WANDERLUST

Just bought a J105

Hello I have bought A J105 in Spain. There is no class OD here unfortunatly.

Now I am looking to buy sails but dont know if OD sails are the best option for me. We race in RI and ORC.

also dont know if going with furler is the best option or not, actually the boat goes with tuff luff.

also dont know wich furler is the best option... HARKEN MKIV or underdeck.

can someone help me?

thanks!!!

The harken MKIV is the furler of choice.  We race hull 104 and have had zero issues with our unit. 

OD sails would be ideal if you plan on racing against a fleet of 105's.   Every once an awhile we encounter a boat that is from out of town and does not race OD and they can not compete under our class rules.  ORC does accompany a 105 inventory of non OD sails so if that is what you sail...you are good.

Make sure all the tapped foil screws are fastened and I recommend some locktite to keep them secure.  They do back out after awhile...

how would you do underdeck on a 105, the stem head fitting is at the shear isn't it? Have you received the boat yet? Personally speaking, unless there is a money or rating rule constraint, i would always without question recommend a tufluf/carbofoil over roller furling. Heavy, complicated, hard sail changes (has to be bareheaded, if the swivel decides to take a few laps around the headstay on the way up that's another bear to deal with)). 

The furler that comes with the J/105 has two slots, so you could do peels if you had another halyard. Which you don't.

Recommendations anyway:

1 - Use the standard Harken furler

2 - Buy an OD jib and kite built with the new materials and the latest specs

3 - Go with the traveler option that eliminates the self-tacking main

4 - Get your weight certificate re-done, and place any extra weight forward so you don't drag the transom downwind in light air

Recommendations if you are NOT sailing OD:

1 - Get a 3Di or similar mainsail. The Dacron main is as heavy as hell and really tough to use for single-handing

2 - Get a 150% genoa - great for < 8kt drifters and decent on reachy downwind legs too - especially helpful to keep you moving in light breeze/high current locations

3 - If you have the mast with the extra masthead kite halyard, get a 110m2 kite

1 hour ago, fucket said:

The furler that comes with the J/105 has two slots, so you could do peels if you had another halyard. Which you don't.

the idea of racing with the intention of peeling while hauling around 70lbs of metal and ball bearings in the most waste sensitive part of the boat is further insanity. Not saying i haven't done it - we used to own a 109 and had no legitimate intentions of changing, but that was because of money and rating rule constraints (heavy penalty for changing in our PHRF district). But this guy is evidently investigating the idea of changing over, so it's worth serious consideration. Not sure what to do about the sheave boxes - the european boats have a different section maybe they have two halyards? 

Welcome to the J/boat family!!! Spent many years racing against J/105s in PHRF fleets in my J/109, and watching them race each other in one design. If you consistently have breeze in the teens and above in your area, using the one design sails gets you a very favorable handicap, and your should be competitive right out of the box. If most of your sailing is in wind speeds in the single digits, you might want to consider using the larger Genoa and spinnaker options, as the boat is a bit under-powered in class sails in the light stuff. Also, try to find another 105 with a similar sail plan to tune with, so you have an idea of how fast/slow/high/low to sail the boat for best VMG. Finally, get the polars for your sail plan, and set up target speeds/angles for 6/8/10/12/15/20 knots of breeze, to help you get a sense of the "right" speed to sail the boat. Downwind it will be fun to sail hotter, faster angles, but they don;t always result in the best VMC.

Oh, and HAVE FUN!!!

Facnor's are nice...not sure about replacement parts and some of the models are webbed line controled which is not a viable use with a J105.  Unless you have enough line tapered into the webbing strap that only is on the drum.

I have used facnors that are double ended control and used on short handed boats like a seascape 27.

On hull#288 which is US built I have a spare halyard sheave box and masthead kite option. If you have the optional genoa tracks then you can get a bigger headsail but as the boats designed it doesn't help much. I would get a bigger kite if your mast is equipped for it, other than that OD is the best configuration.