Sign in to follow this  
sailsandsales

best paint to use for a thistle centerboard?

I want to paint my centerboard.    What's the best paint to use that will won't chip/rub off?

Gasoline and Match ~  Just kidding 

If it is wooden , apply 2 to 3 coats of epoxy to seal the wood grain, sand 220 to fair and then apply Interlux perfection orsimiliar - I assume you are dry sailing 

22 hours ago, ScowVegas said:

Gasoline and Match ~  Just kidding 

If it is wooden , apply 2 to 3 coats of epoxy to seal the wood grain, sand 220 to fair and then apply Interlux perfection orsimiliar - I assume you are dry sailing 

I think perfection will get abused pretty quickly - need something harder.  VC underwater epoxy is pretty hardy - at least it is an absolute bitch to sand if it has fully cured

On 6/15/2018 at 10:38 AM, Christian said:

I think perfection will get abused pretty quickly - need something harder.  VC underwater epoxy is pretty hardy - at least it is an absolute bitch to sand if it has fully cured

So what's the window for sanding before the absolute bitch presents itself? Inquiring minds...........

5 hours ago, kinardly said:

So what's the window for sanding before the absolute bitch presents itself? Inquiring minds...........

As soon as you can wetsand without getting rollies.  Spray a couple of  test panels at the same time as you spray the item at hand so you can test sand.  As far as I remember it is a window of 12-36 hours after spraying

i would go w Awlgrip 545 epoxy primer and call it a day...

very hard,  easy to fair and re-apply, long lasting barrier coat. polish to mirror finish if desired.