CapnK

Exemplary Cruising Videos

How about a list of the 'best of all the rest' in one place?  Videos with (as much as I love 'em) less emphasis on bikinis, and more on good film making, imagery, or quality sailing/cruising related information. Videos with high signal to noise, and little to no pandering. Are there many out there?

Of course, there's our own highly-regarded Dylan at KTL

Looking for others, though, like this one I ran across today. The guy has only done one video but it is better than most, IMO. No speaking, just imagery and music. YT username "Pandorak" , Sailing solo to the Faroe Islands

Look for 'Christian Williams' on YouTube. Did a couple CA to HI and back videos. Well done with a touch of philosophy and and pleasant timbre to the narration. No bikinis but a couple nice Ericsons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roam said:

Look for 'Christian Williams' on YouTube. Did a couple CA to HI and back videos. Well done with a touch of philosophy and and pleasant timbre to the narration. No bikinis but a couple nice Ericsons.

And he has great taste in music.

I agree. Christian Williams makes decent vids but he's not very prolific. That's ok, I prefer quality over quantity.

He has a great video of he and his family Sailing from the New Jersey shore to New England and back in the early 60’s when he was a boy

3 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

He has a great video of he and his family Sailing from the New Jersey shore to New England and back in the early 60’s when he was a boy

That's a great one. 

Also on Amazon Prime I found this:  "Following Seas", a biographical film about the sailing life of the Griffith family who sailed everywhere long before the age of YouTube, EPIRBs and GPS.  Pretty remarkable people, definitely marched to a different drummer.

https://www.amazon.com/Following-Seas-Tyler-J-Kelley/dp/B075FX7MGD/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1529555430&sr=1-1&keywords=following+seas

I enjoy Guido Dwersteg's journey from Koblenz, Germany around the Atlantic in his Bavaria 32-Holiday. The video's cover the trip from Fehmarn (GER) to Grenada in the Caribbean via the Canary Islands.

Dwersteg is just an average sailor who gives a nice description of his trip and the places he visited.

Website (English)
http://www.guidosailing.com

Website (In German but has losts more video's)
http://törn.de

YouTube Channel
http://www.guidosailing.com/guido-on-youtube

Here is the Episode 1 - Fehmarn (GER) to Roscoff (F)

Without doubt, at the top of my list for good cruising videos is Free Range Sailing. They do go on a bit about Australian Aboriginal art in some of the early videos, as well as a lot about fishing, but these are clearly their passions. They offer lots of DIY tips, from cooking to wind generator repair. They are good sailors cruising a path less traveled. Excellent production skills as well. The most recent episodes about free diving the Ashmore Reef are breathtaking. Highly recommended.

• Like 3

Wow, thanks y'all - really enjoying some content I hadn't been exposed to before this. Great!!!:)

Eric & Susan Hiscock's "Beyond the West Horizon."  The trailer can be viewed for free, but there is a fee to download the full video.

Chasing Bubbles came up in my YouTube feed the other day.  So I watched the whole thing -- well worth it!  I had never heard of it before, but a few years ago I saw the boat for sale on Yachtworld -- a battered Fast Passage 39 with pen scrawlings all over the interior -- and wondered what the story was.

I wonder if anyone here knew Alex Rust.

• Like 4

Sailing Uma is the best series I've found in the flavor of "lets fix up a boat and sail around the world".  They really get stuff done in the fixing things up department and are learning the sailing. 

• Like 2

Erik Aanderaa and his Contessa 35 sail from Norway to Shetlands.

Single-handed.

In Winter.

And he takes a drone along...

He has to be on top of this list.

• Like 1

These next 2 are older, so production values aren't quite what we've become used to seeing. That said - great stories both. :)

Ant Steward, around alone in an open boat:

A couple of 1980 OSTAR contestants - "Singlehanders".

8 hours ago, Alex W said:

Sailing Uma is the best series I've found in the flavor of "lets fix up a boat and sail around the world".  They really get stuff done in the fixing things up department and are learning the sailing. 

The kids were doing OK and had me interested through the first bunch of posts when they were re-powering with electric, installing a windvane, etc. Then they started over to the dark side of Patreon, getting into stupid beer-chugging competitions and such with other Patreon boats, Mexican medical tourism, and resort reviews, then they lost me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jim in Halifax said:

The kids were doing OK and had me interested through the first bunch of posts when they were re-powering with electric, installing a windvane, etc. Then they started over to the dark side of Patreon, getting into stupid beer-chugging competitions and such with other Patreon boats, Mexican medical tourism, and resort reviews, then they lost me.

I saw the episode of medical tourism. I didn't care about the guy getting Lasik eye surgery but I was curious about the dental work. I've been curious about how cruisers outside the US keep up with routine medical maintenance without going broke.

16 minutes ago, Ajax said:

I saw the episode of medical tourism. I didn't care about the guy getting Lasik eye surgery but I was curious about the dental work. I've been curious about how cruisers outside the US keep up with routine medical maintenance without going broke.

My impression is that everywhere outside the US, basic medical care is affordable. This is the opinion of a Canadian who is familiar with the situation in the US (my daughter lives there). I have friends in Maine who regularly travel to Canada for dental work. Unless you are really deep in the 3rd world, in most of the world you are going to find a trained medico who will patch you up for not a lot of dollars. Some exceptions apply. If I was going for a double lung transplant, I would want to be in a US hospital (if I had enough insurance). I fail to comprehend why a country like USA doesn't consider it is the state's duty to provide basic medical care to all its citizens.

Signed,

A Canuk Commie-pinko

• Like 3

I also couldn't get enough of this story when I was a boy. It was a multi-episode series for German TV, this is the 20 minutes long 'trailer". Three guys rented a huge yacht and sailed it around the world for  two years in the early eighties. It is also a very nice documentary about nature and the different cultures they encountered. Very much a predecsessor of the Vagawynns, you have today.

Here is the Aspasia Alpha, now Tiziana:

Yacht%20TIZIANA%20by%20Abeking%20&%20Ras

1 hour ago, Matagi said:

I also couldn't get enough of this story when I was a boy. It was a multi-episode series for German TV, this is the 20 minutes long 'trailer". Three guys rented a huge yacht and sailed it around the world for  two years in the early eighties. It is also a very nice documentary about nature and the different cultures they encountered. Very much a predecsessor of the Vagawynns, you have today.

Here is the Aspasia Alpha, now Tiziana:

Yacht%20TIZIANA%20by%20Abeking%20&%20Ras

blimey that was good

D

2 hours ago, Jim in Halifax said:

That's too bad.  I only watched stuff near the beginning (I only heard about it a few weeks ago, and have limited attention span for even good sailing cruising videos).

Patrick Laine YouTube channel

Single hands a 40ft up and down western Europe. Very calm and even keeled guy.  Talks to the camera and explains why he is doing what he does

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sfbaysailing said:

Hey all

Well, I may be a bit biased, but I think the first video I did for our time in Isla Isabella, MX is pretty decent....

Well, he showed us lots of boobies on his first post. Guess that makes it alright...

Nice foley work.

Yes, a good first effort; particularly good production values. But the subject mattter...meh...much of a muchness. Now if he took his boat, cameras and drone to South Georgia or Patagonia...

"Sailing Frenchman", starts at refit of his Ecume de Mer 24'er a bit over a year ago. There are a dozen episodes of that, another dozen sailing it & starting out, & now he is crossing the Atlantic. Pretty good production quality. Minimal bikinis, if any. So far at least.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2018 at 8:38 PM, DialedN_07 said:

Patrick Laine YouTube channel

Single hands a 40ft up and down western Europe. Very calm and even keeled guy.  Talks to the camera and explains why he is doing what he does

Thank you for posting this, I really enjoy his video's!

Patrick Laine - You Tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEZSvXwSH6flqA0q_EEDDBQ

On 6/28/2018 at 3:00 PM, CapnK said:

"Sailing Frenchman", starts at refit of his Ecume de Mer 24'er a bit over a year ago. There are a dozen episodes of that, another dozen sailing it & starting out, & now he is crossing the Atlantic. Pretty good production quality. Minimal bikinis, if any. So far at least.

Watched em' all and waiting for the newest upload.
Anyone else think he looks like Jim from the office? John Krazinski