Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

3 hours ago, moody frog said:

Yup, that's very surprising to say the least.

2 days later one has to flip through a number of pages of "Ouest France" and "Le Telegramme" (whose subsidiary runs the Dong Feng program !!) to find a small article.

And that's a race won by French skippers in 2 of the last 3 editions........

May talk a lot about jornos being in the hands (sic) of the usual suspects' P.R officers

Yes I was really surprised that the victory didn't even get mentionned in Le monde (some short articles in Le Figaro, nothing in Liberation apparently), and nothing on TV, if I remember well Cammas made the evening news on TV when he won, ok there was the stop in Lorient, but still ..

Difficult to understand why the acceptance or open welcoming of women in The Race is so hard fought.  Still!  

Sometimes you think we’ve come far but watching the news reminds us we still have one big foot in the cave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, terrafirma said:

After listening to the opinions of the skippers and the injection of women into the crews can't say I was left confident. Other than Witty being honest nobody else said Jack Shit.! 

I have championed the Witt/Scally campaign since the beginning and I'm parking the Fish tragedy as it should for any subjective response in case anyone is into flame mode.

Witty didn't say what he should have said, but totally understandable why he didn't. But what he did say was complete bullshit.

Comparing his campaign to Dee's in terms of either youth promotion or women is crap. Look at the ages, gender mix and look at the offshore experience on both teams. They are like chalk and cheese. 

Witty simply said that to disguise the simple fact he had no idea going into this race what was required to be competitive and has ended up on the scoreboard accordingly beside TTOP. In fact I regard his comments as a slight of TTOP's improvement on the water. The reality is Scally has shown no demonstrable improvement since Alicante, other than being able to keep up.

Witty had Parko on onboard, a youngster from on board Abu Dhabi and the only one with "on deck VO65"  experience as a sounding board. There wasn't one high end AC/Olympic micro gain sailor on  board. It was in effect a normal semi professional crew who  have had a life changing experience and most like their skipper probably won't front up again. If Ian Walker was honest he would probably admit Abu Dhabi would be in the last half of this fleet this time around in terms of quantifing the leap made in this edition by persons on board. Witty's comments disguise this reality.

Do I expect all teams to be of the same calibre, no I don't. Do I expect people running the show to be at least circumspect about where they end up on the leaderboard, yes I do.

Professionals in this business say jack shit for obvious reasons, particularly  those who have done it  before and keep coming back. Witty simply talked Witty speak, entertaining as it always is.

Insightful as to the future and what someone maybe contemplating what is involved as either a sponsor or competitor, sorry but Witty's words were not worth a cracker and far from honest.

• Like 2

Slight but semi-related thread drift:

A woman named Aseel Al Hanal from Saudi Arabia drove an F1 car (a 2012 Renault) for a lap of the Le Cestelert circuit  prior to the race on the day a ban on women driving in that Gulf kingdom ended. She said afterwards "...[t]he most important thing I am looking forward to is to start seeing the next generation young [Saudi} girls trying motorsports careers." (New York Times)

5 hours ago, moody frog said:

Yup, that's very surprising to say the least.

2 days later one has to flip through a number of pages of "Ouest France" and "Le Telegramme" (whose subsidiary runs the Dong Feng program !!) to find a small article.

And that's a race won by French skippers in 2 of the last 3 editions........

May talk a lot about jornos being in the hands (sic) of the usual suspects' P.R officers

And that is in western Brittany, in eastern Brittany it will just be Ouest-France and in the rest of France (apart from a few areas like Montparnasse in Paris where you can buy the Breton papers) it will be no coverage at all.

My last dumb question on this thread . .  

During the split, if DF was sailing in water that shallow . . two meters or even one and a half I believe . . 

wouldn't that have put them in breaking surf? 

Great event, hats off to all the sailors & support staffs. 

47 minutes ago, Panoramix said:

And that is in western Brittany, in eastern Brittany it will just be Ouest-France and in the rest of France (apart from a few areas like Montparnasse in Paris where you can buy the Breton papers) it will be no coverage at all.

il y a eu quelques articles dans l'équipe aussi, et dans Sud Ouest

2 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

During the split, if DF was sailing in water that shallow . . two meters or even one and a half I believe . . 

wouldn't that have put them in breaking surf?

2 m down to 50 centimeters (margin) below nominal draft (keel not canted hanging down) basically they where following the 10 m contour on an ever changing (uncharted) seabed. Around midday that day the low high water in the middel of the isles was at ca. 13:00 which should add at most about 90 cm that day (moon on the other side of the earth)  The sand is hard but the inclination very easy so minimal risk is sanding down paint. Biggest risk is being slowed down so much by dragging over the bottom that you can't overcome pressure to leeward from waves and wind.  Before high water flood will push you up the beach ,the good then is depth will increase all the time.. after high water ebb would carry you off, the bad is depth is decreasing all the time.  So they definitely  where willing and ready (as they should) to offer the port dagger board. Always ready to hoist it up as first glance of dragging or striking, then heel the boat to lift the keel.   I do advise to use a dutch side boarder with a (typical)  flat 2 inch steel bottom on your first trials.     

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Free..but no amount of money gets you past yours.

Hahahahahaaaaaa.

Bragging about numbers when no one pays!

You would get more than that with

image.png.6229dfbec9b575fb57007cb2a2992bde.png

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Admirals said:

I do advise to use a dutch side boarder

Nice post but a “side boarder” will get you the IKEA catalogue when you google that. Leeboard is the English word.

It’s also a nice way to find out that you in the shallows. I once was as a student at the helm of our 23 meter one-off Groninger tjalk Pollux at the Waddenzee with light winds when the leeboard came up during the low tide. Our draft was a whopping 60 centimeters (yep you read that right) but we did not got stuck in the sand :D. Raising the leeboard was enough to continue our journey over the slack water or wantij in Dutch between the islands. 

A 4 meter keel is very, very unhandy in almost all Dutch waters and will get you no where except stuck until the KNRM tows you of the sandbank :rolleyes:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Hahahahahaaaaaa.

Bragging about numbers when no one pays!

You would get more than that with

image.png.6229dfbec9b575fb57007cb2a2992bde.png

FFS if I block someone they keep popping up. It seems there is no cut-off on the negative rep score in these forums.  Even when it hits the likeliness of the Mariana Trench. Sigh. Back to ignore again. See you in 3 months or so. Go for the -1.000 I would advise, you are nearly there. Children ask for negative attention when they do not get positive attention enough. I cannot fix your youth as I am not a shrink nor a drugs dealer, and feel pity for you. * Out *

I'd like to add to the general sentiment and thank the many contributors here for your informed, often one-eyed, and amusing commentary over the last 8 months. Too many to list - you know who you are.

This edition of the VOR has been quite incredible and I hope that the new ownership can take this momentum and carry it forward to 2021. Only time will tell and I'm sure there will plenty of biased opinion right here as announcements are made.

I feel a little deflated since the finish as the VOR tracker had become such a part of my daily routine that I feel like something's missing now. I've certainly got a lot more done at work this week.

Finally, I'd like to acknowledge Fish one more time. What a lovely man. You are not forgotten.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, yl75 said:

The media coverage has been extremely low in France for this victory, not sure why, ok there is the world cup and Caudrelier is much less known than Cammas, but almost nothing in the press, nothing on TVmain channels  I think (not sure).

How about the US ? UK ?

Front page and national TV in NZL - all about how Charles spoiled the party for Pete and Blair. Ha, ha.

Still, Stu and Daryl were aboard DongFeng, right! ;)

• Like 1

Ha.  Sounds similar to what I posted upthread.

Leg 11 Strategic Review – Showdown

Mark Chisnell explains...

Late Decision
It was MAPFRE that had a late change of heart, and in doing so, I think they probably lost the Volvo Ocean Race.

It’s not the decision…
Sometimes, it’s not the decision that counts, it’s making the decision in a timely manner. MAPFRE had the Volvo Ocean Race trophy in the palm of their hands. All they had to do to close their fingers around it was make their minds up early, offshore or inshore? If they had committed to either route early, it’s very likely that they would have won. It was the late change of heart that cost them the title.

Perfect hindsight
It’s always easy afterwards, and it’s important to put MAPFRE’s late decision to turn right and go offshore into context. It’s everyone’s worse nightmare, leading a major race with two competitors for the overall title safely behind you… and then they split and go opposite ways on the last leg.

It was probably as much about the psychology as it was about the weather routing calculations. MAPFRE had been chasing Dongfeng for the whole leg until passing them a few hours previously. They could be forgiven for thinking that they had put them away.

In contrast, they had been chased and closed down by Team Brunel for most of the leg, and not just this leg, but for most of the last four legs. Team Brunel had sailed past MAPFRE in the last few miles of Leg 10, and done it just a few miles from where they were now having to decide who to cover...

History will record
The memory of Team Brunel overtaking them in Leg 10 will have weighed very heavily on MAPFRE’s decision making process. And of course, no one at that point could possibly have predicted whether inshore would actually turn out to be faster than offshore, or vice versa. History will record that MAPFRE chose wrongly, that they should have stayed with Dongfeng Race Team and cruised home to a comfortable and what would have been an equally well-deserved victory.

I hope it will also record that this fleet, and these three teams in particular – Dongfeng Race Team, MAPFRE and Team Brunel – have given us one of the best Volvo Ocean Races that I can remember. And for that we should all be grateful; for the talent, the blood, sweat and tears that they have spilt across five oceans to entertain us, thank you.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/12032_Leg-11-Strategic-Review-Showdown.html

Xabi: "I'm sure I'll try again"

06/26/208 |

MAPFRE_180624_MMuina_4340-1.jpg?w=2160

The democratic pattern, the pattern that he lets do, the pattern he preaches with the example, the boss who asks for something and is fulfilled because he is the first to do what is needed ... Respected, admired and loved, as a boss and as a person. The 'Volvo' has ended and today we talk with Xabi Fernández, EL PATRÓN. Yes, with capital letters.

How was the first night on land after finishing the Volvo Ocean Race? 
All right. It's a little weird. The day of arrival was a hard day, the next a little better and today also a little better. We are aware that we have done a good campaign and we must be happy, although it is hard when it gets out of hand being so close. I think that little by little we will be better.

The last stage was really all a la carte. 45,000 miles around the world to be decided in the last 800 as they say, how have they taken that pressure and how has the team responded? 
As always, very good. The truth is that it has been one of the best stages we have done until, obviously, we made a decision that later did not work out. But hey, he was very, very close. If the wind had been in the direction we had to be we would have been ahead, but there are things that are very difficult to control but well, we went back and forth, we caught and went to the Dongfeng a couple of times and we had a fight very, very nice although the result then did not help.

As for the crew, it has been an incredible three-day marathon in which no one has taken off their boots, so very well.

How successful has the weather been in this stage? 
The weather and the part have not been bad. The fact that the wind comes from 320º instead of 340º is not that the part is wrong, since it is never exact. The fact is that when you're playing the race for a mile up or a mile down that is something that matters a lot, but not for that you can blame the party to send us somewhere else. In other stages, as in the Doldrums in the Pacific, it is true that you can not trust anything, but here there has been no problem with it.

What is your assessment of the second position of MAPFRE around the world? 
Man, I believe that very good as a team as for me personally. I think we have finished here in The Hague all of us who started in Alicante, both in the ground team and in the crew, and that is already a great achievement. We had a good time sailing and the balance of the result is very good.

What would you say to those who have asked so many times why MAPFRE has not rotated the crew? 
Let people do what they want, and teams are organized as they want. We have a team with a couple of substitutes who are very good, but in the end if the starting team is fit and motivated enough, why are you going to change?

I think the fatigue is accumulating but it is also true that at the stops it rests well and you get ready for the next stage, and I think the mistakes that we have been able to make during the race are not because people were tired or because there have not been rotations. The reality is that nobody wants to get off the boat and people have been very motivated. This is a regatta that went very well throughout the course and that helps people to be encouraged.

His colleague Pablo Arrarte, head of the guard, declared on arrival in The Hague that " without any doubt " this has been the best project around the world that he has ever done, do you agree? 
I also believe that it has been the best campaign we have done since 2005 when we started with Movistar, then the Telephones and MAPFRE in the previous edition.

We have done a good preparation, we have formed a balanced team, we have won three stages and we have been able to win around the world until the last day, so I think that for all the work that has been done and for the team that we have had yes that has been the best campaign we have done so far.

At the press conference of patrons held in Gothenburg he answered without hesitation a second he would do another 'Volvo Ocean Race' the day after finishing this, do you still think the same? 
I'm sure I'll try again. I do not know when or with whom, but I think so.

In the end we like this more than we say and this 'Volvo' has actually gone very well. It has not been like in others in which maybe you arrive at the end with more desire to finish but we have stayed a bit with the feeling that, if there had been one more stage, we could have another opportunity. So, if you can, we'll repeat.

In the end it is great, you are haggling with friends and against friends, and although there are times that are bad the regatta is usually very good.

During the last stage, the second day, Willy Altadill said in a video that, in addition to MAPFRE, if there was a team that deserved to win the race that was Dongfeng, do you think the same? 
Yes, I agree, but the reality is that if anyone wins, they would have deserved it as well. After nine months you can not say that someone deserves it less. It's like in football, after 38 games wins that has to win and it is not said that if the third day have had a penalty or not, because they all have had penalties, because we equal. We have had problems, perhaps some more than others, but if a team was so deserving of the victory it could have won before the last stage, just as we could have done, and that means it has been very close.

Dongfeng has done a very good campaign like us, with a previous preparation and a very solid crew. They with a focus pulling more than the rotations and we did not, but we have been fighting at all stages until Brunel joined the fight sharing leadership, although in this last stage he was weak again.

What is waiting for Xabi Fernández now? 
Go home, rest and charge batteries; and see what comes to the future.

http://desafiomapfre.com/14085-2/

• Like 3

Robert Greenhalgh – MAPFRE watch captain:
There was very shallow water inshore of a wind farm off the Danish coast. We were not happy to sail there in 20-30kts with a <0.5m of water under the keel. We wanted the Danish coast (inshore route), and we presumed Dongfeng would follow us to the west of wind farm.

But they didn’t and took the shallow option risk which meant they were now 8-10 miles ahead of us. At that point our only option was to then go west (offshore) and hope that way paid as the latest weather suggested. We were well aware that we didn’t get to choose our tactics. We would cover our closest rival and the third boat would split.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/06/26/when-its-for-all-the-marbles/

• Like 3

20 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

I forgot to say I would like to pass on enormous thanks to Renny for her UTube compilations and others for their linkies. I prefer to watch stuff on a big screen internet connected Smart TV ( haven't got to the stage of throwing cold water over myself while watching).

Only trouble is I don't have such a screen at home, but have one on my boat. I have spent a lot of this race on my boat under the pretext of servicing/fixing shit for my next expedition. For the last 8 months I have done diddly squat in that regard.

So thanks Renny and UTube I'm fuckin behind time.

I love it when you are on the boat. The twins do too :) No worries, I got your back.

6 hours ago, Herman said:

FFS if I block someone they keep popping up. It seems there is no cut-off on the negative rep score in these forums.  Even when it hits the likeliness of the Mariana Trench. Sigh. Back to ignore again. See you in 3 months or so. Go for the -1.000 I would advise, you are nearly there. Children ask for negative attention when they do not get positive attention enough. I cannot fix your youth as I am not a shrink nor a drugs dealer, and feel pity for you. * Out *

Ignoring is the best option if you have nothing to contribute, that way the content that you don't like continues unchallenged.

The worst part is that you are always tempted to peek, just to see what the poster you ignored is up to now.  It's more annoying than just reading what they post!

A late post: finish of the next 3: Akzo Mapfre and Brunel

2105831184_FinishAKZO.thumb.jpg.bd7dc6d3aeed40bd39261f7e9c138cd4.jpg1188090172_FinishMapfre.thumb.jpg.93823a876f995951922327a57ea04af6.jpg44647182_FinishBrunel.thumb.jpg.c1ead571a0c5d5f0e2db118d8bbb5bc9.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, random said:

Ignoring is the best option if you have nothing to contribute, that way the content that you don't like continues unchallenged.

That makes a lot of sense in troll world..just wish you were not afraid of heights.

images (55).jpeg

6 hours ago, southerncross said:

Robert Greenhalgh – MAPFRE watch captain:
There was very shallow water inshore of a wind farm off the Danish coast. We were not happy to sail there in 20-30kts with a <0.5m of water under the keel. We wanted the Danish coast (inshore route), and we presumed Dongfeng would follow us to the west of wind farm.

But they didn’t and took the shallow option risk which meant they were now 8-10 miles ahead of us. At that point our only option was to then go west (offshore) and hope that way paid as the latest weather suggested. We were well aware that we didn’t get to choose our tactics. We would cover our closest rival and the third boat would split.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/06/26/when-its-for-all-the-marbles/

NO comprende, so lets think, he is not mad. Charts shown there was 10 meters depth at least at Horns Reef. So 10m minus 0.5 meters is 9.5m. So draft of VOR. 5 meters. 9.5 minus 5 is 4.5 meters. So you need 9 meters wave from crest to trough. Nah, cant be it. Maybe swell and effects of surf. Maybe its that, or they had more precise numbers than the Navionics chart I looked at.
I sailed there a few times and it can be a bit rough there, but not extreme, just a bit rougher.

If I recap from Brunel and Dongfeng on routing, Brunel trusted a French model the best, it said 12 miles advantage outside.
THe Dong used Hirlam and a few others, Herman The Forum Router said only HIrlam gave advantage of 12 mile to inside.
So a difference of 24 Miles (or was it minutes.. not sure.)

Arrived on site. Lordy, this is huge! Twice the size of the Göteborg village, lots more activities, and a great location on the beach. Impressive.

Only the media center resembles shanty town :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LeoV said:

Visitor numbers on Sunday, 88,000. Not bad.

3500.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

• Downvote 1

My only close up shot on Sunday, when Akzo came close by our ship to say hello to the many fans on board.IMG_20180627_133005_913.thumb.jpg.6cd1821c18861dc58e8def77661f5731.jpg

PS.   Renny, my grandpa will be at the Sailors Terrace later this afternoon, and he says he would like to meet you. Beware, he is a bit of a character. Check PM for contact details plse.

^^^ Randumb questioning Hague footfall numbers.. Randumb you and Trumpy share a lot of things..but my guess is he has a bigger dick and can pay the rent.

unnamed (3).jpg

One more, Martine smiling and looking a bit lost on the foredeck and perhaps wondering what will be next.

IMG_20180627_134850_118.thumb.jpg.d6d6c11ffd034a6bd6c33fcccd54c93a.jpg

My demented Grandpa says he wants to party with all 22 girls tonight, and thinks they were only on board for entertainment. He mumbles about the Vulva Race, the poor bugger!

• Like 1

Random loves to prove time and time again that he knows 50% of fuck all.

I was in the village on arrivals day and it took me 20+ minutes to get from one side to the other.

88,000? I wouldn't doubt it for a minute and that didn't include those on the western mole or the sand dunes behind the village.

Any you know what? The village has remained busy since, not at the day 1 levels thankfully as they bordered on uncomfortable but now the schools are out and a significant number of children are also here.

And the atmosphere is also warm and friendly too.

Den Haag has clearly done a great job with, not only the village but also promoting the same.

Just my tuppence worth but certainly more than a little better informed than some naysayer who needs to take his meds more often.

• Like 7

I'm gutted, hope to meet you guys tomorrow...

Anyway, I can only agree with @shanghaisailor and others: The village was more crowded today (Wednesday!) than on the weekend in Göteborg (not to mention Lorient in the last two editions). 
Lots of children in groups, well, it was children's day today, lots of sponsor and guest entertainment, lots of entertainment for the general public.
A gigantic opty regatta or practice was going on, I haven't seen so many small boats in one place ever. Too cute!

Food and drinks are rather expensive, quite normal at an event I would say, but water is for free, like in Göteborg, if you have your own bottle.

The mood is special...
Since most of the pressure is gone, except for TtToP and Scally, it's more like a sailing festival. Totally relaxed, the sailors are approachable for selfies (no me, haha!) and a quick word. Again, all is very, very, very relaxed. People get together to celebrate one of the best sports in the world.

I still have to check my photos and hope, there's something to post here.
Tomorrow we'll check out the huge park that's just around the corner, as I'm a garden freak too.

• Like 3

Some impressions

The media center - shanty town:20180627_120126.jpg.b3105070b160e2ad7483391bde338d94.jpg

The village from far:
20180627_133121.thumb.jpg.530da9d7a4321ba7d657ecbf989ce678.jpg

"Barcolana" with Opties:
DSC01280.thumb.JPG.0f124d990e66322a3b9b3214a4761945.JPG

A sponsor?
DSC01087.thumb.JPG.ec48d9c3e40ce12623a193dcb8f5ee3b.JPG

Dock talk:
DSC01092.thumb.JPG.ad87435dae67ba815bcc7e92d2d94e04.JPG

• Like 3

Dock talk again:
DSC01097.thumb.JPG.aa198dd35c58886df71f5c17d9ecd268.JPG

On the way to the match race (shot with mobile phone, apologies)
20180627_133502.thumb.jpg.40a4d3f095b3f017b138a3f6c3fbe04e.jpg

Big and small Brunel:
DSC01291.thumb.JPG.0817b424f7a98dccd63ebe530dd796df.JPG

Match racing:
DSC01310.thumb.JPG.084baf833c863e09a329bd27ea2872ec.JPG

DSC01169.thumb.JPG.d50d8ca6422f7030a176f0bf8f5226ce.JPG

• Like 3

Lovely pics, who won? :)

Just now, Elisa said:

Lovely pics, who won? :)

This is going to be totally embarrassing now.
1st race: Brunel
2nd: Akzo
3rd: ??? (we left to watch football/soccer)...   ...   ...   ...   ... Hit me, if you want!

8 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

3rd: ??? (we left to watch football/soccer)...   ...   ...   ...   ... Hit me, if you want!

:lol:.... was it that good to watch?! haha, well who thought, there is life after the VOR! :lol:

Edit: the soccer must have been torture for you as well....:unsure:

1 minute ago, Elisa said:

:lol:.... was it that good to watch?! haha, well who thought, there is life after the VOR! :lol:

It was not worth it, as it looks like Germany will be going home.
Not, that I mind too much, and if I were alone, I would have stayed for the Akzo/Brunel show. Shrug :wacko:

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Only the media center resembles shanty town :)

I was there on Sunday, first time ever in a media Center so I can not compare. Had a drink with the www.zeilhelden.nl team after the finish coverage was over. But finding it was hard without any signs so I walked past the MC and had to backtrack. 

Coverage of Scheveningen (in Dutch) is been done the whole week via https://www.facebook.com/zeilhelden/ 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LeoV said:

NO comprende, so lets think, he is not mad. Charts shown there was 10 meters depth at least at Horns Reef. So 10m minus 0.5 meters is 9.5m. So draft of VOR. 5 meters. 9.5 minus 5 is 4.5 meters. So you need 9 meters wave from crest to trough. Nah, cant be it. Maybe swell and effects of surf. Maybe its that, or they had more precise numbers than the Navionics chart I looked at.
I sailed there a few times and it can be a bit rough there, but not extreme, just a bit rougher.

If I recap from Brunel and Dongfeng on routing, Brunel trusted a French model the best, it said 12 miles advantage outside.
THe Dong used Hirlam and a few others, Herman The Forum Router said only HIrlam gave advantage of 12 mile to inside.
So a difference of 24 Miles (or was it minutes.. not sure.)

My thoughts exactly, I also backtracked the tracker. That windfarm is a lot more south and Mapfre went SE before DFRT was at the windfarm. Also, the chart shows a 20 meter depth contour line to which both DFRT and Mapfre were sailing outside when Mapfre went SE. So the story about the windfarm and the shallows there contributing to going SE seem fetched, at least.

Regarding the weather models, Pascal said to me he had used both Arpege and Hirlam. Maybe @shanghaisailor can pop the million dollar question to Capey if he knows Hirlam and used it for the last leg. And if he used it, why TBRU went to the Off-Friesland TSS.

Arpege has a nice 0,1 degrees resolution for NW Europe. But is less detailed then the Hirlam model, which has the highest resolution I know for the Channel and the North Sea, a 2,5 km resolution. Gribs provided free of charge for both models at the links.

306F9A7D-E61B-45C2-8B0F-789363637FFC.jpeg

Herman,

He said they did want to go TO an area with 0.5m under keel, so they never went there to find out :)

Bouwe said in the Dutch interview they looked at a few models and Brunel thought as Dong had a French skipper they would have followed the Arperge one, which gave 10 minutes advantage, but Brunel sticked to another model they used around the race and trusted that one more. (so no Hirlam ?)
Around minute 31 minutes in

https://www.nporadio1.nl/nos-met-het-oog-op-morgen/onderwerpen/460968-waarom-bouwe-bekking-alles-opzij-zet-voor-zeilen

So my recap was a bit wrong, as usual.

• Like 1

For the Dutchies, Carolijn Brouwer van Dong Feng en Annemieke Bes SHK bij Jinek 22.45
For the rest, those two sailors as guests in a popular tv talkshow. Discrimination, no men, just kidding.

Interview;
1300 UTC last position fleet report Dongfeng, charles announced to crew, we are gooing to loose by 10 miles, went down again, 20 minutes later pops up again, looked better to details and announced, we are going to win.
After 1300 UTC they knew only the position of the other boats when the helicopter left them and flew out to the sea.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LeoV said:

For the Dutchies, Carolijn Brouwer van Dong Feng en Annemieke Bes SHK bij Jinek 22.45
For the rest, those two sailors as guests in a popular tv talkshow. Discrimination, no men, just kidding.

Thanks for that Leo. Caroline and Annemieke were very good and not boring like those politicians early on in the program. Here is what it looked like:

IMG_20180628_003029_760.thumb.jpg.395c9b511362648c90dcaae1dd42fb18.jpgIMG_20180628_002833_390.thumb.jpg.b88669cc64caa09d2b92e176464fb155.jpg

I like how Chinese the winning Chinese Team is.

On 6/26/2018 at 2:10 PM, Admirals said:

2 m down to 50 centimeters (margin) below nominal draft (keel not canted hanging down) basically they where following the 10 m contour on an ever changing (uncharted) seabed. Around midday that day the low high water in the middel of the isles was at ca. 13:00 which should add at most about 90 cm that day (moon on the other side of the earth)  The sand is hard but the inclination very easy so minimal risk is sanding down paint. Biggest risk is being slowed down so much by dragging over the bottom that you can't overcome pressure to leeward from waves and wind.  Before high water flood will push you up the beach ,the good then is depth will increase all the time.. after high water ebb would carry you off, the bad is depth is decreasing all the time.  So they definitely  where willing and ready (as they should) to offer the port dagger board. Always ready to hoist it up as first glance of dragging or striking, then heel the boat to lift the keel.   I do advise to use a dutch side boarder with a (typical)  flat 2 inch steel bottom on your first trials.     

The in an unbelievable amount of bullshit packed into a single post

Reality is that it was going to be almost a complete toss-up between the 3 top boats.  Dongfeng knew that they would be in trouble in a flat out speed contest with MF and BR and threw in a hail Mary by going inside - pretty much a forced hand - including a bit of gambling with a possible touch of sand - that area is well charted but it is a long stretch of shallow water and some good swell so definitely a bit of a chance.  I am 100% sure ALL the teams had put some serious thought into that route.  MF was in a pickle having to choose and chose to go west with BR - obviously betting that it was the right choice - I would probably have made the same choice

Personally I would have loved to see Brunel take the top podium place as I have sailed with and against Bouwe and with his longstanding Volvo involvement he is most definitely due to hoist the pickle dish.  

In the end, the hail Mary worked out and DF won the race fair and square - congratulations.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Brunel winning 3 to 

• Like 1

Fuck, are they still squeezing this lemon?

image.png.e57b6f097d36537782924e45b011e26a.png

• Downvote 1

21 hours ago, random said:
On 6/26/2018 at 8:43 PM, LeoV said:

Visitor numbers on Sunday, 88,000. Not bad.

3500.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

Fake News is fucking everywhere these days.

I still like how Chinese the Chinese team is.  Right from the management on down, completely Chinese.

Awesome stuff.

Doesn't look like anyone has posted Nic Douglas's, aka Sailorgirl, interview with Witty here. So here it is. 

Bit of a different perspective on a couple of incidents, particularly the farce behind the scenes of THAT video.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, albanyguy said:

Doesn't look like anyone has posted Nic Douglas's, aka Sailorgirl, interview with Witty here. So here it is

Thanks Albany. The Shang even gets a mention. Nic taking a couple of Randumb's grubby posts here about the Fish incident and asking Witty for a comment would have been enlightening? As the paint in that room peeled my guess is he simply would have said "next".

"Next" is chasing Rico/WOXI down come 27 December. That and not to mention Comanche is easier said than done, notwithstanding the money/prep missng in the past and the learning curve everyone on board Scally has got out of this edition.

This race is a great nursery for the future of top end offshore sailing, male and female.

39 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Albany. The Shang even gets a mention. Nic taking a couple of Randumb's grubby posts here about the Fish incident and asking Witty for a comment would have been enlightening? As the paint in that room peeled my guess is he simply would have said "next".

"Next" is chasing Rico/WOXI down come 27 December. That and not to mention Comanche is easier said than done, notwithstanding the money/prep missng in the past and the learning curve everyone on board Scally has got out of this edition.

This race is a great nursery for the future of top end offshore sailing, male and female.

Jack - she's just posted one of Sophie too B)

I'll let you do the honours of posting it here 

41 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nic taking a couple of Randumb's grubby posts here about the Fish incident and asking Witty for a comment would have been enlightening?

Well someone fucked up.  Don't the normally ask the PiC?

6 hours ago, Christian said:

Reality is that it was going to be almost a complete toss-up between the 3 top boats.  Dongfeng knew that they would be in trouble in a flat out speed contest with MF and BR and threw in a hail Mary by going inside - pretty much a forced hand - including a bit of gambling with a possible touch of sand - that area is well charted but it is a long stretch of shallow water and some good swell so definitely a bit of a chance.  I am 100% sure ALL the teams had put some serious thought into that route. 

In the end, the hail Mary worked out and DF won the race fair and square - congratulations.

I think its not really that much of a hail Mary, they 2d to MAp and way more dedicated into this route before Map turned West, looked at it and went for it, they would not know if the others took the other route.
That would be a good question to ask DF, when they noticed that. For the rest I agree

40 minutes ago, LeoV said:

I think its not really that much of a hail Mary, they 2d to MAp and way more dedicated into this route before Map turned West, looked at it and went for it, they would not know if the others took the other route.
That would be a good question to ask DF, when they noticed that. For the rest I agree

Seemed to me Vila was the only uncommitted one dancing down the middle..maybe too far right of the Dong to keep burning them off being a bit square going left, maybe more worried about Yellow even though they had to be a bit tight going right. The updated forecast tipped the balance, did get in front of Yellow, but offshore didn't quite work out as forecast. 

Luck of the draw.

No Hail Mary's, Pascal and Charles are a bit more scientific than that.

There was a weather system (high pressure) coming up the English Channel.

2 days before I was on the Solent and the wind dropped pretty quickly and when Pascal made the move east I could see the sense of it.

Add to that the wind angle on the boats taking the west route would be more downwind while the east gave a reaching course plus any sea breeze would add to the gradient wind there.

At times there was a 6 knot speed difference and at one point a double figure VMG advantage.

It was close but with Brunel 3.9Nm behind not that close.

But what a time to win a leg.

I was there, on the water and when DF crossed the line Ak and Br were almost dots in the distance.

Just sayin'

SS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, random said:

Well someone fucked up.  Don't the normally ask the PiC?

Try two investigations one voluntary, one statutory. How many more do you want?

4 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Doesn't look like anyone has posted Nic Douglas's, aka Sailorgirl, interview with Witty here. So here it is. 

Bit of a different perspective on a couple of incidents, particularly the farce behind the scenes of THAT video.

Must feel good to have the gag removed.

12 hours ago, ASP said:

Maybe russell can comment on where that tri ended up?

12 hours ago, olsurfer said:

It's in my backyard.

This is from the R2AK thread, but it is one of the many things that is great about SA. 

6 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Hmmm. Great interview. Empathetic but unflinching interview style draws some real answers out of Witty.

Quite Simply...........IMHO, Volvo NEEDS TO HIRE NIC DOUGLAS for the next Ocean Race. Some of Sailor Girl's interviews before and after the race were among the best of this edition. She  brings something special and unique to sailing journalism. She comes across as this very happy personality that can ask serious questions and seems really knowledgeable. I would love to see her on the commentary team next time around.

Thanks Albany for posting and bringing this to our attention.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Mambo Kings said:

Hmmm. Great interview. Empathetic but unflinching interview style draws some real answers out of Witty.

Quite Simply...........IMHO, Volvo NEEDS TO HIRE NIC DOUGLAS for the next Ocean Race. Some of Sailor Girl's interviews before and after the race were among the best of this edition. She  brings something special and unique to sailing journalism. She comes across as this very happy personality that can ask serious questions and seems really knowledgeable. I would love to see her on the commentary team next time around.

I agree. She does not ask, for example, questions that some of the other VOR reporters did that make me cringe with embarrassment (i.e. "how do you feel now that you made a stupid decision which caused you to lose the race?' - that is a slight exaggeration but it's not that far off). Sailor Girl's were predictible but relevant and fair, and she knows about sailing. I recently listened to her commentary of the dramatic finish of the  2017 Sydney-Hobart race between Comanche and WOXI and while in that context she seems to be more distracted and annoying, she does know her stuff. 

VOR, or whatever it may be called in the future, should use Conrad Coleman more, as well as Richard Mason, in a race commentary role, along with Sally Barkley and Annie Lush, instead of Niall and Andy. Conrad can solo, or along with Richard, the Daily Show and Quick Fix as well. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

should use Conrad Coleman more

Conrad was a highlight of the event every time he had an opportunity to contribute.  His use of props to explain some concepts was inventive and entertaining.  Most importantly, he had a way of explaining basics of sailing and navigation to non-sailors in a way that wasn't boring for experienced sailors.  That's really difficult to do, but it seemed to come naturally for him.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Conrad was a highlight of the event every time he had an opportunity to contribute.  His use of props to explain some concepts was inventive and entertaining.  Most importantly, he had a way of explaining basics of sailing and navigation to non-sailors in a way that wasn't boring for experienced sailors.  That's really difficult to do, but it seemed to come naturally for him.

Like this :

• Like 1

The program for Scheveningen has been cancelled for tonight due to an accident involving 2 RIBs in the harbour entrance. This after consultation with the municipality Den Haag. One fatality. Five man were missing but retrieved from the water. Full services alerted; police; the fire brigade including divers, SAR helicopter, ambulances and SAR boats. The cause of the accident is unknown.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2232841/dode-door-aanvaring-tussen-twee-boten-in-scheveningen

4D1C3C80-1C3D-44A6-B649-D72303B4AAEE.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

Cheers Mambo. I'm sure she'd be prepared to cover some Viper races if you get in contact with her. No doubt she'd love a ride on one too. Would I be correct @sailorgirl218?

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Try two investigations one voluntary, one statutory. How many more do you want?

Two is enough to look into who fucked up.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

The program for Scheveningen has been cancelled for tonight due to an accident involving 2 RIBs in the harbour entrance. This after consultation with the municipality Den Haag. One fatality. Five man were missing but retrieved from the water. Full services alerted; police; the fire brigade including divers, SAR helicopter, ambulances and SAR boats. The cause of the accident is unknown.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/2232841/dode-door-aanvaring-tussen-twee-boten-in-scheveningen

We saw the fire engines, the helicopter, the coast guard/SAR boats go out. What a mess.
Press conference just started, Dutch Twitter: https://twitter.com/Newsroom070

• Like 2

19 hours ago, random said:

I like how Chinese the winning Chinese Team is.

Jiù xiàng rènhé zhíyè zúqiú duì yīyàng.

19 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Thanks for the info. Very sad ending to a happy day.

Indeed. According to the pressco one serious injured person in hospital. The police will investigate. Program for the remaining days could get changed. Mayor + VOR The Hague organisation are gutted.

14 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Thanks, good interview. I'm trying to work out why they flipped it - some kind of copyright issue with what's in the background?

14 hours ago, albanyguy said:

it of a different perspective on a couple of incidents, particularly the farce behind the scenes of THAT video.

Thanks for the find. Not much new there about the past. Lesson learned about prep being key, but had hoped he'd say something about other boats who started further back in the prep race.  Best part is the last 30 seconds:

"Whatever your opinion has been of the team in the past, it's not the same team turning up on Boxing Day" Looking forward to seeing if team development will be enough to overcome boat developments.

4 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Cheers Mambo. I'm sure she'd be prepared to cover some Viper races if you get in contact with her. No doubt she'd love a ride on one too. Would I be correct @sailorgirl218?

She would get  a ride on a dozen Viper640s any day she likes......open invitation!   Conrad too!

I understand that Sailorgirl is quite an accomplished sailor in her own right.

I think someone did ask her about the worlds in Perth but she had a prior commitment.  Otherwise she has bigger fish to fry than our local regattas. For the Worlds in Long Beach, I think PR is being done by someone local alongside Buttons Padin.  

But yeah.....she would do a crazy good job.  I just dont know how many people want to hear us lot being interviewed compared to Witty, Caudrelier, Burling, Spithill etc.

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Indeed. According to the pressco one serious injured person in hospital. The police will investigate. Program for the remaining days could get changed. Mayor + VOR The Hague organisation are gutted.

So sorry and sad to hear.  Our best wishes and condolences to everyone in situ

Statement regarding on-water accident off Race Village

June 28, 201819:19 UTC

We are saddened and concerned to learn of a serious accident Thursday evening between two boats on the waters off the Port of Scheveningen, adjacent to the Race Village.

No Volvo Ocean Race or team personnel were involved in the collision.

The Mayor of The Hague and local police confirmed at a press conference on Thursday night that the accident has resulted in one fatality. Three people have been taken to hospital, one in critical condition.

We send our condolences to the family and friends of those involved in the accident.

We are in contact with local emergency services and will support the local authorities on site in any way we can.

Because of the accident, the City decided to close the Race Village early on Thursday night and will make appropriate changes to programming for Friday.

---------

Pauline Krikke, Mayor of The Hague, said:

This evening a terrible accident took place in the Scheveningen harbour. Two boats collided. It concerns a steel motorboat and a so called RIB. On the RIB were eight people: seven guests and the driver. On the motorboat were three people.

The incident caused one casualty. The casualty has been identified. The police have informed the family of the casualty. My thoughts are in the first place with the casualty and the relatives. Today is a very sad day for them.

In addition, multiple people were injured. Three people were taken to the hospital, of which one is seriously injured. Seven people were taken care of on site.

With everything I have in me, I hope they will recover well. Victim support is available to support visitors, public and others if desired. Anyone who wishes to receive support, can go to the Port Office in Scheveningen.

Police and OM will investigate the cause and circumstances of the incident. We wait for the results. I don’t want to and I cannot react to questions regarding this.

The Volvo Ocean Race stopover has been a wonderful event, which The Hague and Scheveningen have enjoyed very much. But this accident throws a dark shadow on it.

For now, I like to thank all emergency services and everybody involved for their work. As soon as we know more, we will inform you.

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/12040_Statement-regarding-on-water-accident-off-Race-Village.html

18 hours ago, albanyguy said:

well done nic ! prolly the best witty interview ever done ! next time, let him take a pull off the glass before sticking the mic in his face ! well done !

Since Jack doesn't do Facebook I thought I'd embed the Sophie interview

There's also one of Carolijn Brouwer from Dongfeng, embedded below as well.

Nic also did interviews with Charles Caudrelier & Horace from Dongfeng, Blair Tuke & Rob Greenhalgh from Mapfre and Kyle Langford & Pete Burling from Brunel. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Since Jack doesn't do Facebook I thought I'd inbed the Sophie interview

There's also one of Carolijn Brouwer from Dongfeng, inbedded below as well.

Nic also did interviews with Charles Caudrelier & Horace from Dongfeng, Blair Tuke & Rob Greenhalgh from Mapfre and Kyle Langford & Pete Burling from Brunel. 

post them all please ???

VOR The Hague has posted a statement regarding the remaining activities. These will continu, adjusted. The "RIB experience" is cancelled for today. RIBs will still be used for transportation though. The music will be less exuberant. In advance of the concert tonight a 1 minute silence will be held out of respect for the victims and their families.

Source https://volvooceanracedenhaag.nl/update-ernstig-incident/