Dog

World Cup

The Croatians have nailed football.

7 minutes of excitement at the beginning of the game.

80+ minutes for drinking.

5 minutes of excitement at the end.

Have a Croat in the office with a VERY sore head today..

• Like 1

We did not deserve better even if the ruskies just comfortably sat on their asses while watching us ridicule ourselves.

Even if Putin had Agent Ivan pointing at the VAR referee's head with an AK47, a team without a coach can't win the WC, so the sooner Real Madrid players went on vacation, the better.

5 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

The Croatians have nailed football.

7 minutes of excitement at the beginning of the game.

80+ minutes for drinking.

5 minutes of excitement at the end.

Have a Croat in the office with a VERY sore head today..

I like watching the replays,  fast forward till about 5 mins before a goal , watch that, and so on..   speeds things up..

I was wondering why traffic in Los Angeles was so quiet this morning.  Then I remembered it was Mexico vs. Brazil.  It’s a ghost town right now!. It looks like it might be a somber Cuatro de Julio.

30 minutes ago, silent bob said:

I was wondering why traffic in Los Angeles was so quiet this morning.  Then I remembered it was Mexico vs. Brazil.  It’s a ghost town right now!. It looks like it might be a somber Cuatro de Julio.

now we get a 3 day mourning period..

My friends.  One just doesn’t realize that more goes on in Mexico, and that anything said about Mexico must be a slight.  BTW, original poster is no Right Winger!  

0A9537CA-B7C3-43D3-A85A-A87239D3CD87.jpeg

2-0 fair result for Selecao.  Mexico not enough left to hit the high gear Brazil had.

Chicharito’s injury (?) took a lot out of the attack.  That’s how it goes.

Osorio gets canned then hello USA Nats.

2 hours ago, silent bob said:

Too bad.......sorta. In one view its always fun to see folks so enthusiastic about their homeland's sports.........on the other side, it will be nice to be able to drive without the street takeover "celebrations" performed by some.

I'd say its a push..........

Belgium 3-2 Japan

Best match I’ve seen so far.  Great back & forth, beautiful goals.

Lukaku with an all-time dummy.   Sheit, that was a great looking goal.

Fellaini, again, is MONEY.

• Like 2

Well that was a surprise to wake up to this morning. Sort of wishing I turned on the TV when I had to get up for Little Miss 2 at about the 15 minute mark of the 2nd half of the Belgium v Japan match. Belgium showing some vulnerability but able to show resolve and fightback to get through the match.

Next up Brazil.

Now that'll be a good one, unless Neymar once again forgets he's a world class football player and proves he's a D grade actor again. Why was he not given a yellow for simulation? That was ridiculous. Yes his foot got trampled on but to carry on the way he did was pathetic.

• Like 1

to even call the Neymar incident a 'trample' overblows it.

the dude stepped on him - he didn't stomp him, trample him, or any other variation thereof. 

clear foul, 100% intentional and unnecessary and should have seen him red carded. The way Neymar carried on though was a complete embarrassment to both him as a player and the game at large. 

7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Belgium 3-2 Japan

Best match I’ve seen so far.  Great back & forth, beautiful goals.

Lukaku with an all-time dummy.   Sheit, that was a great looking goal.

Fellaini, again, is MONEY.

the Japanese team looked great all game , belgium looked as boring as could be for a long time..  I love the panicked look on their faces when they got down 0-2..   if only the japanese team was 4" taller and 15 kilos heavier..   that last goal, they were gassed.

10 hours ago, Point Break said:

Too bad.......sorta. In one view its always fun to see folks so enthusiastic about their homeland's sports.........on the other side, it will be nice to be able to drive without the street takeover "celebrations" performed by some.

I'd say its a push..........

70000495.jpg

1 hour ago, Derek Grebe said:

England will be dropping out later today, and heading back to their day jobs at the hair salon.

the only thing more consistent than Germany making is past the group stages is England flopping at some stage

waitaminute.....

1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

the Japanese team looked great all game , ......   that last goal, they were gassed.

Better to have taken a short corner and killed last 13 seconds, take a break, then back at ‘em.

Not clear whose decision it was to chance giving posession back to Belgium but, man did that end badly for Rising Sun.

Hazard again shows why Belgium so tough - he can hold, then attack & basically take on three defenders to free up others .  He made the winning goal happen.  Only Neymar can do that.

Friday should be a real banger.  I’m sticking with Belgium to go to Final.  Size, skill of Fellaini, Lukaku & company a real advantage on set pieces. Brazil with speed & a rock-solid midfield - will be tough for DeBruyne thru the middle of the park.

Was a tough match. Thought it was going to degenerate into a brawl at one stage. Columbians certainly were up for it however after about 4 yellows, one of which should've been red, they calmed down and then counterpunched at the death to extend the match. Was very nervous during the penalties but thankfully England prevailed,  but if they get through to final and play like that they won't win. 

53 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Was a tough match. Thought it was going to degenerate into a brawl at one stage. Columbians certainly were up for it however after about 4 yellows, one of which should've been red, they calmed down and then counterpunched at the death to extend the match. Was very nervous during the penalties but thankfully England prevailed,  but if they get through to final and play like that they won't win. 

Totally agree.  I thought the Columbians were going to lose their shit.  A least 1 of them could have easily been sent off.  In the group stage it is a red card.  England looked scared.  That back pass probably should have ended up in the back of their net.  Once Columbia stopped whining they played much better.

MS

5 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

oh and they were all primed for the traditional flop - on penalties no less!

topsy turvey sort of world cup innit?

Croatia v Belgium for the final!

you know those were the first penalty shots that looked like what a penalty shot should be..   kick the ball as hard as shit...

On 6/23/2018 at 9:00 PM, blunderfull said:

Vintage Germany.

Great 2nd half.

On 6/23/2018 at 9:38 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

what, they gas the other team?

At least they got to Moscow.

On their third attempt.

• Like 1

Harry Kane & Spurs on my short list of must-sees next season.

Had an inkling he was a baller but, really,  that is one lethal howitzer on his right leg.

Latest World Cup rankings.

Putting brits at #2 is nuts.

My top 5.

Brazil, France, Uraquay Croatia, Belgium.  The last three are interchangeable.  France has the toughest road though having to get through Uruguay,  and likely Brazil.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Latest World Cup rankings.

Putting brits at #2 is nuts.

My top 5.

Brazil, France, Uraquay Croatia, Belgium.  The last three are interchangeable.  France has the toughest road though having to get through Uruguay,  and likely Brazil.

Brits have gone all-in calling the win. its going to be devastatingly beautiful if they crash out to Sweden. 

elo ratings are about right, right now, in terms of quality of teams remainng, it's 

Brazil France Belgium Uruguay Croatia England  Sweden Russia. The first 4 are down to 2, same as the second. Someone kinda crappy has a chance for the trophy.

Just now, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

elo ratings are about right, right now, in terms of quality of teams remainng, it's 

Brazil France Belgium Uruguay Croatia England  Sweden Russia. The first 4 are down to 2, same as the second. Someone kinda crappy"threatened all the other team"s has a chance for the trophy.

ftfy

could be, we'll see after the quarters. russia followed a similar strategy to other victors against spain* 3-5-2, defended against a spanish team that didn't have the magic, and got lucky in the end.

*if they hadn't fired their coach immediately before the WC they would have done better likely.

52 minutes ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

could be, we'll see after the quarters. russia followed a similar strategy to other victors against spain* 3-5-2, defended against a spanish team that didn't have the magic, and got lucky in the end.

*if they hadn't fired their coach immediately before the WC they would have done better likely.

it's funny cos if Argentine had fired their coach immediately before the WC (or even during, what with all that scuttlebutt about a players mutiny), they too would have likely done better. 

• Like 1

Looks like no Cavani for Uruguay.  Stuani to start or Suarez lone striker?

Belgium start Kompany again or Boyata in middle?   

Carrasco and Meunier will have to come up big to help their big guys, Japan ran by them all nite.

3 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Looks like no Cavani for Uruguay.  Stuani to start or Suarez lone striker?

Belgium start Kompany again or Boyata in middle?   

Carrasco and Meunier will have to come up big to help their big guys, Japan ran by them all nite.

One of the hottest strikers in the world today and their not starting him?  (PSG's all time scoring leader) Are they going to park the bus?

11 minutes ago, Dog said:

One of the hottest strikers in the world today and their not starting him?  (PSG's all time scoring leader) Are they going to park the bus?

Cavani had a calf injury towards the end of the last game and was subbed off. If he can't play it will be a major loss for sure. Seems the best chance is that he could come on as a sub later in the game and get something from him. He plays such an athletic game (both goals in last game) that a leg injury would be a huge problem.

22 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

Cavani had a calf injury towards the end of the last game and was subbed off. If he can't play it will be a major loss for sure. Seems the best chance is that he could come on as a sub later in the game and get something from him. He plays such an athletic game (both goals in last game) that a leg injury would be a huge problem.

Thanks...Hadn't heard that.

And what about the ear biting incident at the last World Cup in Brazil!!

A couple of great games up today/night.

France v Uruguay will be tight but I think the pace of France will be telling in the end.

Belgium v Brazil - In a way I wish this was a semi or final rather than QF. Both deserve to get to final 4. Hard to choose. Didn't see the Japan v Belgium game but to show resolve to comeback from 2-0 down shows how keen they are to go further and deliver the promise. I hope it's a pulsating game with something like a 3-2 scoreline with Belgium edging through.

Casemiro’s out with cards and I don’t think Fernandinho’s same quality but solid.  Brazil’s defense past year of 10 qualifiers & WC is remarkable - only 3 goals allowed.  Set pieces for Belgium though should be clear advantage.  

Vertongen & Kompany are shaky looking at times.  Slow feet.  Marcelo & Willian are a load & Belgium back line are in for long night if they play like they did agst Japan.

Belgian flag on truck ready for a big day of footy.

9 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

I'll be happy to see Uruguay get beat. 

Still haven't forgiven Suarez for that handball debacle in 2010 v Ghana. 

Or his cannibalism. His game has slipped though, once upon a time the SOB could really put it in the net.

Watching the World Cup and listening to Uraquays National Athem I am struck by how shitty ours is.  Compounded by listening to the sublime French Anthem.  What are some of the other good ones?

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Fakenews said:

Watching the World Cup and listening to Uraquays National Athem I am struck by how shitty ours is.  Compounded by listening to the sublime French Anthem.  What are some of the other good ones?

The US Anthem isn’t bad (lots of promotion, too) - but my preference goes to the Brazilian one, especially when sung by Fafá de Belém

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fakenews said:

The Russian one is excellent. When the Soviet Union collapsed and they stopped using this NA for a number of years I thought Canada should buy the rights to it. Most national anthems are pretty lame.

France/Belgium will be exceptional I think. Both teams are so much better than anyone on the other side of the draw.

13 minutes ago, Keith said:

well done England

Yea, end-to-end spanking.   Nice side.

All the way to final?   Who thought that a possibility 3 weeks ago?

Harry Maguire!

Russia 1-1 Croatia

FFS what’s going on here?

Awkward as they look at times, Russians got it in their heads they can run with Croats.

Golazzo by Cherysev.  Very nice finish.

2-2 now with 4 mins of extra time to go. Great work by the camera man showing the hot Russian girls in the crowd.

respect.

Another game to be decided by the goalkeepers. What a fucked up sport football is.

Ha ha suck shit you Russian cunts. That will teach you to poison people and help Trump get elected. 

Mario Fernandes - career highlight/lowlight in the end.   Just wow....

The Smolov shot was piss poor too.

Croats deserved it.

great game....

I'm undecided on whose women fans are hotter................................

I’m leaning towards Swedish ladies, Colombianas then Brazil.

Not happy with no tank top shots in 90+ degs.   What the hell?

10 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Awkward as they look at times, Russians got it in their heads they can run with Croats.

Individually, and as a team, they played out of their minds this tournament. Hit well above their weight.

Can't wait for the next 4 matches.

England have done well to get to the SF's but if they get to the final and play like they did last night then they will not beat France or Belgium. They lack a quality playmaker in midfield, however are deadly on the dead ball. 

Haven't watched the Croatia v Russia game yet. Obviously the Russian mafia didn't offer enough money to the Croats. I think the right time won through though. Will be tough SF for England to win, but then again World Cup SF's should be tough.

On 7/7/2018 at 4:47 AM, Bristol-Cruiser said:

The Russian one is excellent. When the Soviet Union collapsed and they stopped using this NA for a number of years I thought Canada should buy the rights to it. Most national anthems are pretty lame.

The worst National Anthem on the planet is ours. The UK. 

It is a dull cap-doffing funereal dirge.

it is also not a National anthem, but an out-dated Royal anthem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

The worst National Anthem on the planet is ours. The UK. 

It is a dull cap-doffing funereal dirge.

Why would you say that? It's on a different, sober level

Now, if you fancy light opera, nothing can beat ours - Italy’s

PHOTO-2018-07-07-21-24-34.thumb.jpg.e8e839939b7bdb88ab29d08874c2d19f.jpg

Tallest building in the world.  How cool?

10 hours ago, albanyguy said:

England have done well to get to the SF's but if they get to the final and play like they did last night then they will not beat France or Belgium. They lack a quality playmaker in midfield, however are deadly on the dead ball. 

Haven't watched the Croatia v Russia game yet. Obviously the Russian mafia didn't offer enough money to the Croats. I think the right time won through though. Will be tough SF for England to win, but then again World Cup SF's should be tough.

Sterling, for better/worse, makes plays around the box by simply charging in and outquicking backline. He’s more creative than the rest which ain’t saying much.  That he usually has no  idea  for final pass/shot when he gets there is another story.

Maguire, Stones & Kane will be a load on the set pieces.

Croatia seems primed for a go with anyone.  That was a tough, physical match and they made it through.   Having Modric, Rakitic & Mandzukic on the ball is big plus for them.

Super Mario’s cross to Vida for goal was pure class.

10 hours ago, Xlot said:

As played today after the British F1 GP. :D

14 hours ago, Derek Grebe said:

140 staff in this office, of which:

2 Englanders - 1 Croat

battle lines are being drawn......

I’ll be making the effort to watch, though not in a pub. The sound of the knuckles dragging on the floor make it difficult to hear anything else. 

Belgium playing beautifully. would love to see them go all the way. 

Between Lukaku, Hazard &  De Bruyne their attack is in scary good form. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

I’ll be making the effort to watch, though not in a pub. The sound of the knuckles dragging on the floor make it difficult to hear anything else. 

As opposed to the sound of you sucking all the air out of the room harshing the Brit buzz...

6 minutes ago, ro! said:

As opposed to the sound of you sucking all the air out of the room harshing the Brit buzz...

Have you ever been in a UK inner city area surrounded by thousands of drunk soccer fans??

That buzz is 10 pints of strong beer or cider, several sambucas or tequila and a line of coke most of the time. 

1 minute ago, mad said:

Have you ever been in a UK inner city area surrounded by thousands of drunk soccer fans??

Yes, in excittmente I gotte bowlled overe !  My brothere laffte licke a hyena!                                    :)

8 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Sterling, for better/worse, makes plays around the box by simply charging in and outquicking backline. He’s more creative than the rest which ain’t saying much.  That he usually has no  idea  for final pass/shot when he gets there is another story.

Maguire, Stones & Kane will be a load on the set pieces.

Croatia seems primed for a go with anyone.  That was a tough, physical match and they made it through.   Having Modric, Rakitic & Mandzukic on the ball is big plus for them.

Super Mario’s cross to Vida for goal was pure class.

Imagine a combined English front three with Croatian midfield v Belgium or France. Now that'd be a good game to watch!!

2 hours ago, mad said:

That buzz is 10 pints of strong beer or cider, several sambucas or tequila and a line of coke most of the time. 

I grew up supporting Chelsea so unlike you I know about the 10% scumbag rabid drunks who give everyone a bad rap...you are just fakenewsing the millions of fans who love to watch their teams play football every week without ten pints, a punch up or a line of coke..."most of the time"

get a grip...

1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

Imagine a combined English front three with Croatian midfield v Belgium or France. Now that'd be a good game to watch!!

That’s strong.

All-tournament team?

It's a pleasure to watch Hazard and DeBruyne put in a day of work without any of the hysterical bullshit that's all too prevalent in the game. 

Classy players, those two. 

7 hours ago, mad said:

we're all watching in someone's pool.

17 hours ago, Xlot said:

Why would you say that? It's on a different, sober level

Apart from the blood-thickeningly slow pace, it is not a celebration of National identity at all. Dreadful

5 hours ago, ro! said:

I grew up supporting Chelsea so unlike you I know about the 10% scumbag rabid drunks who give everyone a bad rap...you are just fakenewsing the millions of fans who love to watch their teams play football every week without ten pints, a punch up or a line of coke..."most of the time"

get a grip...

Why does supporting Chelsea give you some special insight that nobody else has? 

When did you last watch Chelsea play a home game? 

Which club has the most players in the cup at the moment ?

8 hours ago, LeoV said:

Which club has the most players in the cup at the moment ?

PSG?

Apperantly not..It's Man City with 16.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

PSG?

Apperantly not..It's Man City with 16.

26 minutes ago, LeoV said:

At the start; yes MC.
At this stage still playing is Tottenham Hotspur , surprise... If I count correctly.
https://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2018/7/7/17544078/world-cup-2018-england-sweden-tottenham-hotspur-nine-players-semifinals-wow

Taking bets on whose form drops most next season.

Lloris for starters.  Trippier, Dier.

Mario Goetze’s form post 2014 for reference.;)

On July 9, 2018 at 2:23 AM, mad said:

Why does supporting Chelsea give you some special insight that nobody else has? 

When did you last watch Chelsea play a home game? 

I don't have insight that nobody else has...just more than you..

Millions of Brit fans around the world will be supporting our team tomorrow and the vast majority will not be dragging knuckles, nor have imbibed ten pints, sambuccas or tequila and a line of coke as you suggest...