T39andcounting

Furling Spinnakers on beach cats?

I've seen furling Spinnakers on a few fast catamarans recently, mainly foilers. The AC boats had them, and they seem to be trickling down to the smaller boats like the Flying Phantom. Is this just a foiling thing, or is there a benefit to non-foilers? Is it just class rules holding back the F18 for example? 

When we first put spinny poles and chutes on beachcats, it was calculated that there was a 5% upwind speed penalty [That might have even been pre-chute times too}. Anything furled is going to hike that penalty up a lot

If the spinnaker is cut fairly flat (ie: a screecher), then it can furl well.

Why? Convenience, IMO. It's a whole lot easier than a chute, much less likely to snag.

It's not only high performance boats. Wetas have it.

I have used both snuffers and furlers, both bottom up and top down.  My preference is for snuffers since there is much less windage and the hoist/take down is pretty straightforward plus the spin can be as full or flat as you like.  Next I like top down furling since again, you can have the spin as full or flat as you like; windage, while up and in use, though is higher and furling is probably too slow for use in races. I least like the bottom up since it rarely furls well and must be cut pretty flat to furl at all (and a lot of sailmakers use crap antitorque line); however, if you have a really fast boat and are racing...this is the way to go.  A lot depends on the spin luff length and your boat/sprit length.  If you have a spin with luff less than 25 ft; I'd go with a snuffer if your boat sprit/foredeck can accommodate.  Just my thoughts--recall that I single handed mostly...answers might be different with crew. 

Recently a convert to a furling spinny on a small Tri I'm playing with, I have to say that I thought that the upwind penalty would have been too great, but on the water the convenience and speed of setting and furling just far out weighs any disadvantage, enough that I think the S1 from the same Outlaw Sailing is the way to go forward for the single handed sailors whilst racing.

Its also interesting to see the SCHRS calculator now has a setting for code O's and the likes on the mid girth measurement. If you fire in say 65% girth instead of the more normal 75% of a pure spinny, it doesn't effect your handicap so much as to not consider giving it a go. Certainly next single handed Cat I have will be fitted with a furler.

tri small.jpg