Sign in to follow this  
Point Break

Failure to Launch

Okay.....I have a potted schefflera that I decided to move to another spot in the back yard. As I prepared for the move (it’s a heavy sucker) I notice a hummingbird nest in the plant. Damn.......okay, I’ll wait. It’s not unusual for us to have a couple nests around the yard at this time of year. So I know I’m looking at around 6 weeks to incubate, hatch, and “rear” the hatchling to leave the nest and I can move the plant. We’re at 8 weeks and I see no signs of it leaving. Mom & Dad are still feeding the lazy little shit and it has looked like a fully ready hummingbird for some time now.

Come on parents.....a little tough love is in order here.

HB.jpg

• Like 1

Those little guys need all eight cylinders firing to be able to fly far and long enough to get their fuel. If they leave the nest with insufficient stamina, they'll die of starvation. 

Yeah we've got em all over the place here as we have lots of flowering plants around the house. During nesting, if the nest is very close to the jacuzzi we get "buzzed" with high speed passes when we're in it....I mean REALLY high speed passes. This nest is really close to a window so its the closest I've been able to observe the little ones progress. Kidding aside they are pretty cool little critters. Their chirping always cracks me up. They are especially vocal just before nesting as they sort out their "territory" with one another. Interesting to me and I never noticed before, during the incubation and early with the nestling small finches and sparrows frequented the "tree" (its a huge schefflera) with seemingly quite a bit of interest in the nest. The hummingbirds were very persistently aggressive in running them off. Made me wonder if the finches or sparrows are a danger to the nest. Haven't looked it up yet.

4 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Yeah we've got em all over the place here as we have lots of flowering plants around the house. During nesting, if the nest is very close to the jacuzzi we get "buzzed" with high speed passes when we're in it....I mean REALLY high speed passes. This nest is really close to a window so its the closest I've been able to observe the little ones progress. Kidding aside they are pretty cool little critters. Their chirping always cracks me up. They are especially vocal just before nesting as they sort out their "territory" with one another. Interesting to me and I never noticed before, during the incubation and early with the nestling small finches and sparrows frequented the "tree" (its a huge schefflera) with seemingly quite a bit of interest in the nest. The hummingbirds were very persistently aggressive in running them off. Made me wonder if the finches or sparrows are a danger to the nest. Haven't looked it up yet.

I have a big flame acanthus next to the bathroom window,  so I get a free show when  i take a crap..  the humming birds and the ruby throated lizards get along pretty well in that bush..

16 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I'm always impressed with how territorial the hummers are with each other but given how critical ready access to calories is to their survival, I guess it shouldn't be surprising. I get buzzed in my yard too and they sound amazingly like helicopters when they do maneuvers. 

9 minutes ago, IStream said:

I'm always impressed with how territorial the hummers are with each other but given how critical ready access to calories is to their survival, I guess it shouldn't be surprising. I get buzzed in my yard too and they sound amazingly like helicopters when they do maneuvers. 

They are impressive little dudes...................we have mostly Anna's and Black Chinned around here. I believe that is a female Black Chinned in the picture. 

33 minutes ago, Point Break said:

They are impressive little dudes...................we have mostly Anna's and Black Chinned around here. I believe that is a female Black Chinned in the picture. 

We've got lots of Anna's. Talkative, territorial, acrobatic, not shy. An absolute joy to have in the garden, though I doubt the feeling is mutual. 

So Mom & Dad are out doing hummer shit so I could get a closer photo. Tell me this little guy isn't ready to take off!! (Actually, this afternoon, he was standing up when Mom was with him and she would flutter her wings and then the nestling would do the same. This went on for a good 30 minutes. Maybe launch is near!!!)

HB Close.jpg

Well.....he didn't go far just yet. I noticed Dad flitting around and upon closer look found him sitting on one of my plants on the other side of the yard. Ironically it is exactly where I will move the potted plant that held the nest. Go get em little dude!!!

HB Left.jpg

We have a lot of Hummers this year - those little fuckers are MEAN. Constantly chasing each other away from our feeders.

Saw one the other day that was coloured like I've never seen - all over bright fire orange

39 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

We have a lot of Hummers this year - those little fuckers are MEAN. Constantly chasing each other away from our feeders.

Saw one the other day that was coloured like I've never seen - all over bright fire orange

Its likely a Rufous. If not its probably an Allen's but they have a splash of throat red in addition to some orange. Orange all over is Rufous.

Time to call a judge and get his ass evicted.  Flying across the yard is like moving into the garage.  It's still too damn close.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grrr... said:

Time to call a judge and get his ass evicted.  Flying across the yard is like moving into the garage.  It's still too damn close.

I don’t mind the little dude there.....I just wanted to move the plant. Now that he is out of the nest.....I’m good.