Snaggletooth

Is Ellon Muske attenssion hoarre?

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Raz'r said:

I bet you had one just like it....

 

I did!  I’ve got a moleskin dedicated to an updated gougeon 32.  Hope I kept it!:unsure:

Streamliners were my thing....:wub:

 

 

 

BACA18C9-40BF-4C33-A20B-7F13DAED9166.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

That's why I have General Altima Arctic, snow and ice tires on their own steel rims, that will go onto the WRX in a couple of weeks. Unless it is black ice, it is nearly impossible to lose traction, even while trying to, or under severe braking...

Excellent choice in tires. I run the same on my Fiesta ST. I’m petty though, so I found a set of Sparco Drifts to mount them on. 
 

In other news, I’m an idiot. I also have a deposit on the hideous truck. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Try DC where it only snows a few inches per year on average and we have some of the worst traffic in the nation. When it snows, the dItches are filled with high end SUVs that could go a lot faster than they could stop. 

I was in DC the day Air Florida crashed in '82 (flew in the day before).  My company had an office one block uphill from the Rosslyn metro station and I was staying at some hotel further up the street.  On my less than 5min walk to the office that morning, I lost count of how many accidents I saw in conditions that wouldn't have caused school closures in MI.  Pretty much on par with drivers in Houston or Dallas when it rains.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I also have a deposit on the hideous truck. 

They've certainly wasted no time marketing the truck to the "adventurous" demographic, huh? Replete with redwoods!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, fragglerock said:

8MygjhO.jpg

I assume the generator is on the other side where we can't see it. Just what we need...more generators in the wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, justsomeguy! said:

They've certainly wasted no time marketing the truck to the "adventurous" demographic, huh? Replete with redwoods!

It won’t be an “adventurous” truck for me. I used to be an avid off roader and my Jeep Wrangler was awesome for the purpose. Now I’m old and boring. I drive my little car as a daily driver and track car, and my truck only to haul shit or tow my boat. I can give up the track days, so the ugly truck fits all my needs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

It won’t be an “adventurous” truck for me.

I suspect that 98% of the adventurous demo never sees off-road usage. But the hype of that plumped-up internal-frame backpack and a campfire has its effects.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

On the issue of SUVs, does this happen anywhere else in the US but MI?  I swear, people with 4wd speed up when the snow hits.  Which is cool, until they learn in the worst possible way that they own the same brakes as the 2wd vehicles. 

Ain't that the truth.

Around here Jeeps are the most common vehicle to see on their roof in the ditch when snow falls.

"But I've got 4 wheel drive!" :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Ain't that the truth.

Around here Jeeps are the most common vehicle to see on their roof in the ditch when snow falls.

"But I've got 4 wheel drive!" :rolleyes:

Jeeps are terrifying on the highway. They stick like Velcro right up until they don’t. Then the short wheelbase rears it’s ugly head. Speaking from experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

That's why I have General Altima Arctic, snow and ice tires on their own steel rims, that will go onto the WRX in a couple of weeks. Unless it is black ice, it is nearly impossible to lose traction, even while trying to, or under severe braking...

Yep,

I have a spare set of "flow cast copy of the OEM forged" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport SP4's. Not a full snow tire or a Blizzik, but much, much better than "no season" tires.  They go on the replace the summer tires once it gets to be in the 40's.  put them on 2 weeks ago and they will stay on until March.  The don;t start getting soft and gooey until temps are above 80 so I can tolerate occasional warm days.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Monkey said:

In other news, I’m an idiot. I also have a deposit on the hideous truck. 

 

 I don't get the "appeal" of Elon's new "truck"???  But good trucks, even old used ones,  are not cheap!!  I paid 7 grand for a 17 year old Nissan Frontier,  3 liter V6, 5 speed manual, with 116k miles, 4x4 and extra cab, and bed liner.  Mike Woof told me it would command several grand more out in Colorado!  I added a double DIN ICE and new speakers, and backup camera, and all I need still, is a Fantech bed cover and a portable tent-garage next to the real garage to park it under....  My mechanic inspected the truck right after I bought and said that there was at least 3 grand worth of new suspension and running gear parts under the body and frame.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

 I don't get the "appeal" of Elon's new "truck"???  But good trucks, even old used ones,  are not cheap!!  I paid 7 grand for a 17 year old Nissan Frontier,  3 liter V6, 5 speed manual, with 116k miles, 4x4 and extra cab, and bed liner.  Mike Woof told me it would command several grand more out in Colorado!  I added a double DIN ICE and new speakers, and backup camera, and all I need still, is a Fantech bed cover and a portable tent-garage next to the real garage to park it under....  My mechanic inspected the truck right after I bought and said that there was at least 3 grand worth of new suspension and running gear parts under the body and frame.....

I don’t disagree. I plan to use it as a boring ass suburban person. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Norse Horse said:

Compare this ugly grocery grabber GM offering, with a meld of Honda pickup, some gross GM styling details and an Audi front.

https://ww.electrek.co/2019/11/21/gm-electric-pickup-truck-sale-2021/

2008-22864-gmc-denali-xt-concept1-e1542030170812.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1280

Whoever is currently in charge of GM styling should never have been hired.

They make the head Of Infiniti's styling department look like Pininfarina.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Yep,

I have a spare set of "flow cast copy of the OEM forged" wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport SP4's. Not a full snow tire or a Blizzik, but much, much better than "no season" tires.  They go on the replace the summer tires once it gets to be in the 40's.  put them on 2 weeks ago and they will stay on until March.  The don;t start getting soft and gooey until temps are above 80 so I can tolerate occasional warm days.  

We have this thing called "The Malahat", which is a narrow road leading north on the island. It's the only road north. By law, we have to have real snow tires to traverse it from October to March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently picked up a set of 20" alloys with Blizzaks on them for my Rover.

I figure I'm good to get to the Okanagan this winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Monkey said:

I don’t disagree. I plan to use it as a boring ass suburban person. 

 

It kind of reminds me of a Hummer, real OVERKILL for urban/suburban use,,,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

 

It kind of reminds me of a Hummer, real OVERKILL for urban/suburban use,,,,

Except electric. I think it’s ugly as fuck.  Period. From a purely economical standpoint, it makes sense for me to own a Fiesta ST and a Ram 1500 right now. If I can use the truck for commuting, I can go back to one vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Amati said:

I did!  I’ve got a moleskin dedicated to an updated gougeon 32.  Hope I kept it!:unsure:

Streamliners were my thing....:wub:

 

 

 

BACA18C9-40BF-4C33-A20B-7F13DAED9166.jpeg

That is beautiful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 11:23 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

I think Musk's point is that these are actually designed from a clean sheet for real work, and the materials mean it will last 2x longer than other work trucks.  At least for folks up here in the salty north, it's persuasive.  

Maybe, but How does it run in 2-feet of wet heavy snow at 20-below?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Pretty much on par with drivers in Houston or Dallas when it rains.

Or Tucson. Some of the funniest driving I've ever seen, watching them drive into a shallow dip in the road then aquaplane to a hard stop.....

I learned to drive on dirt roads (Aussie bogan, ya know) and if you couldn't drive in slippery conditions, you spent a lot of time walking somewhere to get a tow out.

FKT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s what Chevy could do 

 

BE0CC73C-ED9C-4698-9E72-E9D2A6DF8868.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QBF said:

Maybe, but How does it run in 2-feet of wet heavy snow at 20-below?

Snow isn't wet at -20 anything.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

It kind of reminds me of a Hummer, real OVERKILL for urban/suburban use,,,,

Thought the same thing.  Maybe the love child of a one nighter between a Hummer and F-117?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

Maybe the love child of a one nighter between a Hummer and F-117?

Cane you blamme the momes?  Whoe evere realley seese/hearres the F-117 comeng?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Cane you blamme the momes?  Whoe evere realley seese/hearres the F-117 comeng?

Wait wait?  Who’s the mom, the F117?  And she’s not a screamer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Snow isn't wet at -20 anything.  

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Amati said:

Wait wait?  Who’s the mom, the F117?  And she’s not a screamer?

I no, harde to detrimine the whose, the whates, and the whens                         :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike in Seattle said:

ground clearance

With that kind of  torque, simple to bolt on 35~44" tires, 

 

:) or even tracks 

https://www.dirtlegal.com/roxor-parts/roxor-full-tracks-kit?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7ifg8qB5gIVkqDsCh1aywlpEAQYBCABEgI7ivD_BwE

Dirt Legal Mattracks.png

One pair of those is on backwards.<_<  it’s just logic......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Amati said:

I did!  I’ve got a moleskin dedicated to an updated gougeon 32.  Hope I kept it!:unsure:

Streamliners were my thing....:wub:

 

 

 

BACA18C9-40BF-4C33-A20B-7F13DAED9166.jpeg

 

B408899B-DE5E-40FB-8619-DB3359349299.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple other things here:   not a lot of trim, no paint, ding-proof body = keeps cost to build down and more bang for buck to owner.

Oh yeah......146,000 preorders to date.    Banger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blunderfull said:

A couple other things here:   not a lot of trim, no paint, ding-proof body = keeps cost to build down and more bang for buck to owner.

Our we talkling simpelletone hearre?  Mabey the "eazilley influnced"  ?  Juste currinouse.          :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Amati said:

I did!  I’ve got a moleskin dedicated to an updated gougeon 32.  Hope I kept it!:unsure:

Streamliners were my thing....:wub:

 

 

 

BACA18C9-40BF-4C33-A20B-7F13DAED9166.jpeg

i had that as a toy car... 

 

axNMpV6j_700w_0.jpg

 

71916894_189555508873577_347171298989472

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

may want to hold off on that down payment...

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/balls-steel-twitter-calls-bllshit-musks-video-proof-cybertruck-window-stunt-worked

 

May not be as indestructible as they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fragglerock said:

8MygjhO.jpg

dats a tent on the back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Snow isn't wet at -20 anything.  

My mistake. I should have just said snow at -20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Thought the same thing.  Maybe the love child of a one nighter between a Hummer and F-117 F35 JSF!!

 

FIFY, M8!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

78.8 inches wide ,  becomes problematic for the off road guys.

Some of the off road areas are width limited, with steel posts set at the trailhead at 80".

The off road hummer guys are bummed.

 

Quote

,,, clean sheet of paper ,,,

:huh: Uh oh

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Looks like Elon's designer has been hanging out with the Gambler 500 bunch,,

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My sister just put a deposit down on the truck. For her husband.

He's all jiggy now.

Like a kid at Christmas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dorado said:

My sister just put a deposit down on the truck. For her husband.

He's all jiggy now.

Like a kid at Christmas

Cane you talke hime into bringgeng that on "The Raice to Nowhearre" ???                        :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snaggletooth said:

Cane you talke hime into bringgeng that on "The Raice to Nowhearre" ???                        :)

Maybe. They live in Florida. I might have to deliver it from the left coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dorado said:

Maybe. They live in Florida. I might have to deliver it from the left coast.

That cane be a greatte proofeng grounde.....  slitte veare to the lefte...........                :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Snaggletooth said:

That cane be a greatte proofeng grounde.....  slitte veare to the lefte...........                :)

IF they ever actually start delivering the damn things. Not holding my breath for this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dorado said:

IF they ever actually start delivering the damn things. Not holding my breath for this.

Yeahe, I heared it wase a scam to.  I hoppeng notte, the CYBRTRKE woude be greatte in "Actione" moovies!                                     :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, VWAP said:

dats a tent on the back

Note the 1" foam mattress.  I am sure that is super comfy compared to my cushions in the boat..

And about as much headroom as a J-22

Some are calling the design the bastard spawn of the Pontiac Aztec.   Remember that angled POS?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Note the 1" foam mattress.  I am sure that is super comfy compared to my cushions in the boat..

And about as much headroom as a J-22

Some are calling the design the bastard spawn of the Pontiac Aztec.   Remember that angled POS?

Yes, it was the ugliest passenger vehicle ever drawn and then they painted them in vomitous colours.

maxresdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

200,000 preorders at $100 deposit.    Tesla just got an interest free $20,000,000 loan.    The man is brilliant.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorado said:

IF they ever actually start delivering the damn things. Not holding my breath for this.

Considering I also have a deposit floating around out there on an Elio, I’d say my odds improved drastically on the truck!  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, it was the ugliest passenger vehicle ever drawn and then they painted them in vomitous colours.

maxresdefault.jpg

Having Walter White drive one of those - complete with missing hubcap - was a stroke of directorial genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, it was the ugliest passenger vehicle ever drawn and then they painted them in vomitous colours.

maxresdefault.jpg

Back in the late 90s, Jeep of New England had marketing program where if you showed up at the ski area of the week in a Jeep, any Jeep, they would hand you 2 tickets to downhill for the day.   You could also compete in NASTAR racing for free.

At the end of the day, there would be huge party in the main lodge with bands, swag and food.

As the word spread more and more jeeps came.

Toward the end of winter they held the event at Sunapee NH, which is less then 2 hours from Boston and less than 3 hours for most of New England. On a beautiful day, over 4500 jeeps showed up. Looked like the beaches of Normandy only in all kinds of colors.

They ran out of room in the parking lot  and had to quickly make plans to park the overflow by the state park near Lake Sunapee and bus the folks in.

Well Pontiac made the mistake of having one of them Aztecs on display slopeside between 2 lifts just outside the bar at day.

The catcalls, foul jokes and boorish behavior of the Jeep skiers/boarders had the Pontiac marketing folks abandoning their suv by 1 pm...

 

This could happen to the Musktruck and its fanbois.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Back in the late 90s, Jeep of New England had marketing program where if you showed up at the ski area of the week in a Jeep, any Jeep, they would hand you 2 tickets to downhill for the day.   You could also compete in NASTAR racing for free.

At the end of the day, there would be huge party in the main lodge with bands, swag and food.

As the word spread more and more jeeps came.

Toward the end of winter they held the event at Sunapee NH, which is less then 2 hours from Boston and less than 3 hours for most of New England. On a beautiful day, over 4500 jeeps showed up. Looked like the beaches of Normandy only in all kinds of colors.

They ran out of room in the parking lot  and had to quickly make plans to park the overflow by the state park near Lake Sunapee and bus the folks in.

Well Pontiac made the mistake of having one of them Aztecs on display slopeside between 2 lifts just outside the bar at day.

The catcalls, foul jokes and boorish behavior of the Jeep skiers/boarders had the Pontiac marketing folks abandoning their suv by 1 pm...

 

This could happen to the Musktruck and its fanbois.

Curious as you why you’d assume those of us who put deposits down are “fanboys.”  I’ve never owned a Tesla before. I think Elon’s a bit of nut. I even work for an engine building company. 
 

I own a little car to deal with my 90 mile round trip to work, and a truck to tow the boat. I can consolidate to one vehicle with a fraction of the operating costs of either. Simple as that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ishmael said:

Yes, it was the ugliest passenger vehicle ever drawn and then they painted them in vomitous colours.

maxresdefault.jpg

faeabfad1ebbcf82917bcc2dbc4feaeb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Curious as you why you’d assume those of us who put deposits down are “fanboys.”  I’ve never owned a Tesla before. I think Elon’s a bit of nut. I even work for an engine building company. 
 

I own a little car to deal with my 90 mile round trip to work, and a truck to tow the boat. I can consolidate to one vehicle with a fraction of the operating costs of either. Simple as that. 

A pickup is not a sport car.

It is meant to do work.

Sure there are folks who never scratch the paint in the back, but big 3 build them to take a shit ton of abuse.

Where I live there are 3 professions.   Farmers, watermen and retirees.  Only the last one can get away with a pickup with no payload.

So it is a toy for fans of Elon as they are not cheap.

Look at that bed.  Reminds me of the old VW pickup in the 80s or a Subaru brat.  how much gravel or mulch you going to dump in it each load?

You going to trailer your boat with it?  WHat happens when the bottom gets wet at the ramp?  Still remember the rows of teslas burned to the waterline in NJ docks when Sandy struck.

 

If it were a serious pickup it would be more along the lines of the Rivian.

Musk is not serious about becoming a real manufacturer. He builds toys for rick folks and is chewing through investment money fast.  Not Adam Neumann (eg WeWork) fast, but fast.

Rather then go after the pick up market, if he was serious about building that company he would have come out with the equivalent of the old Ford E150 van. Something plumbers and electricians need, and where a 200 mile range is way more then is needed. American made, low maintenance costs, carries decent loads.  It would be perfect. Throw his engineering team at it to make it so superior, nobody tries to compete.

 

He has to find a market that is not already staked out.

He has to get volumes up to where Tesla is profitable before they run out of cash.

He has to stop screwing around with playtoys like flamethrowers and unfinished pickups that do not carry jack.

 

When I see tesla pickups with a load of manure or landscaping gear in the back, I will back down.  But right now, it is all sizzle and no steak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tesla has sold more than 1/2 million vehicles to date. I see dozens of them every day around here.

Do you regard Porsche or Ferrari or Lambo as "real manufacturers"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Tesla has sold more than 1/2 million vehicles to date. I see dozens of them every day around here.

Do you regard Porsche or Ferrari or Lambo as "real manufacturers"?

Well, I have never seen any of them with manure in the back. They are usually driving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

When I see tesla pickups with a load of manure or landscaping gear in the back, I will back down.  But right now, it is all sizzle and no steak.

 

All hat, no cattle....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of that  torque available, 

 

:( , but its just too big for offroad around here. 79" wide 150" wheelbase.

My old mini truck only makes ~110 lb/ft   67" wide 112" wheelbase.

Whenever I "bail"  my wheelbase makes for a lot of back&forth to turn around.

, and any rig wider than mine is going to get a set of Pacific Northwest Racing Stripes,, SS skin or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gravel, manure  ?

Good Heavens man! Can't you just hire the local rabble to deliver that stuff. This is for picking up cases of Rothschild Bordeaux or fresh tuna from the airport. Stuff that won't fit in the Ferrari.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Gravel, manure  ?

Good Heavens man! Can't you just hire the local rabble to deliver that stuff. This is for picking up cases of Rothschild Bordeaux or fresh tuna from the airport. Stuff that won't fit in the Ferrari.

then what's the point of the carrying and towing capacity..   reduce those capacities, put a couple of golf bag / douchecycle racks in the back and let the rich drive ugly trucks..

and looking at the pic above,  good luck getting that into your garage , that looks to be almost 2' longer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 3:37 PM, Raz'r said:

I might drop a deposit on this ugly fucker. The wife would finally be happy I got an e-car.

 

I swear Musk stole all of American 2nd grade boy notebooks - cause all his designs look like they came right out of one.

Flamethrowers, Rockets, tunneling machines, weird pickups, x-wing SUVs - all that shit was likely in my 2nd grade notebook, in the margins, over the top of the ABCs, whatever.

I've been running #s on a used model 3 - there are several for sale locally w/low miles for about $30K - I could pay for the car w/saved fuel and maintenance, *IF* I'm convinced I could get 250K miles out of it, it would work out to be a net positive.   I like the idea of EVs - but, as much wear and tear as I put on vehicles, I've gotta make it a pragmatic decision and not one of "buying what I like". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Foreverslow said:

A pickup is not a sport car.

It is meant to do work.

Sure there are folks who never scratch the paint in the back, but big 3 build them to take a shit ton of abuse.

Where I live there are 3 professions.   Farmers, watermen and retirees.  Only the last one can get away with a pickup with no payload.

So it is a toy for fans of Elon as they are not cheap.

Look at that bed.  Reminds me of the old VW pickup in the 80s or a Subaru brat.  how much gravel or mulch you going to dump in it each load?

You going to trailer your boat with it?  WHat happens when the bottom gets wet at the ramp?  Still remember the rows of teslas burned to the waterline in NJ docks when Sandy struck.

 

If it were a serious pickup it would be more along the lines of the Rivian.

Musk is not serious about becoming a real manufacturer. He builds toys for rick folks and is chewing through investment money fast.  Not Adam Neumann (eg WeWork) fast, but fast.

Rather then go after the pick up market, if he was serious about building that company he would have come out with the equivalent of the old Ford E150 van. Something plumbers and electricians need, and where a 200 mile range is way more then is needed. American made, low maintenance costs, carries decent loads.  It would be perfect. Throw his engineering team at it to make it so superior, nobody tries to compete.

 

He has to find a market that is not already staked out.

He has to get volumes up to where Tesla is profitable before they run out of cash.

He has to stop screwing around with playtoys like flamethrowers and unfinished pickups that do not carry jack.

 

When I see tesla pickups with a load of manure or landscaping gear in the back, I will back down.  But right now, it is all sizzle and no steak.

First off, Tesla is already working on a stripped down cargo van. Second, I’ve never felt the need to haul a truckload of manure in my entire life, so I guess I don’t need to worry about specific manure hauling capabilities. Third, I’m happy to hear that I’m rich now!  :D That’s news to me!

Like it or not, there’s a very large market beyond farmers for pick-up trucks, and many of us use them for hauling more than air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 12:29 PM, Cal20sailor said:

I was in DC the day Air Florida crashed in '82 (flew in the day before).  My company had an office one block uphill from the Rosslyn metro station and I was staying at some hotel further up the street.  On my less than 5min walk to the office that morning, I lost count of how many accidents I saw in conditions that wouldn't have caused school closures in MI.  Pretty much on par with drivers in Houston or Dallas when it rains.

 

DC attracts lots of new drivers, who 6 months ago, hadn't ever been IN a car much less driven one.  At least, it seems that way w/traffic inside the beltway, or south of 7 and east of 15 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

 

and looking at the pic above,  good luck getting that into your garage , that looks to be almost 2' longer..

It certainly isn’t friendly to a typical garage. It’s almost exactly the same size as an F150 Raptor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I've been running #s on a used model 3 - there are several for sale locally w/low miles for about $30K - I could pay for the car w/saved fuel and maintenance, *IF* I'm convinced I could get 250K miles out of it, it would work out to be a net positive.   I like the idea of EVs - but, as much wear and tear as I put on vehicles, I've gotta make it a pragmatic decision and not one of "buying what I like". 

 

I'm surrounded by EV owners. Most of them find a couple things are absolutely amazing, and a couple that suck.

Maintenance = tires. That's it. Even the brakes are long-lasting due to re-gen braking.

Cost to drive is peanuts compared to a gasser. minor and major tunes? none. Off peak cost of electricity is low (depends on your provider of course). Depreciation is less as the resale is so damn high. I bet if you find an equiv year/price gasser, it will have experienced much more depreciation.

Major issue: Range Anxiety. I think some folks are seeing therapists over this. It sure seems real, if kinda dumb.

minor issue: you don't go to gas stations, so many of the cars are dirty. No easy car wash answer.  Super minor, but seeing all these dirty e-rigs is kinda funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Monkey said:

It certainly isn’t friendly to a typical garage. It’s almost exactly the same size as an F150 Raptor. 

Yeah, as reality sets in, that thing won't even fit on my tiny street, let alone the driveway. Garage? hahahahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

I'm surrounded by EV owners. Most of them find a couple things are absolutely amazing, and a couple that suck.

Maintenance = tires. That's it. Even the brakes are long-lasting due to re-gen braking.

Cost to drive is peanuts compared to a gasser. minor and major tunes? none. Off peak cost of electricity is low (depends on your provider of course). Depreciation is less as the resale is so damn high. I bet if you find an equiv year/price gasser, it will have experienced much more depreciation.

Major issue: Range Anxiety. I think some folks are seeing therapists over this. It sure seems real, if kinda dumb.

minor issue: you don't go to gas stations, so many of the cars are dirty. No easy car wash answer.  Super minor, but seeing all these dirty e-rigs is kinda funny.

My biggest worries are range and longevity.   I can deal with the range - this would be strictly a commuter beast, and the commute to my agency HQ is 92 miles each way, but, they have charging stations.   I try to get 300K out of every vehicle I buy, and if an EV would last that long?  The #s would work, and I'd enjoy driving it - full torque from zero RPM is fun! 

My CR-V is practical - but, isn't exactly smile inspiring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

My biggest worries are range and longevity.   I can deal with the range - this would be strictly a commuter beast, and the commute to my agency HQ is 92 miles each way, but, they have charging stations.   I try to get 300K out of every vehicle I buy, and if an EV would last that long?  The #s would work, and I'd enjoy driving it - full torque from zero RPM is fun! 

My CR-V is practical - but, isn't exactly smile inspiring. 

Very few moving parts = longevity.

big question to research is battery pack life.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

then what's the point of the carrying and towing capacity..   reduce those capacities, put a couple of golf bag / douchecycle racks in the back and let the rich drive ugly trucks..

and looking at the pic above,  good luck getting that into your garage , that looks to be almost 2' longer..

 How else will I get all my wife's Gucci luggage down to the Gulfstream hanger?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FFS - don't you have people for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

I've been running #s on a used model 3 - there are several for sale locally w/low miles for about $30K - I could pay for the car w/saved fuel and maintenance, *IF* I'm convinced I could get 250K miles out of it, it would work out to be a net positive.   I like the idea of EVs - but, as much wear and tear as I put on vehicles, I've gotta make it a pragmatic decision and not one of "buying what I like". 

you might find this article useful https://qz.com/1737145/the-economics-of-driving-seven-teslas-for-2-5-million-miles/ it's not great but it does break down actual service issues for a fleet, there's not alot of "unbiased" data beyond ancedotes out there on EV lifetime costs yet, to my eyes. the pro-EV blogs are imo mostly dogshit.

i'm curious to see how the real world range plays out with the newer entrants into the EV market and if they are going to treat things differently.

15 hours ago, Lark said:

200,000 preorders at $100 deposit.    Tesla just got an interest free $20,000,000 loan.    The man is brilliant.   

nonbinding preorders, he got $20 million for nothing and his chicks for free.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mismoyled Jiblet. said:

you might find this article useful https://qz.com/1737145/the-economics-of-driving-seven-teslas-for-2-5-million-miles/ it's not great but it does break down actual service issues for a fleet, there's not alot of "unbiased" data beyond ancedotes out there on EV lifetime costs yet, to my eyes. the pro-EV blogs are imo mostly dogshit.

i'm curious to see how the real world range plays out with the newer entrants into the EV market and if they are going to treat things differently.

nonbinding preorders, he got $20 million for nothing and his chicks for free.

That article is encouraging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Raz'r said:

That article is encouraging.

been trying to find a live tesla owner who doesn't absolutely love their car for a long time.  not easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

been trying to find a live tesla owner who doesn't absolutely love their car for a long time.  not easy.

Do you mean all the  ones who did not like it are dead???

Do I dare ask how they died???  :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

been trying to find a live tesla owner who doesn't absolutely love their car for a long time.  not easy.

I know one. They love their S and 3, but their X was a hot mess. It was a non-stop shit show until Tesla replaced it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ford says the Tesla test was bs and wants to challenge.

Will it be a tug of war, with a F-450? 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f450-xlt/

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

 

 

Or will they go way, way back in the marketing play book.

 

Sure there are little pickups like the passport or ranger.

But many do not consider them a real pickup.

 

Wonder how long before we see one in town with a freshly killed deer on hood.  ;<)

Or stake bed with ladders on top.

Or the bed full of crab traps.

Or jacked up with big & stupid tires and 2 American flags flying off the bed roll bar made out of exhaust pipe.

 

Somehow I think it will have the same demand as that suv they build.

So they got 200K orders.

Ford has built 660,000 f150 so far this year. THIS YEAR.

http://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-motor-company-sales-numbers/ford-sales-numbers/ford-f-series-sales-numbers/

They are serious in this niche.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:

Ford says the Tesla test was bs and wants to challenge.

Will it be a tug of war, with a F-450? 

https://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/models/f450-xlt/