Sign in to follow this  
Clove Hitch

Dyneema vs. German Shepherd

Could an 80 lb German Shepherd chew through a  1/4" line of Dyneema? 

Asking for a friend. 

10 minutes tops.  Gave a piece of 1/2" amsteel blue to my buddys malinois, did not last a day.

15 minutes ago, Schnick said:

10 minutes tops.  Gave a piece of 1/2" amsteel blue to my buddys malinois, did not last a day.

NO shit?  Thanks for the info.

I take this big guy back packing and when I set up camp he goes into total guard mode.  Wants to challenge and charge anything that comes near- including nearby hikers and campers.  i'm trying to figure out something other than a couple feet of small chain to keep him from getting into trouble.  But looks like a bit of chain it is. 

18 hours ago, Clove Hitch said:

NO shit?  Thanks for the info.

I take this big guy back packing and when I set up camp he goes into total guard mode.  Wants to challenge and charge anything that comes near- including nearby hikers and campers.  i'm trying to figure out something other than a couple feet of small chain to keep him from getting into trouble.  But looks like a bit of chain it is. 

Zip tie something he wont like along it(very light chain that he could pull and snap) or wire wrap the end.  Anything to take away the appeal.  If he's likely to learn and not try again later, soak it in bitter-yuck or something else nasty.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:13 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

rub pepper all over it so he won't chew it. 

I dunno about this. I had a Lab once that kept chewing my garden hose at the bib. I bought some super hot (like 5 million scoville) sauce and slathered it on, left her out back with plenty of water in her dish and came out ten minutes later to find her licking the stuff off. Maybe German Shepherds prefer sauerkraut but Labs like it hot.

Actually, your best bet might be some small braided wire, with a nicro press at each end. You can make your own at west marine. We have a cane Corso and a ridgeback, and they won't mess with it.

My mum has a beagle that needs to be restrained inside of an evening, chews through rope but wire/chain scratches the floor.

I got some cover off 12mm spectra and inserted some 5mm 7x19 SS inside it, leaving just cover to tuck inside itself for the ends.

Has worked a treat.

On 6/28/2018 at 3:03 PM, kinardly said:

I dunno about this. I had a Lab once that kept chewing my garden hose at the bib. I bought some super hot (like 5 million scoville) sauce and slathered it on, left her out back with plenty of water in her dish and came out ten minutes later to find her licking the stuff off. Maybe German Shepherds prefer sauerkraut but Labs like it hot.

hot didn't work on my dogs but I wish I had a youtube video of the first time they tried bitter-yuck which is why I suggested it.  :lol: Never fucked with a leash again, I left it soaking in a bowl for a bit, and made sure there was plenty of water around for the chew, chew... oh shit moment.

For the shop(weight no issue) I got a double ended 20' vinyl covered stainless cable with hook on either end, cut it in half at the 15' mark, and used a regular heat shrink but connector to join the ends around a toolchest handle since I didn't have any nico fittings, probably weighs 200 grams or so.   Vinyl won't scratch up the tool chest or make noise, and a couple bites later they decide it isn't worth gnawing on, 15' if the pup if we've got the door open to move boats, 5' if she's decided to be an asshole and is fucking with everything.  Cost me less than 10$ installed w/ two hooks and two lengths.

On 6/24/2018 at 4:13 AM, Alcatraz5768 said:

rub pepper all over it so he won't chew it. 

I wish that worked.  I tried that once and I came back to my lab EATING the damn thing.  Stick with chain.