the big stars being tired has been a bit of a feature of recent World Cups but this one seems to be even more of a factor in some of these results and the lesser teams, whose players do not feature as much in Champions League or Europe League or European domestic Leagues are more fresh. Plus they more as a team. Remember the old saying - "A champion team will beat a team of champions"

Anyway back to bed for a couple of hours of sleep.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Paulinho on Brazil reportedly has ‘dead’ legs now .   Story out yesterday said he has played non-stop all year (94 matches), owing to the fact he was sold from club playing a calendar year sched to one on a Euro sched.

Correction:  that’s 94 matches in 490 days.

That’s crazy however you count.  

12 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I think I'm missing something...  How could losing badly to Sweden on purpose have been beneficial to Mexico?

With a win or tie, Mexico would have won their group.  It would have made it possible for Germany to advance from second place over Sweden, though.

With a loss by 1 and a German win by 1, I believe Mexico, Germany, and Sweden would have been tied with 6 points, and all three would have had a GD of 1.  It would have only worked out for Mexico on the Total Goals tiebreaker if their loss had been 1-2 while Germany's win was 1-0, or something like that.  Or it could have gone all the way to the yellow card tiebreaker.  But it's moot because losing to Sweden by 3 isn't relevant in this case.

With a loss by 2 or more and a German win by any number, Mexico was going to be eliminated on the GD tiebreaker.

With a loss and a German tie or loss, Sweden and Mexico were going to advance, regardless of the size of the Mexican and German losses.

If Mexico was for some reason simply willing to not advance to the next round at all, in order to keep Germany from winning the group...  then I guess the implication of them taking a dive might make sense.  Germany and Sweden were tied on GD going into the match, so if both won and Sweden won by more, then the bad loss by Mexico would have cost Germany the group win...  But Germany would have still advanced over Mexico as the second place team.

Did I misunderstand the situation?

Assuming it wasn't a dive and just a regular loss, in your opinion, how does the rest of the Cup look for Mexico to advance?

Shit is getting real around here with their prospects, Mexico fans everywhere, it's exciting. I want to see a deep run.

I agree that I don't understand Dread's conspiracy theory, but Mexico did score an own goal, which of course, is suspicious ... almost an advertisement saying "we threw this one."

12 minutes ago, mikewof said:

Assuming it wasn't a dive and just a regular loss, in your opinion, how does the rest of the Cup look for Mexico to advance?

Shit is getting real around here with their prospects, Mexico fans everywhere, it's exciting. I want to see a deep run.

I agree that I don't understand Dread's conspiracy theory, but Mexico did score an own goal, which of course, is suspicious ... almost an advertisement saying "we threw this one."

Mike - they play Brazil next, who are shifting up the gears. If they get through that then it's Belgium or England or Columbia or Japan or Senegal. I'm favouring Belgium. I don't think they'll get past Brazil but weird shit has been happening in this World Cup so who knows.

16 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Yes, surprising they couldn’t maintain their form off Sweden match.  

But, one thing that’s becoming a big factor in WC performance is the number of big national teams that are stacked with major club players who , by this time of year, have a hella lot of miles on their legs playing heavy league scheds and cup ties.  

Thomas Muller looked out of sorts in this regard too.  Not even close to his dynamic form of ‘14.   Mario Gotze, really young player still, did not even make the team this time around.  

For me, an even bigger early-exit shock was Brazil 2014.  At home & thrashed by Germany 7-1.   That’s a major ass whuppin’ anywhere - at home? worldcup?  Can’t remember another side getting smashed like that at home.

Yes and no.  It's all about planning, Real Madrid plans their season focusing on maximum performance in May to win the CL, which is apparently all they care for. Of course it causes them to lose La Liga more often than not, but their players are in great shape right now at the WC

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

Yes and no.  It's all about planning, Real Madrid plans their season focusing on maximum performance in May to win the CL, which is apparently all they care for. Of course it causes them to lose La Liga more often than not, but their players are in great shape right now at the WC

Real Madrid can do that because they are so deep. Other teams can't.

• Like 1

Argentina need DiMaria’s speed and full-gas attacking.

As I watched them in group I realized what seemed amiss were his commited runs up the wing or middle with  laser shots he could blast from 40 meters out.

Age/injuries get them all eventually.

Argentine attack seems less angry and forceful without him.

Great player - Respect.

Argentina need DiMaria’s speed and full-gas attacking.

As I watched them in group I realized what seemed amiss were his commited runs up the wing or middle with  laser shots he could blast from 40 meters out.

Age/injuries get them all eventually.

Argentine attack seems less angry and forceful without him.

Great player - Respect.

I expect he will start against France. Probably knows the French team better than his own.

28 minutes ago, Dog said:

I expect he will start against France. Probably knows the French team better than his own.

Yes.

Haven’t seen PSG in a while - was he getting big minutes past season?

Just now, blunderfull said:

Yes.

Haven’t seen PSG in a while - was he getting big minutes past season?

PSG were awesome this year, just took the French league apart. DiMaria was a big part of it with Neymar was out for much of it. (but then I think Neymar's over rated anyway).

Di Maria looks and acts like a member of my wife's family. We're convinced he's a distant cousin, but I fear he's too fragile to be relied on.

So now all of the group matches have finished where does that leave us?

Well the biggest shocks so far are Germany and Poland out with Argentina just scraping through. Brazil, France, Belgium & England showing they could go deep but one of those will not get past the Quarters as Brazil & Belgium will meet if they win their last 16 matches. Unluckiest to be eliminated at the group stage would have to be Senegal, closely followed by Nigeria. No African teams in the last 16 and only 1 Asian & 1 CONCACAF team. 

So the matchups for the last 16 are

Uruguay v Portugal

Spain v Russia

France v Argentina

Croatia v Denmark

Brazil v Mexico

Belgium v Japan

England v Columbia

Switzerland v Sweden

No matches tonight so time to catchup on some sleep.

Meant to add this here earlier.

A new way of celebrating a goal by Batshuayi from Belgium.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, albanyguy said:

So now all of the group matches have finished where does that leave us?

Well the biggest shocks so far are Germany and Poland out with Argentina just scraping through. Brazil, France, Belgium & England showing they could go deep but one of those will not get past the Quarters as Brazil & Belgium will meet if they win their last 16 matches. Unluckiest to be eliminated at the group stage would have to be Senegal, closely followed by Nigeria. No African teams in the last 16 and only 1 Asian & 1 CONCACAF team. 

So the matchups for the last 16 are

Uruguay v Portugal

Spain v Russia

France v Argentina

Croatia v Denmark

Brazil v Mexico

Belgium v Japan

England v Columbia

Switzerland v Sweden

No matches tonight so time to catchup on some sleep.

Senegal had one more forward to go with Mane and they could be tough.   As it was, their wings couldn’t get anything on target, wasting more than a few chances agst Colombia.   Fair result, James was off early & they got it done.   Intriguing team Colombia.

Belgium seems to be the fancy pick now.  Their depth is impressive.

England?   Meh, they go good a bit then go sketchy wild.  Too young.

Croatia always tough.  Top side.

Brazil?  No idea what they may do.   Not convinced they match up well agst Belgians.

Uruguay should be a handful.  Suarez coming around at right time.   

The rest?   Depends on matchups.  Belgians handle anything you throw at them, everyone else not quite at that level yet.

I agree wrt Uruguay.  They have some fire power up front. Tough test for Portugal.

France 4-3 Argentina

Cool match.   Looked like blowout early but Argies kept pushing back.

France fun to watch - ship goals and then bang ‘em in.  Argues?   Eh, seen better from them.

Just got back from watching the France/Arg game.  Wierdly there were as many French fans as Argentina’s.  France was at a much higher level and Argentineia could not match there speed.  I’m NOT a FRANCE fan but I think they win the Cup again...

Portugal out I saw that coming.  Ronaldo make 108m a year.  He’s obviously in shape but I don’t see him coming back in Qatar...

Tough match.  Lots of stoppage.  Cavani shows his class.

Raining there earlier? Lot of slips & rolling around.

Uruguay predictable but fierce in their end.

Godin still (?) best central defender?

Who else?

He’s been so good for so long, evidenced by Atleti’s top performances agst Big Two in Spain, he just commands the final third.  Made an attack or two today.   Baller.

8 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Putin denies  charge of meddling in Russia vs Spain match :)

most fixed match ever...  except maybe that first match of the WC

aOrjbRD_460s.jpg

i must say this, rowan atkinson is one of the most underrated actors / comedians around..

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

most fixed match ever...  except maybe that first match of the WC

Yeah I must say I am a bit suss over this result. Spain hardly even tried. Lets hope the Croats have more pride in their shirt. However in saying that if England get past Columbia tomorrow and then Sweden or Switzerland in the QF then an England v Russia SF will have a LOT riding on it. Yeah I know take it to PA!! :lol::lol:

• Like 1