DialedN_07

How Do You Fly Your Flag?

I understand there is proper flag etiquette on a sailboat.  I want to fly the stars and stripes, but am pretty much at a loss of how I can do this on my boat.   I do have a topping lift kit which extends from the end of the boom, up to about 99% up the mast.  However, for proper sail trim, I need to leave this line slightly slack, and I don't think it will end up flying the flag very proudly.  I have seen resort boats flying flags that look like they may be attached to the actual mainsail itself.  As an absolute last resort (I do not want to do this) I was thinking of flying it off of the starboard shroud. (Boat is an American 14.6 monohul)

The research I have done has led me to the two following most relevant comments:

If your boat has an overhanging boom or an outboard motor, your flagstaff may be offset to starboard (preferably) from your boat's centerline.

sailboats may fly the ensign from the leech of the aftermost sail (or from the back stay), approximately 2/3 the distance up its length. This puts it in about the same position it would occupy if the boat were gaff-rigged.

So.....Try the toppling lift rope? Attach to mainsail? Or Go with starboard shroud? 
If mainsail, what is the best way to attach to the sail itself?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

1st of all nobody flies colours during the race. That's poor form.
Typically you have a socket on the aft deck. We even did this on a 14 foot dinghy back in the day. I don't on my 505 or my canoe.

Your yacht club burgee can fly from the masthead. Again, strike it during the race. I recommend making your own personal signal too, then you can fly that below the spreader. Haha.

Just now, fastyacht said:

1st of all nobody flies colours during the race. That's poor form.
Typically you have a burgee socket on the aft deck.

I don't race.  Just out sailing my boat.
Also I don't really have an aft deck.  My traveler rope goes port to starboard along the stern.  So mounting a pole or "burgee socket" isn't very feasible.

Just now, ortegakid said:

ON MY MAIN!

How have you attached it?  Trying to stay away from anything that may start a rip or tear in the sail.

It is a vinyl decal made by my sign company, had them made for our TCC, still have some!

4 hours ago, DialedN_07 said:

I understand there is proper flag etiquette on a sailboat.  I want to fly the stars and stripes, but am pretty much at a loss of how I can do this on my boat.   I do have a topping lift kit which extends from the end of the boom, up to about 99% up the mast.  However, for proper sail trim, I need to leave this line slightly slack, and I don't think it will end up flying the flag very proudly.  I have seen resort boats flying flags that look like they may be attached to the actual mainsail itself.  As an absolute last resort (I do not want to do this) I was thinking of flying it off of the starboard shroud. (Boat is an American 14.6 monohul)

The research I have done has led me to the two following most relevant comments:

If your boat has an overhanging boom or an outboard motor, your flagstaff may be offset to starboard (preferably) from your boat's centerline.

sailboats may fly the ensign from the leech of the aftermost sail (or from the back stay), approximately 2/3 the distance up its length. This puts it in about the same position it would occupy if the boat were gaff-rigged.

So.....Try the toppling lift rope? Attach to mainsail? Or Go with starboard shroud? 
If mainsail, what is the best way to attach to the sail itself?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

You managed to use a computer and grasp the idea of google to find this shithole and ask dumb questions. Why not try using the same to find your answer. 

40 minutes ago, Lifesave said:

On the Bow

No spot.  Bow is completely taken up by the stay and the jib

33 minutes ago, mad said:

You managed to use a computer and grasp the idea of google to find this shithole and ask dumb questions. Why not try using the same to find your answer. 

Obviously I have done some initial research and was not able to find something that worked in relation to my boat. This is not my first post, and I'm not a post a question and leave member.  I would hope to stay, and when my experience brings me to a level that I can actually contribute back to this forum I stead of always asking, I hope to do so. 

Relating to your google comment, most videos are of larger boats and show hoisting flags under the spreaders, on the gaff or something else that would not work for my boat as it is not equipped that way.  Which is why I came here THE DINGHY FORUM to ask other human beings with more experience than me a pretty simple question that I would not define as dumb, and potentially be able to ask follow up questions.

Maybe instead of trolling the internet, you could try and interact with other humans in civil discourse.  And people wonder why sailing is having a hard time bringing in new blood.

What you define as a dumb question is actually sort of important to me at the moment.  I didnt find this shithole and ask a question as soon as I thought of it.  I perused around for a bit, and even quoted some things that I found.  However, other people, potentially yourself included could help me out with your experience which I assume is greater than mine.  Instead you decide to have a laugh at the new guy.

Thanks, its appreciated.

• Like 1

1237059.jpg

And we only have them because of our local moth sailor, john bartlett, who put the Texas flag on the side of his moth so could see it at worlds. I copied it and made them for our TCC'rs, but we put them on main for more visibility. And vwap should be put to death, my eyes cannot unsee!

You can stitch the flag onto your mainsail. or you can install two small grommets ( brass ones sold at Home Depot) on the leach where you want to fly your flag. It is then possible to sail without colors. 

Small sail boats often cannot use an ensign staff because there is too much stuff going on ( booms, sheets, etc.) when we sailed the Tempest internationally, it was usual to have a small ensign flying from the backsay for tha sail out to and in from the course.  We felt this was appropriate nationalism and just yachtie enough to be cool.

SHC

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Steve Clark said:

You can stitch the flag onto your mainsail. or you can install two small grommets ( brass ones sold at Home Depot) on the leach where you want to fly your flag. It is then possible to sail without colors. 

Small sail boats often cannot use an ensign staff because there is too much stuff going on ( booms, sheets, etc.) when we sailed the Tempest internationally, it was usual to have a small ensign flying from the backsay for tha sail out to and in from the course.  We felt this was appropriate nationalism and just yachtie enough to be cool.

SHC

Thanks Steve.  Pretty spot on with what I was looking for in my initial post.  I like the idea of tiny grommets on the leech of the main.  How is the best way to do this without ripping the sails?  I'm thinking small vinyl patch/sail repair type stuff barely bigger than the grommet, then punch the grommet through all three mediums (vinyl, sail, vinyl)?

I completely agree about the staff thing.  Way too much going on to mount anything back there.  Plus, with the low ride, it would get wet.

I tried two different options this weekend.  One off starboard shroud and one off topping lift rope.  I like the topping lift rope idea, even though it needed to be about 6 feet higher, I was just putting it up temporarily to get an idea of concept.  I think I'm going to eventually find a temporary solution off the leech of the main though.

20180623_160602.jpg

20180622_195145.jpg

aside from that time we thought we might win the NA's (spoiler alert, we fucked the last day like a box full of razor blades and used needles) i've never once contemplated flying a flag on a dinghy. 

Just now, mustang__1 said:

aside from that time we thought we might win the NA's (spoiler alert, we fucked the last day like a box full of razor blades and used needles) i've never once contemplated flying a flag on a dinghy. 

Also something I like to hear.  And out of curiosity....why is that? Is it because you primarily race? Or is there some sort of faux pas that I'm not aware of regarding flying a flag on a dinghy?  I've seen a few comments that make it appear that flags, ensigns etc are primarily used on yachts...but is there some other unspoken understanding that I haven't heard of yet?

17 minutes ago, DialedN_07 said:

Also something I like to hear.  And out of curiosity....why is that? Is it because you primarily race? Or is there some sort of faux pas that I'm not aware of regarding flying a flag on a dinghy?  I've seen a few comments that make it appear that flags, ensigns etc are primarily used on yachts...but is there some other unspoken understanding that I haven't heard of yet?

just seems hokie to me. Plus, i sail small boats like i'm racing - even if i'm not. I wouldn't want all that disturbance on the boat. if you were racing an olympic class boat then you would have a sticker-flag on the mainsail. I fly them on the lead mines i sail on the way out to the racecourse sometimes, the courtesy flag when in a foreign port, and that's about it. 

29 minutes ago, fastyacht said:

And the quarantine. Don't forget that one :-D

i let the people getting paid to be there deal with that pesky regulatory shit... 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mustang__1 said:

i let the people getting paid to be there deal with that pesky regulatory shit... 

Sailing into Bermuda, quarantine, sat in the boat for 1/2 hour in Georgetown pleasant and simple paperwork and off we go on our scooters.
Sailing to England, quarantine flag flying, 30 foot RIB comes alongside with 4 men in Coat and Tie, they ask permission to board and let us know they will stay out of the way and let us keep racing. We do our paperwork underway, offer them coffee tea (forget if they took it) we say our goodbyes and then some short time later we cross the finish line, fully cleared ready to celebrate ashore!

Just now, Rasputin22 said:

Dialed N

Looking at that mainsail and its colorful decoration I think that you are already flying your flag... NTTIAWWT

Ohhhh yeah buddy!!  She's a proud one for sure. lol 

I laughed the first time I saw the sail.  My buddies still razz me about it, but I'm dreading the day that I replace the sail because they don't make them that color anymore, and I kinda dig it now!

• Like 1

Yeah, 

I used to sell Hobie Cats in New Orleans and the most popular color combination for the sails was 'Tequila Sunrise' which was a pretty close match to the colors in the Gay Pride flag. That was 40 years ago and I'm not sure that the Rainbow Flag was even a thing yet! All the New Orleans gay charterers cared about on the Sunday Brunch trips that we did on our Stiletto 27 was that the Champagne be very cold and the Strawberries and Cream be sweet and ripe. 

Tell your buddies this

Image result for mr rogers gif

• Like 1