mad

Brexit, and all it entails

It seems that Teresa May may not have much more time as PM, or she may have a minimum of 12 months.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46535739

UK Prime Minister Theresa May will face a vote of no confidence in her leadership later on Wednesday.

Conservative MPs will vote between 18:00 GMT and 20:00 GMT.

The challenge to Mrs May's position comes after the required 48 letters calling for a contest were delivered.

Mrs May, who has been prime minister since shortly after the UK voted to leave the European Union in 2016, has faced criticism in her party for the Brexit plan she has negotiated.

It is not yet known how quickly the result of the vote will be announced, but Mrs May needs to get a majority in her favour to win it.

If that happens she can not be challenged for at least another year.

If Mrs May does not win the vote there would then be a Conservative leadership contest in which she could not stand.

There is also an option that even if Mrs May won - but not overwhelmingly - she may decide to stand down as party leader.

Because the Conservative Party is the largest party in the House of Commons, whoever is leader of the party would be expected to be prime minister.

37 minutes ago, Ease the sheet. said:

Rees mogg for pm!

I can’t think of a worse outcome. That would make electing Trump look sensible. 

So - what's the consensus of opinion on Mrs May's performance as PM?  Is she considered to be doing the best she can to navigate something she didn't choose, or is she thought to be primarily responsible for the current, undesirable state of affairs?

47 minutes ago, A guy in the Chesapeake said:

So - what's the consensus of opinion on Mrs May's performance as PM?  Is she considered to be doing the best she can to navigate something she didn't choose, or is she thought to be primarily responsible for the current, undesirable state of affairs?

I think no one could steer this damaged hulk to safe harbour. The process has been fatally flawed since the beginning and I don't see any way that a satisfactory conclusion could be reached with anyone's leadership.

Don't know if you have seen this, it is more than a little creepy. Pretty easy to see where Andy Serkis stands on Brexit.

https://youtu.be/Tjp5OmoDYQM

• Like 1

Read the argument today that the insolvable problem with Brexit is that those who voted for Brexit didn't have a consistent idea what Brexit meant as policy. Hard, Soft, Norway-style there were many ideas of Brexit, with varying attachments to reality. But everyone who voted remain, had a concrete policy idea - the status quo. 

Rees mogg for pm!

The whole idea of brexit is a fucking joke. Why shouldn't the village idiot lead the way?

Seriously, why shouldn't those that agitated and campaigned for brexit show everyone else how to achieve it? A bit of personal responsibility?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mad said:

I can’t think of a worse outcome. That would make electing Trump look sensible. 

When Brexit happened I thought, well, at least we're not that stupid. But it turns out that we're stupider.

1 minute ago, Olsonist said:

When Brexit happened I thought, well, at least we're not that stupid. But it turns out that we're stupider.

Brexit hasn't actually happened yet......

But, otherwise, yeah....

Can they cancel Brexit, or is it compulsory to complete it?   It seems the "people" are more against it now.

Apparently yes. Although I seem to recall the British pubic were told at the time of the original notification that it was irrevocable:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/brexit-uk-can-revoke-article-50-european-court-rules-1.3726021

Regardless of what happens with Theresa May, there is no chance of a negotiated exit. No time for anything else, only the choice between a hard exit or revocation, which will put the UK in the EC back row. Would you trust a partner that demands a divorce, tells you that you are unreasonable and horrible, negotiates a settlement which they then reject and then say, sorry, it was all a big mistake. Please take me back again???

The Brexit hard liners will get what they always wanted without taking responsibility.... A hard exit.

......... And Putin must be laughing his socks off. Second best overseas investment he ever made?

Brexit means civilian airlines will need landing treaties (they just signed one with the US), everything that's been resolved for half a century suddenly needs a new treaty or an agreement to revert to 1972 agreements.   Interpol?   International parcel shipping?   It sounds like you guys will have a lot of government workers putting in massive overtime trying to keep society running at a post 1972 level.   

4 minutes ago, Lark said:

Brexit means civilian airlines will need landing treaties (they just signed one with the US), everything that's been resolved for half a century suddenly needs a new treaty or an agreement to revert to 1972 agreements.   Interpol?   International parcel shipping?   It sounds like you guys will have a lot of government workers putting in massive overtime trying to keep society running at a post 1972 level.   

Tip of the iceberg......