Baldur

Missing sailors, but apparently they were not sailing....

Recommended Posts

http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/wife-says-husband-on-dream-voyage-from-panama-now-heartbreaking-disappearance/wcm/1f861bad-9298-42fe-9396-e5b24f2a37ca

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's very disturbing. I hope they show up safe, but that's a month now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/wife-says-husband-on-dream-voyage-from-panama-now-heartbreaking-disappearance/wcm/1f861bad-9298-42fe-9396-e5b24f2a37ca 

 

Sorry that wasnt a hyperlink, should be now

It says they paid a month of moorage, so I assume the boat is still there, but it doesnt really say for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“We have so many psychics telling us that Dan is still alive somewhere,” she said..."

mmmmm..escaping the nutty wife.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And proving her psychic BS is wrong to boot.

Drug run gone bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

And proving her psychic BS is wrong to boot.

Drug run gone bad?

I heard that surveillance footage showed them leaving the dock area with extremely large backpacks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ishmael said:

I heard that surveillance footage showed them leaving the dock area with extremely large backpacks.

Weren't they planning on hitching it across the island?

With the Grizzly hunting ban taking full effect this year, there has been a bunch of disappearances in the woods on the Island.  Guessing they are bear poo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

grizzly-bear-face-wallpaper-3.jpg

So the bear killed 'em for the drugs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 7:04 PM, Dilligaf0220 said:

Weren't they planning on hitching it across the island?

With the Grizzly hunting ban taking full effect this year, there has been a bunch of disappearances in the woods on the Island.  Guessing they are bear poo.

Were they hitching to a town they just sailed past?  Seems a little shady but I'm not familiar with the area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, eastern motors said:

Were they hitching to a town they just sailed past?  Seems a little shady but I'm not familiar with the area.

There's only one Customs check-in on the West coast of Van isle, the marina they were berthed at.  Apparently they were hitching to his buddy's house on the island 300km away.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

There's only one Customs check-in on the West coast of Van isle, the marina they were berthed at.  Apparently they were hitching to his buddy's house on the island 300km away.

 

 

There's a bunch of weird stuff going on the island at the moment, one of the guys was a friend of a friend of mine, and my friend is of the opinion there was no way they would be mixed up in anything sketchy and is leaning towards the bear or wrong place wrong time theory.  They also mentioned there was another weird disappearance around the same time, and something about a van that was found in the woods from someone else who went missing around the same time with blood on the drivers seat.  To be honest I was only half paying attention because I was busy fixing something on their truck, but I don't think I'd be hitchhiking myself or picking up hitch hikers for a bit around here... Scary stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, jgbrown said:

There's a bunch of weird stuff going on the island at the moment, one of the guys was a friend of a friend of mine, and my friend is of the opinion there was no way they would be mixed up in anything sketchy and is leaning towards the bear or wrong place wrong time theory.  They also mentioned there was another weird disappearance around the same time, and something about a van that was found in the woods from someone else who went missing around the same time with blood on the drivers seat.  To be honest I was only half paying attention because I was busy fixing something on their truck, but I don't think I'd be hitchhiking myself or picking up hitch hikers for a bit around here... Scary stuff.

That guy was a contractor on the other side of the island.  Worked a job that morning, then stopped on a backroad on the way to another job on the other other side of the island for who knows what.  Guy walking his dog found his work van with the drivers door open, blood on the door or seat, and the van running.  This all happened the same day the original two disappeared.

Then there's the East Coast guy hitching across the island on the same highway the two guys were planning on only coming the other way.  He had a fishing job lined up at the same town the two docked at, he just up & disappears somewhere along the way.

So far in the last 6mos or so there's half a dozen guys that have disappeared along the roads there.  Oh and the psychic employing wife, she's been charged by a bear on one of the searches.

Meh BC has always been a bit off, but either way I don't see these guys humping down a road with a couple bales slung over their shoulder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

That guy was a contractor on the other side of the island.  Worked a job that morning, then stopped on a backroad on the way to another job on the other other side of the island for who knows what.  Guy walking his dog found his work van with the drivers door open, blood on the door or seat, and the van running.  This all happened the same day the original two disappeared.

Then there's the East Coast guy hitching across the island on the same highway the two guys were planning on only coming the other way.  He had a fishing job lined up at the same town the two docked at, he just up & disappears somewhere along the way.

So far in the last 6mos or so there's half a dozen guys that have disappeared along the roads there.  Oh and the psychic employing wife, she's been charged by a bear on one of the searches.

Meh BC has always been a bit off, but either way I don't see these guys humping down a road with a couple bales slung over their shoulder.

Charged and deterred it with bear spray or a gun, or just charged vaguely towards her then wandered off?  The latter is pretty common, it happened to me the other week walking my dogs(black bear with cub). my younger dog decided to be an asshole and barked at the bear instead of shutting the fuck up, bear didn't appreciate it, but not the first time I've had that happen with a bear.   The back roads driving isn't uncommon towards the north end of the island, lots of people prefer to bomb around on the gravel roads, myself included(normally).  Some like me because it's scenic and less traffic, lots of nice spots to stop for the dogs to run around off leash.  Others because they are idiots and want to drink while they drive.  I used to frequently stop for naps/pee breaks/walk the dogs around somewhere pretty breaks too, unless we were going far or I planned to sleep more than 20 min,  I'd leave it running because if it didn't start for whatever reason, you might be waiting quite a while in an area with no reception for help.   Myself I'm leaning towards there is something sketchy going on but wrong place/wrong time rather than the people who disappeared doing something bad, they really sounded like a couple normal guys on a cool adventure.  I remember a few years back hearing of a few people getting flagged down in weird situations and someone trying to attack/kidnap them, enough that I asked my girlfriend at the time to not stop if flagged down and just call in anyone looking like they were in trouble instead.  I've quit driving the gravel routes unless needed and no more stopping in sunny spots with the windows down for a snooze. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A co-workers father was tracked down by the RCMP recently on this case. They found him shopping in the local Home Depot, hauled his ass outside to a black unmarked SUV and asked him a lot of questions for 1/2 hour, while video taping him.

Random serial killer?  The guy who keeps throwing feet with sneakers into the ocean around here?

I really, really doubt a bear. I can't think of any bear attack where two people were killed. If it was a bear, you wouldn't have the major crime guys there investigating. There would be chew marks and body parts missing and it would be obvious what had happened.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zonker said:

I really, really doubt a bear. I can't think of any bear attack where two people were killed. If it was a bear, you wouldn't have the major crime guys there investigating. There would be chew marks and body parts missing and it would be obvious what had happened.

 

The contractor that disappeared I doubt was a bear. 

And I've heard of more two person bear attacks/deaths than sketchy serial killers taking on two healthy men on the side of the road on a whim.  Off the top of my head was that bear whisperer that was mauled to death with his girlfriend in their Alaskan bush camp.  In Ontario we've had black bears maul couples in their tent on several occasions, hell not that long ago two Hydro line workers were both attacked and only survived because one stabbed the bear to death with the Buck knife he always carried.  And Grizzlies are a whole different animal.

 

The wife getting charged by a Grizzly was just an aside in a CBC article, which for the Vancouver CBC mentioning anything negative about Grizzlies is huge.  And she was in a search party group at the time.  We're just going to have to wait until they release COD details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This all sounds like a Coen Brothers film, somehow transplanted to Canada.

But probably still with John Goodman as a psycho

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy shit! I’ve been charged by a Black bear and it was terrifying. Needing to stab one to death as it attacks is unimaginable. Browns would be a step even further into the revenant realm of where I don’t want to even think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bears are weird. Sometimes, they're just very curious about us.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The expertise of the mainland cops attending the scene suggests bears are not suspects. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2018 at 8:14 PM, Zonker said:

I really, really doubt a bear. I can't think of any bear attack where two people were killed. If it was a bear, you wouldn't have the major crime guys there investigating. There would be chew marks and body parts missing and it would be obvious what had happened.

And besides, one person can always run faster than the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, spankoka said:

The expertise of the mainland cops attending the scene suggests bears are not suspects. 

The BC Coroners office are also the people that would be needed to ID bodies that are less than whole.  The RCMP haven't even confirmed the ID yet, so they're waiting for dental/DNA records.

Which suggests a somewhat grizzly end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

The BC Coroners office are also the people that would be needed to ID bodies that are less than whole.  The RCMP haven't even confirmed the ID yet, so they're waiting for dental/DNA records.

Which suggests a somewhat grizzly end.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrive from Panama

PAY a month moorage

Do not contact family

Depart marina on foot 3d later

That sounds fishy, did not contact family? Who sails in from central america and does not contact family?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Lord! And you North Americans pay out on us Aussies about our dangerous wildlife! 

We may have a few things that bite or sting but we don't have any man eating mammals roaming the countryside. Plenty of cougars in the cities I grant you but they don't bite off and swallow body parts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

we don't have any man eating mammals roaming the countryside

Those Queensland crocodiles are so much more benign ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Those Queensland crocodiles are so much more benign ...

 Have crocs been reclassified as a Mammal? I didn't know that.

Darwin wrote a book about people that get eaten by Crocodiles. Interestingly I met a chap a few days ago who likes on his boat in Doboy creek (a place near the port in Brisbane where old boats go to die and dysfunctional people go to live on dying boats) He swears that there is a croc living in the creek and he has seen it many times. I have asked him to get me an ounce of that stuff he smokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LB 15 said:
26 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

Those Queensland crocodiles are so much more benign ...

 Have crocs been reclassified as a Mammal? I didn't know that.

No, of course they haven't.

I'm more concerned with the fact that an animal bites off limbs than which scientific category it falls into

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TwoLegged said:

No, of course they haven't.

I'm more concerned with the fact that an animal bites off limbs than which scientific category it falls into

As i said, people that get taken by crocs either want to or are the intellectual equivalent of the slow wildebeest at the back of the heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Good Lord! And you North Americans pay out on us Aussies about our dangerous wildlife! 

We may have a few things that bite or sting but we don't have any man eating mammals roaming the countryside. Plenty of cougars in the cities I grant you but they don't bite off and swallow body parts. 

Well, viewed from here it appears that nearly every living thing in Oz is a two-stepper of some sort. Just sitting on your front porch or walking on your lawn can get you killed.

Here you have to be fairly Darwinian to get killed by the wildlife

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Good Lord! And you North Americans pay out on us Aussies about our dangerous wildlife! 

We may have a few things that bite or sting but we don't have any man eating mammals roaming the countryside. Plenty of cougars in the cities I grant you but they don't bite off and swallow body parts. 

Anybody die after being stung by an irukandji jellyfish lately? I'd rather deal with bears than invisible death jellyfish.

 

On 6/18/2018 at 4:26 PM, Zonker said:

This doesn't look good. :( 

 

RCMP investigating remains of two people found in Ucluelet area

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/rcmp-investigating-remains-of-two-people-found-in-ucluelet-area-1.3978593

 

Unreal. No updates on the investigation yet?

As far as the backpacks and drugs theory, that would be cocaine, not weed. Who would smuggle Panamanian pot into BC? That would be like smuggling Bud Light into Denver, no pun intended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the way to a bachelor party at Whistler about 10yrs ago CBSA sent two carloads of us inside for secondary inspections ( an NRA sticker on ur windshield is A red flag, btw) they were looking for weapons and threatened us several times that someone would go to jail if they found even 1 rd of ammunition. 

I had 5gms of weed in my pocket. I want worried until I saw the dog come in.  

No charges. I was given a choice; sign here and withdraw my request to enter Canada. Or sit in this cell behind the counter until Monday when i can try to convince a judge why he should let me in the country when i had undeclared dutiable items!

Now my passport beeps at the booth and the agent asks if I have anything I want to tell them. Then I have to explain the whole thing. 

I have been asked several times why I was bringing sand to the beach.

So, ppl do bring weed into BC. Not saying it was the smart thing to do. Obviously it wasn't. 

If u ever need me to give u a ride to the great white north, plan on an extra 30min for a secondary inspection. And dont have anything with u that u shouldn't have!  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

No, of course they haven't.

I'm more concerned with the fact that an animal bites off limbs than which scientific category it falls into

If you want to get killed by an animal in North America, the best way is to hit a big one with a car. In the USA alligators and crocodiles combined kill someone around once every three years while deer kill off about 200 per year via car crashes.

* last death by reptile I heard of was a drunk that decided to "fight the alligator" which turned out to be a croc which turned out to be a much tougher opponent :o

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If you want to get killed by an animal in North America, the best way is to hit a big one with a car. In the USA alligators and crocodiles combined kill someone around once every three years while deer kill off about 200 per year via car crashes.

I'd much prefer to be in a car crash than be eaten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

If you want to get killed by an animal in North America, the best way is to hit a big one with a car. In the USA alligators and crocodiles combined kill someone around once every three years while deer kill off about 200 per year via car crashes.

* last death by reptile I heard of was a drunk that decided to "fight the alligator" which turned out to be a croc which turned out to be a much tougher opponent :o

 

Some poor lady in FL was pulled into a lake and killed by an alligator a few weeks ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Good Lord! And you North Americans pay out on us Aussies about our dangerous wildlife! 

We may have a few things that bite or sting but we don't have any man eating mammals roaming the countryside. Plenty of cougars in the cities I grant you but they don't bite off and swallow body parts. 

What weirds North Americans out is that in OZ the things that can kill you can fit into a shoe.

Atleast you can see a bear coming.  And if it's in shoes then you're pretty much fucked, or smoking BC weed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, d'ranger said:

The waiting is becoming unbearable.

There's a backlog when it comes to resources in Canada, if they need the Coroners Office to ID the bodies it will take awhile.

The remains were out there for over a month.  In a rainforest.

And I see what you did there :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dilligaf0220 said:

What weirds North Americans out is that in OZ the things that can kill you can fit into a shoe.

Atleast you can see a bear coming.  And if it's in shoes then you're pretty much fucked, or smoking BC weed.

USA - Ouch! A snake bit me. Please take me to the hospital to get a shot so I do not die. Thanks!

Australia - Ouch!

rip.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Australia - Ou.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not that you can't get killed by a snake here, but you have to put some real effort into it :rolleyes: (see snake handler churches, we don't need no stinking shots)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had some 'interesting' encounters with black bears and luckily never with a grizzly.

My first was as a 12 year old. Myself and another young camper were portaging a two man kayak about 100 yards or so between two small lakes in Southern Ontario in the beautiful Georgian Bay area. We were falling behind our group a little bit, and the brush and alder trees were so thick you could barely see a couple feet in front of you. We came to a stop to listen for others ahead of us to make sure we were going in the right direction, when a very low pitched growl announced the presence of a mother bear, no more than a couple of feet to our left on her hind legs. Naturally, we looked to our right for a route away from the bear, only to realize that we had walked right in between a couple of young cubs and their mother. We said nothing. I basically nudged the kayak into my fellow campers back as if to say, keep moving. The mother bear did nothing. To this day, I wonder if it was beausw we were young kids and not adults that made us unthreatening. 

Another memorable one was up in Northern Ontario. I used to plant trees as a university student in the summers. We were re planting a massive multi-hundred thousand hectare (or something like that) forest fire, and were having a grand  old time in the mess tent at the end of another long gruelling day. Picture about 5 or 6 eight foot long tables forming one long dining table in the tent, with a 'flap' entrance at one end and a side entrance at the other, where the kitchen was. Without warning our dinner was rudely interrupted when a fully grown black bear crashed the party and barged in the flap at the end of the tent, bounding up on the table only to slide on its ass like a 500 pound bowling ball, the full length of the 5 tables, sending plates, food and drinks in every direction, landed on its ass at the other end, stood up, gave us a quick, quizzical look, and bolted out the side flap. 

Holy shit! The whole thing lasted a couple of seconds but it would be a couple of minutes before our collective heart rates got down to a manageable level and we all had a laugh about it. 

This was after the 'old days' where you would just shoot an intruding bear, and it was protocol to call the ministry of forestry, who would bring a large cage/trap on a trailer and relocate the bear. The next morning, sure enough, our new friend was snoring in his cage waiting to be carted off to his new grounds. 

A few more tales here and there, but again, luckily no grizzlies (having done the same job in the B.C.  interior). To tell you the truth, I'm more afraid of mountain cats or some kind of wolf pack than bears, both of which I've luckily never encountered in the wild.

I guess part of it is the luck of the draw. 

RIP to these unfortunate guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

USA - Ouch! A snake bit me. Please take me to the hospital to get a shot so I do not die. Thanks!

Australia - Ouch!

But Ireland we had Saint Patrick:

1533383628_SaintPatrickbanishessnakes.JPG.3096335ac86069374760cce26779c51e.JPG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kent_island_sailor said:

USA - Ouch! A snake bit me. Please take me to the hospital to get a shot so I do not die. Thanks!

Australia - Ouch!

rip.jpg

I found a study conducted between 2000 and 2013 in Australia. 27 people died from bee stings, the same number that died from snake bite. No one has died from a spider bite since 1999 and only 3 people died from jellyfish stings. During the same period 74 Australians were killed by horses - about the same number of people who are killed by guns in the US each week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, LB 15 said:

I found a study conducted between 2000 and 2013 in Australia. 27 people died from bee stings, the same number that died from snake bite. No one has died from a spider bite since 1999 and only 3 people died from jellyfish stings. During the same period 74 Australians were killed by horses - about the same number of people who are killed by guns in the US each week.

You are way understating the USAs rate of gun death.  In 2016, there were more than 38,000 gun-related deaths in the U.S. .... which is about 730 per week.

Homicides-by-gun were about 11,000 in 2016, which is ~210 per week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fuck I love this place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LB 15 said:

During the same period 74 Australians were killed by horses - about the same number of people who are killed by guns in the US each week.

I've never liked or trusted horses.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, fufkin said:

I've had some 'interesting' encounters with black bears and luckily never with a grizzly.

My first was as a 12 year old. Myself and another young camper were portaging a two man kayak about 100 yards or so between two small lakes in Southern Ontario in the beautiful Georgian Bay area. We were falling behind our group a little bit, and the brush and alder trees were so thick you could barely see a couple feet in front of you. We came to a stop to listen for others ahead of us to make sure we were going in the right direction, when a very low pitched growl announced the presence of a mother bear, no more than a couple of feet to our left on her hind legs. Naturally, we looked to our right for a route away from the bear, only to realize that we had walked right in between a couple of young cubs and their mother. We said nothing. I basically nudged the kayak into my fellow campers back as if to say, keep moving. The mother bear did nothing. To this day, I wonder if it was beausw we were young kids and not adults that made us unthreatening. 

Another memorable one was up in Northern Ontario. I used to plant trees as a university student in the summers. We were re planting a massive multi-hundred thousand hectare (or something like that) forest fire, and were having a grand  old time in the mess tent at the end of another long gruelling day. Picture about 5 or 6 eight foot long tables forming one long dining table in the tent, with a 'flap' entrance at one end and a side entrance at the other, where the kitchen was. Without warning our dinner was rudely interrupted when a fully grown black bear crashed the party and barged in the flap at the end of the tent, bounding up on the table only to slide on its ass like a 500 pound bowling ball, the full length of the 5 tables, sending plates, food and drinks in every direction, landed on its ass at the other end, stood up, gave us a quick, quizzical look, and bolted out the side flap. 

Holy shit! The whole thing lasted a couple of seconds but it would be a couple of minutes before our collective heart rates got down to a manageable level and we all had a laugh about it. 

This was after the 'old days' where you would just shoot an intruding bear, and it was protocol to call the ministry of forestry, who would bring a large cage/trap on a trailer and relocate the bear. The next morning, sure enough, our new friend was snoring in his cage waiting to be carted off to his new grounds. 

A few more tales here and there, but again, luckily no grizzlies (having done the same job in the B.C.  interior). To tell you the truth, I'm more afraid of mountain cats or some kind of wolf pack than bears, both of which I've luckily never encountered in the wild.

I guess part of it is the luck of the draw. 

RIP to these unfortunate guys.

Unless said wolf pack has rabies, you would have nothing to fear from them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

Unless said wolf pack has rabies, you would have nothing to fear from them.

Not necessarily. Though wolves are traditionally extremely shy, so shy that most will never encounter one in the wild, there are more and more cases cropping up demonstrating that they are becoming less so, and more comfortable around humans, especially around rural camps and mines that can be a source of food. Some scientists think this behaviour is being passed down through pack and to subsequent generations. There is also the factor that many species have interbred with coyotes, of which rural Canadians are having more and more of a problem with, mainly with livestock. Coyotes are definitely not afraid of humans, so much so that they inhabit the ravines and wooded areas inside my hometown of Toronto. 

My fear is no doubt irrational based on the odds, but I cottage right next to the biggest population in Ontario, and man, do I hear them howling from time to time.

https://www.simcoe.com/opinion-story/7081303-wolves-are-losing-their-natural-fear-of-humans/

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/he-was-testing-humans-as-potential-prey-why-canadas-richest-uranium-mining-region-is-haunted-by-wolves

Your comment upthread that the biggest danger is running into an animal is 'bang' on. Happened just two days ago in Northern Ontario...again. Usually it's a moose. Running into a moose is like running into a brick wall. I've seen what a car looks like in the aftermath and it ain't pretty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is where we got dogs from - the friendliest wolves hanging around people got recruited as watchdogs and hunting assistants ;)

I would have no fear of a wolf, but a wolf-dog or wolf-coyote hybrid might end up in a bad spot on the possible combination of behaviours. We were at a wolf sanctuary and they echoed that - the wolves won't hurt you, but the hybrids might. They had one wolf there that was owned by someone who thought it was a dog and kept taking it to the vet because it would freak right on out when left alone in the house. Finally the vet got a DNA test and told the guy "well wolves are pack animals, you are his pack leader, and you can't leave him alone". The wolf ended up at the shelter to hang out with his wolf buddies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You use the word 'would', so the fear or no fear is conditional. Mine is too. On an everyday basis up north or in the woods, I don't worry about them in the slightest...just that if I 'were' to run into a wolf or wolf pack...somethings wrong with that picture...so enter your term 'possible combination of behaviours'. If given the choice of running into a wolf(pack) or a black bear in the wild...Id take the black bear every time. 

This, from the comfort of my I-pad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sad news

 

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/family-says-remains-found-near-ucluelet-are-those-of-missing-men

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fufkin said:

You use the word 'would', so the fear or no fear is conditional. Mine is too. On an everyday basis up north or in the woods, I don't worry about them in the slightest...just that if I 'were' to run into a wolf or wolf pack...somethings wrong with that picture...so enter your term 'possible combination of behaviours'. If given the choice of running into a wolf(pack) or a black bear in the wild...Id take the black bear every time. 

This, from the comfort of my I-pad.

Total opposite here. I would try and get the wolves to hold still for photos. The bear.....not so much. We have  black bears here that are supposed to run off if you yell at them, but that does not seem to be working 100% anymore. Not sure why.

 

HAGERSTOWN, Md. –  A 63-year-old woman mauled by a black bear in Maryland's first such attack in decades tried to fight off the animal before deciding it would be safer to lie still, her husband said Thursday at the hospital where she's recovering.

"She said she punched him in the face a couple times," Ronald Osborne said. "She's a tough babe."

He said Karen Osborne used her cellphone to call 911 after she was attacked Wednesday night in the driveway of their daughter's rural home near Frederick, about 45 miles west of Baltimore.

She was listed in good condition with a broken left arm and bite wounds on her head and torso that required more than 70 stitches, her husband said. He said she was in a lot of pain and didn't want to be interviewed.

NJ - A Rutgers University student hiking in the woods of northern New Jersey was mauled to death Sunday by a 300-pound black bear in what authorities said was a highly unusual attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kent_island_sailor said:

We have  black bears here that are supposed to run off if you yell at them, but that does not seem to be working 100% anymore. Not sure why.

 

Same reason some people are assholes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks more & more like a drug run gone bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Remains found on western Vancouver Island earlier this month are those of missing B.C. men Ryan Daley and Dan Archbald, according to police.

The Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit confirmed in a Friday news release that they are investigating the deaths of Daley, 43, and Archbald, 37, as a homicide.

The MCU involvement I had disregarded because they were already involved in the missing persons case,  to issue that statement with no cause of death means something really do go on hours after they humped out of the marina.  And it probably wasn't a bear.

Quote

"Inspector Hall cautions that the widespread use of social media and the internet as sources of information risks drawing linkages that do not exist, or spreading false information that becomes increasingly difficult for police to untangle in their investigation," Island District RCMP said.

Hey you never know, it coulda been a bear in shoes that learned to fire a shotgun!  OMFG bears can shoot guns now that they are so acclimated to human hunters!

Anywho...

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/homicide-investigation-launched-after-remains-of-missing-men-found-near-ucluelet-1.3993842

I still have a hard time believing that these guys have a load in their packs at this moment.

image.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Published on Mar 1, 2018

Quote

The Tom cougar was scared off 3 times and returned without fear.
[...]
Adam attempted to scare off the cat 3 times off of camera without success. We estimated the cougar to be approximately 140 pounds. This was taken March 1st, 2018 just north of Campbell River.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 6:53 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

That is where we got dogs from - the friendliest wolves hanging around people got recruited as watchdogs and hunting assistants ;)

To quote one of the comments on this video:

Quote

Maybe we've been domesticating dogs since WE were monkeys...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 9:53 AM, kent_island_sailor said:

That is where we got dogs from - the friendliest wolves hanging around people got recruited as watchdogs and hunting assistants ;)

WisconsinPug_zpsw0fnene6.jpg

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, Fah Kiew Tu said:

I've never liked or trusted horses.

FKT

I was bitten by a horse once. So glad it wasn't venomous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

A small surfing hamlet on Vancouver Island? I've heard it all now...

I thought Ucluelet was an omelette with gravy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2018 at 8:42 PM, Rasputin22 said:

A small surfing hamlet on Vancouver Island? I've heard it all now...

Surfing is big on Van Isle, hell you can't even have a wedding on the beach there without the Canadian Prime Minister photobombing you with a board.

 

prime-minister-justin-trudeau.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 11:46 AM, SloopJonB said:

I said right from the start that it looked like a drug run gone bad but that story is just pure speculative BS.

come on now, who are we to argue with bulletproof credentials like this:

Those who know me personally know of my connection to the F.B.I. I am a dual citizen of both Canada and the USA. I spent 44 years of my life down there and married into an F.B.I. family. Thus, I have many law enforcement contacts

i mean this guy lived in the states and married someone with a retaliative who possibly spent time in the FBI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, freewheelin said:

come on now, who are we to argue with bulletproof credentials like this:

Those who know me personally know of my connection to the F.B.I. I am a dual citizen of both Canada and the USA. I spent 44 years of my life down there and married into an F.B.I. family. Thus, I have many law enforcement contacts

i mean this guy lived in the states and married someone with a retaliative who possibly spent time in the FBI

Agreed, after acting as his own fluffer he goes on about the authorities being able to measure the load a (heeling fiberglass) boat carried due to sea water induced corrosion at the waterline. Then he brings up a high value-low volume cargo that they tossed over board... yet they kept enough to sell for a small fortune?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 9:40 AM, BarfBag said:

 

On 7/11/2018 at 9:46 AM, SloopJonB said:

I said right from the start that it looked like a drug run gone bad but that story is just pure speculative BS.

 

Pure speculative BS is right. Hal Hannon, the author of the article claims:

So, now that you understand drug smuggling somewhat better, here is the full story and what went wrong

Daniel Archbald and Ryan Daley were hired to bring a significant load of dope from South America to Canada. When they were skirting around Port Angeles an air reconnaissance plane doing a routine patrol just happened to be flying low over approaching watercraft.

The gig was up

Archbald and Daley knew that their waterline showed them to be carrying a significant load of something. They also figured that the recon flight saw their waterline. Therefore, they panicked.

They realized that because of their waterline that they could never get to port without an inspection. Accordingly, they ditched the dope overboard before arriving at the Ucluelet Small Craft Harbor.

 

Later, Mr. Hannon, says his contact reported the boat tested positive for "ions" of cocaine and fentanyl, while going on to describe the dangers of fentanyl. So, how much cocaine and fentanyl would it take for a coast guard plane to notice an overloaded 47 foot sailboat? (I'm guessing it's a 47, but it's around there.) I think it would take at least two or three tons for someone who really knows that particular design to sense it's heavily loaded while observing it in a seaway. It would take more like five tons for someone who really knows cruising boats to say, yea, that boat is overloaded while watching from the air as the boat sails in a seaway. The author apparently believes there was around 2000 to 5000 kilos of cocaine and fentanyl aboard that boat.

This is not to say the whole affair doesn't smell like a drug deal gone bad. But this waterline theory, described as fact, is ridiculous.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did the victims actually say they moved the boat to Ecuador for the winter to save on dock fees? Or did they do a big refit in South America? I didn't marry into the FBI, so I'm sorta in the dark.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gutterblack said:

His idea has been displaced 

Sank like a stone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was very possibly drug-related. Not 'tons', not even close. Just the provisions for 120 days (approx 2X estimated voyage time) would have filled every locker and under every bunk. Sailboats aren't that big, even 47'ers. 'Tons' of contraband would have filled half the cabin. Naturally the boat floated a few inches low...there was about 150 gal of fuel and 150 gal of water aboard, in addition to provisions and personal gear. I doubt how the boat floats can be determined from an aircraft, unless it's near sinking. And naturally there will be salt (and possibly growth) on the sides...there's probably salt residue on the deck also. Is he going to claim it was a submersible sailboat?  Cocaine and Fenatyl 'ions' sounds like a load of BS. Author of the blog is trying to sound like a know-it-all bs artist. Other than the possibility of it being a drug run, he's full of shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To get this boat down clearly past its painted waterline is about ten or twelve inches of added immersion. I was eyeballing that to require one or two tons maybe more, literally. Then for it to be obvious from the air in a seaway perhaps more than that.

Therefore I pointed out that the author of the silly article was talking about a boat with the cabin filled with kilos of cocaine. Anyway, I think you're saying the same thing.

Their boat was pretty well kitted out. The owner knew cruising boats.

 

image.png.d94e5f7584c8d354a08b6d1cce654473.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites