Dog

World Cup

21 hours ago, ro! said:

I don't have insight that nobody else has...just more than you..

Millions of Brit fans around the world will be supporting our team tomorrow and the vast majority will not be dragging knuckles, nor have imbibed ten pints, sambuccas or tequila and a line of coke as you suggest...

But boy do the 10% make it a fucking pain in the arse for everyone else.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-world-cup-fans-clash-watch-video-fight-beer-garden-brawl-colombia-a8431391.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/england-world-cup-fans-sweden-celebration-ambulance-ikea-bus-stop-london-win-a8437026.html

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rival-football-fans-fight-vicious-12801258

5 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Ok, “compact” don’t make it with them.  Old argument really.   Didn’t always appear that way to me.   Really, Giroud is hapless in the box, so bring him higher to win balls.

Fellaini gets a better jump & moves Umtitti half a foot & we’re prolly looking at a shootout.  Ugh.   It was a fair result in my view.

France showed an unexpected defensive discipline, especially for such a young team. I was impressed that they could win in a different way. The missed call on Hazard just outside the box was brutal. We get an English feed in Canada and the announcer was quite clear in the criticism of the ref. I think the ref's World Cup future is bleak at best. You can't miss a call like that in such an important situation.

Want to stop the diving, call 'simulation' a lot more often. Allow it to be called post-game after a full video review. Two dives in the World Cup and you are out for the next game, or even the competition. Bet Neymar would develop a much better pain tolerance instantly. I have no use for the guy.

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

France showed an unexpected defensive discipline, especially for such a young team. I was impressed that they could win in a different way. The missed call on Hazard just outside the box was brutal. We get an English feed in Canada and the announcer was quite clear in the criticism of the ref. I think the ref's World Cup future is bleak at best. You can't miss a call like that in such an important situation.

Want to stop the diving, call 'simulation' a lot more often. Allow it to be called post-game after a full video review. Two dives in the World Cup and you are out for the next game, or even the competition. Bet Neymar would develop a much better pain tolerance instantly. I have no use for the guy.

I thought ref (Uruguayo IIRC) was ‘letting it go’ for most part.  Then it got chippy and he began to panic.  Every call he missed looks huge now but, as they point out - the VAR itself is done in real time - as the field ref is seeing it. That’s big since we know Hazard, Mbappe and Greizsman got fouled a lot and maybe one to each side goes to a PK.   I don’t think (after only one viewing of match) the ref affected the outcome.  

Open to different take since I was in a room with two French students and five young Brits who, while supposedly working on their team project, were eavesdropping on my laptop live broadcast.  Historical references for an England/France final got pretty funny after awhile.

We saw a great match, I’m good with that.

1 hour ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

It was an excellent game between two very good teams. In a 90 minute game with only one ref on the field it is easy to miss calls. If they want to get more closely called games then add another on-field ref. Still, there will be missed calls in any game. I assume most good refs are wise to the "divers" in the game. That is why I think Neymar got fewer calls as the tournament went on. I think Neymar got the in the Brazil-Belgium game when he saw that his acting had no results. He just had to play hard and stop whining.

On 7/10/2018 at 7:42 PM, ro! said:

I don't have insight that nobody else has...just more than you..

Millions of Brit fans around the world will be supporting our team tomorrow and the vast majority will not be dragging knuckles, nor have imbibed ten pints, sambuccas or tequila and a line of coke as you suggest...

I disagree.  I live diagonally across the street from a hotel in Dubai where they've put up a tent for the entire world cup for the brits.  The closest point across is a good 600 meters away and even with the doors closed and the TV on, I can hear the brits roar every time a goal is scored.  It shakes the building.  I was in the living room earlier in the week and heard a rousing rendition of "God Save the Queen" drown out the traffic noise.  So I'm pretty sure they are numerous pints in, lots of Sambuccas and lines of coke are being had by all.  Ok, maybe not the coke, as you'd probably be executed here for that.  But you get my point.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Black Sox said:

M1Ru5yT.jpeg

BRILLIANT!!!!!  :lol:

Ahhh England....sorry lads, it's not "coming home" just yet. 

Bloody brilliant free kick though by Trippier. 

Pretty scrappy and frantic in the 10-15 mins after the first goal - Croats looks pissed! in danger of carding themselves out of it until things settled. 

Modric and Perisic both played brilliantly. Perisic a bit unlucky not to finish with 2. 

Match really came to life after the Perisic equaliser. Awesome game. 

C'mon Croatia - one more match to really make history!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

France set to join Brazil as best soccer program in WC history IMHO.

Huh?

Brazil has won 5.

France has won 1. 

even if they beat the Croats and make that 2, they're a long, long way off Brazil when it comes to World Cup. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

Ahhh England....sorry lads, it's not "coming home" just yet. 

Bloody brilliant free kick though by Trippier. 

Pretty scrappy and frantic in the 10-15 mins after the first goal - Croats looks pissed! in danger of carding themselves out of it until things settled. 

Modric and Perisic both played brilliantly. Perisic a bit unlucky not to finish with 2. 

Match really came to life after the Perisic equaliser. Awesome game. 

C'mon Croatia - one more match to really make history!

Modric after 60’ gave young English middies a clinic on control, execution and calm leadership.  England looked ok at times but not really threatening. No goals from run of play for WC?  Impressive they took that all the way to a semifinal.  Sterling is crazy quick.

Super Mario all-time warrior.   He has a huge engine.   Happy for him on that goal.

I said they are joining Brazil.  Let be honest. in Recent times Brazil has sucked.  The 2014 cup ended very badly for them on home truth.  France is rising Brazil is sinking.

SAD!

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

I said they are joining Brazil.  Let be honest. in Recent times Brazil has sucked.  The 2014 cup ended very badly for them on home truth.  France is rising Brazil is sinking.

SAD!

Sad for USA fans to think where we stand now if Brazil are indeed sinking.

Since Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu of that great ‘02 winner the Selecao have looked fairly ordinary by that standard.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Sad for USA fans to think where we stand now if Brazil are indeed sinking.

Since Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos and Cafu of that great ‘02 winner the Selecao have looked fairly ordinary by that standard.

Don't pay attention to Gaytor.

12 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

SAD!

I think they're just a victim of their own success really. Anyone else would kill for their results. 

Since 94' they've won twice, runners up once and otherwise never done worse than quarter finals. 

Who else has a better record in that time? Germany would come close - for my mind they're the team that's truly poised to join Brazil up at the top. 

36 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

I think they're just a victim of their own success really. Anyone else would kill for their results. 

Since 94' they've won twice, runners up once and otherwise never done worse than quarter finals. 

Who else has a better record in that time? Germany would come close - for my mind they're the team that's truly poised to join Brazil up at the top. 

“Since ‘94 they’ve won twice...”

??  Futsal?

Well great game today, i would have liked too see England pull it off, but no.

I hear we have a great Croatian community center, here in Vancouver, I think ill go there too watch the game, should be fun...:)

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

“Since ‘94 they’ve won twice...”

??  Futsal?

?

Brazil WC Champions '94 & '02

https://m.betootaadvocate.com/breaking-news/nation-that-declared-itself-fifa-champion-after-2-wins-humbled-by-speck-of-eastern-europe/

I love watching the Poms get beat. I also have a soft spot for Croatia, I fondly  remember when the 2006 Australian Captain was actually born in Croatia and (you can see where this is going) the Croatian Captain was actually born here. 

25 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

?

Brazil WC Champions '94 & '02

Ok.  By “since”  I took to mean after 1994.   

Anyways, of the WC’ s I’ve watched (more than casually),  I would rank the winners, in all-around quality and dominance, by the following order:

1. Italy 2006

2. Spain ‘10

3. Brazil ‘02

4. France ‘98

5. Germany ‘14

6. Brazil ‘94

7. Germany ‘90

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

SAD!

The level of your idiocy never cease to amuse this board, Mr. Pilot. You're like a bad variety show from the 70's.

fuckometer.gif

12 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Ok.  By “since”  I took to mean after 1994.   

Anyways, of the WC’ s I’ve watched (more than casually),  I would rank the winners, in all-around quality and dominance, by the following order:

1. Italy 2006

2. Spain ‘10

3. Brazil ‘02

4. France ‘98

5. Germany ‘14

6. Brazil ‘94

7. Germany ‘90

you must be Italian...in '06 they were lucky to beat Australia!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hold Fast said:

you must be Italian...in '06 they were lucky to beat Australia!

Yea, always seems there’s a close one along the way for all winners. 

Brazil 1-0 USA in ‘94 was a big “win” for us.

Brazil with prime-time Romario & Bebeto up front, we thought they were going to pummel us but, we held our own.   Big, big day for US soccer - we can hang with the big boyz.

Had been following Serie A a lot in ‘06 and thought Italy were loaded for a deep run.   They were pretty impressive on their game those days - lock down D and a great midfield.

On 6/14/2018 at 9:31 AM, hard aground said:

Croatia?

Well done @hard aground you won in the dark horse stakes. Now, can they go and beat France? Need to defend like they did in the 2nd half but given they've had three 120 minute matches you'd have to think their legs are tired and France will sit back a little, use Mbappe's pace and hit them on the counter. Bring it on!!!

29 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Yea, always seems there’s a close one along the way for all winners. 

Brazil 1-0 USA in ‘94 was a big “win” for us.

Brazil with prime-time Romario & Bebeto up front, we thought they were going to pummel us but, we held our own.   Big, big day for US soccer - we can hang with the big boyz.

Had been following Serie A a lot in ‘06 and thought Italy were loaded for a deep run.   They were pretty impressive on their game those days - lock down D and a great midfield.

Don't disagree with you, but that year Italy had a couple close ones. 

v Australia they may have won anyway in extra time or in a shoot out, but really they should have closed that match out comfortably instead of the 'less than glorious' way it all played out in the 90th minute. 

v Germany in the semis it went to extra time. Germany we're looking so good to win that year with Ballack, Kahn, Klose, Podolski, Lahm etc. plus the home advantage, was all setup for a big win for the hosts. 

v France in the championship match  it went to penalties and if Zidane hadn't had one of the all time great brain fades in extra time things might have turned out different. 

still, that's how it goes sometimes

fkn love World Cup

3rd/4th playoff match - "the tie of tears" coming up for Belgium and England. 

pointless non-contest or chance for young squad/subbies to get a run in international colors?

imo scrap it and save us the sight of gutted players kitting up and pretending to smile while they go through the motions.  

mind you it could impact the Golden Boot if Lukaku puts away a brace or better. 

As a Real Madrid fan I should have to choose rooting for Varane or Modric/Kovacic... 

I have no doubts though, Go Croatia!!!

9 hours ago, Fakenews said:

#still not Gator

I see you know as much about Soccer as you do about College Football.  As evadent.

Whatever the final result, it has certainly been an interesting World Cup. Looking forward to final. As we have seen so far, anything can happen.

3 hours ago, chuso007 said:

As a Real Madrid fan I should have to choose rooting for Varane or Modric/Kovacic... 

I have no doubts though, Go Croatia!!!

Modric has been great,  I'm going with Croatia too.

Speaking of Real Madrid players, I don't understand why Benzema is not on the French team.

49 minutes ago, Dog said:

Modric has been great,  I'm going with Croatia too.

Speaking of Real Madrid players, I don't understand why Benzema is not on the French team.

It's a long story and it has nothing to do with football...

4 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I see you know as much about Soccer as you do about College Football.  As evadent.

A quick search shows that you think if not for LA and CF the Tour de France would be unknown to the vast majority of the world.

so yeah your opinions of sports in general are

DISMISSED!',,

• Downvote 1

i'm rooting for croatia for the final.

and happy brasil got eliminated, given the political situation we have here. better this way, otherwise people would be too happy for october's election.

France will take it. Kante and Mbappe are in the zone.  Croatia has done great and been fun to watch but all that over time has caught up to them. They could barely stand up when they beat Russia.   

France is fresh and explosive.  And there are a couple of other reasons to cheer for them.  First, Mbappe is donating all of his world cup pay to charity because he thinks he shouldn't be paid to represent his country.  Secondly, the heroes of the team are immigrants or the children of immigrants.  That's causing cognitive dissonance to right wing French folks and it's a good lesson for the Trump 'tards here.

You can root all you want but it will end in tears.  Croatia has no answer for Frances top four players.  They play a decent but slogging defense .  France will just run by them no matter how they stack the box.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS!!!!!

• Downvote 1

les bleus sucent, la Croatie ne prend pas de prisonniers                                   :)

Is that Snagglese French Snags?

Although I'm guessing you're saying the French suck and Croatia take no prisoners.

aoNAnE3_460s.jpg

there was a video early on of some dumb pom climbing ontop a police car, they hauled his ass down and wailed on him with their clubs...    i guess people forget that in some countries they don't tolerate shit..

great match, but how long does it take to hand out a trophy......:huh:

Good final.... but for 2 lucky goals it could have gone the other way. Congrats to both countries.

Croatia had their own lucky goal. I wouldn't count the penalty kick a lucky goal and France missed out on two likely goals.  They way to fast for Croatia.

• Downvote 1

Great Final.  Had everything.  Honest result, France a tad bit stronger on all three lines.

Thanks to way better apps & phone I saw more live matches than I ever have .  YouTube TV was freakin’ cool, perfect feed wherever I went around town in the truck.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Great Final.  Had everything.  Honest result, Pussyriot pitch invasion, France a tad bit stronger on all three lines.

Thanks to way better apps & phone I saw more live matches than I ever have .  YouTube TV was freakin’ cool, perfect feed wherever I went around town in the truck.

FIFY

Neymar needs to take diving classes from Griezmann - that was a 10/10 flop.

You can't even say he exaggerated the contact because at the time he fell there was none. blatant cheat. 

imo that was ball to hand not hand to ball. should not have been a penalty. 

Croatia seriously unlucky for both calls to go against them like that. Could have been a very different result. 

"Frogs, le champignons de le mond, innit?" as they would say in England.

the celebration dance from Griezmann after the penalty was pretty classless. 

apparently not the first time he's done it in a match.  

25 minutes ago, Sean said:

Impressive young man. 

France's Kylian Mbappe, 19-year-old phenom, will donate World Cup earnings to charity

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2018/07/15/world-cup-france-kylian-mbappe-donates-winnings-charity/786853002/

it's a nice sentiment, but lets put it in perspective before losing our minds over his generosity. 

Mbappe currently earns approx $17.5m (Euro) annually. Following the massive exposure from the World Cup, superb team and individual performance, that figure stands to significantly, significantly increase in the near future. 

his per game fee for the 7 games was total approx $133k (Euro), + win bonus approx $300k (Euro). total $433k (Euro). 

As a percentage of his annual earnings, that's less that 2.5%.

this latest gesture, only continues to ramp up his exposure and value. Really it's money he won't miss, spent on clever marketing.

Thast a negatieve viewe of generouse actte!  Hese a kidd mackeng verrey goode choises.  Anny orther players doonationes fore cpmparrixon?

58 minutes ago, Hold Fast said:

it's a nice sentiment, but lets put it in perspective before losing our minds over his generosity. 

Mbappe currently earns approx $17.5m (Euro) annually. Following the massive exposure from the World Cup, superb team and individual performance, that figure stands to significantly, significantly increase in the near future. 

his per game fee for the 7 games was total approx $133k (Euro), + win bonus approx $300k (Euro). total $433k (Euro). 

As a percentage of his annual earnings, that's less that 2.5%.

this latest gesture, only continues to ramp up his exposure and value. Really it's money he won't miss, spent on clever marketing.

That said, I stand by my statement. The kid is impressive.

1 minute ago, Sean said:

That said, I stand by my statement. The kid is impressive.

55 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thast a negatieve viewe of generouse actte!  Hese a kidd mackeng verrey goode choises.  Anny orther players doonationes fore cpmparrixon?

I don't mean to come across overly cynical of a generous act - not trying bash or berate the kid when he's gone a donated more money in one act than most could (or would) in a lifetime. good on him indeed. 

was just putting the dollars in perspective from "the widows offering" point of view - it's easier to give thousands when you have millions. 

On 7/15/2018 at 3:29 PM, Fakenews said:

Croatia had their own lucky goal. I wouldn't count the penalty kick a lucky goal and France missed out on two likely goals.  They way to fast for Croatia.

croatia just too tired..   how come they didn't review the obvious fall and resulted in the first goal.. they were quick to review the handball..

On 7/15/2018 at 3:51 PM, Hold Fast said:

Neymar needs to take diving classes from Griezmann - that was a 10/10 flop.

You can't even say he exaggerated the contact because at the time he fell there was none. blatant cheat. 

imo that was ball to hand not hand to ball. should not have been a penalty. 

Croatia seriously unlucky for both calls to go against them like that. Could have been a very different result. 

no, that was clearly a hand ball... so a proper call.

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Impressive young man. 

France's Kylian Mbappe, 19-year-old phenom, will donate World Cup earnings to charity

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/soccer/2018/07/15/world-cup-france-kylian-mbappe-donates-winnings-charity/786853002/

Dashing off to work so no time to find the link but there was a story on the BBC a few weeks back saying the ENG team have been doing this for years and that most international teams do too. Even if it’s hardly a dent for them it’s still good to do!

So I'm thinking we are seeing the answer to the ball possession game that has worked so well for Spain. Sit back and counter with the fast break. I don't know but clearly ball possession was not the key to success in this World Cup as it has been in the past.

19 minutes ago, Dog said:

So I'm thinking we are seeing the answer to the ball possession game that has worked so well for Spain. Sit back and counter with the fast break. I don't know but clearly ball possession was not the key to success in this World Cup as it has been in the past.

That trick has fortunately gotten old, I never liked it anyway... Boring your rival to death with 20.000 passes from side to side and once he's asleep score a goal Guardiola's style is gone. For good I hope.

2 hours ago, Dog said:

What happens if both teams try to use the counter-attacking style? Could be pretty boring as each sits back in defence in depth waiting for the other team to screw up.

11 minutes ago, Bristol-Cruiser said:

What happens if both teams try to use the counter-attacking style? Could be pretty boring as each sits back in defence in depth waiting for the other team to screw up.

The game has changed. I remember playing the old offensive 2-3-5 formation as a kid.

4 hours ago, Dog said:

Good 

I enjoyed the hell out watching Leicester City win the EPL at 5000 to 1, running and gunning like that. 

I also enjoyed seeing Man U sack Louis van Gaal for being a dutch putz. Wooden shoes have no place on the pitch.