Sign in to follow this  
zzrider

Finished upgraded solar system

Finally finished upgrading my solar arrangement.  Dual 100w Renogy Eclipse monocrystaline panels, each feeding its own Genasun MPPT controller.  Controller output switchable; can be combined to feed one bank, or split to maintain separate banks. 20180613_111437.jpg.356370b4ec7d52da13556f9e36d8a248.jpg

20180613_164236.jpg.7f2b981ada099f94597d201c71357d39.jpg20180605_191230.jpg.707a7776dca83ca317bff2dce984469e.jpg

On to the next project...

Nice.  Be sure to protect those exposed house battery lugs -- something shorting across the washers would be a very bad thing.

I did something similar for my three 100W panels.  I now have three of the Genasun MPPT controllers, and some monitoring.  It's a bit of a science project, but works quite well.  (It was nearing sunset when I took the picture).

Monitor 1.jpg

Valis - already addressed that. The terminal posts are capped with nylon washers & acorn nuts.

4 hours ago, zzrider said:

Valis - already addressed that. The terminal posts are capped with nylon washers & acorn nuts.

OK, I couldn't tell that those were nylon washers and nuts, washers presumably larger in diameter than the lugs underneath.  You've got a regular nut and washer torquing down the lug, right?  If so, it sounds pretty good.

Good work guys. But seriously, on a yacht ya gotta clock the screw heads.

From who does one get those little V/A readouts?

4 hours ago, daddle said:

Good work guys. But seriously, on a yacht ya gotta clock the screw heads.

From who does one get those little V/A readouts?

Little multimeter

They are far from weatherproof so I'd only mount them where they can't get wet.  Not sure how long they'll last but for the price I don't really care.  Have one that's still working after 2+ years.

Edit:

Yacht? Wassat?  I have a money-gobbling hole in the water.

36 minutes ago, zzrider said:

Little multimeter

They are far from weatherproof so I'd only mount them where they can't get wet.  Not sure how long they'll last but for the price I don't really care.  Have one that's still working after 2+ years.

Yep.  They are also not particularly accurate.  I ordered some extras for my little panel project, and ended up sorting them for best match and accuracy on the voltage display.  I was seeing +/- three tenths of a Volt difference among the group.  The current indications also disagreed a bit.  But they were good enough for my purposes, which is  to give me a rough indication of the panel performance, and any MPPT gain. 

Valis - i agree on the accuracy.  I'm seeing 0.2-0.3 variance also.  As you said, good enough for my purpose.

Bleh! That is the same crummy accuracy as my $200 Blue Seas “instrument”. The Raymarine voltage readout also reads uselessly high. 0.3V is what would inform me there is a failing, and maybe burning, connection somewhere important. What is it with the marine industry and accuracy? Pretty blue LED display though...I’ll buy it! 

18 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

FWIW, I monitor my system with a VictronConnect. Has a dongle and I can view from the phone. Immediate feedback on trends

This - I've used Victron MMPT solar chargers with the bluetooth dongle and it's amazingly easy to check trends from your phone.  Plus the Victron chargers are very programmable, none of the crap "select lead acid, AGM or gel" found on many other chargers.  Not too expensive either for what you get.  From now on, I'm always going to look at what Victron has as a starting point for any charging or monitoring system...

I agree on the Victron.  I don't have any, but a friend does and it looks like great stuff.  I just felt like going old-school with my project, but for trend monitoring and good diagnostics (and apparently excellent MPPT performance) the new Victron seems like an excellent solution.