Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

Discussing nationality rules one needs to remember which end is dog and which end is tail. 

Nationality is good when it enables greater involvement from the public that leads to greater value for sponsors. Or enables buy in from sponsors. One adds as much or as little as is needed to get the benefits, and no more. Less if it starts to impinge on the ability of teams to assemble a crew.

Nationality could be as weak as having the flag flown. Probably want at least one crew member. After that it is just down to a team tuning the mix to suit each sponsor.

In an ideal world, when every country has a contingent of top flight professional ocean racers to pick from, we could imagine a more draconian rule; but we don't have that, and it is a waste of time worrying. I would love to see a boat fully crewed with aussies, under an Oz sponsor. I would also love someone to give me the winning numbers for this weekend's lotto draw. Both are about as likely. (And if someone does give me the numbers, I won't be using my winnings to sponsor a team.)

I find it odd that the VOR has not highlighted the individual nationalities of the crew members more. They do make it pretty clear - they have little flags next to crew member's photos, and wet weather gear has names and flags on. But that seems to be about as far as it goes. They have the basics, but never seem to leverage it. Nationality interest doesn't just need to revolve around the boat or team.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Francis Vaughan said:

I find it odd that the VOR has not highlighted the individual nationalities of the crew members more. They do make it pretty clear - they have little flags next to crew member's photos, and wet weather gear has names and flags on. But that seems to be about as far as it goes. They have the basics, but never seem to leverage it. Nationality interest doesn't just need to revolve around the boat or team. 

There were additional attempts, like the French and Spanish language options for the main web site, the "San/Sin Filtre" series, and separate language tweet accounts. There may have been more, vaguely recall checking some Dutch and Chinese social media links listed on the Team page. But, as a primarily English follower, rarely found much additional on those other 'national' pages, so slowly stopped checking those links each day.

Chance for those who appreciated TTOP's campaign to vote (16 hr remaining)

Dee is currently in 2nd behind netballer nat haythornthwaite.

( cred Libby and Spedding for the heads-up)

^^^Thanks Stief for the info. I just voted, for Dee of course. To me it is absurd for Dee to be in a contest for Sportswoman of the Month with a golfer, a netballer (I did not know what that sport was until now), and a cricket player, as the conditions under which she (and her crew) performed, and what they actually physically did, is not comparable to those activities.  Golf v. offshore racing?? Sadly Dee seems to be behind the netballer by a significant margin, albeit there do not appear to be a lot of total votes. Obviously people don't know what Dee did. 

51 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

^^^Thanks Stief for the info. I just voted, for Dee of course. To me it is absurd for Dee to be in a contest for Sportswoman of the Month with a golfer, a netballer (I did not know what that sport was until now), and a cricket player, as the conditions under which she (and her crew) performed, and what they actually physically did, is not comparable to those activities.  Golf v. offshore racing?? Sadly Dee seems to be behind the netballer by a significant margin, albeit there do not appear to be a lot of total votes. Obviously people don't know what Dee did. 

Actually, she's doing quite well (up to 29%)  considering:

Guess there might be a bunch of netballers checking out Dee's website and what an MBE means.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

At least I don't need a straw.

post-3217-0-33158300-1420680722_thumb.jpg.c6af670a6819e190f87364b5d2d16fb9.jpg

Looks like you have the technique nailed to me.

Been meaning to ask ... how's the troll-busting business going these days?

9 hours ago, stief said:

Actually, she's doing quite well (up to 29%)  considering:

Has it come to this?  Does last place get voted off the Island?

Has anyone asked what happened to the chase boats after the leg finished? Seems like it would be a good story for whatever journo wanted to chase.

3 hours ago, HMM263 said:

Has anyone asked what happened to the chase boats after the leg finished? Seems like it would be a good story for whatever journo wanted to chase.

What do you mean? The RIBs used by the teams are for sale.

If you are referring to the accident during the Hague 'stopover' that had nothing to do with the VOR. It was two local boats doing their own thing.

37 minutes ago, Potter said:

nothing to do with the VOR.

I'd check your source if I was you. One dead and another 50/50 if they're going to live. 

4 hours ago, HMM263 said:

The team RIBs were, very shortly after the VO65s docked in for the last 9official) time were driven round to the inner harbour, craned out, washed down, engines flushed through, deflated and de-logo'd, returned to VOR and put in a container for shipping (presumably for shipping to Lisbon).

I know because I was part of that process for one of the teams. I'm sure you can guess which one :-)

I can confirm what Potter said that the unfortunate collision between a ROB and a steel motor boat was entirely separate from any VOR operations

SS

1 minute ago, HMM263 said:

I'd check your source if I was you. One dead and another 50/50 if they're going to live. 

NO - YOU check your source. The team RIBs were not used at all for joyriding the public outside VOR or team duties.

VOR have already issued a statement that the accident, sad as it was, it did not involve a VOR RIB.

To accuse VOR of any involvement would be like blaming a soccer team because a fan drove off the road on the way home from a game.

Try listening to someone who was there like Potter or myself.

SS

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HMM263 said:

I'd check your life support system batteries first before you type dribble.

1 hour ago, Rennmaus said:

Thanks Renny. Pretty fair summary, and even some of the good drone shots (whale feeding, but not the cliff run ;) ).

Good reminder what a fine edition it has been, and an easy way to send friends a quick glimpse. They still won't know the thrill of following the tracker(s) and the threads.

• Like 2

I got about 3:24 mins in.  That's pretty good considering I was already over loaded with 'crew being hosed' shots. 

But the checkout the expression on the skippper's face at 3:24.  Clearly he was uncomfortable with the 'Chinese' thing.

Jack, don’t miss your chance.

21 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The complete race in 12 minutes:

Love it, I’ll rewatch occasionally to just remember the high- and lowlights of this edition. That three boat tie and the lost of Fish and the poor fisherman will stay with me forever. 

• Like 1

Fuck, do we need a stake to the heart or a silver bullet to kill this fucker?

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, random said:

I got about 3:24 mins in.  That's pretty good considering I was already over loaded with 'crew being hosed' shots. 

But the checkout the expression on the skippper's face at 3:24.  Clearly he was uncomfortable with the 'Chinese' thing.

Shows how little you know you. Someone should switch off your life support, you are clearly already brain dead - and have been for some time.

Pity you didn't watch the whole vid then you would have seen his expression at the end of the race. Check the Front Page if you haven't seen it.

Asshole!

6 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

Shows how little you know you. Someone should switch off your life support, you are clearly already brain dead - and have been for some time.

Pity you didn't watch the whole vid then you would have seen his expression at the end of the race. Check the Front Page if you haven't seen it.

Asshole!

You should step away from the bias for a bit.  Take a chill pill.   You are too close to this to be objective.

I saw the FP and yes, you are right, he does look way happier when he's not in China.

BTW it's Arsehole, just so you know.

4 hours ago, random said:

You should step away from the bias for a bit.  Take a chill pill.   You are too close to this to be objective.

I saw the FP and yes, you are right, he does look way happier when he's not in China.

BTW it's Arsehole, just so you know.

& BTW if you had one transplanted I'm sure it would reject you

Brunel's take on the finish:

Baaaaahhhhhh, I'm suffering from TEARS (Tracker Excessive Attention Retention Syndrome), TM @~HHN92~.
It's so bad that I even started to post in AC Anarchy again.

7 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Baaaaahhhhhh, I'm suffering from TEARS (Tracker Excessive Attention Retention Syndrome), TM @~HHN92~.

Any idea where the poem is from?  "At the end of all things is the sea ..." 

Not coming up in a Google search.

7 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Must be really bad then.

20 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Must be really bad then.

it's bad, i clicked on the AC forum out of boredom . big mistake realized ,  and went in reverse in quick order.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

That's a really well done video and great recap for "the team that almost was."

10 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Quick, get to the DR. before the relapse really takes root...posting in AC Anarchy again, its getting bad.

• Like 1

Golden Globe Race thread is not good but better than the fuckwits on AC plus thread drift is welcome to keep everyone awake.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 8:21 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Golden Globe Race thread is not good but better than the fuckwits on AC plus thread drift is welcome to keep everyone awake.

Thank you for pointing me to this thread.
A couple of years ago I read the D. Crowhurst saga and watched the documentary. Unsettling stuff.
Now this year's edition... What a stupid race, but so good in its difference, especially after the VOR. Loveable. Big fun, hopefully not with a Crowhust end.

On 7/11/2018 at 2:19 AM, Rennmaus said:

Slo-mo crew getting hosed over-load.  Fucking silly really, there is no need for it to be like this.

• Downvote 1

On 7/11/2018 at 1:18 AM, jack_sparrow said:

Must be really bad then.

It’s not pretty over there. 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:41 AM, bigrpowr said:

it's bad, i clicked on the AC forum out of boredom . big mistake realized ,  and went in reverse in quick order.

PA is almost preferable 

8 hours ago, mad said:

PA is almost preferable 

It's a close call. Both are really horrible. Pits of meanness. 

12 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

They are still popping these out ...no doubt just to piss Randumb off.

Well-edited "summary" of Dongfeng's participation in this last edition of VOR , and includes some behind the scenes and race footage I haven't seen before. For people who may have just gotten interested in the race during the last couple of legs and esp in DFRT, it is a good video. 

46 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

It's a close call. Both are really horrible. Pits of meanness. 

Reading AC and PA is like reading Trump's tweets. 

On 7/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Any idea where the poem is from?  "At the end of all things is the sea ..." 

Not coming up in a Google search.

The closest I found was on hellopoetry.com, a poem by Jai Kerkhanis titled "At the End of All Things". The "sea" is mentioned in it, but not the exact quotation you wrote.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:04 PM, jack_sparrow said:

Another roll-up 

image.png.b8ad45cd0dc06075f965d514af26777e.png

On 6/28/2018 at 11:46 PM, Mambo Kings said:

Hmmm. Great interview. Empathetic but unflinching interview style draws some real answers out of Witty.

Quite Simply...........IMHO, Volvo NEEDS TO HIRE NIC DOUGLAS for the next Ocean Race. Some of Sailor Girl's interviews before and after the race were among the best of this edition. She  brings something special and unique to sailing journalism. She comes across as this very happy personality that can ask serious questions and seems really knowledgeable. I would love to see her on the commentary team next time around.

Thanks Albany for posting and bringing this to our attention.

Thank you - hopefully I can get a role for the next edition.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:06 AM, Sea Breeze 74 said:

Thanks, good interview. I'm trying to work out why they flipped it - some kind of copyright issue with what's in the background?

"They" is the root of your "problem". I was in the Hague for just on 24 hours after the Newport-Bermuda. I got in, did 10 interviews and got out to head home and go do my own nationals in Darwin with Dad.

Put your iPhone on selfie mode.... Everything is flipped. "They" was just me for those interviews. For some with Mapfre I had the awesome Christine helping me out (Rob G's gf and a great friend). 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:34 AM, stief said:

Thanks for the find. Not much new there about the past. Lesson learned about prep being key, but had hoped he'd say something about other boats who started further back in the prep race.  Best part is the last 30 seconds:

"Whatever your opinion has been of the team in the past, it's not the same team turning up on Boxing Day" Looking forward to seeing if team development will be enough to overcome boat developments.

Looking forward to the Hobart. Some announcements to come on that in the next week or so.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:41 AM, Mambo Kings said:

She would get  a ride on a dozen Viper640s any day she likes......open invitation!   Conrad too!

I understand that Sailorgirl is quite an accomplished sailor in her own right.

I think someone did ask her about the worlds in Perth but she had a prior commitment.  Otherwise she has bigger fish to fry than our local regattas. For the Worlds in Long Beach, I think PR is being done by someone local alongside Buttons Padin.  

But yeah.....she would do a crazy good job.  I just dont know how many people want to hear us lot being interviewed compared to Witty, Caudrelier, Burling, Spithill etc.

Always open to working with whatever events I can from Optis to Spirals, to Vipers to Nacras and Tasars to Volvos. I just have a pretty busy schedule now.

Have averaged on the ground for 50 events for the last three years running. Get in early x

On 6/30/2018 at 12:03 AM, Elisa said:

Loved these interviews! thank you @sailorgirl218

Your welcome. All of my Volvo stuff was at my own cost, so your thanks is what keeps me going x