Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

2 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

The hidden parts of the Bouwe machine...the onshore team can be easilly forgotten.

:wub:, you’re very lucky if you have that in your life, .... and now indeed ‘Let them win!’ 

3 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Am I right to think there will be lots of mid leg Live daylight chopper crosses to turn this weekend into zombi land for us??

3 hours ago, despacio avenue said:

^^^Who knows? I have given up anticipating Live chopper shots, or believing what we are told. Recall, the last day of the last leg, we were promised regular shots and I think we had two, until the finish, and then just barely. 

Desperado I know you are frustrated about this helicopter aspect ..but if they don't deliver, well next week just tell Captain Chicken the address of the nearest Volvo car lot closest to you.

Maybe not much, but you will feel better.

hump.gif

Charles said this course is where he started to raise 20 years. 

Andy asks a really embarrassing glass half full question to all the skippers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Simeon shaved off his beard

Every ounce counts! :lol: and he will no longer be mistaken for u Russian guy either, can’t loose! 

• Like 2

"Hey Dad what's a Dong feng?"

"Well it a ... a well It's a boat, that's what it is!"

"So who are we barracking for dad?  Is a deng fong better than a Brunel?  What's a Brunel Dad?"

graphicstock-photo-of-bearded-young-fath

Hell yeah let's do this! Torn because I am a long time Dongfeng supporter, but wish the other two win so one of those Kiwi boys get a 'triple crown'... and secretly rooting for the Yellow boat because of their amazing comeback! Will be a distracting few days!

• Like 1

Best of luck all. Let’s just hope the leg (and race) is decided on a fair crack between the 3 top boats and not some shit luck.....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

Stu Bannantyne was sailing in the Newport to Bermuds was, thus explaining his absence in Leg 10. And onboard winning boat.

Should have been onboard every leg... look at the Dongs leg outcomes he wasn't.

• Like 3

What a botched start for Mapfre.  Battling for the pin at the start with Bru. Ugh.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, random said:

"Hey Dad what's a Dong feng?"

"Well it a ... a well It's a boat, that's what it is!"

"So who are we barracking for dad?  Is a deng fong better than a Brunel?  What's a Brunel Dad?"

graphicstock-photo-of-bearded-young-fath

Would it be more meaningful if he was asking dad if he was rooting for Rothmans or Tokio? Or for Flyer or NCB?

11 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Should have been onboard every leg... look at the Dongs leg outcomes he wasn't.

Hey Jacky-boy!

See there's a new limit on how many you can downvote me in a day!!!

tenor.gif

• Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Chimp too said:

Would it be more meaningful if he was asking dad if he was rooting for Rothmans or Tokio? Or for Flyer or NCB?

That is not his Dad...

^^ Pablo driving Mapfre, love him, like Stu, Burling and Balcaen a.o., guys who feel the boat as was she a sensitive woman. 

• Like 2

I'm easy, I just hope they get out of there without hitting any rocks. 

13 minutes ago, Elisa said:

^^ Pablo driving Mapfre, love him, like Stu, Burling and Balcaen a.o., guys who feel the boat as was she a sensitive woman. 

Don’t forget Mr.Lee. He was driving pretty intensely. 

• Like 1

This will be a headache-leg for the navigators and strategists onboard. If the forecast is right, this Sweden-Norway-Denmark up and down will be close to a windward leeward course. Rocks, island and coastal effects all thrown in for good measure. Then, out into the Northsea which is a minefield of exclusion zones and potential tidal relief/gain options.

May the best boat win.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, WLIS Jibing said:

Don’t forget Mr.Lee. He was driving pretty intensely. 

I have never heard of the term ..driving like you owned it.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, jack_sparrow said:

I have never heard of the term ..driving like you owned it.

I guess it is a rental, technically.

• Like 3

Limited heli time and showing old footage instead of the last Leg of the most defining race...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, southerncross said:

Limited heli time and showing old footage instead of the last Leg of the most defining race...

Makes me crazy:wub:

30 minutes ago, Elisa said:

..guys who feel the boat as was she a sensitive woman. 

Maybe girl.. but that's because those boats don't come with a mother-in-law

• Like 3

Just now, jack_sparrow said:

1st guy across the Hague line..betcha.

May be right.  1 + 2 Dutchies.  But Bouwe may overtake at the end.  

Left looking nice right now.

35 minutes ago, southerncross said:

Gotta leave room for improvement....

3 minutes ago, Chasm said:

Gotta leave room for improvement....

At least they're not playing the fake helicopter audio clip anymore.

This is maddening: So busy I will be missing much of the race as it happens... 

Sigh. Slept in, now trying to ketchup by tweets and blogs. So far, Gladwell's "Has the critical leg been won at the start?" (MAPF lost the entire race here, haha) beats the VOR's 111 second vid.  Gotta find how Burling got Pablo. Boxed out vs MAPF "misjudged the lay line." Must have been great pre-start maneuvering  to see. 

Oh, the irony. Too funny :D.

North looking pretty good ahead. DFRT can afford to spend some leverage, thunderstorms aside.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:
4 hours ago, random said:

These videos so full of mindless cliche's that I might as well mute myself, as an improvement.

Yes please.

The best idea he's ever come up with

• Like 2

New playlist: leg 11:

Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 21 June, start Leg 11: Early advantage for Dongfeng
Volvo Ocean Race 2017-18: VNR 21 June, start Leg 11: Bonus aerial footage after the start

Some more added to the interview playlist:

VNR 21 June, interview in Dutch, Annemieke Bes, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
VNR 21 June, interview in Portuguese, António Fontes, Sun Hung Kai/Scallywag
VNR 21 June, interview in Italian, Francesca Clapcich, Turn the Tide on Plastic
VNR 21 June, interview in Italian, Alberto Bolzan, Brunel

Looks like the fleet is getting a 20-30+ degree righty.  That'll make life difficult for Mapfre, Brunel, and Azko if it holds...

They've all tacked now.  I think Vestas was a little slow to react simply because it hit them first.  TToP and Scally were also slow to react, but it isn't clear why.  The others appear to have seen what was happening and readied for the tack in advance.

Some big squiggles in the tracks for the right hand bunch!  Looks like that thunderstorm action is having an effect on them!

Interesting that having a new boat/ old boat hasn't  made much difference to speed discussions.

Ouch. Sail change on SHKS? Speed is pretty slow just now, but wind speed isn't that soft.

19 minutes ago, despacio avenue said:

And, he will be for the rest of the leg. ;)

I know some ppl find him irritating - but he's genuinely enthusiastic and isn't a pompous voice who'll pontificate a lot then say "WHAT DO YOU THINK SALLY" cut her off then keep talking.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

They've all tacked now.  I think Vestas was a little slow to react simply because it hit them first.  TToP and Scally were also slow to react, but it isn't clear why.  The others appear to have seen what was happening and readied for the tack in advance.

19 minutes ago, Miffy said:

I know some ppl find him irritating - but he's genuinely enthusiastic and isn't a pompous voice who'll pontificate a lot then say "WHAT DO YOU THINK SALLY" cut her off then keep talking.

There's only one thing worse than Nial gushing in the studio - and that's from the chopper. Take a breath, man for fuck's sake.

• Like 1

Darn, that wind shift is something. I hope MAPFRE isn't holding on to stbd tack too long. BRUNEL could be in a tough spot too, right in the middle - neither fish nor fowl. 

2 minutes ago, Twocan said:

Mapfre lifted by 35° on DF. 

Yep, they found their own private spot of good wind and are making impressive gains on DF. Crap!

3 minutes ago, Hydrogene said:

Yep, they found their own private spot of good wind and are making impressive gains on DF. Crap!

I've been waiting for the knock---can't get away from the tracker. Gripping. Wonder if the fleet split around a cloud the Live Heli mentioned.

And DFRT gives up on TBRU and tacks over to MAPF.

1 minute ago, stief said:

I've been waiting for the knock---can't get away from the tracker. Gripping. Wonder if the fleet split around a cloud the Live Heli mentioned.

Mapfre now in lead with DF now sailing 30° higher, long time till the fat lady even warms up.

1 minute ago, Twocan said:

long time till the fat lady even warms up.

Yup, but great to follow the micro action :) 

3 minutes ago, Twocan said:

Mapfre now in lead with DF now sailing 30° higher, long time till the fat lady even warms up.

MAPFRE is outpointing DF on each tack. Now sailing 13 degrees higher on stbd. They must have found a different setup that's working better. 

MAPF in sync for this shift--now getting 10º better TWD than DFRT. Last tack, they got 15-50º better lifts. 

1 hour ago, Miffy said:

Miffy, somehow I am going to figure out a way for you to receive a personal wake up call from Niall each and every day for the rest of your life.

2 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

MAPFRE is outpointing DF on each tack. Now sailing 13 degrees higher on stbd. They must have found a different setup that's working better. 

Nope, there are some really funky windshifts going on out there. Look at Skallywag's line and the shift that lifted them past TToP.

8 minutes ago, stief said:

Yup, but great to follow the micro action :) 

Shit if you are trying to actually get anything else done.:D

1 minute ago, Zander said:

Nope, there are some really funky windshifts going on out there. Look at Skallywag's line and the shift that lifted them past TToP.

Maybe, but the duration of the performance differential says otherwise. Something's going well on MAPFRE ... or poorly on DF. DF has been lower and slower than almost the whole fleet for the last hour. Either wickedly bad luck to be in the worst wind the whole time, or they have something set up differently for the worse. 

3 minutes ago, 2Newts said:

Maybe, but the duration of the performance differential says otherwise. Something's going well on MAPFRE ... or poorly on DF. DF has been lower and slower than almost the whole fleet for the last hour. Either wickedly bad luck to be in the worst wind the whole time, or they have something set up differently for the worse. 

Plastic bags?

• Like 1