Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

THE COURSE 

Course 1

Pennant 1, Start - Alvsborg Gate - Gaveskar gate (Leaving Mark) 
- Vassakaren to starboard – Botto to Port – Buskar Gate – Brede Baden to starboard – 
Trubaduren to Starboard – South Norway Virtual Mark to Port – Silderon East to Starboard - 
Aarhus Outer Laid Mark to Port – Silderon East to Port – NAM 22 to Starboard - Finish 

Course 2

Pennant 2, Start - Alvsborg Gate - Gaveskar gate (Leaving Mark) 
- Vassakaren to starboard – Botto to Port – Buskar Gate – Brede Baden to starboard – 
Trubaduren to Starboard – South Norway Virtual Mark to Port – Silderon East to Starboard - 
Aarhus Inner Laid Mark to Port – Silderon East to Port – NAM 22 to Starboard - Finish 

So first from Trubaduren up north, then south again to Aarhus. A round around a can, back north to the Kattegat. After that full throttle to the city The Hague with the port called Scheveningen. If you can pronounce that name like a true Dutchie you get a beer from me there ;).

This is going to be a navigators feast picking your way across the North Sea full with oil and gas rigs, wind farms, and traffic that is one of the busiest in the world. Add a couple of TSS off the coast of The Netherlands which you must cross at an almost 90 degree angle and you get the picture.

The difference between course 1 and 2 is marginal, just where the can is at Aarhus: in port or outside the port.

Gothenburg to The Hague .png

South Norway virtual mark.png

Aarhus zoom.jpg

TSS Off Vlieland.jpg

• Like 1

you missed the boat... this is the 2nd G2H thread opened...

Details of the finish. The waypoint NAM 22 (keep to starboard) forces the boats to approach the finish from the north.

Finish.jpg

Finish zoom.jpg

2 minutes ago, hoppy said:

Pick a winner :D

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, hoppy said:

No...starve that newbies thread. I'm with Herm....and fixed.

• Like 4

We will just keep popping this thread up to the top and the other can sink.

The OP @ct800 from the other thread put some fine work in so here it is:

Could I ever open such a crucial topic? 

The finale

This is the last, and the shortest leg of the race at just 700 miles. It will start from Gothenburg on Sweden’s west coast on 21 June and race south through the North Sea to The Hague. A mark has also been added off the Danish city of Aarhus, giving sailing fans an opportunity to see the boats in action, and up close and personal, as they complete the final sprint.

What will make the difference?

Weather: It’s Northern Europe and it’s the summer, so this is less about climate and all about weather. The fleet could get anything from a slow crawl south in light winds, to an upwind slog in 35 knots. 

Land effects: Once again, the racing will take place close to the shore, and the daily cycle of heating and cooling of the land and its attendant sea breezes and night breezes will be important. As will the impact of headlands and valleys, as they distort the clean wind flow. And of course, no one wants to hit the bottom.

The Tides: The tide flows strongly up the English Channel, flowing in from the west to the east for six hours, then back out again from east to west. While the tide flows into the North Sea from the north – around the top of Scotland – and so it ebbs from the south to the north. The two inbound flooding tides meet in the North Sea, and that will create some complexity that will be important on this leg, as they will have to sail through it. A good tidal chart should reveal all however...

Sea state: The North Sea is notoriously shallow, and that means it cuts up real ugly when it’s windy. If it blows hard then this leg could be as uncomfortable as any of those out in open ocean.

The 'fly-by': A mark has been added off the Danish city of Aarhus where the fleet will complete a 'fly-by' offering a one-off view of the race for the Danish public. Denmark has a long and rich history with the Volvo Ocean Race, twenty-five Danish sailors have competed in the race to date and two teams have raced under the Danish flag – SAS Baia Viking in 1985-86 and Team Vestas Wind in 2014-15.

And then it’s all over bar the shouting?

The Dutch are legendary offshore sailors, right back to Conny van Rietschoten – the original ‘Dutch Flyer’ and the only skipper to win back-to-back Volvo Ocean Race/Whitbread trophies. So you can expect an incredible welcome for the fleet in The Hague, especially if home sailors are winning...

Who would be cool to see as the special guest that SHALL be on this Leg? Teams have already submitted their nominations, according to the NOR

11.20  A VIP or media guest, approved by the OA, shall be carried by all Teams on the final leg of the race. The PIC (sea) shall submit a request to the RC in writing at least one month before the start of the final leg giving the guest’s name. The OA will not normally approve a current or past professional sailor as a guest for this activity. The guest will be required to have completed sea survival training approved by the OA.

Speculation start: Sponsor or sailor possibilities:

MAPF: Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y de Grecia, King of Spain (or one of his two sisters?) or Knut Frostad.

TBRU: Dutch inventor and entrepreneur Boyan Slat or Bouwe's daughter.

DFRT: Shanghai Sailor or Mark Turner

AKZO: Jack Sparrow or Torben Grael

VS11: Roy Disney / Google money Wendy Schmidt, or Ken Read

SHKS: boss Seng Huang Lee or Dawn Riley (would really like to see Brian Hancock get locked onboard for a few days).

TTOP: Tracy Edwards, MBE or Laurene Powell Jobs (Apple counterpart to Wendy Schmidt).  Sir Ben or Mr INEOS would be a coup.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stief said:

Who would be cool to see as the special guest that SHALL be on this Leg? Teams have already submitted their nominations, according to the NOR

MAPF: Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y de Grecia, King of Spain (or one of his two sisters?) or Knut Frostad.

SHKS: boss Seng Huang Lee or Dawn Riley (would really like to see Brian Hancock get locked onboard for a few days).

TTOP: Tracy Edwards, MBE or Laurene Powell Jobs (Apple counterpart to Wendy Schmidt).  Sir Ben or Mr INEOS would be a coup.

I think you've picked too many "current or past professional sailors" that the OA would be unlikely to approve. I imagine the choice will be made by the sponsor, not the race team, so unlikely to be a sailor.

4 minutes ago, oceangeek said:

I think you've picked too many "current or past professional sailors" that the OA would be unlikely to approve. I imagine the choice will be made by the sponsor, not the race team, so unlikely to be a sailor.

Agree. Torben is the only one (if nominated) likely to get approval, but my point was also who would it be cool to see onboard.

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Agree. Torben is the only one (if nominated) likely to get approval, but my point was also who would it be cool to see onboard.

Last edition, one of the teams was auctioning off their leg jumper positions to raise money, and it wasn't that expensive. Too bad that wasn't an option for this leg ride-along... would be way more interesting and fun, and I would have bid on that if the timing worked.

• Like 1

Every time this race homes near Sweden I can never put out of my mind in 2009 Telefonica Blue/Bouwe/SiFi rock hopping at the start of the final leg at Marstrand (and having to turn back and get hauled out losing #2 on leaderboard) and then the Tjorn Runt that same year. In fact Bouwe also ran aground at the Qingdao start that edition. 

That is one black cat Bouwe has killed in this postcode.

The teams in this Edition, namely Brunel, Mapfre, Akzonobel, Dongfeng and the close competition they have generated have done more to revive this race than any PR the VOR could devise.  

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Every time this race homes near Sweden I can never put out of my mind in 2009 Telefonica Blue/Bouwe/SiFi rock hopping at the start of the final leg at Marstrand (and having to turn back and get hauled out losing #2 on leaderboard) and then the Tjorn Runt that same year. In fact Bouwe also ran aground at the Qingdao start that edition. 

That is one black cat Bouwe has killed in this postcode.

Tjörn Rundt, aka demolition derby. I’ve done it twice, didn’t hit any rocks but plenty others did....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stief said:

Easy one for TBRU: they have dutch sailing journalist Ayolt Kloosterboer from the NOS (Dutch news organisation) on board (dutch link: https://nos.nl/artikel/2236651-bekking-en-nos-maken-zich-op-voor-nog-een-historische-etappe.html

Still on a high after THAT finish yesterday. Rewatched that overtake of Mapfre a few times now. Amazing what a difference that new J2 made. I tried to see who helmed and trimmed at Brunel, couldn’t see. Amazing job. Epic is a rather overused word but in this case one could fairly say it was an epic takeover. 

Have decided to keep in high spirits until this is all over, so bear with me! :)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Herman said:

THE COURSE 

Course 1

Pennant 1, Start - Alvsborg Gate - Gaveskar gate (Leaving Mark) 
Aarhus Outer Laid Mark to Port – Silderon East to Port – NAM 22 to Starboard - Finish 

Course 2

Pennant 2, Start - Alvsborg Gate - Gaveskar gate (Leaving Mark) 
Aarhus Inner Laid Mark to Port – Silderon East to Port – NAM 22 to Starboard - Finish 

So first from Trubaduren up north, then south again to Aarhus. A round around a can, back north to the Kattegat. After that full throttle to the city The Hague with the port called Scheveningen. If you can pronounce that name like a true Dutchie you get a beer from me there ;).

This is going to be a navigators feast picking your way across the North Sea full with oil and gas rigs, wind farms, and traffic that is one of the busiest in the world. Add a couple of TSS off the coast of The Netherlands which you must cross at an almost 90 degree angle and you get the picture.

The difference between course 1 and 2 is marginal, just where the can is at Aarhus: in port or outside the port.

Gothenburg to The Hague .png

South Norway virtual mark.png

Aarhus zoom.jpg

TSS Off Vlieland.jpg

Ample opportunity for Vestas to end up on a Danish beach a mere few miles from the Vestas HQ

• Like 1

Can't remember which race it was in the Med.  An advance team for Comanche took a chase boat outfitted with radar and prescreened the race course to see how close they could cut the corner.  Italy I believe.

5 hours ago, reinoutsmit said:

Easy one for TBRU: they have dutch sailing journalist Ayolt Kloosterboer from the NOS (Dutch news organisation) on board (dutch link: https://nos.nl/artikel/2236651-bekking-en-nos-maken-zich-op-voor-nog-een-historische-etappe.html

Thanks for the find and link.  I've pasted the machine translation to English below:

An interview with the Dutch skipper of Team Brunel after he has won the tenth stage in the Volvo Ocean Race with a huge catch-up.

Bekking after heroic victory: thanks also to AkzoNobel

Bouwe Bekking made a tough job yesterday by winning the tenth stage of the Volvo Ocean Race with a catch-up from the sixth place. It gave the Dutch boat the leading position in the general classification next to Mapfre, thanks to another Dutchman.

"We are very happy with this victory and we are given a bonus point, which is great, thanks to AkzoNobel from Simeon Tienpont who finished third for Dongfeng," Bekking said. Because if Dongfeng had become third, Team Brunel would not have had the final victory in his own hands.

In fact, three boats are at the top

Brunel and Mapfre will take the last stage to The Hague with 65 points on Thursday. Dongfeng is 64 points, but gets an extra point at the end because they have sailed the fastest over the entire race. In fact, the three boats are exactly the same now.

"Three boats that can still win, better you can not get it for sailing", says Bekking. "People can now see how beautiful sailing is, and the arrival in The Hague will be fantastic anyway."

NOS reporter sails with Brunel

NOS reporter Ayolt Kloosterboer is also looking forward to the last stage.Especially because he can sail with Team Brunel as a guest. "Such a crucial and historic stage and I am in the middle of it, as if you are jumping behind Max Verstappen in a Formula 1 race."

The NOS will keep the viewer informed during the final week, partly through live arrangements with Kloosterboer on the boat.

Kloosterboer: "In the 45-year history of the race it has never been so exciting, Bekking turns 55 on Sunday, this is the eighth time that he has entered, but he has never won the Ocean Race. happen now. "

It's very simple. The boat of the three leaders is the first in The Hague, wins the Volvo Ocean Race. "It's a short stage, there's no room for mistakes, that's really deadly, Bekking is going to take all the risks and look for the limits of the boat, maybe over it."

Kloosterboer could even help Bekking a hand if he is still on the boat. "I'm not sure if I'm doing that, so if I do not want to be a different team and are you an independent journalist?" "Well, they will not really put me at the helm or anything like that."

Ayolt Kloosterboer

I was asked to carry over my score sheet to this thread:

image.png.d5b3d022616dad5c757d7ddfd386cf0b.png

The winner of the 2017/18 Volvo Ocean Race will be either Dongfeng. Mapfre or Brunel. Whichever team beats the other teams will be the winner. If all three teams fail to finish, Mapfre will be the winner (More on that in a moment).

Mathematically, can the results of the In-Port race series affect who wins the Race?   In practical terms, it is extremely unlikely. However the In-Port series can mathematically come into play in two specific circumstances :    (i) If DF fails to finish, or finishes more than 20 hours behind Brunel, AND Brunel finishes immediately behind  Mapfre BUT Mapfre does not finish 1st.  The conclusion is still the same ....Mapfre is the winner but only with the assist of the in-port series.  If DF is 20+ hours behind, Brunel would pick up the bonus point for elapsed time so there would be a tie which would be broken by the in-port series .  For example:

image.png.261c925ea25ec243e5105ae8d1f79c77.png

But note, the in-port series doesnt determine the winner in this situation, it merely confirms the winner. If TRBU beats Mapfre , they win, If Mapfre beats TRBU, Mapfre wins.

(ii) The second , unlikely scenario where the in-port race actually determines who is the winner is if all three current leaders failed to finish.  Amazingly, Dongfeng still keeps the bonus point for fastest elapsed time because with the exception of Brunel, all the other boats are more than 24 hours behind Dongfeng. So the points would remain tied at 65 points and Mapfre would win on the tie breaker.

Whooa, wait a minute, who says Mapfre wins the in-port series? There are still two in-port series to go and Mapfre could mathematically finish last in both?  Keeping it real, Mapfre is the only team that have finished on the podium in every in-port race.  Aint going to happen.  But looking at the math for the sake of argument.   (i) If DF failed to finish and Brunel picked up the elapsed time bonus point, they can still not win the VOR without beating Mapfre on leg 11.  Brunel cannot overtake Mapfre in the in-port series because they are 15 points behind and can only pick up a max of 14 points.  (ii) However there is a mathematical possibility that If all three failed to finish then DF could overtake Mapfre. Presumably they didnt make it to the Hague so the in-port series would be determined at Gothenberg. It would not be enough for DF to win and Mapfre to come last (the points difference is 7) , DF would have to win and Mapfre fail to finish.

If all three fail to finish leg 11 and if DF wins the Gothenberg in-port and Mapfre fails to finish the Gothenberg in-port, then theoretically DF would be the winner .......and I dont think anyone cares much about that hypothetical scenario.   

We will either see:

1. Bouwe's first victory after 8 attempts.  More circuits round the planet by any other skipper in the history of the race before finally winning or

2. The first Spanish victory in the history of the race after countless entries.

3.  The first winner in the history of the race who did not win a single leg until the last leg or even the first winner who did not win a single leg.

As I said, its history in the making any which way that you slice it.

• Like 4

There is something deeply buried in my psyche which says if the Volvo Ocean Race was truly tied up at the end of the race , then the tie should be broken by the elapsed time.

The fact is that, with the race nearly over,  Charles has been 20 hours faster round the planet than Brunel, 4 1/2 days faster than Mapfre  and   5 1/2 days faster than Akzo.

As an "ocean race", havent the French/Chinese shown us that they can get round "it" faster than anyone?

• Like 1

The elapsed point is new this race, and for, I suspect, the reasons above. The Spanish on Telefonica in 2012 had the best elapsed time, but that counted for nothing, and there were arguments then that elapsed should count for something.

FWIW, in-port points counted in 2012 totals, but that ended up weighting the in-ports too much, so last edition in-ports were eliminated from the leg scores, and were only used as a tie-breaker for overall rankings.

The history of deciding how race should be decided has even more strange attempts to come up with  something that reflects the ideal race. The addition of the elapsed point and double leg points, and bonus for the Horn and wins is new, and other than RET and DNS/DNF, has worked this edition. No doubt further refinements will be tried, especially to balance the worth of big ocean legs with the shorter sea sprints.

Never winning a leg and hoisting the trophy? Can't see that as a record any team would want to achieve. A point for 24 hour record would be more desired.

Stief, FWIW.......I think the scoring system in this edition has worked extremely well.

I was just confessing to something deeply buried in my psyche.

The in-port races have to count for something otherwise they would degenerate into casual promotional waste of time. This is the right way to use them. The OD ocean racing is so close that the teams cannot afford to miss putting their best effort into the in-port. As we can see, the race will almost certainly be decided on the ocean but the in-port advantage to Mapfre keeps a little frisson in the mix.

And yet....there is that little pang coming from the psyche. 

I agree with your psyche re the elapsed point--after all, that was the primary way the Whitbread was decided. (sorry if my comment seemed to  imply a criticism). 

I love this race: because there are so many other 'races' going on, like the struggle to come up with a ranking for a RTW race (another reason I'm hooked on reading the Noticeboard).Trying to come up with the best system that 'weights' the many aspects of the efforts of the teams is a monumental and fascinating struggle.

Take 'sprint' leg vs  intercontinental ocean leg . Still waiting for someone to trial a system that differentiates the two. That's the 'next level' I watch for an RC to test. Longitude leg  (storm chasing/ timezones) vs Latitude leg (doldrum crossing/ climatezoner)? Different skills to sail those, but weighted the same.

An  Ocean leg win seems more important than a sea leg win in my psyche, for example. Sometimes the sprints, like legs 1, 10, and 11 seem like exhibition matches (like leg 0's or in-ports), and in many ways, the ocean race was over in Cardiff. Somewhere in the future, I'd expect an OA to come up with a score system that reflected that.

The "Chichester' class being tested in the upcoming Global race is interesting (like the 'B' side matches seen i many tournaments), and I' like to see that tested in the Vendee, for all those who could have continued their circumnavigation and campaigns had they been allowed one chance at outside assistance. Allowing outside assistance (with penalty) works in the Barcelona and VOR, 

I'm rambling. sorry. 

If you are looking for a fairer points system why not weight the points according to the distance sailed on each leg?

For example say 10 points per 1,000 nm for the winner 9 points per 1,000 nm for second etc.  With that system the last finisher on the Horn leg would get more points than the winner of the last leg.

2 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Stief, FWIW.......I think the scoring system in this edition has worked extremely well.

Actually it has, but by default because I don't think anyone imagined in their wildest dreams those at the front of the bus would be so close, let alone largely after doing their own thing. The drunken conga line of the last edition has been buried much to everyone's surprise.

The only exception is the absence of a true penalty for not starting a leg let alone fucking two....pays to be a Race Partner of the RO I guess.

• Like 1

Slow night in Anchorage: really bad weather. I was concerned if I ventured out on four wheels the Jeep would be impaled by a tree. So I watched the videos Jack posted above of the Telefonica Blue rock hop, and longer versions of same, on You Tube; the Tjorn Rundt demolition derby; and of course, since when I watch a You Tube video there are others available that are too tempting to pass up (and those do not include the ct videos, usually, as I hate cats, but they can be amusing - the videos that is), which tonight included the very humorously produced Puma episodes from 2011, beginning with the mast breakage, and so on. Again. Ken Read and Kimo Washington still make me laugh, the farting discussion is priceless, golf on Tristan, etc.  

I generally agree with Stief's comments regarding the points (it has particularly bothered me that some long legs were not double points and shorter onee were), as modified  (and repeatedly appropriately suggested) by Jack (not finishing or not finishing or starting a leg should not be rewarded), and the mini legs, while perhaps more technically challenging,  should possibly count less. Would awarding points for setting speed records reward risky behavior?

2 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

Would awarding points for setting speed records reward risky behavior?

VOR speed records are a bi-product and no points should award. The reward is the finish line.

It is however interesting comparing records over time for the race ie. Stienlarger 2 a maxi in 1998 for the 24 hr of 340nm, then a Volvo 70 having not just the race record but a World Record of < 600nm but that then broken by a 65' truck in the form of Akzo. VOR boats however have the luxury of being constantly monitored to support this, but it is only in race time.

In context the current World Record holder is a 100 footer scoring not much more than Akzo did but not in a race but who left the US to a weather window to break the West/East Atlantic Record (which they blitzed), but half way elected to dial up a start spot for the 24hr on account they were not in a race for it to be recognised.

The finish line counts in a race, not what occurs in the middle and records are records.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

The winner of the 2017/18 Volvo Ocean Race will be either Dongfeng. Mapfre or Brunel. Whichever team beats the other teams will be the winner. If all three teams fail to finish, Mapfre will be the winner (More on that in a moment).

Mathematically, can the results of the In-Port race series affect who wins the Race?   In practical terms, it is extremely unlikely. However the In-Port series can mathematically come into play in two specific circumstances :    (i) If DF fails to finish, or finishes more than 20 hours behind Brunel, AND Brunel finishes immediately behind  Mapfre BUT Mapfre does not finish 1st.  The conclusion is still the same ....Mapfre is the winner but only with the assist of the in-port series.  If DF is 20+ hours behind, Brunel would pick up the bonus point for elapsed time so there would be a tie which would be broken by the in-port series .  For example:

But note, the in-port series doesnt determine the winner in this situation, it merely confirms the winner. If TRBU beats Mapfre , they win, If Mapfre beats TRBU, Mapfre wins.

(ii) The second , unlikely scenario where the in-port race actually determines who is the winner is if all three current leaders failed to finish.  Amazingly, Dongfeng still keeps the bonus point for fastest elapsed time because with the exception of Brunel, all the other boats are more than 24 hours behind Dongfeng. So the points would remain tied at 65 points and Mapfre would win on the tie breaker.

Whooa, wait a minute, who says Mapfre wins the in-port series? There are still two in-port series to go and Mapfre could mathematically finish last in both?  Keeping it real, Mapfre is the only team that have finished on the podium in every in-port race.  Aint going to happen.  But looking at the math for the sake of argument.   (i) If DF failed to finish and Brunel picked up the elapsed time bonus point, they can still not win the VOR without beating Mapfre on leg 11.  Brunel cannot overtake Mapfre in the in-port series because they are 15 points behind and can only pick up a max of 14 points.  (ii) However there is a mathematical possibility that If all three failed to finish then DF could overtake Mapfre. Presumably they didnt make it to the Hague so the in-port series would be determined at Gothenberg. It would not be enough for DF to win and Mapfre to come last (the points difference is 7) , DF would have to win and Mapfre fail to finish.

If all three fail to finish leg 11 and if DF wins the Gothenberg in-port and Mapfre fails to finish the Gothenberg in-port, then theoretically DF would be the winner .......and I dont think anyone cares much about that hypothetical scenario.   

We will either see:

1. Bouwe's first victory after 8 attempts.  More circuits round the planet by any other skipper in the history of the race before finally winning or

2. The first Spanish victory in the history of the race after countless entries.

3.  The first winner in the history of the race who did not win a single leg until the last leg or even the first winner who did not win a single leg.

Why does everyone forget China MK- if Dongfeng wins it will be the first Chinese team to win and remarkably make it 2 wins out of 3 for Charles Caudrelier and 3 podiums out of 3 too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

There is something deeply buried in my psyche which says if the Volvo Ocean Race was truly tied up at the end of the race , then the tie should be broken by the elapsed time.

The fact is that, with the race nearly over,  Charles has been 20 hours faster round the planet than Brunel, 4 1/2 days faster than Mapfre  and   5 1/2 days faster than Akzo.

As an "ocean race", havent the French/Chinese shown us that they can get round "it" faster than anyone?

And ironically Mambo if they hadn't messed with the scoring system, the double point the bonus points etc I am told DFRT would already be unbeatable with 1 leg to go. In fact if I guess right it would have been theirs in Cardiff already.

SS

EDIT : Just checked and I don't think my source's maths is too hot ha - great crowds here in Giothenburg BTW

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, shanghaisailor said:

And ironically Mambo...I am told DFRT would already be unbeatable with 1 leg to go. 

Mate you escaped..well done, but you should not be saying things like that..they will lock you up again.

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

great crowds here in Giothenburg BTW

Shang a vid of your escape has gone viral... don't know how you did that mate, but I'm in awe.

images (36).jpeg

9 hours ago, Terry Hollis said:

With that system the last finisher on the Horn leg would get more points than the winner of the last leg.

It is not inconceivable that there will be no Cape Horn leg in the 2012 edition as a round around Australia is investigated to be on the menu, but your point seems fair.

12 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

We will either see:

Wow, kudo's for that analysis MK! Conclusion: Bouwe needs to win leg 11, period ;)

Teams ready for close action in Sunday’s Gothenburg In-Port Race

Sunday's Gothenburg In-Port Race provides up close racing in the second home of the Volvo Ocean Race...

June 16, 201815:05 UTC

With the Volvo Ocean Race making its fourth visit to Gothenburg, race fans will be treated to spectacular racing on a course at the mouth of the Göta älv, the river that bisects the city.

As the home of Volvo, Gothenburg has become a home away from home for the race over the past 20 years.

While the overall leaderboard for the Volvo Ocean Race is historically tight, there is slightly more margin in the In-Port Race Series.

The biggest battle is between the two teams with Dutch skippers, where Bouwe Bekking’s Team Brunel leads Simeon Tienpont’s team AkzoNobel by just two points in the fight for the final podium spot.

At the top of the table, Xabi Fernández’s MAPFRE is seven points clear of Charles Caudrelier’s Dongfeng Race Team. A win on Sunday would confirm MAPFRE’s victory in the series, ahead of the final race in The Hague on 30 June.

Further down the table, Charlie Enright’s Vestas 11th Hour Racing is five points clear of David Witt’s SHK/Scallywag, who have Dee Caffari’s Turn the Tide on Plastic just four points behind.

With two In-Port Race Series events left, there is potential for movement here.

The weather forecast for Sunday is for a 10-knot South-Southwesterly, with a chance of light showers.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11946_Teams-ready-for-close-action-in-Sundays-Gothenburg-In-Port-Race.html

16 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

I hear you. 

Tho I think DF loses the holier than my competitors card when it got the Melbourne haul out while everyone else was warned before leaving Cape Town that there would be no services other than those abroad plus nominated dockside crew in Melbourne. 

In the old era as you said, DF would have incurred a penalty for boat repairs and probably started leg late without VoR boatyard involvement. 

Vestas being ahead of TTOP is absurd. 

• Like 1

I wondered about Vestas’ performance this leg, energy onboard seemed very low. SiFi at some point looked pretty bored as he was day-dreaming about his days with AbuDhabi. 

• Like 1

In general Vestas has not seemed to have had the same performance since losing its stick. If I recall correctly SiFi was driving when they lost the mast. Not a lot of news have come about re what had happened. Esp given that SiFi said it was mild conditions. 

In general I feel the most for the crew. 

If Brunel wins overall, will it really be justified to say that Burling has won the "triple crown" of sailing, given that he wasn't onboard for all of the legs?  He didn't actually sail around the world.  On the other hand, if Mapfre win, Tuke really was onboard for all the legs.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Yankie said:

If Brunel wins overall, will it really be justified to say that Burling has won the "triple crown" of sailing, given that he wasn't onboard for all of the legs?  He didn't actually sail around the world.  On the other hand, if Mapfre win, Tuke really was onboard for all the legs.

Yes.

31 minutes ago, Yankie said:

Does Pete even care?  On the arrival video he said “ I don’t think either of us really care about this so-called triple crown, we’re just trying to win a yacht race.”  

At the end of the race he will have sailed 10 of the 11 legs, missing the Melbourne to Hong Kong leg only and sailed more miles than most of the previous editions of the race.  

I get the feeling that for Pete, ( and Blair) it will be more about winning for his team than the “triple crown”. 

Personally I’m rooting for Brunel - their comeback has been amazing and I hope it can continue.  And I think Pete (or Blair) fully deserves any kudos that comes with the win if either of them manage to do it.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Elisa said:

I wondered about Vestas’ performance this leg, energy onboard seemed very low.

Gee hey, so this is like Leg 5,402?   Absolutely everyone is fucking over it already.

37B912FE00000578-0-Men_who_get_tired_in_

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

14.00 local 

Had to dodge the thunder showers on the way to the village & expected it to be deserted but not so. Then another storm came along as I sheltered under the cuddy on Green Dragon Powered by UBOX & now just 5 minutes to the off

On 6/15/2018 at 10:00 PM, Mambo Kings said:

Well that got rid of that hypothetical scenario ...and good riddance too.

So we are left with:

1. Whoever, DF, Mapfre or TRBU, beats the other 2 boats in leg 11 wins the VOR.

2. If all three fail to finish, Mapfre wins.

3. If DF fails to finish leg 11, there can be a theoretical tie between TRBU and Mapfre but it doesn't affect the outcome. If Mapfre beats Brunel, Mapfre is the winner. If Brunel beats Mapfre, Brunel is the winner.

58 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Mapfre really destroyed DF in boat positioning today. 

A quote comes to mind. Also for TBRU who are again better in 30+ winds then light wind sailing..

83BC0EF3-3FE6-46C6-A342-264EF4BDDCC2.jpeg

20 hours ago, Elisa said:

I wondered about Vestas’ performance this leg, energy onboard seemed very low. SiFi at some point looked pretty bored as he was day-dreaming about his days with AbuDhabi. 

Those were the days - from a rock in 2009 with Bouwe to glory in 2015. And now in between. If you have seen all, done it all, got the t-shirt, keeping morale up is hardest. That is not just applicable for pro-sailing, but life.

* philosofical mode off *

• Like 1

I was surprised to see Martine's hair free to fly (beyond the pony tail).  Every time she was on camera, I was worried she'd get sucked into a winch or block.

The women have been fucking brilliant, shame it took a rule to bring them to the fore - Wardley, Caffari, Ciszek,  Greenhalgh, Grael, all of them. Excellent, talented offshore sailors, they've earned their stripes

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I was surprised to see Martine's hair free to fly (beyond the pony tail).  Every time she was on camera, I was worried she'd get sucked into a winch or block.

Me too.  It's really dangerous,.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, horatio_nelson said:

The women have been fucking brilliant, shame it took a rule to bring them to the fore - Wardley, Caffari, Ciszek,  Greenhalgh, Grael, all of them. Excellent, talented offshore sailors, they've earned their stripes

Actually while I support the sentiments behind your post, you are both factually incorrect but worse unknowingly demeaning the skill set of women who are doing this race. Firstly every woman you name with the exception of Martine has done this race before and not via a gender mix rule but being part of an "all women crew".

Then just using the ones you have mentioned whether it be say Dee as a Skipper, the pocket rocket Wardley as a Boat Captain, Libby as a Navigator (who got the peer awarded Navigator prize last edition) all stood before this edition equal with their male peers. In fact in some instances superior. For instance when Xabi chose his crew numbers for Leg 8 and Sophie had to recuperate what did he do? Find another woman to fill the spot, no he did the leg one body down and won it.

Women in offshore racing has gone far beyond the Tracey Edwards femmist message of Maiden decades ago doning swimsuits for the Miami finish line and now far beyond even the SCA adventure of last edition.

The genisus to women in this event may have started by rule many editions ago. However I can assure you for those with top end skills they don't need a rule to prosecute their inclusion anymore. Many stand level pegging with many men in this event, and for some over shadowing them.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The genisus to women in this event may have started by rule many editions ago. However I can assure you for those with top end skills they don't need a rule to prosecute their involvement anymore.

I so hope you’re right Jack, truth is reality is unruly. I think we need perhaps one more edition with a minimum female take rule. It is awesome to see them on the bow, navigating, trimming, taking care of the boat and skippering, we only need a really cool badass driveress and us girls are taking over. :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Actually while I support the sentiments behind your post, you are both factually incorrect but worse unknowingly demeaning the skill set of women who are doing this race. Firstly every woman you name with the exception of Martine has done this race before and not via a gender mix rule but being part of an "all women crew".

Then just using the ones you have mentioned whether it be say Dee as a Skipper, the pocket rocket Wardley as a Boat Captain, Libby as a Navigator (who got the peer awarded Navigator prize last edition) all stood before this edition equal with their male peers. In fact in some instances superior. For instance when Xabi chose his crew numbers for Leg 8 and Sophie had to recuperate what did he do? Find another woman to fill the spot, no he did the leg one body down and won it.

Women in offshore racing has gone far beyond the Tracey Edwards femmist message of Maiden decades ago doning swimsuits for the Miami finish line and now far beyond even the SCA adventure of last edition.

The genisus to women in this event may have started by rule many editions ago. However I can assure you for those with top end skills they don't need a rule to prosecute their inclusion anymore. Many stand level pegging with many men in this event, and for some over shadowing them.

Rolls eyes :)

fair enough, but you know what I meant. Good to see them front and centre of the crews on merit, that's all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, horatio_nelson said:

Rolls eyes :)

fair enough, but you know what I meant. Good to see them front and centre of the crews on merit, that's all.

I know what you meant..but your delivery unfortunately was shit.

22 minutes ago, paps49 said:

Don't mind Jack, he gets a bit testy between legs.

Unlike you papa dog I still have my testies, no woman has stolen them...well yet. :-)

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

we only need a really cool badass driveress and us girls are taking over. :D

Driving... that is one bridge too far girl. If it happened imagine all those people who are out of work who rely upon fixing car panel work after touch parking from a trip down to the shops :-)

2 hours ago, Elisa said:

I so hope you’re right Jack, truth is reality is unruly. I think we need perhaps one more edition with a minimum female take rule

Actually on a more serious note the rule can't go for a while not because of women's inclusion in this race alone but propogating inclusion outside it.

Believe it or not someone like Sophie with already a Volvo and more than a decade of S2H's under her belt had to beg borrow and steal to get a ride in the 2016 S2H where she was in the top 3 on board with both Volvo and S2H experience. The other two were Will Oxley (Navigator 2 VOR's and same number of S2H's) and Wade Morgan (one VOR but one more S2H).

They finished 2nd in Division 1 so she wasn't on a slow poke.

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

You've forgot Jena Mai Hansen on V11h, who hadn't even done over-night racing before this VOR.

2 hours ago, MikkelPetersen said:

You've forgot Jena Mai Hansen on V11h, who hadn't even done over-night racing before this VOR.

I didn't forget. I made a point of only referring to girls the OP listed. There are many more starting with Abby Ehler on Brunel who, if she was on Apollo 13, no-one on planet earth would know the words "Houston we have a problem"

• Like 5

Swedish rocks....

I’m back home, but a Swedish magazine just reported that Mapfre grounded during the pro-am today.

Most likely they hit soft ground and not an actual rock so hopefully no damages. Video at Search magazine

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

Swedish rocks....

I’m back home, but a Swedish magazine just reported that Mapfre grounded during the pro-am today.

Most likely they hit soft ground and not an actual rock so hopefully no damages. Video at Search magazine

Are they allowed to haul out the boat in Gothenburg? I'd think not since it's a short stopover.

6 minutes ago, Slark said:

Are they allowed to haul out the boat in Gothenburg? I'd think not since it's a short stopover.

Probably not but it might be a safety issue. The water is not crystal clear but hopefully a diver can get a good luck. 

More (diving options) action after the in-port happened, when Scallywag got a sheet in the propeller on their way back, and some boat wanted to assist but ended up crashing into them.  Only gel coat damages but it needed a pretty big patch. Quite a special memory for that boat I guess...

41 minutes ago, Slark said:

If RC decides this is the moment to enforce the stopover rules (having ignored them throughout the event to ensure maximum boat participation with the assistance of VOR Boatyard), even Xabi will explode.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Swedish rocks....

Gosh, hopefully a minor incident and damage. 

• Like 2

it looks like not much wind in the video, so hopefully nothing major, but I am sure Xabi had a nightmarish recollection of what happened in 2009

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

Probably not but it might be a safety issue. The water is not crystal clear but hopefully a diver can get a good luck. 

More (diving options) action after the in-port happened, when Scallywag got a sheet in the propeller on their way back, and some boat wanted to assist but ended up crashing into them.  Only gel coat damages but it needed a pretty big patch. Quite a special memory for that boat I guess...

Almost done with the boat rental anyway - might as well have some special memories ;)

• Like 3

Just now, Miffy said:

Almost done with the boat rental anyway - might as well have some special memories ;)

Troll!

(:P)

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I know what you meant..but your delivery unfortunately was shit.

Compared with your razor sharp wordsmithery, hilarious and clever metaphors, the cute nicknames and generally fucking amazing delivery, well yes my delivery was pretty shit tbh

• Like 2