Sign in to follow this  
ortegakid

FD RUDDER NEEDED

Want new rudder for US 1268, need not be perfect, will make it that, am gunna make it a kick up, thx. Have a head, need blade.

2 hours ago, ortegakid said:

Want new rudder for US 1268, need not be perfect, will make it that, am gunna make it a kick up, thx. Have a head, need blade.

You should grab a core from Phil's Foils and lay up your own board....

Phil's Foils - order a core

• Like 2

WAY MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE WHOLE BOAT, WITH TRAILER AND SIX SETS OF SAILS!

LOL

The same would happen to me if I wanted a legal rudder for my "new" laser...

1 hour ago, ortegakid said:

WAY MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE WHOLE BOAT, WITH TRAILER AND SIX SETS OF SAILS!

That price is for the finished board though...you could save a lot by just ordering the core and doing the rest yourself.  I have a 505 rudder and centerboard core here from them that I'm about to work on.

• Like 1

CONTACTING THEM, THX!

550 CDN, STILL TOO MUCH, SURE SOMEONE HAS AN OLD SPRUCE?

3 hours ago, ortegakid said:

550 CDN, STILL TOO MUCH, SURE SOMEONE HAS AN OLD SPRUCE?

That's only $416 US...it's a deal!  

Here's my 505 core from them that I started working on today.  It already looks better than that, I sanded the leading edge already.

IMG_6016.JPG

On 6/15/2018 at 9:46 PM, WCB said:

You should grab a core from Phil's Foils and lay up your own board....

Phil's Foils - order a core

Phil is awesome. I used to sail Fireballs against him! He's a great guy.

• Like 3

This is where the collapse of the new dinghy market and the soft sailboat market makes for absurdities. The only reason $500 seems like too much is because you can get a "complete" FD for that...

44 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

This is where the collapse of the new dinghy market and the soft sailboat market makes for absurdities. The only reason $500 seems like too much is because you can get a "complete" FD for that...

Totally true. I asked Phil's Foils about their 505 launcher kit they showed on twitter.  They want $1,725 for it and the problem is, the boats that need a conversion like that are only worth $2-3k so that's a lot of money to pump into your boat when you won't get any of it back.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WCB said:

Totally true. I asked Phil's Foils about their 505 launcher kit they showed on twitter.  They want $1,725 for it and the problem is, the boats that need a conversion like that are only worth $2-3k so that's a lot of money to pump into your boat when you won't get any of it back.

Yes, and the "used car mentality" infects us. If you spend 2 on the boat and 2 on the launcher you've only spent 4 instead of 12. And you have a boat with a launcher. If you bought a motorboat most of your expense is fuel.

For some reason the classic yacht types go ahead and spend the money knowing they "won't get it back." But they do get it back--in a beautiful boat that smells right (cedar and varnish) that they can enjoy immensely.

We can do the same. On the other hand, economics figures here. Not everyone who can sail dinghy well has the extra 2k to spend but wants badly to be out there sailing. So there is that too and I completely understand that. (I have some personal experience in that...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Yes, and the "used car mentality" infects us. If you spend 2 on the boat and 2 on the launcher you've only spent 4 instead of 12. And you have a boat with a launcher. If you bought a motorboat most of your expense is fuel.

For some reason the classic yacht types go ahead and spend the money knowing they "won't get it back." But they do get it back--in a beautiful boat that smells right (cedar and varnish) that they can enjoy immensely.

We can do the same. On the other hand, economics figures here. Not everyone who can sail dinghy well has the extra 2k to spend but wants badly to be out there sailing. So there is that too and I completely understand that. (I have some personal experience in that...)

I wish that was true on the motorboat.  I just bought a Mako 241 and I've pumped in thousands and it has yet to spin a prop.  Between some bow rail repairs, servicing the motors prior to use, and unsticking the wheel because one motor was stuck due to lack of use...it's been a money pit.  Though I think we're through the worst part.  Now it's time to splash the boat and load it up with fuel and enjoy it.  Then it's time to sink more money into it when I fabricate a hard top for the t-top.

• Like 2

WELL SHE SAILS, STILL WANT NEW RUDDER.

FD1268.jpg

• Like 3

Building a kickup blade for a FD really isn't too hard with basic tools. Most of the old rudderheads were built for 3/4"-1" thick blades and most were built from mahogany and varnished. You could build one out of mahogany or even fir and glass it, or not. They are better with a light layer of glass and epoxy, but it is not mandatory.