Herman

VOR Leg 11 Gothenburg to The Hague

I was thinking perhaps their employment contracts specified a certain words per minute. 

In retrospect Turner's brief influence on VOR was bringing in all the ppl he could from the Extreme series - try and make in port into a catamaran race, then quit leaving behind all the ppl he brought in while he's off doing whatever in switzerland and china.

TBRU-AKZO cross just avoided. Looked like AKZO was about to cross ahead.

Starting to feel this race should have finished in Gothenburg... watching is now edging close to being subjected to paper cuts and the sound of nails on a blackboard at the same time.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Herman said:

Trust me, I'm confused too as the latest course does not match the latest SI's. 

They should be going now from Aarhus to Skagen to that south-cardinal Oreflippen, than back south towards Aarhus to the Klokkegrund green lateral. After that around the Anholt windpark NE again to the Silderon east cardinal. Than north via the Laesso and Norway virtual mark to the North Sea.

course.jpg

Here's the simplified version of how I read the course...

1 - Gothenburg stuff (Channel Limits, Gaveskar Gate, Vassakaren, Botto, Buskar, Brede Baren, and Trubaduren).  This appears to just be to keep them off the rocks on the way out.

2 - Then go to the Steingrunnen mark up near Norway.

3 - Then go to Aarhus, leaving Laeso NE, Silderon East, Klokkergrun, and Oreflippen all to starboard.  So...  stay East of the islands and don't run aground when rounding the headland.  I don't see these as turning marks so much as setting a Western limit to the course (and then a Southern limit after turning the corner.  Not an exclusion zone, per se...  you could gybe in there and then gybe back out before the next mark...  but pretty much just a string of marks to leave all to one side.

4 - Then go back up to the "South Norway Virtual Mark", which as far as I can tell is very close to the "Steingrunnen" mark, observing the same string of Southern / Western limits.

5 - Then head for The Hague.

Looking at your chart, it looks like you have the Oreflipen South Cardinal Mark way up NW of Laeso.  I guess that would explain the confusion.  Is their a typo in the SI's location for that mark and/or in your placement of it?  I think their intent is for it to be somewhere between the Klokkergun and Aarhus Laid marks.

5 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Starting to feel this race should have finished in Gothenburg... watching is now edging close to being subjected to paper cuts and the sound of nails on a blackboard at the same time.

Or if Phil didn't muck with the course like this. Set departure time from Gothenburg, let the fleet go south and do the sponsor swing - then up to Norway and turn to port and away we go.

19 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Here's the simplified version of how I read the course...

1 - Gothenburg stuff (Channel Limits, Gaveskar Gate, Vassakaren, Botto, Buskar, Brede Baren, and Trubaduren).  This appears to just be to keep them off the rocks on the way out.

2 - Then go to the Steingrunnen mark up near Norway.

3 - Then go to Aarhus, leaving Laeso NE, Silderon East, Klokkergrun, and Oreflippen all to starboard.  So...  stay East of the islands and don't run aground when rounding the headland.  I don't see these as turning marks so much as setting a Western limit to the course (and then a Southern limit after turning the corner.  Not an exclusion zone, per se...  you could gybe in there and then gybe back out before the next mark...  but pretty much just a string of marks to leave all to one side.

4 - Then go back up to the "South Norway Virtual Mark", which as far as I can tell is very close to the "Steingrunnen" mark, observing the same string of Southern / Western limits.

5 - Then head for The Hague.

Looking at your chart, it looks like you have the Oreflipen South Cardinal Mark way up NW of Laeso.  I guess that would explain the confusion.  Is their a typo in the SI's location for that mark and/or in your placement of it?  I think their intent is for it to be somewhere between the Klokkergun and Aarhus Laid marks.

I had sort of come to the same conclusion as the blue highlighted section of Your Mom's text above.. My (free and almost unusable) chart also does not show a South Cardinal anywhere near Herman's positioning of the Oreflipen. (Though that may entirely be an error of the crappy chart I am using.)

EDIT: There is a distinct knuckle in the course of the reds just now, which may be where the mistery mark is.

11 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Or if Phil didn't muck with the course like this.

If there was a God, Phil and Nial would have been together up in a chopper long before now and didn't make it home for dinner.

TTOP just unfurled their M0 before their final tack into Inner Harbour by mistake. Even looked like the sheets weren't on. What a f#$kup

50 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

I’m thinking the same, any chance you can pour me a tequila cocktail again? I need one I think, hard times for the cloggie fans...:unsure:

6 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I’m thinking the same, any chance you can pour me a tequila cocktail again? I need one I think, hard times for the cloggie fans...:unsure:

Looks like Brunel knows it is over barring any major disaster for the red boats - it was a nice comeback while it lasted, they should be proud.

5 minutes ago, Miffy said:

Looks like Brunel knows it is over barring any major disaster for the red boats - it was a nice comeback while it lasted, they should be proud.

The last 250 nm or so will be into diminishing winds with the stragglers making rapid gains, and then they're supposed to have light running conditions at the finish...  with some decisions to make around the exclusion zones.  I agree that it's probably over for Brunel, but it's too soon to totally give up.  Their best move might be to work on getting more rest into their watch system while the red boats are killing themselves to stay out front, in hopes of being relatively fresh and mentally capable when they need to weave through the exclusion zones in light running conditions.

They are all going to be in a serious mess in 10 hours or so, and the two reds will hate having to go up round the mark in order to better enter the wind hole.

Of course not to give up - the two red boats can get themselves in trouble or snag something. But there aren't that many opportunities once the red boats turn port to exit skagerrak, and they're certainly not in a position to make up 20 nm heading towards Norway. 

The final dash to den haag with all the separation schemes - not a lot of routing possibilities. Like driving down an american race track.

I just hope and wish, especially for the Brunel team, they can lose fighting at the top of their game and have a close finish with the three leaders and not coming in 20 miles behind without having had a proper shot of winning this thing. It is a bit of a strange leg in that sense. I agree with Jack maybe it is just one leg too many. 

Bouwe Blog #83
Last night was the extreme case the rich got richer, or as we say as well, we missed the train. We didn't sail too smart yesterday afternoon and that has become expensive. At the rounding mark in Norway still in good contention, but then it went backward. Always less breeze then the two red boats. Vestas just managed to hang on to the pressure. Not that we sailed a bad downwind leg, sneaking around the other Dutch boat, gives a tiny bit of good feeling. 

Just crossing our fingers that the high pressure comes in a bit sooner so that the two red boats park up approaching Holland, we keep fighting until the end!

Cheers,

Bouwe

Ah, Elisa. Like Bouwe knows, the results can truly be less important than the joys of sailing competitively. Too, long suffering fans who wait years and years to see their teams finally clinch their "deserved" place can actually enjoy that part too, in a masochistic sort of way. 

Almost kidding. Whatever the result happens to be, this is a great edition for us, thanks to Mark Turner's 'openness' policy that he started when managing DFRT. The rabid partisan fans  have mostly dropped out too. I think I'll be able to celebrate whomever wins this leg, and am looking forward to the next. 

Still hoping that it will be MAPF's turn. It's been so close for so long, but no matter. There's always the next edition

Back to the tracker and following the changing number, puff by puff :D

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stief said:

Ah, Elisa. Like Bouwe knows, the results can truly be less important than the joys of sailing competitively. Too, long suffering fans who wait years and years to see their teams finally clinch their "deserved" place can actually enjoy that part too, in a masochistic sort of way. 

Almost kidding. Whatever the result happens to be, this is a great edition for us, thanks to Mark Turner's 'openness' policy that he started when managing DFRT. The rabid partisan fans  have mostly dropped out too. I think I'll be able to celebrate whomever wins this leg, and am looking forward to the next. 

Still hoping that it will be MAPF's turn. It's been so close for so long, but no matter. There's always the next edition

Back to the tracker and following the changing number, puff by puff :D

Wise words Stief and I think you’re right, may the best boat win (regardless the color). All three deserve it for different reasons. All teams are winners for completing this race, and it is ‘just’ a yacht race after all. I agree we all must have some masochistic corners in our minds to see ‘our teams’ through to the end including the highs and the lows. All teams have had those and that drama is very much part of watching the race... and who doesn’t like a hero-to zero or a good comeback story. It is not over yet and definitely not for the red boats :).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Elisa said:

I’m now trying to get drunk early in the vrijmibo in order not to check the tracker  :lol:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, yl75 said:

They are all going to be in a serious mess in 10 hours or so, and the two reds will hate having to go up round the mark in order to better enter the wind hole.

I’ll do a routing this weekend with the Hirlam model + currents.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, yl75 said:

Thanks a lot, had managed to find them through google "volvo ocean race sailing instructions", but they do not appear anywhere in the site menu right ?

Right. Not on the menu, but see Herman's screenie for the position of the link (link is in my previous post). The Media Hub link also has good info, and is right beside the Noticeboard one at the bottom of some of the VOR pages.

Could be a passing lane on the right with an offshore breeze in 9 hours.  Otherwise nip around the tip and get to the breeze on the left, but sailing close hauled.  

If the red boats start dropping TWS, a trailing boat could make things interesting by coming up 30 degrees and going left of Byrum.  They're all sailing at 100 TWA right now.

I came down for the fly-by in Aarhus today.
Got some pretty nice footage, will probably share later.
To be honest, before today I didn't like the harbour-sailing idea, but it was actually a very good experience, and the crowd surely enjoyed it.
It can be argued that it is too much of a circus, since three boats are trying to settle the scores of an ocean race, but honestly who could have known that it would end up this way?
It worked well, and I have never been to a sailing event where there were so many non-sailors with lovely stupid questions.
Now that is something that I like.

• Like 6

Red boats just came up 30 degrees to go just below Byrum.  Maybe too tight for VS to go above it, but Cloggies should turn left now.

24 minutes ago, ModernViking said:

I came down for the fly-by in Aarhus today.
Got some pretty nice footage, will probably share later.
To be honest, before today I didn't like the harbour-sailing idea, but it was actually a very good experience, and the crowd surely enjoyed it.
It can be argued that it is too much of a circus, since three boats are trying to settle the scores of an ocean race, but honestly who could have known that it would end up this way?
It worked well, and I have never been to a sailing event where there were so many non-sailors with lovely stupid questions.
Now that is something that I like.

The event needs to get non-sailors interested somehow for sponsors sake/ROI. While it is quite weird, this is one way to at least try to get more people interested. Also little cost to the event.

• Like 1

Wundermap shows 5-10 knots on both sides of the course and major header on the right.  Come on Bouwe  LEFT TURN NOW!!

Best advert ever for one design sailing & racing

VS is clearly in AIS of the Reds and hasn't come up. Seems like they would at least cut the corner if they're going to follow.  They may think it's just a luffing battle, but DF came up first.   Split coming?

3 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Wundermap shows 5-10 knots on both sides of the course and major header on the right.  Come on Bouwe  LEFT TURN NOW!!

Calm down, they have a cardinal to leave on port
Silderon East 57 07.713N 11 22.427E
East Cardinal mark

Poor Vestas.  Isn't anybody their friend?  Everybody else has a buddy.

2 hours ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Could be a passing lane on the right with an offshore breeze in 9 hours.  Otherwise nip around the tip and get to the breeze on the left, but sailing close hauled.  

That “nip around the tip” could be interesting... pretty heavy tide can run around that corner. High tide 2:00am CET

23 minutes ago, tallyho said:

That “nip around the tip” could be interesting... pretty heavy tide can run around that corner. High tide 2:00am CET

If the tip in question is Skagen (the point sticking out at the NNE end of Denmark)...  They won't be simply nipping around that.  They have to go around the "South Norway Virtual Mark" about 55 nm NNW from there.

But...  if the lighter winds persist up there, that (and the TSS shortly after it) could produce some further fleet compression and/or opportunities for gains.

So what is the course ? Do they just have to go up this point next to Norway, or is there another round down ?

14 minutes ago, yl75 said:

So what is the course ? Do they just have to go up this point next to Norway, or is there another round down ?

Sailing Instructions 2017-18 Leg 11 Addendum, Amendment 5 (PDF 1.8MB)

After the buoy off South Norway, it's basically "go to The Hague as fast as you can, while avoiding a variety of exclusion zones".

• Like 1

I think Charles and Pascal can feel Xabi's breath on their neck. Must not be very comfortable. It's really too close for my liking.

On another matter, it seems the Danish don't want to share their nautical charts with us... And anyone knows why they took the magical ball off the tracker for this leg? 

danish.PNG

29 minutes ago, Hydrogene said:

I think Charles and Pascal can feel Xabi's breath on their neck. Must not be very comfortable. It's really too close for my liking.

On another matter, it seems the Danish don't want to share their nautical charts with us... And anyone knows why they took the magical ball off the tracker for this leg? 

danish.PNG

image.png.656200ac008d4257e1bb8c3f5d937df9.png

• Like 1

Go the Paintwagon, go Yellow! 

• Like 3

Might wind up with a restart by the time they get to that South Norway mark.  Do the heavy reaching conditions they'll get into eventually after that align with Brunel's dominant mode?

2 hours ago, ardel said:

Calm down, they have a cardinal to leave on port
Silderon East 57 07.713N 11 22.427E
East Cardinal mark

Thanks.  They didn't put it on the tracker because....??

Tricky navigators' challenge here...  based on angles, you'd go hard right, all the way to Gothenburg, get a huge header on the way, and then tack and eventually be reaching to the mark.  But...  you'd be doing it in <5 kts for a lot of the time.  On the other hand, you could go hard left, getting 15-20 kts if you go far enough, but you'll have to sail a lot of extra distance to get far enough left to fetch the mark.

5 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Might wind up with a restart by the time they get to that South Norway mark.  Do the heavy reaching conditions they'll get into eventually after that align with Brunel's dominant mode?

If the heavy reaching conditions are still there once the fleet reaches that area. The forecast is for wind to decrease on the west side of Denmark.

Regarding lead change: looks like DF tacked a little too late.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Dumas said:

Thanks.  They didn't put it on the tracker because....??

I'm guessing because the SI were revised 5 times in 7 days and the procedures for getting revisions through the various steps to actually get to the tracker have too much lag for that.  I'm guessing most of us know the frustrating realities of how long it takes to get from "Marketing has an idea" to "IT has implemented the idea"...  (I work in IT)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

I'm guessing because the SI were revised 5 times in 7 days and the procedures for getting revisions through the various steps to actually get to the tracker have too much lag for that.  I'm guessing most of us know the frustrating realities of how long it takes to get from "Marketing has an idea" to "IT has implemented the idea"...  (I work in IT)

Well, they were able to move the mark South of Norway quite quickly. And frankly any halfway decent tracker software should allow quick entry or removal of waypoints via an UI. Especially since there is staff in place in Alicante 24/7. (Work in IT as well ;) )

This is nerve wracking.  Who's still sober and who's medicated?

• Like 4

Update from OBR Sam Greenfield onboard Team Brunel: 

Shortly after leaving Arhaus we were rolled by Akzonobel to windward on a bad sail deploy. It was a bitter sight on top of an already frustrating day for the crew. We were just coming up on a passing mark that required both crews to harden up or hit rocks, so we were forced to fall in line to their stern. We're now tight running back to Norway, with boat speeds above 20kts in 22kts of breeze. Right now the entire crew is thinking about potential for passing lanes as this already short leg ticks away with the leads far ahead.

"I'm trying to remain positive," said Abby,"but it's hard."

Carlo is literally nodding off to sleep at the main pedestal, despite the wind and spray.The entire crew is exhausted. For sheer intensity and volume of peels and maneuvers, this might be the tiring leg yet of the entire race.

• Like 2

Indeed.  The RC has certainly created the gauntlet.  The final tortuous run to separate them out.  Navy Seal Hell Week.

• Like 1

With the upcoming fleet compression, if some boats haven't slept at all, those who have some members who have had a few hours of sleep might be able to seriously outperform in the final day.  I'm surprised to hear the comment about Carlo nodding off...  makes me think maybe several boats have over-extended their sleep deprivation thus far.  This kind of "coastal distance race" is mentally and physiologically a different game from a true ocean race.  (Reminds me of the Vineyard Race and the Block Island Race, for example, for New England US folks' reference).  Instead of "we're at this for weeks, so we'll get into a proper watch system and sleep according to the schedule" it's "you must sleep at some point, whether you want to or not, because you'll be defective later if you don't" versus "I can stay awake for 60 hours straight if that's what it takes to win".

(I was doing those races on a slower boat...  the really fast boats can probably do it without sleep...  we weren't that fast)

• Like 2

Final four boats now within a mile of each other on the DTL, that would be something to see live and in person.

• Like 1

Legends 

Ericsson 4 followed by Telefonica Blue are tied up. Illbruck 60 mile to go. Last one  Neptune 260 DTF and might finish around same time Sunday as their big brothers. Copernicus looks to have retired which is a bit sad. 

10 hours ago, stief said:

Dee too, calm as ever. Kudos for the slightly sardonic "deja vu" bit.

A race within a race, as it should be. 

• Like 1

Drive it like you own it.

After that start of his if you put a next edition contract in front of Witty's boss he would have signed it.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, southerncross said:

I’m drunk and going to sleep, wish you all a good watch with some awesome and exciting racing, 

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Tricky navigators' challenge here...  based on angles, you'd go hard right, all the way to Gothenburg, get a huge header on the way, and then tack and eventually be reaching to the mark.  But...  you'd be doing it in <5 kts for a lot of the time.  On the other hand, you could go hard left, getting 15-20 kts if you go far enough, but you'll have to sail a lot of extra distance to get far enough left to fetch the mark.

Never mind.  Based on TWD, the wind has already gone a lot further right than the wind overlay in the tracker suggests, for everyone.  They're all laying the mark now, unless it's still unstable.

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Been feeling this race should have skipped Newport. What a cluster fuck finish that was.

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, Elisa said:

I’m drunk and going to sleep, wish you all a good watch with some awesome and exciting racing, 

Much better than being drunk and waking up, Elisa. Much, much better. Sweet dreams. ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, albanyguy said:

TTOP just unfurled their M0 before their final tack into Inner Harbour by mistake. Even looked like the sheets weren't on. What a f#$kup

I think the fact that on all the boats no one has slept more than a few minutes is starting to take its toll. (Also, it was just a tricky set of maneuvers to pull off.) I know they're all tough seafaring professional men and women who can push it with caffeine and willpower, but I still feel like this leg is long enough that biology/neurology matters. They should be getting actual sleep. I think a team that does is going to have a big advantage going into the last part of the leg.

Of course, if they're behind at that point because they took it too easy earlier on, having nice form on their end-of-leg maneuvers won't really mean much.

Also, side note based on my just checking the tracker: ¡Vamos MAPFRE! :D

49 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

With the upcoming fleet compression, if some boats haven't slept at all, those who have some members who have had a few hours of sleep might be able to seriously outperform in the final day.  I'm surprised to hear the comment about Carlo nodding off...  makes me think maybe several boats have over-extended their sleep deprivation thus far.  This kind of "coastal distance race" is mentally and physiologically a different game from a true ocean race.  (Reminds me of the Vineyard Race and the Block Island Race, for example, for New England US folks' reference).  Instead of "we're at this for weeks, so we'll get into a proper watch system and sleep according to the schedule" it's "you must sleep at some point, whether you want to or not, because you'll be defective later if you don't" versus "I can stay awake for 60 hours straight if that's what it takes to win".

(I was doing those races on a slower boat...  the really fast boats can probably do it without sleep...  we weren't that fast)

I think Charles is asleep sitting up at the nav station at the beginning of this video:

1 hour ago, southerncross said:

34 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Ericsson 4 followed by Telefonica Blue are tied up.

In my stupor I missed the obvious reference where to follow Legends. Linky?

Some thread drift to wake you up

The cast of new Quentin Tarantino movie called "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" about the Manson Family murders.

You could run half a dozen editions of  this race with the wage bill.

- Al Pacino - Leo DiCaprio - Brad Pitt - Kurt Russell - Margot Robbie - Timothy Olyphant - Luke Perry - Damian Lewis - Dakota Fanning - Emile Hirsch - Clifton Collins Jr - Tim Roth - Michael Madsen - Keith Jefferson - Nicholas Hammond - Scott McNairy etc

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, thengling said:

In my stupor I missed the obvious reference where to follow Legends. Linky?

They are Yellow Bricked up and a Facebook page.

Thanks. Simultaneously found it too. All it took was another drink

8 hours ago, jack_sparrow said:

Agreed, it’s run it’s course for this race. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

The cast of new Quentin Tarantino movie called "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" about the Manson Family murders.

- Al Pacino - Leo DiCaprio - Brad Pitt - Margot Robbie - Timothy Olyphant - Luke Perry - Damian Lewis - Dakota Fanning - Emile Hirsch - Clifton Collins Jr - Tim Roth - Michael Madsen - Keith Jefferson - Nicholas Hammond - Scott McNairy

After the first four, I have no idea who those people are.  Have to be sent back for re-grooving I guess.

55 minutes ago, Elisa said:

A good decision. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

After the first four, I have no idea who those people are.  Have to be sent back for re-grooving I guess.

You must of missed most of the older Tarantino films then. Worth watching. 

57 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

- Al Pacino - Leo DiCaprio - Brad Pitt - Kurt Russell - Margot Robbie - Timothy Olyphant - Luke Perry - Damian Lewis - Dakota Fanning - Emile Hirsch - Clifton Collins Jr - Tim Roth - Michael Madsen - Keith Jefferson - Nicholas Hammond - Scott McNairy etc

Too many famous faces wanting a piece of this. Not good.

Getting to this top mark is becoming a bit of a struggle, could get very interesting this morning. Wind info on the Tracker is useless and track info on Windy is just as bad.

Actually Windy is ignoring the next mark all together, Skagen on the left and off to the Hague.

Windy has got with the program and is forecasting a soft rounding.

skagen.JPG

DF has clawed her way back to Mapre, just as sadness was about to hit me. Vegas gaining though and closing the gap. :(

Pre rounding parkup and post rounding looks to be both soft possibly on the nose for leaders..probably last chance now for stragglers to get back into it. Once leaders hit the NW they are gone...and that will more than compensate for the soft finish and resulting compression. Capey might have have found a buffalo pathway ahead???

This could be the yellow boats only chance....Not much in the way of a passing lane however. It’s gone very soft up ahead.

4 minutes ago, jack_sparrow said:

Pre rounding parkup and post rounding looks to be both soft possibly on the nose for leaders..probably last chance for stragglers to get back into it. Once leaders hit the NW they are gone...and that will more than compensate for the soft finish and resulting compression. Capey might have have found a buffalo pathway ahead???

Who do ya reckon will get the luck capey?