Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^^ Well Vice Admiral that maybe but I would trade it for a double digit IQ any day.

41 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ Good double act Mambo ..but which one are you ..the straight guy or the funny one..and who is writing the script??

I'm straight. You?

(and I hope you realize that with nothing much going on, a little friendly repartee passes the time.)

On board guests are scrapped for Leg 11

See point 11.20 in the most recent Notice of Race: http://volvooceanrace-img.s3.amazonaws.com/files/m47203_nor-2017-18-amendment-11-20180618.pdf

Saw it on a tweet this morning from the dutch journalist who was going to be onboard TBRU, according to him it's due to the strong wind in the forecast and the RO decided it was to risky

• Like 2

NNotice of Race 11.19 is still on but is the one month prior notice waived?  Witty was gonna take the boss with them..  that off too now..

A VIP or media guest, approved by the OA, may be carried in full on any leg of the course. The PIC (sea) shall submit a request to the RC in writing at least one month  before the start of the leg giving the guest’s name. The OA will not normally approve a current or past professional sailor as a guest for this activity. The guest will be required to have completed sea survival training approved by the OA

2 hours ago, JeronimoII said:

two days to go. How is forecast looking? breezy indeed?

The Danish forecast says 20-25 knots of wind from west, on the 21st. Not too bad? But might get worse later of course. It’s windy in general these days, our Tuesday night OD-racing was cancelled by the rc. 

• Like 1

Okay; spreadsheet tagging and describing are all caught up. One leg to go! I'm gonna try to stay on top of it so the descriptions are done in close to real-time for Leg 11.

• Like 5

So give me some info on The Hague / Scheveningen? Otherwise skip this post

Check the VOR official website (English version) for general info.

Check the local transportation company HTM for extra local transportation (trams/busses) (Dutch only - transgarble it yourself).

Check the HTM tickets available (also ticket apps available for smartphones)

Check Google maps for all transportation modes including public transportation.

Check the area map with transportation (pdf)

Check the Race Village map here (pdf)

If you must come by car, park it outside Scheveningen. Last edition I parked for the stopover visit at the World Forum which has a very large parking garage underneath. It's a 2,5 km walk (25 minutes) to the harbor. Or take a cab or Uber. See the local area map at the bottom. Address: World Forum, Churchillplein 10, 2517 JW Den Haag

Sleeping: I would try www.airbnb.com or their app. There are enough apartments and/or rooms available from EUR 59/night up to EUR 195/night close by. 

If you are coming by plane to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol, just take a train in the underground train station to The Hague, it's +/- 35 minutes. 

Eating: 1.100+ restaurants you can pick from and make a reservation here.

Drinking: I'm not local. But I would go to the centre of The Hague, for instance Ondernemersplein, Plein 25, 2511 CS Den Haag which is a nice square with restaurants, terrasses, trees etcetera. 

Things to do in The Hague: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188633-Activities-The_Hague_South_Holland_Province.html

Get a hang of the local slang in this video: https://youtu.be/SdD6CYRBi2Q

So knock yourself out and I hope to see you there!

Edited by Herman
Add Race Village map
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Potter said:

On board guests are no longer obligatory,  however some are still going.

Interesting, just checked the forecasts. Could be 20-ish for some parts in the first days. After that the wind dies down. I'll try to do a routing tomorrow. 

Quick routing with Squid and GFS 25 km resolution shows 30 knots south of Norway. And no wind at the finish. My guess is that Brunel could take the lead in the first part which is similar to the leg 10 North Sea passage. After which the red boats do their thing in less wind, and minimizing their DTL. Could be an early morning finish a the 24th. At that day the Race Village is opening. VOR could throw in an extra waypoint, but I hope that if they do that, they do it before the leg starts and not during the leg.

routing.png

Edited by Herman
Add routing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Potter said:

On board guests are no longer obligatory,  however some are still going.

How do we find out who is going to be an on board guest on what boat?

7 hours ago, Herman said:

So give me some info on The Hague / Scheveningen?

Herm you have misplaced your calling or you are a first class Concierge.

17 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

^^ Good double act Mambo ..but which one are you ..the straight guy or the funny one..and who is writing the script??

16 hours ago, Mambo Kings said:

I'm straight. You?

(and I hope you realize that with nothing much going on, a little friendly repartee passes the time.)

Mambo we can't both be straight.

A Double Act, or comic pairing is where humor is derived from the uneven relationship between two partners, usually of the same gender, age, ethnic origin and profession but drastically different in terms of personality or behavior.

One member of the duo, the straight man or stooge, is portrayed as reasonable and serious. The other one, the funny man or comic, is portrayed as less educated or less intelligent, silly, or unorthodox.

Now while I'm not happy about being the dumb silly bastard in this partnership, your job as the stooge is to accept being the butt of my jokes.

I also get paid more than you.

unnamed (6).gif

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Herm you have misplaced your calling or you are a first class Concierge.

Thank you. I just started at a new assignment in The Hague, what should make it easier to drop by after working hours.

Hundreds of volunteers for the organisation

• Like 2

What are the odds for a win from these boats, anyone care to pretend we are bookmakers? 

1. Mapfre $

2. Brunel $

3. Dong $

59 minutes ago, terrafirma said:

What are the odds for a win from these boats, anyone care to pretend we are bookmakers? 

1. Mapfre $

2. Brunel $

3. Dong $

Terra you are a frustrated Bookmaker. 

To be a good Bookmaker one needs to be on the ground... sources like Sophie's parents said to me, "you two can't get married you are older than us...and and we hear you have young twins already living in house making French toast and where Sophie's socks are older.. and to boot we hear Martine is moving in next week'.

Anyway on the ground intelligence aside. This is it and bet against at your peril for this Leg.

2 X Dutch Boats Podium.

1 X Spanish Boat for remainder podium or maybe an interloper.

1 X Chinese/French  Boat struggling to overcome the Telefonica Hoodoo since Iajai. Not looking good.

Net outcome is a Euro grab of the silverware. 

Hopefully the new RO of this race takes note and thinks seriously about returning this race to its traditional Euro constituents over and above the Asian experiment for the last decade which has been a fail. Afterall the RO is no longer selling cars.

5 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

How do we find out who is going to be an on board guest on what boat?

SHKS - Mr Lee

TTTOP - Paulo Mirpuri

Vestas - Roy Disney (not confirmed)

All others were taking journalists and these are no longer going. 

Frankly I think this has been completely soft by the RD. They should have stayed with it, or got rid of the guests completely.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Potter said:

Frankly I think this has been completely soft by the RD.

Potter you are being a bit harsh there.. like Phil Lawrence has done a grand job of balancing RO corporate objectives against running a RTW Race along transparent lines that are fully respective of and supported by the contestants inclusive of sponsors asperations who underwrite the race and directly pay his weekly salary. All in sarcasm font.

This is the point where I throw up in my mouth. Phil simply takes a bag of silver from a bunch of ratfuckers and doesn't give a fuck about sponsors getting their ROI message out (read number of reporters that had to be qualified to get a ride) or even a fun return for them. It is either that or he is incompetent.

Great thing about this race is a bunch of humans whether they be offshore or onshore, some visible some invisible ..but all busting their arses.

48 minutes ago, Potter said:

SHKS - Mr Lee

TTTOP - Paulo Mirpuri

Frankly I think this has been completely soft by the RD. They should have stayed with it, or got rid of the guests completely.  

I can see why the top 3 would not want a guest onboard to worry about with the stakes being what they are. However, compromises like this are hardly ever going to be satisfactory for everyone.

13 minutes ago, Zander said:

I can see why the top 3 would not want a guest onboard to worry about with the stakes being what they are. 

They had one planned being RO qualified Sea Survival etc, and a reporter for obvious ROI reasons..the only reason Lee, Mirpuri and Disney (a maybe) are there is they are non commercial type entries, they sign the cheques and told the RO to get fucked.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

They had one planned being a qualified Sea Survival and a reporter for obvious ROI reasons..the only reason Lee, Mirpuri and Disney (a maybe) are there is they are non commercial type entries, sign the cheques and told the RO to get fucked.

Definitely NOT what happened.

37 minutes ago, Potter said:

Definitely NOT what happened.

So they were excluded or begged then? The point being the rules for this race are manipulated on the run.

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

So they were excluded or begged then? The point being the rules for this race are manipulated on the run.

They asked for a unilateral decision, so that there would not be the case that there is now. 

In the words of Joan Vila, navigator of MAPFRE, "in principle it seems that we are going to leave with a westerly wind and that it will roll towards the north. First we will have to surround a buoy in Sweden because they want us to take about three days to do the stage. The position is still to be determined, but we will go in first line until this first mark and then we will go down again through the Baltic to Denmark, and then we will see if we go back to the Swedish mark or if we go directly to The Hague ".

Once again, the exclusion zones -mainly those located in the North Sea due to maritime traffic and oil platforms- will once again be protagonists, and will possibly be one of the key points when defining the strategies of each one of the equipment as Vila confirms: "There will be many options for how to pass these exclusion zones, and once we face the crossing of the North Sea we will have to decide the strategy and how we pass the traffic separation zone: if we pass all the , which forces us to go very close to the coast, or if we go through several holes that exist between one and the other ".

http://desafiomapfre.com/14020-2/

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Mambo we can't both be straight.

A Double Act, or comic pairing is where humor is derived from the uneven relationship between two partners, usually of the same gender, age, ethnic origin and profession but drastically different in terms of personality or behavior.

One member of the duo, the straight man or stooge, is portrayed as reasonable and serious. The other one, the funny man or comic, is portrayed as less educated or less intelligent, silly, or unorthodox.

Now while I'm not happy about being the dumb silly bastard in this partnership, your job as the stooge is to accept being the butt of my jokes.

I also get paid more than you.

Okay I think I understand now.

I am reasonable, serious and straight.

You are funny, less intelligent and carry a photo of Mark Turner in your wallet.     (The twins are just a cover).

Thx for clarifying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Potter said:

SHKS - Mr Lee

TTTOP - Paulo Mirpuri

Sounds like certain teams, naturally where the result in this leg matters, wanted out of their obligations and didn't want to babysit the guest - and being loose with the rules, I guess got their way.

2 hours ago, Potter said:

SHKS - Mr Lee

TTTOP - Paulo Mirpuri

If I'm Paulo, and its my money, my team, my charter and my foundation......I funded this to do something good for sailing and the environment.......well I'm damn well going to sail on this leg.  Mr Lee and I have agreed that we are each going on our respective boats. It is only a battle between our two boats, neither of us can overtake the boats ahead on the score board. We will enjoy a great race with the owners on board and we will both arrive in the Hague, shake hands and agree to be back next time as long as it is one design.

I say......Good on them!

On 6/18/2018 at 6:40 PM, Rennmaus said:

When I just left the race village, Mapfre was docked like the others.

Got hold of Xabi, no damage done. They got stuck in soft mud.
Sent a diver down, but all was good.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Got hold of Xabi, no damage done. They got stuck in soft mud.
Sent a diver down, but all was good.

Good news!.... Bring it ooooooooonnnnnnn!! :D

• Like 3

5 hours ago, terrafirma said:

1. Mapfre $

2. Brunel $

3. Dong $

Witty's money is on Brunel.
More here in the vid (complete presser):

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Witty's money is on Brunel.
More here in the vid (complete presser):

Thanks for the presser. 

Thought it was a weird juxtaposition for moderator to pose light hearted questions to Witty - then immediately go to Charlie so he can moan about adversity that "isn't necessarily anyone's fault"

39 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Thought it was a weird juxtaposition for moderator to pose light hearted questions to Witty - then immediately go to Charlie so he can moan about adversity that "isn't necessarily anyone's fault"

When he asked the write in question - "what would you do differently ?" he very pointedly didn't direct the question at Witty or Charlie. 

Interesting how Dee threw the rat on the table again - this time pointing out that answers to questions about the next race were impossible, as no-one knew what or when.

As to the odds. I fear it is going to end up a crap shoot. Going soft at the end with so many restrictions on course, I just get the feeling that someone will get shot out the back door for no good reason, and someone else will get a lucky break, and there will be no really satisfactory clear winner, one who wins on the merit of out sailing the others. I really hope I'm wrong. 

Any of the three would be worthy winners. However I suspect a lot of us share Witty's support for Bouwe. There would be something curiously satisfying in a win there.

• Like 1

Looks like the Leg 11 SI were revised four times in the last week...

https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/noticeboard.html

Assuming they don't change it again, they're going with an adjusted version of "Course 1"...

Start - Alvsborg Gate- Gothenburg Channel Limits - Gaveskar gate (Leaving Mark) - Vassakaren to starboard – Botto to Port – Buskar Gate – Brede Baden to starboard – Trubaduren to Starboard –Steingrunnen to Port - Laeso NE to Starboard - Silderon East to Starboard – Klokkegrund to Starboard - Oreflipen to Starboard - Aarhus Laid Mark to Starboard– Oreflipen to Port – Klokkegrun to Port – Silderon East to Port –Laeso NE to Port - Steingrunnen to Port - NAM 22 to Starboard - Finish 

There are a lot of differences between this and the original courses, but I haven't looked at a map yet to see if any of them are significant.  

I spent some time in Google maps trying to sort out the impacts.  A lot of the adjustments are minor and/or simply renaming things.  For example, if you look in the official VOR tracker, you'll see a red dot NW of Gothenburg (North of "South Norway TSS3").  It looks like they're required to leave that to Port before going down to Laeso.  As far as I can tell, the plan (at least for Course 1) always included rounding a mark up there first after leaving Gothenburg, but they originally called it "South Norway Virtual Mark" and then "Ranhausen 2" and then "Steingrunnen".  The exact location was tweaked each time, so the navigators would have to update their waypoints each time, but the changes were small so the impact is minor.

The biggest changes seem to be that they have to leave Laeso to starboard (although they had to leave Silderon to starboard anyway, and neither is shown as a red dot yet in the tracker), and they added the Klokkegrund and Oreflipen marks to the Aarhus area.  I'm not sure if that's to promote spectator viewability or for safety reasons or both.  Anyway...  as far as I can tell, the revisions didn't dramatically impact the overall course to be sailed.

• Like 1

Pre-leg interviews by VOR:

20 June, interview, Dee Caffari, Turn the Tide on Plastic 
20 June, interview in Swedish, Martin Strömberg, Turn the Tide on Plastic
20 June, interview in Portuguese, Bernardo Freitas, Turn the Tide on Plastic

20 June, interview, David Witt, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
20 June, interview in Danish, Jena Mai Hansen/Vestas 11th Hour & Nicolai Sehested/AkzoNobel 

20 June, interview, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
20 June, interview in Spanish, Xabi Fernández, Mapfre
20 June, interview, Blair Tuke, Mapfre

20 June, interview Bouwe Bekking, Brunel 
20 June, interview in Dutch, Bouwe Bekking, Brunel 
20 June, interview, Peter Burling, Brunel

20 June, interview, Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
20 June, interview in French, Charles Caudrelier, Dongfeng
20 June, interview, Chen Jinhao ‘Horace’, Dongfeng
20 June, interview in Chinese, Chen Jinhao ‘Horace’, Dongfeng
20 June, interview, Carolijn Brouwer, Dongfeng
20 June, interview in Dutch, Carolijn Brouwer, Dongfeng

20 June, Pre-Leg 11 Skippers Press conference
20 June, Pre-Leg 11 Skippers Press conference complete

^^ great interviews, my take away is that Xabi is cool as ice as we know him and still hungry. He’ll be back next edition. Bouwe’s sounds confident and relaxed and so does Burling, not very different than last few legs. Charles seem very much concerned with not losing the race, that is very different than try to win it. Carolijn on the other hand, she wants it madly and will be giving it all. 

It is a one-design racing but the teams and skippers are so different in their dynamics, fascinating.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ great interviews, my take away is that Xabi is cool as ice as we know him and still hungry. He’ll be back next edition. Bouwe’s sounds confident and relaxed and so does Burling, not very different than last few legs. Charles seem very much concerned with not losing the race, that is very different than try to win it. Carolijn on the other hand, she wants it madly and will be giving it all. 

It is a one-design racing but the teams and skippers are so different in their dynamics, fascinating.

I hope the folks around Witty have a support structure lined up for when he gets back to "normal life" - for a lot of people who have experienced loss like he has and had to make the call he did - it hits you hardest when you've got the quiet time after the job is done...

• Like 5

I was totally stunned by Dee in today's press conference. I've seen her before, but I never noticed that she has such a positive charisma. It was a pleasure listening to her, how she talked about her campaign, and why she rates it as a success. :wub:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rennmaus said:

I was totally stunned by Dee in today's press conference. I've seen her before, but I never noticed that she has such a positive charisma. It was a pleasure listening to her, how she talked about her campaign, and why she rates it as a success. :wub:

I think Dee can be a team principal in any sport - never will embarrass sponsors, works hard, does the work. Refreshing voice worthy of BBC or narrating Planet Earth whenever they decide to do a southern ocean video. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, southerncross said:

In the words of Joan Vila, navigator of MAPFRE, "in principle it seems that we are going to leave with a westerly wind and that it will roll towards the north. First we will have to surround a buoy in Sweden because they want us to take about three days to do the stage. The position is still to be determined, but we will go in first line until this first mark and then we will go down again through the Baltic to Denmark, and then we will see if we go back to the Swedish mark or if we go directly to The Hague ".

In the latest SI's dated June 18th the course has been extended to the max going north-south and vice versa several times. Two times to the south of Norway, and two times from Hjerm Dyb near Aarhus to Skagen to a fresh cardinal waypoint Oreflipen. In the latest SI's from today the Norway waypoint has been changed from the Ranhousen 2 green lateral mark (unlit) to the Steingrunnen - east cardinal mark which is lighted and 1 nm to the south of the earlier waypoint.

Routing yesterday was 885 nm before the June 18th courses changes, now it is up to a whopping 1.470 nm. ETA pushed back to Tuesday the 26th, early morning. I checked the waypoints twice, and I can't still believe it. Input GFS 25 km resolution, no currents or waves. VOR has gone silent on the new ETA AFAIK on twitter or the website. At least The Hague won't be worried any longer that the Race Village is not ready on time. Winds expected are max 26 knots atm for the Nort Sea part. The rest is well below that and very light winds in the last day still expected (+/- 6 knots). So it wil be not 2 days of nail biting, but 4 :rolleyes:.

2001166581_thecourse.thumb.png.f2ade175bc759c3027de4c8d9302c312.png

routing overview compressed.jpg

routing detail compressed.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

I think it was C Caudrelier who acknowledged the uncertainty about the course in today's press conference.

Bouwe also said that he expects that the course might be shortened as now arrival might be (early) Monday morning and that is not great for spectators. I was a bit surprised since such a decision might have enormous impact on results of the race  especially if decision is taken after the start. :blink:

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

I think Dee can be a team principal in any sport - never will embarrass sponsors, works hard, does the work. Refreshing voice worthy of BBC or narrating Planet Earth whenever they decide to do a southern ocean video. 

Yes, she is a boss, very inspirational lady. I loved watching her lead her team (together with Liz) through this though race. I hope she returns with another, perhaps slightly more matured team in the next race. And yes her English and voice is exceptionally pleasant to listen to :wub:.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

Routing yesterday was 885 nm before the June 18th courses changes, now it is up to a whopping 1.470 nm. ETA pushed back to Tuesday the 26th, early morning. I checked the waypoints twice, and I can't still believe it.

Can't believe it either, Herman. Today"s press release is still talking about a 700 nm course, and all the spectator boats are set for a Sunday arrival. 

Half of Holland and Friesland will be in Scheveningen on Sunday, to cheer for Bouwe and Brunel, the new Conny and Flyer they hope. On Monday they have to go back to work, so Sunday it's got to be !

Lots of good reading above--thanks all

Crew Lists up https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/crew-list.html . SHKS lists Fisher as onboard, appropriate, and team logo has changed (not sure when that happened). Bit surprised to see Lunven in for nav on TTOP, but makes sense 

Also, Umpire calls updated on the noticeboard. 

(aside: tough explaining to friends why so interested in watching videos this germane woman uploads. wife says hi to Renny and looks forward to inside info about Christmas markets :D)

Back to ketchup.

• Like 1

I generally try to avoid crossing up the virtual racing with the real racing because they're truly totally separate, and I don't want people to think that I believe my expertise in the virtual event should carry any weight at all in the real event...  but I picked up an interesting tidbit from a Danish virtual sailor.

Apparently VOR has an agreement with Aarhus to have the boats go through the harbor mark in Aarhus between 1200 and 18000 on June 22, local time.  So the rapid-fire small adjustments to the SI have been to try to ensure the fleet meets that requirement.  (Assuming his info is correct)

If true that's pretty absurd. Signing a deal like that in sailing. This isn't the TdF and you head into Paris with some gentlemen agreement not to challenge GC. 

^^^^Absurd for a long leg yes but for a short 700nm sprint to the finish like this pretty understandable and in the interests of everyone including competitors, particularly the two cloggies. They will get a huge turnout if numbers at the Hague pitstop last edition are anything to go by.

Time to get this show on the road. There's been far too much shagging around and time-wasting already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sailbydate said:

Time to get this show on the road. There's been far too much shagging around and time-wasting already.

Me too, cannot wait to get this going again ... but what are we going to do in a few days when it's all over? Withdrawal symptoms?  I'll probably find myself staring at the GGR tracker as the boats creep along at 5 knts!!!

Probably start being productive at work too.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Potter said:

SHKS - Mr Lee

TTTOP - Paulo Mirpuri

Mr Lee = Seng Huang Lee, right? (Lotta Lees associated with SHKS). Guess he and Disney will be confirmed in a few hours.

(need to read more about Paulo Mirpuri, and thanks Mambo; that's a start. Months more entertainment to come following up on this leg.)

Would appreciate any further comments on the VIP selection/preparation difficulties and the thinking behind the hush-hush. I'm guessing  risks of wanna-be disruptors ("security reasons"), VIP schedules that are tough to nail down, liability fears, too much extra responsibility for the teams who cannot afford any distractions, etc..

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sea Breeze 74 said:

.. but what are we going to do in a few days when it's all over? 

Around 780 days to the VG but who is counting.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Good one. Dee said in the Cardiff presser that the guys had already nailed down future commitments, and here she specifies the girls are without  deliveries and such looking ahead. Will be listening for the girls getting rides and offers in the Hague and after.

She's right-- the chance to refine experience is the key to future glory. Even Bouwe and Cape have shown that old dogs can learn new skills, so how much tougher will it be for the newbies if they have to wait four more years before they can gain significant experience. 

Witty had fine words about Bessie, but didn't hear a commitment (did like his RTW as a good prep for the 2018 Hobart)

• Like 1

Xabi almost says we'll be getting the team together for the next one. 

And Tuke says they've "addressed the conditions in which TBRU were faster, and we WILL be faster" Good good good. And his comment about "getting locked into the fast modes quickly' backs up the mode change speed being the key of their success. Sure like these VNRs. Worth the time it takes to catch em.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Pre-leg interviews by VOR:

20 June, interview Bouwe Bekking, Brunel 

20 June, interview, Peter Burling, Brunel

Interesting comments about DFRT and MAPF speed by Bouwe and Burling, especially Burlings comment that the pass on MAPF took 3 hrs and "the video did not do it justice."

Bouwe confident in momentum; but maybe I can see hope for MAPF after the in-port ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack_sparrow said:

Nice but front of the bus centric wrap up to date written by Digby Fox who is a Producer of Live, which he comments on fan interaction.

https://www.sailingscuttlebutt.com/2018/06/19/vintage-volvo-ocean-race/

Good one. This quote fits a few threads too ;) 

The one-design boats have given us as pure a game as possible. No keel or ketch or sail configuration has given these crews an edge – just good old fashioned preparation and ability. Plus of course the team dynamic of an offshore crew.

Sail World (David Schmidt) had a similar (bit more general, though) article a few days ago https://www.sail-world.com/news/206660

• Like 1

Too good to pass over this take on the triple crown stuff by Peter Rusch, for the VOR and Sail World

Now, for the third pillar of the Triple Crown, they are sailing against each other for the first time. And both have one hand on victory in the Volvo Ocean Race, with MAPFRE and Team Brunel on equal points at the top of the leaderboard heading into the final leg.

“It’s been an amazing run,” Tuke admitted somewhat reluctantly.

Neither he nor Burling appear to be comfortable talking about personal achievements that have come in the context of team victories.

Mention of the Triple Crown has been known to result in them rolling their eyes at the very question. The humility is genuine.

More at https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/news/11979_Putting-the-crown-on-two-years-of-incredible-achievements.html 

or https://www.sail-world.com/news/206748

besides stressing the 'genuine humility' of Burling and Tuke, thankfully, the rest of his piece makes me wonder if he scripted the questions for the VNRs too.THought they were done by Jo Picard or Digby Fox.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stief said:

DFRT fans--good quotes from DFRT. In Charles' interview::

Nice description of the VOR.

And Carolijn Brouwer's convincing  "this is the most important race of my life

Charles' interview was quite revealing to me.  A lot of discussion here and elsewhere concerns "pressure" on Charles to win this race for the future of Chinese sailing, and for his sponsors, and while that is clearly important to him,  it is obvious not just from this interview but all of his interviews and his reactions on board, that he is a very competitive (and emotional) person and he puts a tremendous amount of pressure on himself. In this video he discusses this race as being for him the Olympics of sailing, that the America's Cup is a big deal but that he is probably not qualified to do it, that it has been a dream to be an offshore racer since he was 15, and this is the pinnacle of his profession. 

Carolijn, who to me is the consummate offshore racer, essentially says the same thing. She also reaffirmed to me the cohesion of the DF race team, which has been evident in interviews  with crew members and OBR videos and verified by e.g. Ken Read.  I was curious about the mood of the team after the last place finish in the Gothenburg in port race, there having been so speculation in this thread that is was probably not too good. Carolina answered that: that as result of that finish there was a debris, a team meeting which might not have occurred had they not had such a poor finish, and that the meeting solidified the team's closeness and determination. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Around 780 days to the VG but who is counting.

Recently I have been entertaining myself with the R2AK and the World Cup, both of which will also be over within the very near or near future. There is some amusing "play by play" commentary on the SA thread for the R2AK race, particularly since many of the posters have done the race before or know people who are in it or both, as well as video on its website and the articles in Scuttlebutt. The guy who was paddling using just his arms while lying on his stomach on a paddle board did quit.  Being quite familiar with those waters, and its currents, tides, weather, etc. it is pretty amazing what types of non-motorized watercraft are being utilized. 

On 6/19/2018 at 1:54 PM, jack_sparrow said:

A reflective horse.

So it was actually Burling driving the submarine at the time of the Mapfre pass, I have been trying to find that out. Well the chap can helm I have to say :).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stief said:

Mr Lee = Seng Huang Lee, right? (Lotta Lees associated with SHKS). Guess he and Disney will be confirmed in a few hours.

(need to read more about Paulo Mirpuri, and thanks Mambo; that's a start. Months more entertainment to come following up on this leg.)

Would appreciate any further comments on the VIP selection/preparation difficulties and the thinking behind the hush-hush. I'm guessing  risks of wanna-be disruptors ("security reasons"), VIP schedules that are tough to nail down, liability fears, too much extra responsibility for the teams who cannot afford any distractions, etc..

Mr. Lee, Mirpuri and Disney are confirmed; at least, they are on the crew lists. 

I too am curious about the whole VIP-required--on-this-leg issue. It is something I have been curious about since I first saw the rule. Specifically, was this something the team skippers agreed to? In the abstract, it seems like a good PR idea, but in practice, my thoughts were the same as Stief's. In fact to me it is a very bad idea. The word that comes to mind is headache. Worst case: nightmare. While no one anticipated the race would be this close going into the last leg,  if I were a skipper, a Team Manager, or even a regular crew member, I would have all of those concerns. Having a third party non-crew member on board for multiple days, and nights, presents a whole host of issues, as Stief identified: who is responsible for them: their whereabouts, their safety? Who hot bunks with them? Their food? Keeping them out of the way during said changes, tacking, etc. It is a bundle of worries that a competitive crew should not have to deal with. Lee has sailed often enough with Witty, and that boat is not in competition for the win, although obviously it will sail competitively. Charlie and Mark and a long term relationship with Roy Disney, but still. Mirpuri is not unfamiliar with sailing, but, the same issues remain. Potter? Any insight here?

• Like 1

^^^^Originally everyone accepted and where no one is disadvantaged and prepared accordingly to match their program. It is suddenly a option by choice presumably from those at the top of the leaderboard lobbying so. Like a lot of rules in this race they are suddenly changed sometimes to suit the RO, sometimes to suit one or more competitors.

Is that an acceptable practise, probably not. Have those decisons impacted upon the leaderboard today, maybe yes. Is this all understandable, probably yes. Outside of competitors have these variations to the SI's been properly explained, no. Are hard core fans treated like mushrooms, yes.

^^^Who knows? I have given up anticipating Live chopper shots, or believing what we are told. Recall, the last day of the last leg, we were promised regular shots and I think we had two, until the finish, and then just barely. 

32 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Am I right to think there will be lots of mid leg Live daylight chopper crosses to turn this weekend into zombi land for us??

How many coins are left on the bottom of the VOR tea kitty?