Shootist Jeff

Tour de France - 2018

WOW!  amazing stage!  GT in yellow.  I wonder what the discussion at the Sky Team dinner will be like tonight.

You work for me!

NO, YOU work for me!

2 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Sky catches Valverde.  Dumoulin still a few seconds up the road.  

My guess is T. Geraint is in Yellow tonight.

Who is T. Geraint

• Like 1

Manxman , Renshaw & Kittel out.

I skipped the flat stages and just like that - Cav’s on vacation and I never saw him on camera.   Time flys....

Groenewegen flirting with an OTL.   Phinney’s going to have some funny stuff on his blog I’d bet.  190# and crawling all the way up. 

Just caught up on events overnight. Yep looked like an eventful stage. Wish I was able to stay up to watch but bed beckoned.

Yates seems to have done his dash for GC. Pity for Mitchelton Scott that Nieve couldn't hold off Thomas for a little bit longer.

Excellent effort by Dumoulin. I hope he can keep it going for the full three weeks because if he can't then it could already be game over although Nibali is not too far behind and Roglic going well too.

Bring on the postcard pic climb of the Lacet de Montvernier, Col de Madeleine, Col de la Croix de Fer and then the iconic Alpe D'Huez tonight. Dutch Corner always special one to watch on turn 17 (or whichever one it is :) )

Ugh. Coverage tomorrow starts at 600 am here on the east coast. Thank goodness for Youtube TV. I've got it set to record and won't look at any internet until I watch it. I'm hoping we see some real attacks on the Alp d'Huez tomorrow. 

Also, WTF was Nibali and team thinking taking over the pacing duties from Sky today? Why would anyone give them a break? 

Sky's medicine man has done an excellent job this year. Thomas must have been dipping into Froomey's lolly jar.

2 hours ago, MisterMoon said:

Ugh. Coverage tomorrow starts at 600 am here on the east coast. Thank goodness for Youtube TV. I've got it set to record and won't look at any internet until I watch it. I'm hoping we see some real attacks on the Alp d'Huez tomorrow. 

Also, WTF was Nibali and team thinking taking over the pacing duties from Sky today? Why would anyone give them a break? 

Why aren't you awake at 600?

14 hours ago, doghouse said:

Who is T. Geraint

Lis-Dexia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LB 15 said:

Sky's medicine man has done an excellent job this year. Thomas must have been dipping into Froomey's lolly jar.

Didn’t Froome fall into the medicine vat the first year he was at Sky, maybe he should be called Obelix, although his figure is far closer to Asterix....

I love me some Jens Voigt but when he talks all I can see is the pig from Sing

maxresdefault.jpg

Uran has abandoned. As has Groenewegen.

Kruijswijk looking good atm in virtual yellow.

Come on Kruiswijk...

Glad Thomas rode for the win.  Can’t stand Froome.  At 1:35 clear of Froome he should have a green light to ride for the over all win.  Froome doesn’t belong aside Hinault, indurain, or Merckx.

19 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Glad Thomas rode for the win.  Can’t stand Froome.  At 1:35 clear of Froome he should have a green light to ride for the over all win.  Froome doesn’t belong aside Hinault, indurain, or Merckx.

Fuk awf gaytor, Froome can't stand you either, along with the rest of us. 

But I agree that Thomas is up front is a good thing.  I would love for GT and CF to get to the time trial with the current time gaps on the penultimate stage and let every man fend for himself.  Thomas deserves the Tour at this point.  

Mikel ‘el Yoyo’ Landa with an interesting day.

Thomas has that ‘look’.   This for real?   CF not done till....3 mins down?    Too early for me to say it’s GT’s team.

• if Geraint Thomas can hang on and win it will be a Classic great yellow jersey

The cunt who punched Froome on the alp d’Huez climb needs to be skinned alive, fed to Honey Badgers and then the carcas thrown over the side of the mountain summit and left to rot to be a warning to the rest of the cuntbag French fans. 

Fucking cunts!  

Thomas said in his post race interview that CF is still the leader and that Froome is a legend and the greatest ever. I think that is a bit premature. Armstrong remains the greatest drug cheat in history but Froome is closing in on him. GT looks well juiced as well but probobly started taking drugs too late in his career to be up their with the true gods of doping. Still anything can happen at the tour. Apart from a clean rider beating 'Sky high' that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LB 15 said:

Thomas said in his post race interview that CF is still the leader and that Froome is a legend and the greatest ever. I think that is a bit premature. Armstrong remains the greatest drug cheat in history but Froome is closing in on him. GT looks well juiced as well but probobly started taking drugs too late in his career to be up their with the true gods of doping. Still anything can happen at the tour. Apart from a clean rider beating 'Sky high' that is.

How far back do think clean is this year 

16 minutes ago, tommays said:

I think of the GC contenders (completely unfounded) Nibali, Quintana and maybe doulan are clean.

Wow what carnage with the sprinters in the last couple of stages. Gaviria, Greipel, Groenewegen, Kittel & Cavendish all out. Sagan just needs to make sure he finishes in Paris to get his 6th Green jersey.  Nibali also a casualty last night after tangling with a spectator's camera strap, going down and breaking a vertabrae in his back, the T10.

8 hours ago, tommays said:

Its so easy to claim that anyone who wins must be doping.  However, don't you think that every stage winner gets immediately tested that night?  If they are not, then UCI are stupid.  But my assumption is the top guys are being tested constantly.  If they pass, then they are clean.  Period.  I'm so sick of this finger pointing.  Prove they are doping and I'll be the first to put the rope round their necks.  Otherwise, its nothing but sour grapes.

I think Sky is winning because they have a bigger warchest than the rest.  They can put the best riders around CF and GT and they all work for a single purpose.  Not a single other team had 5 riders together starting the last climb.  Like it or not, $$ made that happen.  

It was interesting that when Froome, Dumolin, and Bardet where all head to head on the last couple of KMs, none of them could go.  If CF was juiced, he would have made his attack work and left them standing there.  It didn't - it was a great effort, but his attack failed.  He is not superhuman as the doping accusers suggest.

And speaking of super Domestiques - Holy shit Bernal Gomez deserves a huge pay raise and a year's worth of free Russian hooker's for his amazing pull going up Alpe d'Huez!  He basically beat down every attack and just ground them down.  

7 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Wow what carnage with the sprinters in the last couple of stages. Gaviria, Greipel, Groenewegen, Kittel & Cavendish all out.

I'm not sure I agree completely with that strict of a time limit that cuts out the best sprinters in the world on a technicality.  They are not climbers and are not expected to be, but at least let them get through to the sprint stages.  The Green jersey is no longer the best sprinter in the Tour, but the average sprinter who can get over mountain stages within a time limit.  Of course you don't want to have someone finish 4 hours after the winners, but I don't see anything wrong with expanding the time limit to something reasonable to allow the big guys to gut it out but assure they are there to compete in Paris.  Especially on a super hot day like it was yesterday.  It just doesn't make sense.

7 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Nibali also a casualty last night after tangling with a spectator's camera strap, going down and breaking a vertabrae in his back, the T10.

The crowd BS is getting out of hand.  I get that crowds have always been a part of the mountain stages.  But this is fucking ridiculous!  Those assholes with the smoke flares need to be severely beaten and left for dead on the side of the road.  The fans that run up and touch the riders and run along side them need to be shot.  One fan almost knocked Kruijswijk off the bike when he was still in the lead as he was running next to him.  This shit needs to stop!

https://road.cc/content/news/245422-live-blog-video-crash-forced-nibali-abandon-more

The smoke flares likely contributed to this crash as it killed visibility to almost zero.  And when a climber is gasping for air on a big climb like this, the last thing they want to breathe is fucking smoke!  

I'm sorry, but we are at the point where barriers need to be erected for the entire length of the climb to keep these assholes back and allow the riders and support bikes to get through unimpeded.  Its becoming life threatening to both the riders and the moto drivers and their pax.  

14 minutes ago, Shootist Jeff said:

The crowd BS is getting out of hand.  I get that crowds have always been a part of the mountain stages.  But this is fucking ridiculous!  Those assholes with the smoke flares need to be severely beaten and left for dead on the side of the road.  The fans that run up and touch the riders and run along side them need to be shot.  One fan almost knocked Kruijswijk off the bike when he was still in the lead as he was running next to him.  This shit needs to stop!

https://road.cc/content/news/245422-live-blog-video-crash-forced-nibali-abandon-more

The smoke flares likely contributed to this crash as it killed visibility to almost zero.  And when a climber is gasping for air on a big climb like this, the last thing they want to breathe is fucking smoke!  

I'm sorry, but we are at the point where barriers need to be erected for the entire length of the climb to keep these assholes back and allow the riders and support bikes to get through unimpeded.  Its becoming life threatening to both the riders and the moto drivers and their pax.  

^^^^this, why so called fans are choking the shit out of the riders on the toughest climbs if beyond belief

The sprinters KNOW what there in for and chose not to race with a good strategy as the Grand tours were always meant for well rounded riders the sprinters have a whole season of classics 

3 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Its so easy to claim that anyone who wins must be doping.  However, don't you think that every stage winner gets immediately tested that night?  If they are not, then UCI are stupid.  But my assumption is the top guys are being tested constantly.  If they pass, then they are clean.  Period.  I'm so sick of this finger pointing.  Prove they are doping and I'll be the first to put the rope round their necks.  Otherwise, its nothing but sour grapes.

I think Sky is winning because they have a bigger warchest than the rest.  They can put the best riders around CF and GT and they all work for a single purpose.  Not a single other team had 5 riders together starting the last climb.  Like it or not, $$ made that happen.  

It was interesting that when Froome, Dumolin, and Bardet where all head to head on the last couple of KMs, none of them could go.  If CF was juiced, he would have made his attack work and left them standing there.  It didn't - it was a great effort, but his attack failed.  He is not superhuman as the doping accusers suggest.

And speaking of super Domestiques - Holy shit Bernal Gomez deserves a huge pay raise and a year's worth of free Russian hooker's for his amazing pull going up Alpe d'Huez!  He basically beat down every attack and just ground them down.  

So, how many times was Lance tested?

Ya'll watched "Icarus" on Netflix?

heads of drug labs, WADA, etc all say the same thing - they can't catch PED users. 

the doco focuses heavily on the Russians (with good reason), but basically the tech and know how is there to reliably cheat the system if you're so inclined. 

damn man look at Lance - not once in his career did he turn up a positive tests. he got busted because his teammates flipped. 

4 hours ago, Hold Fast said:

Ya'll watched "Icarus" on Netflix?

heads of drug labs, WADA, etc all say the same thing - they can't catch PED users. 

the doco focuses heavily on the Russians (with good reason), but basically the tech and know how is there to reliably cheat the system if you're so inclined. 

damn man look at Lance - not once in his career did he turn up a positive tests. he got busted because his teammates flipped. 

Funny when we pass thru stages and McEwen will give a shout-out to Jalabert.  ‘He won here in ‘97...blah, blah, blah’. WTF?  No mention of Armstrong but, French dopers get their props.  Weird.

Omerta still rules peloton.   McEwen knows better but pimping for French ‘heroes, makes for a feel-good flow thru the broadcast.

It’s a mixed- up world out there.   ‘Icarus’ rules, I tell noobies to watch that, (if they’ve been out of the loop for what - last 20 years?) and try to get their head around all that’s layed out about the underside of pro sports. Cycling is what it is - I got it squared and  will always look forward to watching it regardless of some fishy looking results.

Ilnur Zakarin- we’re watching you big guy.  He’s prolly going to go on an absolutly gut-busting solo off the front and I really don’t want to believe he didn’t crank up for that .

2 hours ago, tommays said:

Actually Armstrong failed FOUR TESTS they just looked the other way and allowed things like after the fact scripts and or a TUE to keep the show going

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/cycling-lance-armstrong-failed-four-drugs-tests-in-1999-uci-admits-8577491.html

Who knows what else was covered up

So lance failed but could still ride? No way that would happen now.....

21 hours ago, Shootist Jeff said:

They can put the best riders around CF and GT and they all work for a single purpose.  Not a single other team had 5 riders together starting the last climb. 

Yes pro Cycling has never seen that before.

Image result for lance armstrong us postal service team lead on a climb

Yates said he was “dehydrated” after his blow-up.   What’s Mollema’s story?  Two of them are 36” down.  Disapointing to say least.   

Mollema, crashed, hurt his back.

2 hours ago, blunderfull said:

Yates said he was “dehydrated” after his blow-up.   What’s Mollema’s story?  Two of them are 36” down.  Disapointing to say least.   

Yeah Yates's performance has been especially disappointing.  Caleb Ewen now has even more reason to be dirty about being dropped ftom the roster for le Tour. Especially now most of his sprint rivals are out...but who knows if he would've got through the Alps either. 

35 minutes ago, albanyguy said:

Yeah Yates's performance has been especially disappointing.  Caleb Ewen now has even more reason to be dirty about being dropped ftom the roster for le Tour. Especially now most of his sprint rivals are out...but who knows if he would've got through the Alps either. 

Caleb needs the experience. Dropping him was a bit short sighted.

Dumoulin on top of things, good ride.  Not much in it today.  

Trick is how to explain to casual fan what just happened.  20 min gap to ‘leaders’...say what?:huh:

6 hours ago, LeoV said:

Mollema, crashed, hurt his back.

He’s tough.  Stays together for 3 weeks and he’s up there, needs some luck.

Some very interesting comments made by Bradley Wiggins during his guest appearance commentating on the UK Channel 4 coverage today about exemptions on medical treatments etc. 

It’ll probably be in the press in the next few days 

3 hours ago, mad said:

Some very interesting comments made by Bradley Wiggins during his guest appearance commentating on the UK Channel 4 coverage today about exemptions on medical treatments etc. 

It’ll probably be in the press in the next few days 

Bit odd now but, maybe he’s getting out from under the Froome/Brailsford b.s.?  Same old Wiggins.

In keeping with dope & pros he does give the usual ‘there has to be an ethical line somewhere.’   Really?   That sounds like he advocates the old practices - we make the rules and please, we’ll handle this in-house.

Tommorow’s stage goes thru Jalabert’s home turf.   I’d bet that McEwen stays away from saying too much about LJ and the ‘good old days.’

9 hours ago, albanyguy said:

Yes, this race needs a bit of brightening up.  Caleb’s a stud.  Cool rider.

So far he’s 0-3 on finishing GT’s tho.  Can’t remember what his form in big climbs is these days.

8 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Bit odd now but, maybe he’s getting out from under the Froome/Brailsford b.s.?  Same old Wiggins.

In keeping with dope & pros he does give the usual ‘there has to be an ethical line somewhere.’   Really?   That sounds like he advocates the old practices - we make the rules and please, we’ll handle this in-house.

Tommorow’s stage goes thru Jalabert’s home turf.   I’d bet that McEwen stays away from saying too much about LJ and the ‘good old days.’

Not sure what I made of it, but this I what I heard.

He says the government enquiry asked him questions at the last minute, but didn’t include his responses in the report.  

Says that the team didn’t help in the matter, probably made it worse. 

Claimed he knows nothing about the whole affair. 

Riders should be allowed sympathetic medicine for causes such as asthma, Haemophilia, and STDs and these details should be kept confidential.  He makes a case for the last 2.

Did you hear it?

1 hour ago, mad said:

Not sure what I made of it, but this I what I heard.

He says the government enquiry asked him questions at the last minute, but didn’t include his responses in the report.  

Says that the team didn’t help in the matter, probably made it worse. 

Claimed he knows nothing about the whole affair. 

Riders should be allowed sympathetic medicine for causes such as asthma, Haemophilia, and STDs and these details should be kept confidential.  He makes a case for the last 2.

Did you hear it?

Wiggins fueling up his feud with Froome’s wife?   Ha, that’s one way to get a response out of the Sky ‘family’.

I can’t help but remember what LA spilled out to the cancer doc when asked ‘what drugs are you on?’   Beginning of the end for him.  OK to talk to your doc but, keep everyone else out of the room.

Here and in other forums it seems we discuss more drugs than bikes.   Let’s call time out on drug talk and get into the real stuff - are disc brakes the cause of so many crashes?  And who let them in to the party?   I blame Shimano for the downfall of pro cycling.

1 hour ago, blunderfull said:

Wiggins fueling up his feud with Froome’s wife?   Ha, that’s one way to get a response out of the Sky ‘family’.

I can’t help but remember what LA spilled out to the cancer doc when asked ‘what drugs are you on?’   Beginning of the end for him.  OK to talk to your doc but, keep everyone else out of the room.

Here and in other forums it seems we discuss more drugs than bikes.   Let’s call time out on drug talk and get into the real stuff - are disc brakes the cause of so many crashes?  And who let them in to the party?   I blame Shimano for the downfall of pro cycling.

Agreed, I only mentioned it after hearing Wiggins speak at length today about it all. 

What is the story behind the switch to disc brakes? Finally became light enough to make the change?

Disk Brakes well there one of a few hundred things that have really driven up the cost of entry to the average racer / triathlon type as money buys performance and I am not really sure how good that is for the sport as the price spread has become so outrageous 

I have one completely modern bike (Still Cantilever)my cyclocross bike with 2 X 11 SRAM and while the double tap shifts nicely it’s really no better than a 20 + year old grip shift the 4 extra gears our convenient do we really need a 13 rear 

I am certainly not going to throw away my Roval 24 rear 18 spoke wheel set and drop 4K on Carbon Set that Weekend riders can’t seem to do without 

The big advantage of this bike is its abilty to use any size tire for what you want to do and it does fine on road/gravel/cross and with modern stems you can dial in the fit with one fast change part 

Disk Brakes well I guess after the few first few million recalls they have it sorted but it’s killed the ability to have neutral support in a race and hopefully your must have carbon fork won’t fall Apart because they had to recall even more of them and it’s the one part on my Modern that I don’t really get because it’s certainly not all that comfortable    

On 7/19/2018 at 2:37 PM, Shootist Jeff said:

The cunt who punched Froome on the alp d’Huez climb needs to be skinned alive, fed to Honey Badgers and then the carcas thrown over the side of the mountain summit and left to rot to be a warning to the rest of the cuntbag French fans. 

Fucking cunts!  

Guy was prolly one of those Dutch hooligans.  Course, who doesn’t want to punch a Limey.

1 hour ago, mad said:

Agreed, I only mentioned it after hearing Wiggins speak at length today about it all. 

What is the story behind the switch to disc brakes? Finally became light enough to make the change?

I’m behind on the disc brake thing.  Noticed that rotors on some look quite small.  Less weight & less striking area?  Seemed to remember riders bitching about size/sharp edges of previous rotors.

UCI disc rules:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brakes-expected-to-proliferate-at-tour-de-france-after-uci-approval/

Roglic is a funny guy, he gets attention here because he is in a Dutch team.
Last day he was not supposed to attack for a few seconds gain, reaction of the guys in the car, oh dear, he is going again, thats not the deal, but its our Roglic.

Carbon wheels in the rain , you will like the disc brakes.

When I grow up I want to be Peter Sagan

Unless I've missed it,  seems the TdF Fans are giving Froome a "pass".  No giant syringes chasing him, nothing painted on the road,  no urine bombs...

Looks like the Sky train is once again unbeatable.   Kind of boring to watch the 5 Sky guys riding just the right tempo to keep their 2 guys in the lead.

I think 23 days of racing will be decided on one day;  the Individual Time Trial...?

40 minutes ago, ErieJ24 said:

Unless I've missed it,  seems the TdF Fans are giving Froome a "pass".  No giant syringes chasing him, nothing painted on the road,  no urine bombs...

Looks like the Sky train is once again unbeatable.   Kind of boring to watch the 5 Sky guys riding just the right tempo to keep their 2 guys in the lead.

I think 23 days of racing will be decided on one day;  the Individual Time Trial...?

There has been plenty of booing and the occasional push from a spectator but as you note, nothing too serious.  

Today, the tour was stopped for about 15 minutes and restarted at about 30 KM when some French farmers barricaded the route to protest.  Something about reduced support payments.  Tear gas to break up the protest hit some of the riders.  Race neutralized for 3 KM after restarting.  

55 minutes ago, ErieJ24 said:

That's my guess as well.  Unless CF is feeling good enough to attack GT in the next couple of Mountain stages or GT falters on a climb, I think GT keeps yellow until the Time Trial and then the best man wins.  I don't know if CF can make up 1+30 in the ITT on GT, so he might try to steal a few seconds here and there while he can.  I think if he can get it down to around 1+10 or less, he has a chance to win.  

Tomorrow is going to be a mtn sprint, without the miles and miles of flats to wear down solo or teamless riders.  There should be some clarification of positions afterwards and before the ITT.

I sincerely hope there are fireworks today. Let's hope there are attacks from the start from at least a couple of the GC challengers and that Team Sky doesn't get the opportunity to control things from the front because the team will be split from the start due to the unique grid start format. There'll still be 2 Team Sky riders at the front though.

Yeah, today's stage looks to be really interesting.  Have they ever done a Mt "sprint" stage before?  I don't ever recall anything like this.  It will be interesting strategy.  Will the be real attacks right off the front on the 1st climb up the col de Peyresourde?  Or will the big guns try to wait and attack froome and Thomas on the last climb to the finish?

The one thing I also don't understand about yesterday was WTF was Movistar thinking sending those two riders out into the break?  Has movistar giving up on GC and are now trying to just get stage wins?  I would think that you would save your entire team's legs so they can help Landa and Quintana on the climbs today and tomorrow.  Why waste them on a long break that was so far ahead of the peloton that they couldn't have been used as a springboard for an attack that was unlikely to happen anyway??  

Just watching Joulbert & Yates finish last night.  Fucking hard men.  No theyre not soccer players.

Start will be slow, so the whole group unites. Then Sky will lead and escapees will try.
I would love to see Roglic succeed.
Maybe Froome will try to gain on Thomas, Dumoulin has to follow Froome.

The F1 grid start is retarded. More than likely to cause crashes that good racing. They are climbing from the first peddle strokes so I think they will form into the usual suspects pretty quickly. A few will escape and I think some opportunist will solo in 5 mins clear with some guys fighting for top 10 GC spots strung out up the hill and CF , Doubalin and the yellow jersey will finish together. These 3 are the podium now unless one of them fucks up. Which step they are on will be decided in the TT. 

But Brailsford might put a little extra in G and Froomes wheatbix in the morning and the pair of cheating cunts will climb away breathing through their ears.

What a cunt of a tour.

Sagan down.  WTF was he pushing for on the descent?  Makes no sense.  I hope he's able to get back on the bike and finish.

2 hours ago, LB 15 said:

But Brailsford might put a little extra in G and Froomes wheatbix in the morning and the pair of cheating cunts will climb away breathing through their ears.

What a cunt of a tour.

Does doping help keep you upright on the bike???  If so, sounds like Ritchie Porte needs to start doing drugs.

NQ and AV are now together.  Interesting tactic if Valverde can pull Quintana up the road.  

Epic stage!  Fireworks abounded as expected.  

Good on Quintana!  Well deserved win!  I'm not sure though that its going to be enough to get him on the podium though.  Its going to be a big ask in the ITT for him to make up any more time.  

Froome cracked.  So much for doping allegations.  Loses time to both Dumolin and Roglic.  

Geraint Thomas is the legitimate Tour Leader.  He looked comfortable and responded to every real attack.  Even took more time out of Dumolin and Roglic on the final 500m.  

Looks like there might be a Welshman besides Tom Jones that welsh women take their panties off for.  :D

1 hour ago, Shootist Jeff said:

Sagan down.  WTF was he pushing for on the descent?  Makes no sense.  I hope he's able to get back on the bike and finish.

Any specifics or video about his crash?  The US live broadcast mentioned he was down, and showed him finishing with a torn up jersey and road rash, but didn't have any details about the crash itself.  He looked pretty beat up, so one has to wonder if he'll be able to complete the remaining stages within the time limit to retain the green jersey.  Would be quite odd to suddenly see Kristoff in green.

• Like 1

Geraint Thomas:  "I guess the team are working for me now".

I will be interesting to see if CF plays his new role for GT or if he tries to get some time back on Friday in the mountains.  Two more big HCs beckon.  

My first memory of the Tour was watching the LeMond vs Fignon ITT, when LeMond just about killed himself to make up the time to take the overall win.                        That was fantastic.

I was hoping this would come down to a Froome vs Thomas Time Trial to win it all.   But after yesterday I think it is over.

At least Froome isn't going to win another one. 

6 hours ago, ErieJ24 said:

My first memory of the Tour was watching the LeMond vs Fignon ITT, when LeMond just about killed himself to make up the time to take the overall win.                        That was fantastic.

I was hoping this would come down to a Froome vs Thomas Time Trial to win it all.   But after yesterday I think it is over.

At least Froome isn't going to win another one. 

Yes, same here.   LeMond’s TT was ultra cool.

Tho, remember the Giro with Menchov leading comfortably going into the final TT and then....he’s on the ground.   The mechanic saved his win with a quick reset.   Close as it gets.

Somehow I want to see Dumoulin win but, 2” is huge and, GT hasn’t missed a beat so far.

4 minutes ago, blunderfull said:

Somehow I want to see Dumoulin win

Riche changed to cycelling?  Who niewe?                                             :)

One thing that really bothers me about the overall coverage, now that I think about it...  They've totally sanitized it of Lance (and Landis, etc).  It's too bad because when they show retrospective footage, there was some pretty great stuff by those guys.  Like when Lance looked back at his competition and then took off to certain victory...  or when he went off-road without crashing to avoid disaster in a way that I can't imagine anyone else but Sagan achieving.

I understand why...  but to me, it's like they're trying to pretend it's black-and-white...  show everything from every era that's believed to have been clean, and act like everything that was eventually proven dirty never happened.

It would be nice if they could somehow reconcile things, recognize the decades of grey areas (while expecting people to believe it's 100% clean now, if they want), and show it all, rather than acting like those events never happened.

It's not like the other GC contenders weren't cheating too...  His team was just cheating better.  I understand why the footage is shunned.  They'd get a lot of flak if they showcased it.  But it would be nice if they could find a place for it to be remembered as part of the sport's history, for better or worse.

6 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

One thing that really bothers me about the overall coverage, now that I think about it...  They've totally sanitized it of Lance (and Landis, etc).  It's too bad because when they show retrospective footage, there was some pretty great stuff by those guys.  Like when Lance looked back at his competition and then took off to certain victory...  or when he went off-road without crashing to avoid disaster in a way that I can't imagine anyone else but Sagan achieving.

I understand why...  but to me, it's like they're trying to pretend it's black-and-white...  show everything from every era that's believed to have been clean, and act like everything that was eventually proven dirty never happened.

It would be nice if they could somehow reconcile things, recognize the decades of grey areas (while expecting people to believe it's 100% clean now, if they want), and show it all, rather than acting like those events never happened.

It's not like the other GC contenders weren't cheating too...  His team was just cheating better.  I understand why the footage is shunned.  They'd get a lot of flak if they showcased it.  But it would be nice if they could find a place for it to be remembered as part of the sport's history, for better or worse.

Agree

10 hours ago, Your Mom said:

100% agree with this.  

Speaking of things that pisses me off..... this is completely disgusting:

1795.jpg?w=620&q=20&auto=format&usm=12&f

The Welshman, who retained his yellow jersey and a 1min 59sec lead after Thursday’s 18th stage ended in a bunch sprint, said he was staggered after his Team Sky colleague Wout Poels showed him a photograph of “an idiot” almost bringing him down towards the end of the climb up the Col de Portet on Wednesday.

“Obviously it’s not good and I won’t be riding quite so close to the barriers,” said Thomas, who admitted he did not appreciate how serious the incident was until much later. “I could have quite easily fallen and lost a bit of time. I was going quite fast past him but it certainly moved me off my line. It was a bit of a shock but luckily I was OK.

I hope someone found this shitstain and beat the fuk out of him with a bunch of stale french baguettes.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Down to the time trial.  Think GT has it in him to cover the gaps?  

Easily. He is a good TT'er, and it's only 34k.

This has been one of the best Tours in eons. Mostly because of the parcours, but some decent aggression from Movistar and Lotto punching way over their weight. Officially a Roglic fan now.

Yep was rooting for Roglic to do what he did and knock Froome off the podium.

9 hours ago, doghouse said:

Easily. He is a good TT'er, and it's only 34k.

This has been one of the best Tours in eons. Mostly because of the parcours, but some decent aggression from Movistar and Lotto punching way over their weight. Officially a Roglic fan now.

This 

The guy's on fire. Wouldn't surprise me to see him bump TD off the second step. 

Great stuff from the young guys this year. Roglic, Alaphillippe, Bernal, and Latour. All brilliant and good for the future TDF.

6 hours ago, Dorado said:

This 

The guy's on fire. Wouldn't surprise me to see him bump TD off the second step. 

Great stuff from the young guys this year. Roglic, Alaphillippe, Bernal, and Latour. All brilliant and good for the future TDF.

Bernal in particular.....  he's going to lead a team someday very soon.  That guy is a machine!