Geff

1980s Lock Crowther catalogue

23 hours ago, Geff said:

This came from the FB page Classic Crowther Designed Multihulls.  Posted by "DC."  The thanks and reference goes to him.  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qnqiq9-ZioNxmCPwh7snD-ANF5iA2VsR/view

Thanks for this link, Geff!

I was a big fan of Lock Crowther's tri's and I was fortunate enough to meet Lock while he was in Boston during the early 1970s.

• Like 1

Haven't seen that in years.... I owned old Shockwave on page 32-33.... 

16 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Me too!  

14 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Nice Pair...?

Yes.  That was mine!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 11:55 AM, PIL66 said:

‘Miranda HiFi’ ?

3 hours ago, he b gb said:

‘Miranda HiFi’ ?

No.... Pumpkin Eater... Miranda HiFi was built later... it is for sale in Darwin (Mai Tai) He built a cabin on it.... 

8 hours ago, PIL66 said:

No.... Pumpkin Eater... Miranda HiFi was built later... it is for sale in Darwin (Mai Tai) He built a cabin on it.... 

Pumpkin eater was the gun boat for a couple of years before D Flawless took over . The name is a classic as two Peters owned it (Peter ,Peter Pumpkin eater!) How long ago did you own it and how would you rate its performance compared to your new boat? Just interested to compare it to a modern racing cat. My first offshore multihull was also a Crowther, but not a racing design. (Page 12 in his catalogue)

That’s great. Thanks for posting that. We’ll have to print and laminate and display that if we don’t have it already. 

I think we’re planning a special trophy for the handicap winning Crowther designed boat in all future LCMR editions. 

Also it looks like we have enough takers (more than five) to make the ocean race viable.

Stand by for announcements. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, he b gb said:

Pumpkin eater was the gun boat for a couple of years before D Flawless took over . The name is a classic as two Peters owned it (Peter ,Peter Pumpkin eater!) How long ago did you own it and how would you rate its performance compared to your new boat? Just interested to compare it to a modern racing cat. My first offshore multihull was also a Crowther, but not a racing design. (Page 12 in his catalogue)

I owned it in 1998 to 2002 maybe (Blow Me). I bought it from Lock Percey (Growler) 

I haven't sailed Cynophobe enough to say other than it is the same dimensions but 1 ton lighter than Pumpkin Eater which had a ply solid deck from the mid beam back. The Crowther behaved beautifully always and was never tipped over that I know.... where Cynophobe...

The story i was told was each owner, Peter and Peter each built a hull at home... Makes sense as the hulls weren't exactly the same... 

LionIsland... can you tell me the year we (Blow Me) won the Lock Crowther...?

21 hours ago, PIL66 said:

Mai Tai not for sale.  It has had a chequered history since coming to Darwin.  The then owner built a god pod on it and sailed her in the Darwin Ambon race, taking line honours but breaking apart on the way home - the crew rescued by a freighter and taken to China.  She washed up on an island and Col and a mate went and rescued her, sailing home lashed together with ropes and duct tape.

She was then sold to a bloke I never met, who removed the god pod but never sailed her.  A couple of my mates then bought her and spent a lot of money fairing and fixing her while they also owned an improved GBE.  They split the partnership and one of them finished Mai Tai and now has her sailing and looking good.

Incidentally, I helped a mate build the GBE ("Ghost") many years ago.  One hull was the standard moulded hull, then modified for a more plumb bow, less rocker and vertical foils. My understanding was that a new mould was taken from this hull and the other hull came from that mould.  It was much improved and with a tall rig this thing went like a bat out of hell.  But (again, my understanding was) there was a fire, the new mould was destroyed and no other "improved" GBEs were built - the builder concentrating thereafter on the "Sport Deck" models.  However, just a week ago, I spotted a "Ghost" model GBE on the Noosa River - not a Sport Deck, but definitely the Ghost hulls (but vertical rudders and the original swept boards), but with a standard height rig.

The GBE (ex Ghost, now Ms Palmer) has just changed hands again - I was going to go halves in it with a friend a year ago, but he never followed through. With a young(ish) keen owner, she will be flashing around Darwin harbour for years to come. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PIL66 said:

I owned it in 1998 to 2002 maybe (Blow Me). I bought it from Lock Percey (Growler) 

I haven't sailed Cynophobe enough to say other than it is the same dimensions but 1 ton lighter than Pumpkin Eater which had a ply solid deck from the mid beam back. The Crowther behaved beautifully always and was never tipped over that I know.... where Cynophobe...

The story i was told was each owner, Peter and Peter each built a hull at home... Makes sense as the hulls weren't exactly the same... 

Pumpkin Eater capsized end over end in the Gladstone race one year.

I remember seeing it as a kid when it was just launched. we were doing about 1knt in probably 4knts of breeze in my dads Headley Nickol  when PE appeared all gleaming white under a huge mast head reacher with the windward hull just touching the water doing at least twice wind speed. Needless to say it left a lasting impression. I got to sail on it a bit at botany bay when Lock Percy owned it, still impressive when wound up, but the weight of the bridge deck and age of the sails destroyed its light air performance. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, PIL66 said:

I’ll try to check on that tonight. 

Btw, congrats on Cyno/ Panther purchase. Very nice boat- awesome. It’s a weapon.  

I hear you had a nice delivery run down the coast. 

And yes, well, a tonne less is a lot of righting moment gone, but makes for an exciting boat. 

Whatya gonna name it?

Sticking with the animal theme and since it’s new home is in Shark territory

maybe Shark related?   

Btw, we’re getting numbers together for LCMR Friday 28th September Ocean Race to make it worth while to run. Looks like we have the min numbers (5) but just looking for dead certainties before committing. Cat 4. You in? I hope so.

Cheers, Stephen. 

2 hours ago, Recidivist said:

Mai Tai not for sale.  It has had a chequered history since coming to Darwin.  The then owner built a god pod on it and sailed her in the Darwin Ambon race, taking line honours but breaking apart on the way home - the crew rescued by a freighter and taken to China.  She washed up on an island and Col and a mate went and rescued her, sailing home lashed together with ropes and duct tape.

She was then sold to a bloke I never met, who removed the god pod but never sailed her.  A couple of my mates then bought her and spent a lot of money fairing and fixing her while they also owned an improved GBE.  They split the partnership and one of them finished Mai Tai and now has her sailing and looking good.

Incidentally, I helped a mate build the GBE ("Ghost") many years ago.  One hull was the standard moulded hull, then modified for a more plumb bow, less rocker and vertical foils. My understanding was that a new mould was taken from this hull and the other hull came from that mould.  It was much improved and with a tall rig this thing went like a bat out of hell.  But (again, my understanding was) there was a fire, the new mould was destroyed and no other "improved" GBEs were built - the builder concentrating thereafter on the "Sport Deck" models.  However, just a week ago, I spotted a "Ghost" model GBE on the Noosa River - not a Sport Deck, but definitely the Ghost hulls (but vertical rudders and the original swept boards), but with a standard height rig.

The GBE (ex Ghost, now Ms Palmer) has just changed hands again - I was going to go halves in it with a friend a year ago, but he never followed through. With a young(ish) keen owner, she will be flashing around Darwin harbour for years to come. 

That’s a hell of a story or two there!!!

Gotta laugh at the “Ms Palmer changing hands”!!  You funny. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rawhide said:

Pumpkin Eater capsized end over end in the Gladstone race one year.

I remember seeing it as a kid when it was just launched. we were doing about 1knt in probably 4knts of breeze in my dads Headley Nickol  when PE appeared all gleaming white under a huge mast head reacher with the windward hull just touching the water doing at least twice wind speed. Needless to say it left a lasting impression. I got to sail on it a bit at botany bay when Lock Percy owned it, still impressive when wound up, but the weight of the bridge deck and age of the sails destroyed its light air performance. 

Actually it was 1981 I think in what was the first and final Gladstone to Cairns multihull yacht race, BHP put up a fair bit of cash for prize money, Assassin was dismasted on the first night as the race started a few days after the completion of the B to G in a raging southerly, sometime over the next 24hrs 3 multis pitchpoled, they were Hired Hand, Pumpkin Eater and a twiggy named Sailmaker, Cliffhanger broke her rudder on the second night off Hayman Island, all of this happened without any loss of life but from memory Peter K off PE had a very close call being caught underwater in his harness, the 60 ft Shotover went on to win on line honours in record time, not a lot of info about this race around but a bit of digging and some info may pop up.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, LionIsland said:

I’ll try to check on that tonight. 

Btw, congrats on Cyno/ Panther purchase. Very nice boat- awesome. It’s a weapon.  

I hear you had a nice delivery run down the coast. 

And yes, well, a tonne less is a lot of righting moment gone, but makes for an exciting boat. 

Whatya gonna name it?

Sticking with the animal theme and since it’s new home is in Shark territory

maybe Shark related?   

Btw, we’re getting numbers together for LCMR Friday 28th September Ocean Race to make it worth while to run. Looks like we have the min numbers (5) but just looking for dead certainties before committing. Cat 4. You in? I hope so.

Cheers, Stephen. 

Awesome history lesson ... thanks to all... and Nuddy hasn't chimed in yet...

Stephen ... At this point i'm keen but I'm putting the pod back on amongst other things so will keep you in the loop

Pil

Well, as it turns out, according to my mate you just “stole” the boat from, the boat is much better with the pod which is much lighter than he was lead to believe. So sounds like a good move.

Good luck with the (re) mod.

Cool boat. Let ‘er rip!

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 6:57 PM, PIL66 said:

Stephen ... At this point i'm keen but I'm putting the pod back on amongst other things so will keep you in the loop

Definitely post up pics with the pod in place... a certain amount of removability seems like a grand way to keep the missus happy AND still allow full-on Sport mode.

Randii

1 hour ago, randii said:

Definitely post up pics with the pod in place... a certain amount of removability seems like a grand way to keep the missus happy AND still allow full-on Sport mode.

Randii

This is the way it was..... big bloody hand brake on starboard tack...It was also very hard to maneuver at low speed ..... Second pic is how it was prior to removal. I am bringing it up 100mm for more clearance.  The motor will then also be steerable and all heavy things like motor /  anchor / battery / fuel will be in the middle....

IMG_2461.jpg

pod.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/21/2018 at 7:36 AM, PIL66 said:

Just went to the Club’s Trophy cabinet and the  “eagle eyed” and very lovely Club coordinator, Jaz, helped me find Blow Me on the trophy- are you ready for this?

It was 19 years ago- 1999

BTW, we have the numbers. The LCMR Cat 4 Ocean race is definitely on. But the more boats the better, of course. Especially visiting boats.

And it would be great if we could have a fleet of Multihulls (more than 2!) for the Pittwater Coffs in the 27th Of December. 

On 7/3/2018 at 10:16 AM, LionIsland said:

Just went to the Club’s Trophy cabinet and the  “eagle eyed” and very lovely Club coordinator, Jaz, helped me find Blow Me on the trophy- are you ready for this?

It was 19 years ago- 1999

BTW, we have the numbers. The LCMR Cat 4 Ocean race is definitely on. But the more boats the better, of course. Especially visiting boats.

And it would be great if we could have a fleet of Multihulls (more than 2!) for the Pittwater Coffs in the 27th Of December. 

Wow 1999... I now feel old.. Thanks for that...

I'm spending money like I own Top Gun at this point trying to be ready so fingers crossed.. Now I should weigh the boat but how and where..? It's bit heavier than when it had a current cert. now that the pod will be on.      Any suggestions or others on that weekend wanting to share a crane cost....?

I am interested in the Coffs race but would need some good crew and basic instruments so we will see how this pans out

There's a boat weighing happening at the RPAYC in two weekends.

You'd need the proper spreader bars though, don't know if the cranes usually have them or not.

I raced John Partrige's F-28 for him in '99, from memory we won the first rainy drifter race by a mile on handicap and never featured after that! :lol:

Edited by Jethrow
more info

2 hours ago, Jethrow said:

You'd need the proper spreader bars though, don't know if the cranes usually have them or not.

I raced John Partrige's F-28 for him in '99, from memory we won the first rainy drifter race by a mile on handicap and never featured after that! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on the crane but sadly I won't be ready

John was a good guy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jethrow said:

Bit late it was today. 

On 7/5/2018 at 5:51 PM, Rawhide said:

Bit late it was today. 

Bugger. I was going to try to chime in on that. J’ouvert was weighed a couple of years ago but I’m always keen for a reality check so I’m always in for a weigh. Might be a few takers with LCMR and Wangi and Coffs and Airlie/Hammo etc happening. 

9 hours ago, LionIsland said:

Bugger. I was going to try to chime in on that. J’ouvert was weighed a couple of years ago but I’m always keen for a reality check so I’m always in for a weigh. Might be a few takers with LCMR and Wangi and Coffs and Airlie/Hammo etc happening. 

I'd be in if you can make it happen down your way.... If I bought the boat down 1-2 weeks before, could I get a temporary mooring / birth...? 

• Like 1

Was thinking sooner than that.

For the berthing:? Will look into that. This year the Rmyc is redevoping the Marina so we’re gonna have to make some other arrangements for visitors. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, LionIsland said:

This year the Rmyc is redevoping the Marina so we’re gonna have to make some other arrangements for visitors. 

Aha ... this might be 'interesting' given how crowded Pittwater is already ... & we are not talking skinny mono-slugs here (I clearly remember 2 years ago 40kn westerly & watching a few get pounded on the front tie-up ... the year Cronulla won the premiership during the presentation ...)