Sign in to follow this  
Snaggletooth

Is Ellon Muske attenssion hoarre?

Anybody offering bets on which will happen first: full production of the Tesla 3, or first man on the moon?

As an aside: Snaggs, The Snaggle T Man, buddy, pal, Snagmeister my dear friend, why don't you drop the Snagspeak? It hurts me eyes, it wasn't that funny however many years back you started it, and I'm probably missing out on some intelligent/funny comments because I can't be bothered to wade through your language mutilation.

Love yr bopping cat avatar, though after a while it also hurts my eyes. I'm old...….

I fondly picture you as being a cynical but spelling-challenged beret-and-goatee-wearing surrealist anarchist artist. But, because I can't be fucked to actually try to read what you post, you could also be a totally burned out LSD casualty with a huge Grateful Dead collection, trying to re-construct/de-construct a perfectly adequate, universally accepted grammar/spelling convention for no good reason.

All that said, you stand out from the crowd as a totally unintelligible but loveable regular. Have a great day mate.

(I have nightmares about Elon Musk and Kim Jong Un becoming allies in a global domination-from-space effort, but I eventually get to sleep after dreaming that James Bond or Jack Reacher fuck them right up.)

• Like 1

Is he today's Howard Hughes?  

If he announced he was going to mine the seafloor for manganese, would you believe he's crazy enough to attempt it?

2 hours ago, Max Rockatansky said:

Is he? 

“Born in Pretoria, South Africa, Musk taught himself computer programming at the age of 12. He moved to Canada when he was 17 to attend Queen's University. He transferred to the University of Pennsylvania two years later,”

ok, 2nd or 3rd generation ...  anything east of bermuda  is european..

Visionaries - especially successful ones - are usually somewhat............egotistical people who enjoy the spotlight. I don't mind. When you brag about your shit...and you're right...well....okay.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Visionaries - especially successful ones - are usually somewhat............egotistical people who enjoy the spotlight. I don't mind. When you brag about your shit...and you're right...well....okay.

it takes the "crazy" people to move society forward...   if we left it up to the old farts in congress, we'd still have slaves

• Like 1

Tesla is going to be toast within a year.

Wall Street is smelling blood in the water.

Report out Thursday shows basically no additional model 3 deposits coming in since last November should he ever get production running smoothly.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-14/analyst-calculates-tesla-model-3-cancellation-rate-disastrous-66

The tax break disappears at the end of the year.

He admits to make a profit, they need to sell fully optioned model 3s and not base models.  Those are not cheap.

The competitors are about to unleash their own models they have not had to deal with.

And there are new battery technologies coming out that obsolete their designs.

One analyst forecasts the stock will go from 358 to 93-99.

Bottom line: Most shorted stock in the market.

and every moment he has to deal with those sharks, he is not working on ramping up production.

Sure he is a smart shit, but as Thomas Edison said Genius Is One Percent Inspiration, Ninety-Nine Percent Perspiration..

Just a matter of time before he is tossed from his own company as the board tries to salvage the company.

Much as we all love a feel good story, there is a saying in the tech  "the missionaries always get slaughtered" (eg the first ones in usually get crushed by something they had not expected).

Not so much as an attention whore as a guy who is going to be doing outsized things and damn sure wants the world to know about it.

The egomaniac comments are spot on, but equally applicable to the Gates, Jobs, Branson, and Ellisions of the world.  

On 6/15/2018 at 4:46 AM, Happy said:

Anybody offering bets on which will happen first: full production of the Tesla 3, or first man on the moon?

i think first man on the moon won

3 minutes ago, burndoc said:

i think first man on the moon won

Youre assumptions our notted, I thick you miste Happey's sarcasstick, neggatieve bende.  I mabey misstacken an fess up frontte.               :)

24 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Youre assumptions our notted, I thick you miste Happey's sarcasstick, neggatieve bende.  I mabey misstacken an fess up frontte.               :)

Maybe he meant Mars?

Happy?  Help?

Marsss offcourse. Blammme the Jammesonss. Seee how fuckin' irrtatin thiss shittt iss?

Drift alert.....!

Have you tried....?shopping.thumb.jpeg.5afe65c26ce34c85bde940434266416b.jpeg

Very tasty....

Now back to the thread.

Edited by madohe
Clarity and, spelling, which actually clarified it...

1 minute ago, madohe said:

Drift alert.....!

Have you triedshopping.thumb.jpeg.5afe65c26ce34c85bde940434266416b.jpeg

Very tasty....

Now back to the thread.

I thick BP maye neede to macke the definnitieve calle.......    :)

Bob?

My favourite drop for the last 35+ years. If I ever get to Ireland, I'm going to walk up to the front desk at Jameson's HQ and demand to see which part of the building I paid for.

18 minutes ago, Happy said:

My favourite drop for the last 35+ years. If I ever get to Ireland, I'm going to walk up to the front desk at Jameson's HQ and demand to see which part of the building I paid for.

Got an appreciation for 's, ginger ale and lime. Always been a Jack Daniels/scotch guy. It is the only whisky my wife will drink now. It is made in Cork County now but the old distillery tour is a lot of fun.

Cheers, will toast you tomorrow as i am in house call tonight 

oops don"t know how Jameson's got erased from from Jamesson's, ginger ale and lime

40 minutes ago, burndoc said:

Got an appreciation for 's, ginger ale and lime. Always been a Jack Daniels/scotch guy. It is the only whisky my wife will drink now. It is made in Cork County now but the old distillery tour is a lot of fun.

Cheers, will toast you tomorrow as i am in house call tonight 

Funny scotch would suddenly come up. I just poured myself a couple fingers and settled into my big chair!!

IMG_0255.jpg

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

^^  yes sir. It’s always been in my top 3. 

thing is , they keep changing what they bottle..    one year it's cask, next is a blend..   fuck just give me 12, 15, 18, & 30.. ...  I remember getting  12 yr Mac's for around $35..       

Musk is one of the greatest human beings living on the surface of the planet. I would love to share a lime smoothie with him someday.

History will record his contribution to our world more favorably than any of the robber-barons who preceded him. Musk gives a shit, he's driven by something bigger than money or power.

If I had just 5% of his drive, his luck, his charisma or his abilities, then I could focus on physics and inventing and be great too, instead of just another nobody.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

thing is , they keep changing what they bottle..    one year it's cask, next is a blend..   fuck just give me 12, 15, 18, & 30.. ...  I remember getting  12 yr Mac's for around $35..       

I agree with you. They stopped bottling the cask strength which I enjoyed. The bottle on the right is a rare cask they call it. It’s pretty similar but they just about doubled the price point. Fortunately I only drink a few fingers at a time.

On 6/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, the_abandoned_brane said:

He's usually out searching for twinks. 

Welcome to my world.....

I swear you’ve got this web forum confused with somewhere else you post sometimes    :wacko::blink:

1 hour ago, mad said:

I swear you’ve got this web forum confused with somewhere else you post sometimes    :wacko::blink:

That mabey explanies some thignes.                            :)

8 hours ago, mad said:

This is pretty much my social media outlet. I'm delving deep into this lifestyle. That joke sounded funny in my head. Didn't work in the real world. 

On 6/16/2018 at 2:54 AM, the_abandoned_brane said:

He's usually out searching for twinks. 

Welcome to my world.....

Hmm. Did *Franklin tower’s brother get a hold of your computer? 

* i think that was the guy. 

• Like 1

On 6/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, madohe said:

Drift alert.....!

Have you tried....?shopping.thumb.jpeg.5afe65c26ce34c85bde940434266416b.jpeg

Very tasty....

Now back to the thread.

The stout version is outstanding 

23 hours ago, Point Break said:

Funny scotch would suddenly come up. I just poured myself a couple fingers and settled into my big chair!!

IMG_0255.jpg

I broke into your house. It's all gone now.

Musk tries. I'll give him credit for that.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:29 AM, chum said:

Bad move by Tesla to sue Martin Tripp.

Obviously Elon is trying to find a fall guy for missing their 5000 cars a week promise at the end of the month.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-20/tesla-sues-former-disgruntled-employee-sabotage-and-espionage

Cannot wait to see who is Tripp's lawyer and how quickly they start discovery of who know about his misdeeds and when. Did Elon know about it before his set of promises were made.

Would not put it by a couple Wall Street shorters to fund a good ball busting barrister to help take Tesla management's attention off their REAL problem, that of production.

There are reasons big companies quietly terminate employees.

Telsa is likely to PAY Tripp and his lawyer a lot of money to learn this lesson...

It's great that he parlayed a whole wad of fun money from his previous venture (s) and gave the automobile industry the kick in the ass that it deserved when the only electric or hybrid vehicle available  was a Prius.

Unfortunately, that was then and this is now. 

Two points(and a brief post script).

1 Other competitors coming on line with way more efficiencies, economies of scale, better quality control, R and D capabilities etc. See the latest electric Jag SUV offering at 80K for example. There are many more that will quickly dwarf the bulbous 130K soon to be dated offering. There ability to bring on a new line while struggling to get out the 35K will be the tale of the tape.

2 His decision to forgo a dealership network in lieu of signing up purchases at shopping malls with one display vehicle. This one never rang true with me. The first time I saw a Tesla was in the back bay of another luxury automobile dealership. "What the fuck is that?...was my first question. My second question is why do all his competitors get to fix his cars...where the margins are WAY fatter than in the initial vehicle sale. 

Hey, I love the fact that he was a front runner, but to me, these are fast becoming just another luxury electric offering in a soon to be very crowded and very competitive market. 

In the big picture, minus the coke in the surfboards, it's kind of another John Delorean taking on the whole luxury industry all over again.

Don't really care whether I'm right or wrong with the fate of the company, because I think Musk moved the needle with electrics anyway.

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 2:35 AM, Foreverslow said:

Tesla is going to be toast within a year.

Wall Street is smelling blood in the water.

Report out Thursday shows basically no additional model 3 deposits coming in since last November should he ever get production running smoothly.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-14/analyst-calculates-tesla-model-3-cancellation-rate-disastrous-66

The tax break disappears at the end of the year.

He admits to make a profit, they need to sell fully optioned model 3s and not base models.  Those are not cheap.

The competitors are about to unleash their own models they have not had to deal with.

And there are new battery technologies coming out that obsolete their designs.

One analyst forecasts the stock will go from 358 to 93-99.

Bottom line: Most shorted stock in the market.

and every moment he has to deal with those sharks, he is not working on ramping up production.

Sure he is a smart shit, but as Thomas Edison said Genius Is One Percent Inspiration, Ninety-Nine Percent Perspiration..

Just a matter of time before he is tossed from his own company as the board tries to salvage the company.

Much as we all love a feel good story, there is a saying in the tech  "the missionaries always get slaughtered" (eg the first ones in usually get crushed by something they had not expected).

Or, the second mouse gets the cheese 

Kinda reminds me of that other guy who was a spectacular genius and game-changer, rich as fuck, made headlines, dated movie stars.

He ended up locked in a hotel room alone, with long hair and fingernails and utterly mad.

1 hour ago, Happy said:

Kinda reminds me of that other guy who was a spectacular genius and game-changer, rich as fuck, made headlines, dated movie stars.

He ended up locked in a hotel room alone, with long hair and fingernails and utterly mad.

No. 6 ???

• Like 1

Just now, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

taken out

prghwi9etvjfa51eb8vg.jpg

Mabey downe, butte notte oute.                                  :)

Elon...hmmm.

I admire humility and decency in a person, and I struggle with not pigeon-holing extroverts and arrogance as negative traits.   

But often decency and humility and self sacrifice comes with a "I'm not good enough" or maybe its more "we're all equal" mentality. Hell, I'm doing ok and my biggest issue is believing I'm good enough. We're pack animals after all.

We need the Elon Musks in the world. To challenge, to break away from the warm torpor of a comfortable life and to believe in the impossible.

I believe the trick is for us not to view the Elon Musk's of the world as negatives, accept them for who they are, cheer for them when they succeed, and have empathy for when they fall. 

And Happy, Snaggs is a joy to decipher. With some wee mushrooms and lots of alcohol his words flow like a river in a spring flood. 

3 hours ago, Happy said:

Howard Hughes.

Not even close

12 hours ago, VWAP said:

Elon Musk says SpaceX is building a ‘kid-sized submarine’ to rescue trapped soccer team

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/7/17544452/elon-musk-spacex-thailand-cave-soccer-team-kid-sized-submarine-rescue

so kids that can barely swim are instead going to pilot magical kid sized submarines some 3km from where they are to the entrance. up and down inclines and through choke points too narrow for a diver to wear a scuba tank. 

right. that'll happen. 

would be more believable to suggest he was going to invent a teleporter and 'beam me up Scotty' the kids out of there. 

2 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

so kids that can barely swim are instead going to pilot magical kid sized submarines some 3km from where they are to the entrance. up and down inclines and through choke points too narrow for a diver to wear a scuba tank. 

right. that'll happen. 

would be more believable to suggest he was going to invent a teleporter and 'beam me up Scotty' the kids out of there. 

ok so submarines were perhaps a misleading thing to call them, but perhaps ill have to eat my words regardless. 

more like escape pods. 

think tube shaped kid sized airtight coffin that you and pull/carry with divers. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/elon-musk-designs-escape-pod-for-soccer-team-trapped-in-thai-cave/news-story/e96efd03571dd69ed0b5c6875ac1c022

4 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

ok so submarines were perhaps a misleading thing to call them, but perhaps ill have to eat my words regardless. 

more like escape pods. 

think tube shaped kid sized airtight coffin that you and pull/carry with divers. 

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/inventions/elon-musk-designs-escape-pod-for-soccer-team-trapped-in-thai-cave/news-story/e96efd03571dd69ed0b5c6875ac1c022

The kids squeeze into the cylinder for a 4-6 hour trip.....no thanks I'll take the face mask/SCUBA option....what a bonehead offering

On 6/20/2018 at 9:37 PM, fufkin said:

It's great that he parlayed a whole wad of fun money from his previous venture (s) and gave the automobile industry the kick in the ass that it deserved when the only electric or hybrid vehicle available  was a Prius.

Unfortunately, that was then and this is now. 

Two points(and a brief post script).

1 Other competitors coming on line with way more efficiencies, economies of scale, better quality control, R and D capabilities etc. See the latest electric Jag SUV offering at 80K for example. There are many more that will quickly dwarf the bulbous 130K soon to be dated offering. There ability to bring on a new line while struggling to get out the 35K will be the tale of the tape.

2 His decision to forgo a dealership network in lieu of signing up purchases at shopping malls with one display vehicle. This one never rang true with me. The first time I saw a Tesla was in the back bay of another luxury automobile dealership. "What the fuck is that?...was my first question. My second question is why do all his competitors get to fix his cars...where the margins are WAY fatter than in the initial vehicle sale. 

Hey, I love the fact that he was a front runner, but to me, these are fast becoming just another luxury electric offering in a soon to be very crowded and very competitive market. 

In the big picture, minus the coke in the surfboards, it's kind of another John Delorean taking on the whole luxury industry all over again.

Don't really care whether I'm right or wrong with the fate of the company, because I think Musk moved the needle with electrics anyway.

This is right it seems. He did these unconventional things because it was the only way to do it as an undercapitalized player in a major industry.

And being that frontrunner won't help him much ultimately for the reasons you write.

But when he open-sourced his advanced battery IP, he led the industry down his path, and he capitalized heavily on just making batteries, I believe in one size only, that can be arrayed together as needed. My take is that the cars, home power banks and grid storage are just demonstration containers for the battery conglomerate that he's building.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:46 AM, Happy said:

As an aside: Snaggs, The Snaggle T Man, buddy, pal, Snagmeister my dear friend, why don't you drop the Snagspeak? It hurts me eyes, it wasn't that funny however many years back you started it, and I'm probably missing out on some intelligent/funny comments because I can't be bothered to wade through your language mutilation.

Love yr bopping cat avatar, though after a while it also hurts my eyes. I'm old...….

I fondly picture you as being a cynical but spelling-challenged beret-and-goatee-wearing surrealist anarchist artist. But, because I can't be fucked to actually try to read what you post, you could also be a totally burned out LSD casualty with a huge Grateful Dead collection, trying to re-construct/de-construct a perfectly adequate, universally accepted grammar/spelling convention for no good reason.

All that said, you stand out from the crowd as a totally unintelligible but loveable regular. Have a great day mate.

(I have nightmares about Elon Musk and Kim Jong Un becoming allies in a global domination-from-space effort, but I eventually get to sleep after dreaming that James Bond or Jack Reacher fuck them right up.)

I watched the moon landing in 1969. I know which came first. Did you mean Mars?

he is an attention whore , otherwise he would have never announced he was "building a submarine" ,  non attention whores would have contacted those in charge and asked "what can I do to help" 

7 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

he is an attention whore , otherwise he would have never announced he was "building a submarine" ,  non attention whores would have contacted those in charge and asked "what can I do to help" ....actually...those were his exact words in his first response...the silly solution of ...featured in the story should have never been submitted...it is so full of practical flaws....loved the channel locks backing out the fasteners from the end cap....SMH...looked like a group of summer interns given this task

2 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

.actually...those were his exact words in his first response...the silly solution of ...featured in the story should have never been submitted...it is so full of practical flaws....loved the channel locks backing out the fasteners from the end cap....SMH...looked like a group of summer interns given this task

think of all the people in his company who had to work 24/7 to come up with his sub..

re: the sub...........certainly its goofy.....or it seems that way, but its a well meaning effort coming from a good place. How many of us spent money to try to develop a solution to this problem instead of just read about it and offer our expert opinions on the interwebs?

It is interesting that if you spend any time reading about various "visionaries" throughout history....and I mean all disciplines not just science and technology.....in addition to revolutionary contributions almost all of them have some remarkably goofy offerings as well. Its almost as if they cannot distinguish between practical ideas and those destined to failure. 

4 hours ago, mikewof said:

This is right it seems. He did these unconventional things because it was the only way to do it as an undercapitalized player in a major industry.

And being that frontrunner won't help him much ultimately for the reasons you write.

But when he open-sourced his advanced battery IP, he led the industry down his path, and he capitalized heavily on just making batteries, I believe in one size only, that can be arrayed together as needed. My take is that the cars, home power banks and grid storage are just demonstration containers for the battery conglomerate that he's building.

gee wizz  you might look into  Aluminun-ion battery technology  before you tout his "conglomerate" 

re: the sub...........certainly its goofy.....or it seems that way, but its a well meaning effort coming from a good place. How many of us spent money to try to develop a solution to this problem instead of just read about it and offer our expert opinions on the interwebs?

It is interesting that if you spend any time reading about various "visionaries" throughout history....and I mean all disciplines not just science and technology.....in addition to revolutionary contributions almost all of them have some remarkably goofy offerings as well. Its almost as if they cannot distinguish between practical ideas and those destined to failure. 

All us meer mortals can do is donate money if asked, otherwise we would just get in the way. 

how many of us are billionaires?

25 minutes ago, VWAP said:

gee wizz  you might look into  Aluminun-ion battery technology  before you tout his "conglomerate" 

I'm with you on this, I don't particularly like his batteries, or even batteries. I think that capacitors have a better future.

But he found a way to make reliable, power-dense batteries, and he found a way to make them cheap with existing constraints on rare earth elements.

There is undoubtedly better technology, but can you have twenty palettes of that better technology on your loading dock by this Friday?

28 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

how many of us are billionaires?

How much did you contribute?

I've never understood how folks can suggest because someone has lots of money that their contributions toward some good thing are....meaningless..........or not to be appreciated. 

• Like 1

How much did you contribute?

I've never understood how folks can suggest because someone has lots of money that their contributions toward some good thing are....meaningless..........or not to be appreciated. 

didn't  contribute anything..the thai's have it well in hand..       and I never said his contributions were meaningless,  i am just postulating on what type of whore he is..

the people who work for him are imaginative..

482574.jpg

Tesla...all I know is one morning I awoke from a balcony in the background and looked down upon a the Tesla car hauler, 11-12 years ago La Jolla Cove...I was so excited I didn't even need my coffee....funny thing was every hour or so after giving rides to the first depositors it was driven back into the car hauler and re powered via a gas Honda generator :D...

Tesla la jolla.jpg

I've never understood how folks can suggest because someone has lots of money that their contributions toward some good thing are....meaningless......

just to follow up on this thought, not about Musk though ,  if a billionaire gives $10,000 to a cause, it is meaningless because there is no sacrafice , because that's like a penny in their pocket..  if I give $10,000 to someone, I'll be wondering if I'll be able to pay my property taxes...

I think I've sussed out the reason for Elon's drive to achieve great things: He grew up in Pretoria, South Africa. At school, he suffered for being "a smart Jewboy."

I spent a weekend in Pretoria when I was young. A shithole full of dumb neo-Nazi racist fuckwits.

Now I haven't invented world-changing things or made billions, but I can understand how it would help to have the certainty that I'll never go back to that suckhole of a place. Fuck 'em.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

just to follow up on this thought, not about Musk though ,  if a billionaire gives $10,000 to a cause, it is meaningless because there is no sacrafice , because that's like a penny in their pocket..  if I give $10,000 to someone, I'll be wondering if I'll be able to pay my property taxes...

But it’s not meaningless to whatever charity the billionaire donates to. It will do good things for people. For me anyway, it does not have to be “painful” to be meritorious. When I gave $500 to a charity effort to help a family whose husband is fighting cancer, it was likely economically easier for me than somebody else who gave $50. Does that make my donation meaningless in the context of helping or should it be less satisfying to me or less helpful to the person I donated to?

I get your point that if the playing field required proportionality to be appreciated or meaningful then a billionaire’s donation would be somehow valued less. But I look at the good it will do, and the willingness to help as the importent benchmarks. After all....he didn’t need to do anything.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Happy said:

I think I've sussed out the reason for Elon's drive to achieve great things: He grew up in Pretoria, South Africa. At school, he suffered for being "a smart Jewboy."

I spent a weekend in Pretoria when I was young. A shithole full of dumb neo-Nazi racist fuckwits.

Now I haven't invented world-changing things or made billions, but I can understand how it would help to have the certainty that I'll never go back to that suckhole of a place. Fuck 'em.

As cool as the name Tesla is....he really has not accomplished anything....compared to those he is compared to....Ford...Bell...Edison...on and on....can not present and proclaim victory and then pursue ...one's goal~~~~ unless this country catches up on building nuke reactors, in pace with everyone since we stopped, and then plug cars into the the most efficient energy production system in our lifetimes....flip the script....if no one had heard of nuclear energy and the Greenweenies were enlightened to emptying the landscape of solar fields and wind farms....

4 hours ago, Point Break said:

There was actually some merit to the “sub.”  Those kids knew nothing about diving, let alone cave diving. At the very least, it would’ve kept the little dudes contained. The risk of one of them panicking and flailing about, thus causing a silt-out and blinding both the kid and the rescue diver was very real. Frankly, I’m shocked they got everyone out!  

12 minutes ago, Monkey said:

There was actually some merit to the “sub.”  Those kids knew nothing about diving, let alone cave diving. At the very least, it would’ve kept the little dudes contained. The risk of one of them panicking and flailing about, thus causing a silt-out and blinding both the kid and the rescue diver was very real. Frankly, I’m shocked they got everyone out!  

Unbelievable effort. The sub is not goofy until you look at the environment for the rescue. You see places where the divers had to take off their tanks and shove them through narrow openings ahead of them in order to get through the passage. Now they have been working to improve that with all the jackhammering the ceilings and walls to improve the passage so perhaps it would have made the sub more feasible. It most certainly was not feasible before they started the work to improve the access route. The news coverage seems to indicate that the passage is also a mix of shallow walking with multiple submerged sections. We really don't don't know what the "new conditions" are over the entire 3 miles. The fact it takes 5-6 hours one way would seem to indicate its not a simple 3 mile swim.

I am just amazed at the perseverance and the conditions they worked under. The Thai military and in particular their special forces have a bit of a reputation for being pretty tough but....just wow. Much respect.

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Unbelievable effort. The sub is not goofy until you look at the environment for the rescue. You see places where the divers had to take off their tanks and shove them through narrow openings ahead of them in order to get through the passage. Now they have been working to improve that with all the jackhammering the ceilings and walls to improve the passage so perhaps it would have made the sub more feasible. It most certainly was not feasible before they started the work to improve the access route. The news coverage seems to indicate that the passage is also a mix of shallow walking with multiple submerged sections. We really don't don't know what the "new conditions" are over the entire 3 miles. The fact it takes 5-6 hours one way would seem to indicate its not a simple 3 mile swim.

I am just amazed at the perseverance and the conditions they worked under. The Thai military and in particular their special forces have a bit of a reputation for being pretty tough but....just wow. Much respect.

Hopefully a "real" documentary film will be presented....real not melodramatic...only then will the masses understand how to think and behave under extreme circumstances they never imagined or were ever prepared for...it is the state of mind.....blah blah...back up up bit....I can not give nor can I comprehend the "state of mind"....of the first divers....those that actually went into the unknown....looking ...looking...and finally found !~~~~~~~~that is the real story...well the beginning and FULL credit and understanding needs to be somehow told   

22 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Hopefully a "real" documentary film will be presented....real not melodramatic...only then will the masses understand how to think and behave under extreme circumstances they never imagined or were ever prepared for...it is the state of mind.....blah blah...back up up bit....I can not give nor can I comprehend the "state of mind"....of the first divers....those that actually went into the unknown....looking ...looking...and finally found !~~~~~~~~that is the real story...well the beginning and FULL credit and understanding needs to be somehow told   

I think it was the Brits that wound up in the correct passage and were the first to contact but I'm not exactly sure. And...yes....I'm sure there will be a number of stories developed.....like you, I'll skip any "dramatized" versions.........

28 minutes ago, Point Break said:

It’s not even close to a simple three mile swim. I’m cave diving certified, although not very experienced. I also got into mixed gas deep diving. I’d assume both were involved. The guys that combine the two are on the hairy edge of disaster at all times. Making the return dive with a child in tow is nothing short of superhero status!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Monkey said:

It’s not even close to a simple three mile swim. I’m cave diving certified, although not very experienced. I also got into mixed gas deep diving. I’d assume both were involved. The guys that combine the two are on the hairy edge of disaster at all times. Making the return dive with a child in tow is nothing short of superhero status!  

Completely agree.

Cave certified...........my one guided experience was enough! I am far from claustrophobic....not even a little bit....and being in dark confined environments is second nature. But still.............I found once was enough. :wacko:

11 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

The kids squeeze into the cylinder for a 4-6 hour trip.....no thanks I'll take the face mask/SCUBA option....what a bonehead offering

oh i still think it's solution in search of a problem - if you're going to have 2 escorts dragging a kid filled tube, why not just skip the tube and drag the kid?  you know, like they're currently doing to apparent success. 

cobbler, stick to thy last. 

I really don't get the hatred for Musk.  Here we have a furniture dealer who is incredibly popular, does a lot of charity work, donating etc. He also gets tremendous press which is free advertisement - people love him.  Many years ago when he was not so wealthy he owned a building with a flea market - which had a vendor with a pet lion, it mauled a kid and part of the lawsuit settlement was so may hours of community service. Was a bonanza for PR. Happy to see the charitable work but realistic enough to know he makes sure he gets plenty of pr for everything he does.

Musk?  Other than cars (which already have very long waiting lists) exactly what does he have to gain? Not like anyone is going to run out and by a BFR or the tiny sub.  Will some of his ideas fail? Of course but some are succeeding and I am grateful that someone is taking to risks to innovate.  Doubt I could ever justify a Tesla to drive but the experience is awesome.  Rock on dude.

14 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

As cool as the name Tesla is....he really has not accomplished anything....compared to those he is compared to....Ford...Bell...Edison...on and on....can not present and proclaim victory and then pursue ...one's goal~~~~ unless this country catches up on building nuke reactors, in pace with everyone since we stopped, and then plug cars into the the most efficient energy production system in our lifetimes....flip the script....if no one had heard of nuclear energy and the Greenweenies were enlightened to emptying the landscape of solar fields and wind farms....

Nuclear reactors are not at all efficient in the full-cycle. They're only efficient when the power is used as a byproduct of enriching nuclear material. When you actually take into account the energy needed to mine the fuel, separate it, purify it, run it through the heat cycle, then store, safeguard and ultimately process or dispose of the dangerous byproducts, you're looking at the least efficient energy resource in history, on the order of burning Federal Reserve notes for heat.

And worse, it's not a great grid resource. It's good for baseload but mostly because it's there, and we still have our Cold War investment in nuclear power from when we needed lots of enriched fuel to out-nuke the Soviets. But now, they have to be set at a specific output, and then that output is essentially stuck that was for 24 hours ... they can't be dialed back when we don't need the power at 2 am, and they can't be throttled forward when we need extra power at a 2 pm. So at 2 am, their power is often worth so little that the operators have to pay the grid operators a "negative index" to remove the power from their feedlines, and at 2 pm, most of power is provided by things like wind, solar, natural gas, and hydro pumped power.

Musk has been at least as inventive as Henry Ford, who didn't actually invent a whole lot, not the car, or the assembly line, but he was good at standardization and keeping things cheap. Bell didn't apparently invent much more than an ability to strongarm investors and the Patent Office. Edison was good inventor, at least, he had the classic inventor's unstoppable desire to solve problems. He hired a lot of inventors, and got credit for their work, he also strongarmed some better inventions into oblivion, but he was at least a real inventor. Musk isn't an inventor as much as an industrialist. He manages to keep things simple avoid reinventing the wheel.

Electric cars do offer a big efficiency bump, even when they're connected to dirty power sources, because the Carnot Efficiency and pollution control of grid-scale power from those heat engines is typically much, much better than the efficiency from tiny automobile engines, and EVs can exploit things like grid storage, peak-shaving and nighttime charging.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Point Break said:

But it’s not meaningless to whatever charity the billionaire donates to. It will do good things for people. For me anyway, it does not have to be “painful” to be meritorious. When I gave $500 to a charity effort to help a family whose husband is fighting cancer, it was likely economically easier for me than somebody else who gave $50. Does that make my donation meaningless in the context of helping or should it be less satisfying to me or less helpful to the person I donated to?

I get your point that if the playing field required proportionality to be appreciated or meaningful then a billionaire’s donation would be somehow valued less. But I look at the good it will do, and the willingness to help as the importent benchmarks. After all....he didn’t need to do anything.

yes you are correct, on the receiving end, it's not meaningless..   I know,  I support my wife's lost-profit causes..