Shootist Jeff

Tour de France - 2018

I can't wait to watch some cycling again!  Who are the favorites this year?  Is this going to finally be Ritchie Port's Tour to win?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-continues-march-towards-tour-de-france-with-yellow-in-suisse/

And I love they have the TTT in this year.  

1 hour ago, mad said:

Will Froome be there? 

Yup, but it's hard to ride with a great big hairy elephant on your back

11 hours ago, Dorado said:

Yup, but it's hard to ride with a great big hairy elephant on your back

Apparently there's some medication that helps.....

How has NQ been doing this year?  He is always considered one of the favorites, and is a helluva climber.  But he just always seems to fade in the 3rd week.  I think he may be a bit too small to be able to deal with the stress of the varied disciplines it requires to succeed at the tour.

Is the sport clean yet? Or still full of cheaters?

The winner will be the person who hides the needles best and has the best medical "consultants" money can buy.

On 6/15/2018 at 1:50 AM, Shootist Jeff said:

I can't wait to watch some cycling again!  Who are the favorites this year?  Is this going to finally be Ritchie Port's Tour to win?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/richie-porte-continues-march-towards-tour-de-france-with-yellow-in-suisse/

And I love they have the TTT in this year.  

Watch out, Mid might accuse you of Racism again, there aren't very many riders of Colour on the Tour!

1 hour ago, Fakenews said:

Let all the riders dope freely problem solved.

Sure thing gaytor.

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Badger calling for a rider’s strike over the CF biz is kinda cool.   Ensures that CF will be spat on endlessly by French fans.   

It’s all we got - UCI gone missing again on big money stars and crank.

4 hours ago, Raz'r said:

Yes

5 hours ago, Dorado said:

Yes

No its not. It is cleaner than it has ever been but there are still plenty at the sharp end that are way ahead of the those trying to catch them. There is a huge question mark over British cycling and Froome in particular. Any extraordinary performance demands serious scrutiny. Froome's ride in the stage from Turin to Monte Jafferau in the Giro was 'Landis like' and the entire performance of team Sky smacks of US Postal/Disco Channel. Amaury Sport should think long and hard about letting him start this year. Enough  yellow Jerseys have been taken back over the past decade. Look at history. Froome turned himself from a  journeyman to the greatest climber and Grand tour TTer on earth in one season. The last two blokes to do that were called Lance and Alberto. 

Among the clean riders, I think it is Ritchie's year if he can stay on the bike but as we have just seen at the Giro those Yates boys are ones to watch. Mitchelton-Scott have picked a squad focused solely to supporting Adam and should be the team to watch in the TTT. Quintana has the goods to win and the riders to back him but Movistar have to overcome the typical spanish teams lack of disipline. But if Froome starts he will win because he and his team will be the most 'prepared'.

Sagan should win his 6th green if he doesn't do anything stupid. 

• Like 2

Yes, it's both clean and has cheaters. 

LB, what do you think about GT. Clean or juiced? 

10 minutes ago, Dorado said:

Yes, it's both clean and has cheaters. 

LB, what do you think about GT. Clean or juiced? 

Sadly I think all the Sky squad are on something. Just like USP were.  GT was always a real talent but when the entire team are pulling up a 1st cat climb without their mouths open ya got to wonder.

13 hours ago, Raz'r said:

No one takes drugs anymore.

Supplements?  Fuck yeah......

Will be pulling for Rigoberto Uran.  Great second place showing last year,  and on an American Team.

And he stayed with the American team this year-  when he could have easily gone elsewhere.

He seems to be a clean rider, but I may be (probably am) wrong...

Maybe Landa this year for an upset?

Movi stacked with GC contenders, how they sort out who rides for whom could throw it all  off the tracks.

Richie Porte!   As always, good luck and keep the rubber on the road Mr Porte.

It looks it is medicine abuse again in some groups,for instance lots of Tramadol spores found. I used it, it helps against pain after operation. Normal persons should not use it, makes you groggy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ErieJ24 said:

Will be pulling for Rigoberto Uran.  Great second place showing last year,  and on an American Team.

And he stayed with the American team this year-  when he could have easily gone elsewhere.

He seems to be a clean rider, but I may be (probably am) wrong...

I like him as well. He has bad days and looks like he is hurting on the climbs. He had a big motor and comes across as a humble guy. 

4 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Maybe Landa this year for an upset?

Movi stacked with GC contenders, how they sort out who rides for whom could throw it all  off the tracks.

Richie Porte!   As always, good luck and keep the rubber on the road Mr Porte.

That's the problem with Spanish teams. Winning on the day seems more important than the 21 day picture. Landa can change tempo on a climb like no one else and has shown he can ride for the team as well. Movi will be the most interesting team to watch. Much more so than the Sky robots. 

3 hours ago, LeoV said:

Normal persons should not use it, makes you groggy.

I feel the same way about rum.

4 hours ago, LeoV said:

It looks it is medicine abuse again in some groups,for instance lots of Tramadol spores found. I used it, it helps against pain after operation. Normal persons should not use it, makes you groggy.

Agreed, it’s even been the title for a (dark) comedy show.

81tlgvxInGL._SY445_.jpg.8e4ba1e2469bad28a4845aff2eebbdde.jpg

Fuck going downhill on a Tour leg having had a dose of that, you’re going to need doping with ‘uppers’ to deal with that. 

o, still have a few of them, should be peddling them to cyclists.
And I have morphine as well, who bids ???

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:
4 hours ago, LeoV said:

Normal persons should not use it, makes you groggy.

I feel the same way about rum.

Rum is way easier than the hangover from that stuff, trust me on this one. I have a decade of research on this particular subject. :wacko:

1 minute ago, LeoV said:

o, still have a few of them, should be peddling them to cyclists.
And I have morphine as well, who bids ???

PM me, we can compare the pharmacy list and the side effects. :wacko: :lol:

• Like 1

I have something that can make you alert, over active and constipated, one little pill a day, impossible to detect.
Specially the constipated part saves you time on the bike :)

Actually, operation successful, some parts removed, no pain, so I only need that little pill.

3 hours ago, LeoV said:

I have something that can make you alert, over active and constipated, one little pill a day, impossible to detect.
Specially the constipated part saves you time on the bike :)

Actually, operation successful, some parts removed, no pain, so I only need that little pill.

Do you have Dumoulin's number? He could've done with some of that during last year's Giro :lol:

Albanguy I know, but get the doses wrong, your shitting like crazy, are tired and can not think, that was a bad period for me :)

That Astma drug, it is so funny, their argument is, I have astma, so I need to puff. This spring they were driving into the mountains, clean air, not in pollen season, and Froome puffing away while on his bike. while other  asthma sufferers in the peleton declared after the stage never had any need to puff.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but the "sleepers" tend to depend on what plays out with injuries and withdrawals.  For example, if something happens to Porte, then TJvG could suddenly be a huge sleeper.  I think he'll be much happier, and perform better, in support of Porte than front-lining a team...  but if he stays high in the GC while doing that job and then something happens to Porte, who knows.  Just one example.  Plenty of guys out there like that.

Lots of hate for CF and Sky.  But they aren't dopers until they are proven to be dopers.  I"m sure Froome gets tested after every single stage.  If he gets caught and tests positive, I'll be the first to get out the noose and burn him on the bonfire.  Until then, he's a multiple Yellow Jersey winner and deserves the respect of the peloton until proven otherwise.

10 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Lots of hate for CF and Sky.  But they aren't dopers until they are proven to be dopers.  I"m sure Froome gets tested after every single stage.  If he gets caught and tests positive, I'll be the first to get out the noose and burn him on the bonfire.  Until then, he's a multiple Yellow Jersey winner and deserves the respect of the peloton until proven otherwise.

I hope he gets hit by a bus. Metaphorically speaking of course.

3 minutes ago, doghouse said:

I hope he gets hit by a bus. Metaphorically speaking of course.

Why?  I honestly don't get the hate.  It seems as soon as someone dominates, they are immediately hated.  Is it the LA effect?

46 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

If he gets caught and tests positive

He is caught over using a substance in an incredible amount, his lawyers are keeping him from being booted. So get your noose ready.

31 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Why?  I honestly don't get the hate.  It seems as soon as someone dominates, they are immediately hated.  Is it the LA effect?

Because he is doped out of his fucking mind. Anyone who doesn't realize that is either deluding themselves, incredibly bad at critical thinking or has no understanding of cycling whatsoever.

For most people, it does happen to be the latter,  as evidenced by this thread, because the only thing they know is the Tour, but for plenty it's the first. People listing Porte as one of the 'clean" riders? LOL.

Edit: Just so everyone is clear, anyone tangentially involved in this sport knows that blood bags are used by basically every team,and the better teams have very good microdosing scheduling. This is not some outlandish theory, it's common knowledge.

31 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Because he is doped out of his fucking mind. Anyone who doesn't realize that is either deluding themselves, incredibly bad at critical thinking or has no understanding of cycling whatsoever.

For most people, it does happen to be the latter,  as evidenced by this thread, because the only thing they know is the Tour, but for plenty it's the first. People listing Porte as one of the 'clean" riders? LOL.

Edit: Just so everyone is clear, anyone tangentially involved in this sport knows that blood bags are used by basically every team,and the better teams have very good microdosing scheduling. This is not some outlandish theory, it's common knowledge.

https://www.amazon.com/Dog-Hat-American-Betrayal-Belgium/dp/1934030260

You’re on to something here - care to share your Porte stories?

Anyway, it is a fucked up mess at the pro level, we can hope somebody, somehow wins big with the sketchy bullshit that goes with winning GT’s.  Doubtfull I admit.

Richie got me into swimming for rehab/recovery and I will be forever grateful. Think he’s a cool dude to boot.   Just my take, never met the man.

2 hours ago, doghouse said:

And you know this how? I know Several pro's including Robbie Mac and Porte has got where he is by sheer hard work and talent. He didn't come from no where to win 6 Grand Tours like that cheating Kenyan.  

Sure bro.

I like Porte btw, that's who I'm cheering for to knock the Kenyan the fuck out.

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Agreed, but it’s getting difficult not to be slightly cynical.  Team Sky still have unanswered questions and lots of deflection prior to this one. 

On the bright side, now that the Tour is almost here, everyone can pretend like they care about cycling for 10 minutes 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LB 15 said:

And you know this how? I know Several pro's including Robbie Mac and Porte has got where he is by sheer hard work and talent. He didn't come from no where to win 6 Grand Tours like that cheating Kenyan.  

We had this discussion over stuart ogrady.

You were mistaken then.

All these guys are on supplements, boosting themselves up to the limits. Sometimes a minor mistake in the supplement regime puts the over.

The line between a drug cheat and a champion is a cunt hair on a bee.

6 hours ago, doghouse said:

On the bright side, now that the Tour is almost here, everyone can pretend like they care about cycling for 10 minutes 

I care about it from January until late October. But July is special. The trick is not getting lured into watching all the sprinters stages early on. I like to keep my late night powder dry for the big stages.

If I were on the right coast of Oz I'd do the same but being on the left coast most races are finished by around 11pm. A good argument to come over for a visit during the tour LB.

Looking forward to the Tour kicking off next weekend. Wishing Richie the best in achieving his goal of finishing atop the podium. Also hoping Adam Yates can last the distance for a podium position too given he's on the "Australian" team, even though he's a Pom. Would be good if Landa were able to keep Froome off the podium.

5 hours ago, LB 15 said:

I care about it from January until late October. But July is special. The trick is not getting lured into watching all the sprinters stages early on. I like to keep my late night powder dry for the big stages.

The Tour might crack the top 5 in races I care about.

What’s up with Chaves?  He riding for Yates or is he their main guy.?    Thought he blew up at Giro didn’t he?   I’m not up to speed on top GC guys yet.

I watch while sipping my morning coffee....enjoy the scenery and commentary and banter....kind of like watching the final round of the Masters or a Saturday morning bass fishing show....I don't fish...ride a road bike or golf....it is a nice escape

6 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

enjoy the scenery and commentary and banter

Paul talking about castles is by far my favorite part of the Tour.

Fernando Gaviria appears to be getting a lot of hype as a possible multi-stage winner.  Apparently very high top-end speed.  It'll be interesting to see if he can get through three weeks.

7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

What’s up with Chaves?  He riding for Yates or is he their main guy.?    Thought he blew up at Giro didn’t he?   I’m not up to speed on top GC guys yet.

Wat.

7 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Chaves is not doing the Tour

On 6/29/2018 at 12:00 AM, doghouse said:

I have long said that this whole ban on doping is ridiculous.  So fucking what?  ALL sports is entertainment at the end of the day.  If the cycling world gets better entertainment out of Lance or Froome putting in super-human climbs in the alps - then what's wrong with that?  If everyone can dope and start on a level playing field, what's the harm?  As long as its an informed choice the athletes make knowing the consequences to their long term health.  

Besides, its not like the riders or any other athlete who dopes doesn't still have to have the genetics and put in the work to be at the top.  You don't take a couch potato like me who rides 50km a day for fun and inject me with stuff and expect me to win a mountain stage in the TdF.  

If its such common knowledge that all teams are "doing" it, then stop the charade and allow it openly and have a truly level playing field.  

I would bet you if there was a Doping TDF and a Non-Doping TDF running back to back - which one would the public want to watch the most?  Same with the NFL - a doped League and a non-doped league....  Which one would have higher TV ratings?

Just saying.

• Like 1

Wow, I did not know this.  The UAE / Emirates Airlines has a team in the TDF this year!  Led by Dan Martin and Alexander Kristoff.  Very cool.  

bettiniphoto_0340140_1_2000px_670.jpg

3 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Wow, I did not know this.  The UAE / Emirates Airlines has a team in the TDF this year!  Led by Tony Martin and Alexander Kristoff.  Very cool.  

landscape-1503418029-wahlberg.gif

Sorry, Dan not Tony :blink:

They have been a World Tour team for a couple years too btw and raced last years tour. It's just Lampres new sponsor.

The reason you can't have wide open doping is very obvious. The riders will literally kill themselves like back in the day. It also benefits the shitty riders disproportionately. Your VO2max and hematocrit can only go so high, all you do is bring the shit riders to the level of the good ones (see:Froome, Chris). This makes for more boring racing, not more exciting. 

The only reason there is widespread doping is the authorities are a fucking joke 

12 minutes ago, doghouse said:

They have been a World Tour team for a couple years too btw and raced last years tour. It's just Lampres new sponsor.

The reason you can't have wide open doping is very obvious. The riders will literally kill themselves like back in the day. It also benefits the shitty riders disproportionately. Your VO2max and hematocrit can only go so high, all you do is bring the shit riders to the level of the good ones (see:Froome, Chris). This makes for more boring racing, not more exciting. 

The only reason there is widespread doping is the authorities are a fucking joke 

Fair enough.

52 minutes ago, doghouse said:

That actually a good take that I hadn’t thought of.  They’ll literally kill themselves trying to compete and spot on re Froome.  He was never an elite rider like indurain, Armstrong, Hinualt  or Lemond.  He got himself there by doping and building a Super team. Also on point the tour has got more boring.  Even with US postal there were people who could throw down with Armstrong, but he was an once in a generation talent and probably the most remorseless competitor in tour history.

good article here which addresses your first point.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/100-tours-100-tales/2014/jan/23/cycling-relationship-depression-doping

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Edit Fignon

Le Professor.

Viviani continues his run of form with the Italian championship today. Pretty stoked, good dude.

2 hours ago, Fakenews said:

That actually a good take that I hadn’t thought of.  They’ll literally kill themselves trying to compete and spot on re Froome.  He was never an elite rider like indurain, Armstrong, Hinualt  or Lemond.  He got himself there by doping and building a Super team. Also on point the tour has got more boring.  Even with US postal there were people who could throw down with Armstrong, but he was an once in a generation talent and probably the most remorseless competitor in tour history.

good article here which addresses your first point.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/100-tours-100-tales/2014/jan/23/cycling-relationship-depression-doping

Bjarne Riis bumping his Hematocrit north of 50 was some crazy stuff.  You do that, ride 2300 hard miles (and win TDF no less) and, live to talk about it , you’re a lucky fool.

Cat 2 who’s long time racer hereabouts always says about hardcore cyclists - “we’re all a bunch of knuckleheads.”

11 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

I would bet you if there was a Doping TDF and a Non-Doping TDF running back to back - which one would the public want to watch the most?  

The doping tour could be done over a week.  Just have three 200k stages each day. Or just one 2700 k stage with a 100k TT at the end.

This idea has legs Jeff...,

Car crashes make car races  The success of a dope tour can be measured in heads flying off and chests exploding 2/3's the way up l'alpe d'huez.

I'm in!

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

The doping tour could be done over a week.  Just have three 200k stages each day. Or just one 2700 k stage with a 100k TT at the end.

This idea has legs Jeff...,

I’d suggest doing 2700 nonstop.  Strongest of sleep-deprived will prevail. Coke and Black Beauty cocktails.  Heinous looking TT rigs with extended arm rests, Aero helmets and 8 water bottles plastered all over frame.

Fun crashes too.  Like RAAM where staying in saddle for 30+ hrs at a crack leads to nodding off on bike & wrapping oneself around road furniture.

Froome not welcome at the TDF (ASO), lawyers have two options to fight it (ASO and CAS), lets see.

10 hours ago, blunderfull said:

I’d suggest doing 2700 nonstop.  Strongest of sleep-deprived will prevail. Coke and Black Beauty cocktails.  Heinous looking TT rigs with extended arm rests, Aero helmets and 8 water bottles plastered all over frame.

Fun crashes too.  Like RAAM where staying in saddle for 30+ hrs at a crack leads to nodding off on bike & wrapping oneself around road furniture.

Just do Paris-Brest-Paris twice and you are there. 

Obviously Christophe Prudhomme is reading this thread. Good call Christophe.

Bad Karma in the Sky train.  

They have to realize this is the end and, get the hell off the CF wagon and put Thomas in the lead.

4 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Bad Karma in the Sky train.  

They have to realize this is the end and, get the hell off the CF wagon and put Thomas in the lead.

So he can wreck it post haste...

And he is back in.

If I were Petacchi or Ullisi I would sue the shit out of the UCI.

i'm guessing many here debating juiced/non-juiced have not watched the documentary icarus?

don't know why, but i'm not nearly as jazzed for the event since the schleck bros retired

I was amped until they cleared Froome. Now I'm pretty whatevs

10 minutes ago, doghouse said:

I was amped until they cleared Froome. Now I'm pretty whatevs

werd

how's life been treating you broseph? haven't seen or heard from you in quite a while

31 minutes ago, aA said:

werd

how's life been treating you broseph? haven't seen or heard from you in quite a while

Not bad my man. Busy as hell, got a toddler, work is bonkers, but all good stuff.

Only sail a handful of times a year these days. Spend a lot of time cycling honestly, easier to fit that in.

How about you? Left coast treating you well?

37 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Not bad my man. Busy as hell, got a toddler, work is bonkers, but all good stuff.

Only sail a handful of times a year these days. Spend a lot of time cycling honestly, easier to fit that in.

How about you? Left coast treating you well?

ah yes, forgot about the little one...tends to change the priorities and free time a bit. i'm doing well, spending more time coaching than sailing myself but it's all good. first one's off to college next month (and sailing!) and her brother is next year. left coast always treats me well, just wish there weren't so many a-holes here lol

• Like 1

I’ll watch a couple stages to see if there’s a rider strike or if the French fans slime Froome down at every opportunity.

Prefer the latter.

Another 3 week Sky procession. 

On 6/16/2018 at 3:49 AM, mad said:

Will Froome be there? 

In the Tour De Pharmacy? You betcha!

The thing about drugs is that you still have to be a top athlete to win the tour but drugs give you that 1% edge. and if everyone else is at 99 and your 100, then you win.