Rumor & Gossip

Titanium Snap Shackle Pin??

My titanium snap shackle pin fell out last night, the pull ring must have gotten caught on something.

Does anyone know of a place to get Ti pieces? This was an ebay special, but still pretty expensive to just throw away..

Do you know the manufacturer? If not,  it might be easier to find a stainless or bronze part to replace the missing pin - I doubt it would impede the function. I lost a spindle on a winch and had a local machine shop make a replacement for me from stainless stock (it cost $50 for a half hour of machine time but it was cheaper than a new winch). You might be able to make a new pin yourself with a bronze or stainless rod of the correct diameter. 

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Try McMaster-Carr

+1, their tolerances are pretty good, you may be able to buy 6" (minimum purchase I think) of correct O.D. and just punch it in.

Otherwise bring it and some material to your local machine shop with some beer.

HW

Good ideas. Think I'm going to Equiplite swivels for now, and machine some new pins using my other shackle. Now to see if Mcmaster has Ti springs and ringdings...

Sometimes the simplest solution is the easiest. While I was in West Marine buying replacement shackles, they had a Ronstan shackle fix it kit. I guesstimated on size, figuring I could return it, but just installed it last night within 2 minutes. In fact, with my experience with titanium galling, I'm suprised I even wanted a Ti pin now.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.