Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

Sorry to say it, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the Legends. Not necessary by the boats, but by the recognition they received (or rather did not receive) by the event.
The "Parade of Sails" was, ahem, how to say... dull, the race start non-existent for the photo RIBs, because they (the RIBs) left too late, and from hat I saw, the public was often not sure whether they belong to the VOR at all, as they were berthed on the other side of the basin.

But maybe it was just my expectation to have them more as a central part of the event that was not met.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

To be honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the Legends. Not necessary by the boats, but by the recognition they received (or rather did not receive) by the event.
The "Parade of Sails" was, ahem, how to say... dull, the race start non-existent for the photo RIBs, because they (the RIBs) left too late, and from hat I saw, the public was often not sure whether they belong to the VOR at all, as they were berthed on the other side of the basin.

But maybe it was just my expectation to have them more as a central part of the event that was mot met.

Thanks. I wondered if they would be tracked, have the same course, and if there would be  dockout interviews. Oh well. 

Big shift in TWS and TWD happening. VS11 still looking well-positioned

623781163_ScreenShot2018-06-21at1_39_08PM.png.4ef4eae2f1b2154fbda9a61392ef6928.png

34 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

But maybe it was just my expectation to have them more as a central part of the event that was not met.

That is a huge shame. Maybe Volvo was allergic to their Whitbread stickers? Hopefully a better reception at the Hague.

So TBRU-AKZO will be able to read the numbers of the upcoming shift on AIS.

So, half an hour ago, the red boats went from port to starboard tack without changing course or barely slowing.  If VS had understood the shift coming they should have cracked sheets and got faster north / east to get to weather but looks like nobody in the fleet figured that out.  Tough to tell from AIS without TWD also.  

Sun is setting and they are getting close to land. What's the normal pattern in those waters? Does the wind normally die off in the evening?

Wondered why VS11 didn't use up a bit of their leverage, but the forecasted hole supposed to be NW might be worth avoiding.  Figured they'd infer TWD from COG and BS, since it's a beat.

6 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Like watching chess. Got to go check my eyelids for holes.

Figured you were on a bladder break after a quick nap. Speaking of quick, AKZO being lifted over TBRU like crazy, or the track hasn't updated.

LOL. what a mess!

1022790966_ScreenShot2018-06-21at2_35_02PM.png.d2b6b89c4ff181454ccf5385e4b07008.png

Cloggies need to hang on, the spaniards are fast downwind and would be hard to catch. :unsure:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elisa said:

Cloggies need to hang on, the spaniards are fast downwind and would be hard to catch. :unsure:

There are so many opportunities for screw ups in this north and south and north and west course, plenty of opportunities for all to make a move :D

7 minutes ago, Miffy said:

There are so many opportunities for screw ups in this north and south and north and west course, plenty of opportunities for all to make a move :D

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Might well be the other way around.

On Marine Tracker, MAPF is an hour behind :) https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:10.3/centery:58.6/zoom:9

Thanks guys, It is just the nerves I guess, I better get some sleep for my next stage of trackeglueing... I don’t know what I need more coffee or a drink or both... and it is only Thursday!

2 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Sorry to say it, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the Legends. Not necessary by the boats, but by the recognition they received (or rather did not receive) by the event.

Interesting to hear a real perspective. Thanks. 

TBRU first (with update)

Team Brunel - News

1501 UTC 
61 minutes have passed since the starting gun in Gothenburg for the final leg of this Volvo Ocean Race. If you're reading this I don't have to explain the stakes, how the team is tied for first place with Mapfre and Dongfeng and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place overall will be determined by the order that Brunel and the red boats cross the finish in The Hague. Fingers crossed our finish is better than our start. We had a bad one, had to pinch and compromise speed and settled into the fleet in 5th place, but with Mapfre behind and Dongfeng ahead we exited Gothenburg in 2nd place overall. With a jungle gym of a race course ahead, anything can happen and the team has three days to get ahead of Dongfeng. We're currently sailing upwind on port tack headed to the South of Norway. 16 knots TWS and 11.1kts boatspeed.

"We're bugger all close to everybody," says Pete. "Next stop, Norway. Hopefully with no stops."

1701 UTC 
I ask Capey, "Did you expect us to be more headed than this?"

"Yup," he says.

On the GPS we're almost laying the mark in Norway, with TWA -62, 12.7kts boat speed and 16kts TWS.

Mapfre is just off our stern and the pack with Dongfeng to leeward. If the wind angle holds or lifts we may be in a good spot on them. On deck, the discussion is about bunk placement. How on the VO65 the fastest place for the crew to put their weight is in the bed because its the most outboard (and low) spot on the yacht. f

"It's smart design because it forces people to go to sleep when they're off-watch instead of stay up here like an idiot," says Kyle while driving at the helm. The heritage/legends fleet is sailing nearby (according to AIS) and we groan at the idea of sitting on a rail during off watch around the world.

1955 UTC
First the wind shifted (knocked) 90 degrees and then dropped to sub 10 knots. All the gear was stacked forward and now the fleet is playing an angles/tacking game Northward. The crew says Dongfeng made small gain by being the first to go. So much intensity onboard but very peaceful conditions.

2248 UTC
Carlo estimates 7 or 8 tacks so far. It's been non-stop. No one has gotten out of their boots or HPX pants. 
It's like a constant state of standby.

https://brunelsailing.net/us/en/news/greenfield-leg11-day01

The #40 terrible twosome is ripping it up. So far, they are being kind to each other, sadly for BRUNEL.

• Like 1

I'd expect the geography to favor a starboard layline final approach with better angle and pressure.  Surprised no tacks yet.

10 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

I'd expect the geography to favor a starboard layline final approach with better angle and pressure.  Surprised no tacks yet.

Awaiting shift, likely. over an hour ago RaceExperts said there's likely to be a slight shift coming, so neither wants to blink it. DFRT staying high, MAPF footing a bit to get there first?

• Like 2

Some good shots of TTOP and SHKS when they were close together. TTOP has since inched ahead, so recovered well from that miserable shift earlier. 

(and judging by the shots, it'll be too dark for the heli and the rounding, despite solstice and longitude)

DFRT tacks first i nm from the mark. TTOP getting a nice lift 7.2 miles back. Bit surprised the fleet is stretched out so much702726719_ScreenShot2018-06-21at5_24_30PM.png.bbd30f108ea6d039a1a42506ea182cc4.png

• Like 2

/drift, thanks to the FP and the race on that other continent to the west. 

interesting to compare the two, and the hazards.

/end drift

• Like 3

3 hours ago, stief said:

Thanks. I wondered if they would be tracked, have the same course, and if there would be  dockout interviews. Oh well. 

They have a YB (yellow brick) tracker on board and you can download the app here:       http://yb.tl/volvolegends2018

They don't have to do the Norwegian and Danish detour, and should be in Scheveningen before their younger sisters.

There is also a Farcebook page, with pictures of all the boats:                   https://m.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/

Actually it's not really a Legends race as there are hardly any legends on the boats. Its more a charter fleet where people pay for the experience and to show off to their friends. Nevertheless nice to see the old Whitbread and Volvo boats, but better call it a Heritage Parade. Oh well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

They have a YB (yellow brick) tracker on board and you can download the app here:       http://yb.tl/volvolegends2018

They don't have to do the Norwegian and Danish detour, and should be in Scheveningen before their younger sisters.

There is also a Farcebook page, with pictures of all the boats:                   https://m.facebook.com/legendsrace2018/

Actually it's not really a Legends race as there are hardly any legends on the boats. Its more a charter fleet where people pay for the experience and to show off to their friends. Nevertheless nice to see the old Whitbread and Volvo boats, but better call it a Heritage Parade. Oh well.

Thanks, and good to read you again. I wondered if you had sailed to Europe to catch the action.

Couldn't log in to FaceBook, but following the tracker. Sorry to see we won't get to watch a VO70 tuning against a VO65, since the courses are so different.

On 6/20/2018 at 2:36 PM, Elisa said:

Yes, she is a boss, very inspirational lady. I loved watching her lead her team (together with Liz) through this though race. I hope she returns with another, perhaps slightly more matured team in the next race. And yes her English and voice is exceptionally pleasant to listen to :wub:.

How cool would it be if she came back with the same team? :-)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stief said:

Thanks, and good to read you again. I wondered if you had sailed to Europe to catch the action.

Yes indeed, set all the waypoint in the autopilot and woke up not far from Scheveningen. And you know, nothing goes to weather like a 747 !

Will try to make up for my absence here with Live reports and gossip on the spot.

• Like 3

With the Legends start a bit underwhelming in the audience department and as expected already so spread out, I'm surprised they didn't use a staggered start so they could finish reasonably close together.

Rothmans tracker might be on the blink as it currently shows her sitting in the carpark back in Gothenburg.

images (44).jpeg

37 minutes ago, stief said:

Bit surprised the fleet is stretched out so much

Really was a case of each side got favoured and no man's land was in the middle. In the the time before they finally head south there could still be some surprises from this initial torture track.

14 minutes ago, Fiji Bitter said:

Will try to make up for my absence here with Live reports and gossip on the spot.

Cool. For the Lives, Morgan Freeman voice might be good to hear.

And for gossip, curious about Witty winding up World Sailing with his encouragement of betting, and whether MAPF stressed their Southern Spar in the Melbourne leg gybe-fest, and how such a weakness (and TTOP's spreader root anomaly) managed to get through the NDA testing and inspection in Aukland (boatyard is great; wish I could hear more about their thoughts on that). Too, would really like to know if this post is true

And of course, anything that adds insights into the speed differences amongst the fleet. :D

7 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

With the Legends start a bit underwhelming in the audience department and as expected  so spread out, I'm surprised they didn't use a staggered start so they could finish reasonably close together.

Rothmans tracker might be on the blink as it currently shows her sitting in the carpark back in Gothenburg.

Haha. I'm enjoying Telefonica Blue chasing down Ericsson 4. Only 9 miles separating the two for the Line Honours.

13 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Scally tacked early and is getting lifted to the mark.  Put half a mile on Dee, who overstood the lift.

Hmmm. And now MAPF has gybed toward the pressure, and DFRT is letting them go? Odd.

Thanks to the local photo by Henrik Bergen we can see the light.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

Sorry to say it, but I was a bit underwhelmed by the Legends. Not necessary by the boats, but by the recognition they received (or rather did not receive) by the event.....

.....and from hat I saw, the public was often not sure whether they belong to the VOR at all, as they were berthed on the other side of the basin.

Ren here is the original map of the Race Village indicating the Legends and the boats racing were berthed side by side. It would appear this changed and so when you say "other side of the basin", is that where the Swedish Naval vessel is marked or somewhere else?? 

IMG_20180622_105724.jpg

Wonder if Vila is using the clouds to pick his gybe points. The last run lost them a mile, and no one can accuse either of the Red boats of following the leader.

1748560014_ScreenShot2018-06-21at7_27_57PM.png.9571e2db2bd34bc3444298e998dcf129.png

And, some interesting 24 hr run numbers in the 0100 sked. Looks like TTOP-SHKS sailed a lot more miles.

Rank Team At position
Hour UTC 24h run Waypoint
1 Dongfeng Race Team 00:58 UTC 78.9 nm Laeso NE
2 MAPFRE 00:58 UTC 78.0 nm Laeso NE
3 Vestas 11th Hour Racing 00:58 UTC 84.3 nm Laeso NE
4 Team AkzoNobel 00:59 UTC 87.0 nm Laeso NE
5 Team Brunel 00:59 UTC 87.4 nm Laeso NE
6 Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag 00:58 UTC 92.0 nm Laeso NE
7 Turn The Tide on Plastic 00:58 UTC 92.2 nm Laeso NE

And DFRT, with MAPF behind near the end. Fair number of spectators . Comments also about the breeze in the middle

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Beast Mode Killa said:

Brunel is having a shocker so far. :o

That's a bit harsh. Initial hit out of the blocks was good but then when they and Akzo got stuck in the middle getting no phase advantages it could only end as it has. Lots of minefields up ahead to give the cloggies a chance to get back into it

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stief said:

And, some interesting 24 hr run numbers in the 0100 sked. Looks like TTOP-SHKS sailed a lot more miles.

The mile count numbers that give navigators nightmares post race. The fact that both Vila and Pascal both found the shortest route along the racetrack and no-one else is telling. If the Dong had not come over from the western side Mapfre would be now way out in front alone.

Mapfre must be nearly time to gybe. Brunel & Akzo have had a good knock to soak down towards Mapfre's line and Brunel into 4th.

Edit: Mapfre gybed and after a couple of minutes on new board it looks life DFRT will cross in front.

Scrimping miles. Perhaps a bit too tempting this round.
With the scenic waypoints and the rocky geography below the surface I'd like to know who crashes out.

Lots of solstice stuff going on here. Sunset at 11:30pm tonight and it sb gorgeous as it was last night; sunrise at 4:30am tomorrow though it is not really dark in those hours between then. Up north in the state it's been sunlight 24/7. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Varan said:

Hot diggity dong!

Indeed. Could this be the elusive leg win?

Dongers on a MFG.:ph34r:

Borkeey better pull finger out, and pray there's a park up somewhere.....

Screwed the pooch so far....:unsure:

Remeber typing something about the reds leading and Brunel needing to find a way back in during the last leg. That time Bouwe and crew delivered. I am not sure they can do that again with the predicted light air for the second part of this leg.

Interesting times.

• Like 1

Goodmorning all, not sure if it is a good morning if you’re more into yellow and blue than red. Nerve wrecking, Hopefully we’ll see some more surprises...

• Like 1

Brunel is still in it with compressions to come, but they must be a bit shook from their performance so far. They started wrong end of the line and behind, got gassed and have been playing catchup (and losing ) on a rich get richer leg so far. Mapfre had a worse start and have done much better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ren here is the original map of the Race Village indicating the Legends and the boats racing were berthed side by side. It would appear this changed and so when you say "other side of the basin", is that where the Swedish Naval vessel is marked or somewhere else?? 

IMG_20180622_105724.jpg

Exactly. 

17 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

Exactly. 

Thanks Ren, as usual you are worth your weight in gold. I have noted that for stopover screw-ups for the race future thread. I would give you a likey but I have used up my daily allowance downvoting Randumb.

28 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Thanks Ren, as usual you are worth your weight in gold. I have noted that for stopover screw-ups for the race future thread.

It was only a two minute walk from the volvo boats to the legends boats, and closer to the entrance than the volvo boats....and as far as I could see, lots of people visited them. So I'm not sure I'd call them a screw-up....

Anyone remember the other awards given out at the end of the race, is there a under 25/under30?

Hans Horrevoets Rookie Award - Sophie was awarded last edition.

18 minutes ago, NORBowGirl said:

It was only a two minute walk from the volvo boats to the legends boats, and closer to the entrance than the volvo boats....and as far as I could see, lots of people visited them. So I'm not sure I'd call them a screw-up....

Norgirl I wasn't there...only relying on Ren's observation upthread that there appeared to be a disconnect happening, maybe in part by them being moved from the prime spot. Authenticity is one of manys things fundamental to this races survival.

12 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

34 minutes ago, Comsdown said:

Anyone remember the other awards given out at the end of the race, 

Only other one I can remember is Libby got the peer awarded Navigator gong..beside Sophie's HH Rookie Award, arguably the two most coveted.

The genisus to your question is the RO doesn't do a grand job of championing a plethora of leg by leg and end of race awards beyond the podium for some inexplicable reason.

Maybe everyone gets pissed at these award functions and then forgets?

Bloody hell, got all adult last night and went out for dinner and all hell breaks loose. What a wacky wacecourse?

Wow, I haven't looked at any numbers or wind shifts but what a slingshot the Dong got after the top mark! Talk about soaking, the tracker between 0200 and 0400 shows her going sideways.....has Charles discovered the secret to the Banana Pajama mode?

The back of the bus are all dragging buckets, Ivy League Charlie doing particularly well considering sailing was not on the list at Browns as an extra curricular activity where one got laid and the Red Tide are doing what tides do.

Still one more potential restart up ahead to keep the cloggies in the game.

unnamed (1).jpg

Brunel will have to pull their biggest rabbit out of the hat to win this one from 25 miles back. Let's hope Jack's prediction of a restart at some point is accurate for Brunel fans. Conversely one could argue that the 2 most consistent boats are in the lead as we speak, perhaps that's the way it should be? :blink:

Do we have one more thriller to play out in this leg? Me thinks so.......

• Like 1

No more  crystal ball thingy on the tracker ?

Too many TSS and stuff on the route or wish by the race organisation to increase online speculations ? :)

18 minutes ago, yl75 said:

Too many TSS and stuff on the route or wish by the race organisation to increase online speculations ? :)

They state "due to exclusion zones complexity" see the notices top right in tracker screen. 

By the way the current race tracker course does not tie in with the latest SI's amendment #4 posted on the website, I have asked the Race Experts now 3 hours ago what the course is going to be. As per SI's #4 or as currently in the tracker, to Aarhus and then straight to The Hague without extra intermediate waypoints. No reply yet. 

If the shorter course is being used, there is less opportunity left for TBRU to claw those miles back. They lost since the Norway rounding mark 23:50 UTC yesterday with a DTL of 5 nm to 25 nm now (08:53 UTC) = 20 nm in 9 hours. FFS. Not looking good at all for Bouwe, looking good for the red boats atm.

DTL.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NORBowGirl said:

I haven't called it a screw-up either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Rennmaus said:

The Legends race start:

EDIT: Better version:

If ever there was a golden opportunity for a well thought out handicap start.

2 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

A lost opportunity was the vibe I got.

• Like 1

I've got a funny feeling about this leg, it doesn't seem like a fitting end to the story, but that might be the hangover talking. Night people, I need to eat then sleep, getting the order right may be crucial.

1 hour ago, yl75 said:

The RO has only offered up a pretty basic Squid Tracker Routing program that has no means of putting in convoluted marks and no go areas...it would go spastic in the go kart track of this final leg...if they did then it would suggest to you all they are either ending up in Russia or having to dig more canals in the lowlands.

29 minutes ago, Rennmaus said:

My opinion: I was not in Gothenburg, but I was quite interested in the Legends boats and race. The VOR site was not current, not updated, and provided the bare minimum information. It stated rather more or less "stay tuned." There was nothing about whether the start was going to be shown live, and if so, where. Thankfully someone here posted it. Overall I was quite disappointed. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, paps49 said:

I've got a funny feeling about this leg, it doesn't seem like a fitting end to the story, but that might be the hangover talking.

No hangover paps...without a proper story this race has nothing. That said this leg could be a bonafide end to the story..too early to tell yet, but the course as set makes that dream coming true a hard one.

Good for selling cars though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

By the way the current race tracker course does not tie in with the latest SI's amendment #4 posted on the website, I have asked the Race Experts now 3 hours ago what the course is going to be. As per SI's #4 or as currently in the tracker, to Aarhus and then straight to The Hague without extra intermediate waypoints. No reply yet.