Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

That girl whose name escapes me stuffing the microphone in everyone's face is making me forget about Nial. Does anyone make double coffins??

• Like 1

Kyle Langford is first to say unequivocally that he wants to do it again.

Blair Tuke is clearly gutted.  Mapfre were so close the whole way around.

PB is keeping his cards close to his chest, but when asked if he would skipper a VOR team, he didnt say no.  "We'll see"

The triple crown is unfinished business for PB and BT. I think they put together a tough younger team and we have seen how important stamina is.

Scally owner just interviewed by Green. "You drove it like you owned it" asks Green. These lazy talking heads dial in here for their script.

• Like 1

I’m totally melancholic already, if the winner takes the trophy with 12 minutes advantage after a round the world race then all are winners aren’t they as we already concluded in Gothenburg :). I could easily see the same teams do another round of the big blue ball.... after a nice break that is. We’ll see, :)

• Like 3

Mr. Lee did have the best start, save for arguably Azko.  He drove the boat with finesse.  Just like he owned it. 

• Like 1

I gotta check my eyelids for holes. Thanks everyone here for the comradery and if you do nothing else, please shout and yell to ensure this race keeps going and is one which is relevant and authentic.

• Like 8

Fucking Great Race.  Top 3 all won in my book.  They can run these boats around again as far as I'm concerned.  Can't imagine a better result.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I’m totally melancholic already, if the winner takes the trophy with 12 minutes advantage after a round the world race then all are winners aren’t they as we already concluded in Gothenburg :). I could easily see the same teams do another round of the big blue ball.... after a nice break that is. We’ll see, :)

Agree  (reaction bin is dry). Will enjoy the break from sailing by sailing, then back to following sailing.

• Like 1

God, that was quite a finish to quite an edition of the race. Congrats Dongfeng! Feel really sorry for Mapfre and Brunel, so close...

What will I do with my free time in the coming 3 years?

• Like 1

Must be really tough for Xabi, hope he comes back to win.

• Like 1

Vids from yesterday, before I start with today:

Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll Dongfeng
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview, Pascal Bidégorry/Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Dutch, Carlo Huisman, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Spanish Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, NL, The Hague race village opening

Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, Route animation fleet split 23-24 Jun
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll & interview, Blair Tuke, Mapfre
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Dutch, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll & interview, Andrew Cape, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 23 June, heli: off coast of Denmark

• Like 3

So tough there had to be losers.  All top four leg 11 finishers led compelling at one point or another.  

What an overall race though.   The podium each had highlights that will stick with us for a long time.   Blast reaching past freighters at Gibraltar seems so, well, 9 months ago.

For Brunel, it was the pure boatspeed slicing through the fleet in a North Sea storm and leading the fleet to the Horn in epic conditions.  For Mapfre it was 40 gybes in 40 knots to seal the deal enroute to Melbourne.   And Donger, so many places where they were the one to chase, so consistently fast, finally winning a leg on a gutsy nav call when everything was at risk.    Tremendous.   

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Skid51 said:

So tough there had to be losers.  All top four leg 11 finishers led compelling at one point or another.  

What an overall race though.   The podium each had highlights that will stick with us for a long time.   Blast reaching past freighters at Gibraltar seems so, well, 9 months ago.

For Brunel, it was the pure boatspeed slicing through the fleet in a North Sea storm and leading the fleet to the Horn in epic conditions.  For Mapfre it was 40 gybes in 40 knots to seal the deal enroute to Melbourne.   And Donger, so many places where they were the one to chase, so consistently fast, finally winning a leg on a gutsy nav call when everything was at risk.    Tremendous.   

Can't discount Akzo's 24 hour run and charge across the atlantic. 

• Like 2

Light NWerly blowing here in downtown PDX.  Taking my 10' Lounge Lizard for a lap around Ross Island.  Best medicine for VOR withdrawal is sailing.  Anarchy Rocks.  Kumbaya Motherfuckers.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Vids from yesterday, before I start with today:

Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll Dongfeng
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview, Pascal Bidégorry/Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Dutch, Carlo Huisman, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Spanish Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, NL, The Hague race village opening

Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, Route animation fleet split 23-24 Jun
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll & interview, Blair Tuke, Mapfre
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, interview in Dutch, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 24 June, B-roll & interview, Andrew Cape, Brunel
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 23 June, heli: off coast of Denmark

In the interview says that they had decided to go east but changed their mind at the last minute as the forecast changed...

2 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I feel same way.  I think some teams will be back. Some will hang up their boots. But some very exciting new teams with younger skippers will emerge from this edition.

Hopefully the lesson learnt will be "Keep it One Design"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

If anyone is in the Hague can you please  pick Shang up..seems he started celebrating a tad early.

images (52).jpeg

Been looking for the lucky bastard in several bars to no avail. Hopefully will pick him up out of the gutter this coming week. 

Battery now at 2%, so c u later.

Today's footage coming in...

VNR 25 June, interview in French, Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
VNR 25 June, Dongfeng Race Team wins the Volvo Ocean Race
VNR 25 June, B-roll: Dongfeng Race Team wins the Volvo Ocean Race

• Like 1

It's over for everyone but TTOP and Scally, and I've still got a long-shot hope that TTOP gets lucky on the 30th.

If TTOP beats Scally with 2 boats in between, TTOP would beat Scally overall, as the 3rd tie breaker is results of the last in-port.

Go Dee!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oceangeek said:

Wow, great call. Dong beat Mapfre by 17 minutes...

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Reminder from oceangeek ^^^^ re Herman's routing predictions.

"Brace for impact. Unbelievable. The local HIRLAM model says go inshore. For all boats. DFRT to beat MAPFRE by 12 minutes'

Well done Herm

Thanks, even I can get it wrong by 5 minutes a day ahead :P

What a day! I’m on my way home now, real tired. Skipped lunch and dinner. Was interviewd in the harbor first. No luck on a RIB ride out for me. The crowds were huge at the beach and port, boats everywhere. DFRT was coming in hard along the beach at 1,5 nm distance, what a spectacle!

After the docking I have welcomed Witty to Scheveningen and gave him a hand. I talked to Charles and Pascal shortly after their Niall interview which I watched from 3 meters. They were chatting up with Xabi who was next up with Bouwe. Said to Pascal that he had balls of steel. I asked him what models he used for his inshore routing. Arpege or HIRLAM. Pascal: “both!“ Got my hand for a second in the trophee too. I’m too old to ask for selfies, but will have look if some pics are worth sharing here. Bouwe was a bit late from the docks, but enjoyed with his wife a bath in the enthousiast crowd. Very nice to see.

• Like 12

^^ Thanks Rennie for your video work, much appreciated. Was a bit puzzled by the dates since today is 24th right? :blink:

• Like 1

Wow. The Chinese Truck pulled it off. Congratulations DongFeng. Well done MAPFRE and BRUNEL. 

What a brilliant finish to an exciting RTW race. 

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 7.53.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 7.53.38 AM.png

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ Thanks Rennie for your video work, much appreciated. Was a bit puzzled by the dates since today is 24th right? :blink:

Ha, yes, indeed, sorry. Not focused enough, family stuff going on.

Cannot correct it now. 

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

Ha, yes, indeed, sorry. Not focused enough, family stuff going on.

Cannot correct it now. 

You take care of that, much more important, dates are not important at all! Thanks again.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Scally owner just interviewed by Green. "You drove it like you owned it" asks Green. These lazy talking heads dial in here for their script.

I need all the help I can get. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Herman said:

Thanks, even I can get it wrong by 5 minutes a day ahead :P

What a day! I’m on my way home now, real tired. Skipped lunch and dinner. Was interviewd in the harbor first. No luck on a RIB ride out for me. The crowds were huge at the beach and port, boats everywhere. DFRT was coming in hard along the beach at 1,5 nm distance, what a spectacle!

After the docking I have welcomed Witty to Scheveningen and gave him a hand. I talked to Charles and Pascal shortly after their Niall interview which I watched from 3 meters. They were chatting up with Xabi who was next up with Bouwe. Said to Pascal that he had balls of steel. I asked him what models he used for his inshore routing. Arpege or HIRLAM. Pascal: “both!“ Got my hand for a second in the trophee too. I’m too old to ask for selfies, but will have look if some pics are worth sharing here. Bouwe was a bit late from the docks, but enjoyed with his wife a bath in the enthousiast crowd. Very nice to see.

What a fabulous day you’ve had :)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Wavedancer II said:

And who was that guy again who wrote all that negative stuff on the front page?

Eating crow, I hope

Hancock? No, even he's now a convert. ;)

Congratulations Donger! I had to call it and get some sleep so missed the final 2 hours or so. What an enthralling, exciting, tense, sad (rip fish) contest it has been, and on top of that the coverage has been outstanding. Good game VOR good fucking game. 

• Like 1

here we go

P1020700.jpg

• Like 7

My upload quotum for the forum seems full atm so I will post the rest tomorrow. Night all!

finish Dong Feng

1200934487_FinishDongFeng.thumb.jpg.8975fe683c0a0237e9d3d82579479bf8.jpg

• Like 4

Finish Akzo, Mapfre and Brunel later when my upload quota have been refreshed

Great race, I mostly lurked as I didn’t have a lot to add to the knowledge and insight shown here. I was reading along with you all, thank !!!

Nice one Dongers

Thanks to all here for the 9 months of entertainment.... love yus all

Where to now....?

I'm going sailing

• Like 4

Wow!!!! I'll catch up on the comments tonight but just WOW!

Congrats to Dong Feng, you proved me wrong....again. Great race by all and great banter in here.

What am I going to do now??

• Like 1

What a fantastic edition to follow, and so much more so with all the insight and entertainment provided here. Ups, downs and all around the world.

Congratulations to all the sailors in the VOR, hope you get some sleep.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

My upload quotum for the forum seems full atm so I will post the rest tomorrow. Night all!

Well done, Herman. Looks like the place was going-off.

That was awesome to watch. (I still haven't seen the Leg 11 dock-in and interview videos; I'm gonna watch those next.)

But in terms of the Raw Content ocean leg videos, the spreadsheet is (I think) finished. 1,354 videos described and tagged.

Yay! :-)

• Like 13

Thanks to all the usual SA suspects for an entertaining RTWR commentary.

I hesitate to single anyone out, but a special thanks to SOX for challenging me to stick around from the start. My faith in this race has been restored, as a consequence. I've even stopped bagging the OD thing. How could I not?

Hope to catch up with you all again soon.

• Like 8

16 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

3+ hours at least before they hit the corner and can match the "go around outside cowgirls" for boat speed..my guess is the Dong are already fucked unless there is some god like intervention up ahead.

This is now just a Yellow and 1x Red race for the top prize.

How’d that go for ya? 

I fell asleep with two hours to go. Was hoping for the Banana clogs but wasn’t to be. Kind of glad the fastest boat around the planet won. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paps49 said:

Wow!!!! I'll catch up on the comments tonight but just WOW!

Congrats to Dong Feng, you proved me wrong....again. Great race by all and great banter in here.

What am I going to do now??

Leg 12: I'm a VORoholic 

• Like 3

Year of the dong. Ya'll must be sleeping. Weird. Why wait til now. Understandable.

We waited for the last finisher, sailed and celebrated.  Back sitting on the deck, looking at the mountains (getting high) and realizing  I miss ya'll. The chatter, commentary, forecasts. It has been great. Thank you!.

peace out

• Like 1

How much to put a campaign together?  Just asking for a friend.....

Wow...exhausted. Still quite amazed at that split. Vila was going inshore then last minute went out. Pascal was going out then last minute went in. What a turning point and then doing it alone with no pace boats around. Awesome.

• Like 1

It was awesome, but where you think DF was going out? My impression is they had a plan (before the start gun), and stuck with it, which is so very hard to do.

Eventually we will hear from the outside boats. 

The 30 degree shift that Brunel was expecting didn't materialize.

But also, did the downwind duel down the exclusion zone between Akzo, Brunel and Mapfre contribute to their slower times?  In the Video at the time  Bouwe commented how Akzo were holding them up and how Brunel was holding up Mapfre.

What a race, probably the greatest in the history of the race. Sign me up for the book (as long as it is not written by Wheatley)

• Like 1

Been fun Spinstas’

25 minutes ago, Varan said:

It was awesome, but where you think DF was going out? My impression is they had a plan (before the start gun), and stuck with it, which is so very hard to do.

Someone up thread (Herman I think) said that Dongfeng made a last minute decision after a new weather report came through.

I believe this was from the horses (Pascal's) mouth.

39 minutes ago, Varan said:

Varan also here says they decided to switch to inshore Saturday night. 

https://www.volvooceanrace.com//en/news/12028_Dongfeng-Race-Team-win-the-Volvo-Ocean-Race-with-late-pass-on-final-day.html

• Like 1

Not Herman, this video below. But as a non French speaker I cannot verify :D

EDIT: Just read Jack's link above. Much simpler.

38 minutes ago, Varan said:

8 hours ago, Panoramix said:

In the interview says that they had decided to go east but changed their mind at the last minute as the forecast changed...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yl75 said:

Thank you so much for sharing this. It was revealing and fun to see and hear, uncanned questions, Charles' humility and gratitude towards his team, and sponsors, and especially the trophy presentation. Go Carolijn!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

6 hours ago, racinggreen said:

I need all the help I can get. 

^^^^^^ This is pretty funny

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Eventually we will hear from the outside boats. 

The 30 degree shift that Brunel was expecting didn't materialize.

But also, did the downwind duel down the exclusion zone between Akzo, Brunel and Mapfre contribute to their slower times?  In the Video at the time  Bouwe commented how Akzo were holding them up and how Brunel was holding up Mapfre.

What a race, probably the greatest in the history of the race. Sign me up for the book (as long as it is not written by Wheatley)

or Hand-cock.  Or Clean.

Having rested and eaten: I am once again out of "likes" so I will separately echo what so many posters above have said: that following this race on OSA has been a lot of fun and educational. I too thank so many of you for your contributions. There have been race highs and race lows: it was comforting to be able to experience those lows with others, and the highs as well, particularly  since it is basically impossible to do so with friends who don't get it. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the value of this forum as well as the team work and leadership of the race itself.  I very much hope it returns and that the next 3 years pass quickly. In the meantime...

Thank you all.

• Like 10

Forgive me but where is the full video of the finish -- after nine months of obsessing I really want to watch the last 30 mins!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

How much to put a campaign together?  Just asking for a friend.....

Average say USD$20 million excluding sponsors own marketing expenses, B2B etc. Approx half of that is operating expense excluding renta-boat etc.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Forgive me but where is the full video of the finish -- after nine months of obsessing I really want to watch the last 30 mins!

They have yet to upload a replay. I suspect they are all on the drink.

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Average say USD$20 million excluding sponsors own marketing expenses, B2B etc.

Oh, OK then.  That's not so bad.  Watch this space.

(I'd save money, if I drove the boat, right?  Burling can't be cheap...even though he kind of buggered up a couple of starts.)

Salut Charles+Pascal+tout l'Equipe! Merci  la monde; les oceans, tous les bataux, et vous ici. A le prochain.

7 hours ago, Herman said:

. I talked to Charles and Pascal shortly after their Niall interview which I watched from 3 meters.

Watching I thought at the time I wonder if Herm and maybe Leo are lurking there in the mosh pit..and you were.

I've been on our boat and busy the last few days and haven't had time to catch up on the thread yet, but I must say THANK-YOU to all who have made this year a good one on here. One of the best since the beginning -- really.

A toast to you....

Thanks! Could you imagine that kind of sugar in your coffee? Just awesome.

1 hour ago, Left Shift said:

Oh, OK then.  That's not so bad.  Watch this space.

(I'd save money, if I drove the boat, right?  Burling can't be cheap...even though he kind of buggered up a couple of starts.)

I think Burling was quite disappointing over the last 40 odd miles.  Even with a poor tactical decision TB had no boat speed and slipped further behind.  Its easy to look golden when you have the fastest boat (AC) but I think his lack of experience in big boat close racing and match racing showed is weakness. 

congrats to Dongfeng. Gutted for Mapfre and Bouwe. 

What are we going to do now without a tracker to follow?? Snif, snif. 

As opposed to all the times he drove it so fast Mapfre could stop them blowing past.  Really !!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pascal tearing up got me teared up. The architect and his mate Charles, along with Kevin, the brain trust on the crew of DF. 

Edited by despacio avenue
missing words

4 hours ago, Varan said:

My thoughts too. They went due south along the coast ASAP.

44 minutes ago, silvestert said:

Does anyone know if the dock with VOR65 in The Hague is accessible to the public?

Yesterday there were 2 ladies guarding the actual dock, as no sailors or staff were on the boats. If the crowds are gone you might try to get on. The view from the dock entrance on the floating dock with the boats is great though. You can see everything going on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Herman said:

My thoughts too. They went due south along the coast ASAP.

In one of the interviews Charles said Marcel v T recommended the coastal route and that Charles didn’t listen to his advice couple of times in the past althouhg he should have, so now they (Pascal) decided to do exactly what Marcel said they should do and it paid off. 

Luck?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yesterday there were 2 ladies guarding the actual dock, as no sailors or staff were on the boats. If the crowds are gone you might try to get on. The view from the dock entrance on the floating dock with the boats is great though. You can see everything going on.

We have to leave Hague asap due to some other stuff this afternoon and I wanted to see the boats from really close... and I’m not into walking half an hour to the village just to find out it is closed...

8 minutes ago, silvestert said:

We have to leave Hague asap due to some other stuff this afternoon and I wanted to see the boats from really close... and I’m not into walking half an hour to the village just to find out it is closed...

It's worth the visit!

12 minutes ago, silvestert said:

In one of the interviews Charles said Marcel v T recommended the coastal route and that Charles didn’t listen to his advice couple of times in the past althouhg he should have, so now they (Pascal) decided to do exactly what Marcel said they should do and it paid off. 

Luck?

Indeed certainly no luck. The weather models GFS (22 km resolution),  EMCWF (9 km resolution) and NEMS (4 km resolution) all said go the the Friesland TSS. Only HIRLAM (2,5 km resolution) said go inshore. But that model is not available at the NW tip of Denmark. It's available up to 56 north. DFRT was going already 30 nm due south above that line. 

• Like 1

Thread drift: I know there is another thread on this other race, but for those who want to do one stop shopping:
It's been a great weekend for women in offshore ocean racing.  In addition to the VOR: 

Team Sail Like A Girl became the first monohull and first all-women's team (six women) to win the 800 mile Race To Alaska sailboat race, aka R2AK, at 12:17am AKDT today June 24. The race, which can be done in anything that floats so long as it does not have an engine and is human or wind powered or both,  starts in Port Townshend, WA, with a first stop in Victoria BC. For those who make it that far, the race then goes on and ends in Ketchikan, AK.  The waters have eddies, currents tidal variations, and in this race a long period of time with no wind. TSLAG's Melges 32 with a dual pedal drive, and oars when necessary, bested 37 monohulls, multihulls and human powered vessels (incl kayaks, a rowboat, paddleboat). 

There is a short but entertaining video montage of TSLAG's efforts during Day 7 including their finish on You Tube and also the R2AK website and the SA thread.

Batch #2

I'm trying to upload the rest of the photo's but get all kind of bla bla regarding attachment space limits.

• Like 1

Last leg course wrecked amazing race!

Am I the only one to think that Dongfeng sailing a completely different course on the last leg ruined the whole race. Certainly did for me.

Boats reliability,  especially the sails, was amazing in the conditions.  Crew resilience totally unbelievable. 

However when everything to play for in the final hours and all the leaders poised for a great showdown, the coastal passage taken by Donfeng (albeit a daring choice and totally legal) made the final day a travesty.

I would be very pissed off if I was on Mapfre or Brunel that all the hard work was blown by the failure of the race organisation to set a fair and equitable course (again not taking anything away from Dongfeng for the brave decision).

Anybody else feel cheated?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, winchfodder said:

Last leg course wrecked amazing race! 

Am I the only one to think that Dongfeng sailing a completely different course on the last leg ruined the whole race. How? Any of the other 4 boats that did not choose that course had that option and chose not to do so. Certainly did for me. So?

Boats reliability,  especially the sails, was amazing in the conditions.  Crew resilience totally unbelievable. 

However when everything to play for in the final hours and all the leaders poised for a great showdown, the coastal passage taken by Donfeng (albeit a daring choice and totally legal) made the final day a travesty.  See comment above. Your argument goes not make sense. 

I would be very pissed off if I was on Mapfre or Brunel that all the hard work was blown by the failure of the race organisation to set a fair and equitable course (again not taking anything away from Dongfeng for the brave decision). See above comments. 

Anybody else feel cheated? Not me. 

• Like 1

Man, pity I had to forgo to see the finish, but ala.
What a nail biting finish... A pity for Bekking but the best won. A 3 and 4 point lead for DF on 2nd and 3rd.
Looked if we would have one discard: (as happens in regattas, just curiosity of me)
DF; 69 Mapfre; 66 Bru: 67
So no change in winner. Man, Bru must hate its two times only 2 points results.

I hope that Bouwe Bekking if he quids he will help Tienpont to get ready for next race.

So Carolijn Brouwer is now the first woman to win a VOR. Nice. I think she even lives in Scheveningen, finishing like that in her hometown...

I do not feel cheated by the course, it could have been islands for instance, same problem.

• Like 1