Sign in to follow this  
Wet Spreaders

Strawberry Thief

if posting a video so it will play is too much

you may be outsmarted

try putting shortcake and whipped cream in trap

yer welcome in advance

Plain ole Victor trap. Put it in the garden. Bait without setting so the little bastard gets used to taking the bait without a problem. Takes a couple nights 3-4......do this till the bait consistently is gone in the morning. Then the last night bait and load the trap. I use Slim Jim’s.....it’s like rat crack. You can push it onto the little spike on the bait platform and it is impossible to take without springing the trap. 

Buh bye rat......

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Point Break said:

Plain ole Victor trap. Put it in the garden. Bait without setting so the little bastard gets used to taking the bait without a problem. Takes a couple nights 3-4......do this till the bait consistently is gone in the morning. Then the last night bait and load the trap. I use Slim Jim’s.....it’s like rat crack. You can push it onto the little spike on the bait platform and it is impossible to take without springing the trap. 

Buh bye rat......

as an added measure wash the trap to get human scent off and when you bait and set use rudder gloves....that said the rat is more interested if fruit off the plant at this point...trap placement is important too

and just an added bonus,  don't try and relocate it elsewhere..   we actually have laws here and a hefty fine...   call animal control to come pick it up..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

and just an added bonus,  don't try and relocate it elsewhere..   we actually have laws here and a hefty fine...   call animal control to come pick it up..

yeah....Animal Control is going to pick up a dead rat....

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

A season or so ago, I live trapped 72 squirrels......yes 72......over the course of about 3 months off my back wall adjacent to my avocado tree. (filthy little rats with tails). Since I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to "disposal" and even knowing the laws against relocation, I drove them over the bridge into a huge open area and let them go. Pretty sure the hawks loved me. Mrs PB was sure we had repeat offenders, so I spray painted a series of them with a big orange splotch on their side to see if I got any "do overs". Not one. I'm pretty sure the hawks enjoyed the easy to spot treats though.............

8 minutes ago, Point Break said:

A season or so ago, I live trapped 72 squirrels......yes 72......over the course of about 3 months off my back wall adjacent to my avocado tree. (filthy little rats with tails). Since I am pretty much a wuss when it comes to "disposal" and even knowing the laws against relocation, I drove them over the bridge into a huge open area and let them go. Pretty sure the hawks loved me. Mrs PB was sure we had repeat offenders, so I spray painted a series of them with a big orange splotch on their side to see if I got any "do overs". Not one. I'm pretty sure the hawks enjoyed the easy to spot treats though.............

Bushy tailed rats.....I have no second thoughts about a quick kill of rats or squirrels, I've never had a squirrel problem ....I have relocated many feral cats and raccoons.....F' the relocation laws...too much trouble for such an easy solution for one to solve

I don't know how my whole post appeared in bold text I only intended (filthy little rats with tails).

38 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Bushy tailed rats.....I have no second thoughts about a quick kill of rats or squirrels, I've never had a squirrel problem ....I have relocated many feral cats and raccoons.....F' the relocation laws...too much trouble for such an easy solution for one to solve

there was a german couple down the street, she'd trap em and then toss said trap into a 5 gal bucket of water...   I think they were ex-guards..

3 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

I have no moral objections to doing in the bushy tailed rats. I just don't have it in me. If I had a neighbor willing to do the dirty deed, I'd gladly hand em over. The release thing is a little inconvenient but it works for me.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Point Break said:

I have no moral objections to doing in the bushy tailed rats. I just don't have it in me. If I had a neighbor willing to do the dirty deed, I'd gladly hand em over. The release thing is a little inconvenient but it works for me.

170408025_swanpepeopel.jpg.c29c1dbc76bbef0c1c5d0e3b5ab1347b.jpg

ist onley ritte...............                              :)

Get a motion activated sprinkler.

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

Worst live trap experience of my life was after catching a skunk instead of the raccoons I was trying to deal with. There’s just no clear winner in that battle. 

35 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Worst live trap experience of my life was after catching a skunk instead of the raccoons I was trying to deal with. There’s just no clear winner in that battle. 

:blink:

44 minutes ago, Monkey said:

what kinde a baitte didde you put in theire?

3 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

what kinde a baitte didde you put in theire?

It would’ve been hilarious for everyone except me on YouTube. Thankfully, my impromptu outfit held up (old worn out Gill drysuit, plastic face shield, rubber gloves, and duct tape).  Unfortunately, the little shit went bonkers in the back of my truck. That smell lasted a LONG time. The other problem was that I had to suit back up to let little Pepe LePieu out. I must have touched something because the smell was on my hands for days. 

Try enjoying any food when your hands smell like skunk. 

3 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Thankfully, my impromptu outfit held up (old worn out Gill drysuit, plastic face shield, rubber gloves, and duct tape).  Unfortunately, the little shit went bonkers in the back of my truck. That smell lasted a LONG time.

Mabey he wase a Henrey LLoyde fan?                           :)

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Mabey he wase a Henrey LLoyde fan?                           :)

I already had new HL gear. He was just an asshole. 

I let the little bastard go outside of a state park. If I ever see him again, he’s going in a bucket full of water. It’s personal!

In the summer I keep a 55gal barrel of water next to the "live" trap. With skunks you just approach the closed end of the trap and sploosh into the barrel. There's usually a little oil slick but not too bad. 

Winter is more problematic, gotta choot em. It lingers until summer.

8 hours ago, Guitar said:

Get a motion activated sprinkler.

Those things work so well. 

I wish the problem in my strawberry patch was the bunnies all over the place, because I can combat bunnies with the dog or that sprinkler. But my problem is that my strawberry plants themselves are jerks, and the raspberry bush is a total fucking asshole.

They grow like mad, lush green leaves, they spread all over the place. And the strawberries make little flowers and tiny fruit, but they won't get big. The raspberry plant won't even flower, it just keep taking over turf but it won't put out with some fruit. I give the soil all the phosphate that is supposedly needs, I water a lot, they get enough sun, still ... nada. I think the plants themselves are fucking with me.

Sticky traps .... line the thing with them... then you  can get the satisfaction of smashing them to death afterward 

16 hours ago, Point Break said:

don't people eat these things? I'm sure I've seen them at the market and later fried up in egg rolls..

10 minutes ago, captpiratedog said:

don't people eat these things? I'm sure I've seen them at the market and later fried up in egg rolls..

In 2nd grade in northern Virginia 1956 my best friend and I were eating lunch and I asked him what was in his sandwich...he answered squirrel I shot it in the woods yesterday afternoon with my .22 rifle....there are probably still plenty on squirrels in Vienna,Va but no more woods....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Monkey said:

It would’ve been hilarious for everyone except me on YouTube. Thankfully, my impromptu outfit held up (old worn out Gill drysuit, plastic face shield, rubber gloves, and duct tape).  Unfortunately, the little shit went bonkers in the back of my truck. That smell lasted a LONG time. The other problem was that I had to suit back up to let little Pepe LePieu out. I must have touched something because the smell was on my hands for days. 

Try enjoying any food when your hands smell like skunk. 

Genuine question - I'm aware, anecdotally, that the skunk smell is bad but what does it smell of?

1 hour ago, captpiratedog said:

Sticky traps .... line the thing with them... then you  can get the satisfaction of smashing them to death afterward 

One should always tie the sticky glue trap to something solid.  We had a trap go missing in the tool crib at work, when the critter done dragged it off to God knows where.  Now, I always punch a hole in the cardboard and Ty-Rap it to a pipe or something.  And, instead of "smashing them to death",  I just drop the glue trap, mouse side down into a toilet, and "wash" them.  After a few minutes of immersion, it is safe to release them anywhere!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

Genuine question - I'm aware, anecdotally, that the skunk smell is bad but what does it smell of?

a unique smell ...not a gag reflex type of smell....in a word ...repulsive

3 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

a unique smell ...not a gag reflex type of smell....in a word ...repulsive

So, rotten eggs? Socks? Cheese? Fish?

What "flavour"?

1 minute ago, Black Sox said:

What "flavour"?

those are offensive smells.......skunk is repulsive...not stinky...not gag reflex....it simply makes you want to get away in a very urgent way

1 hour ago, Black Sox said:

What "flavour"?

Thiols produced by modified anal glands are the culprit, so closer to rotten eggs mixed with vomit and diarrhea. Multiplied by 1000. It's the smell produced by rotting flesh, tainted food, feces, etc. Basically, all the things your brain evolved to have you avoid. Once you've smelled it, you'll never forget it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk#Anal_scent_glands

2 hours ago, Black Sox said:

If it's right near you, it's bad. But if it's drifting in the night air, from far off, it has an appealing, musky kind of smell. 

When it sprays from close up, it's that same musky smell, but it overpowers. It's not the smell of anything rotten, it's the smell of a passionate animal, but overloading the circuits. It seems to trigger a response of millions of years, "you ain't getting laid tonight, caveman."

Unlike many trash pandas, or rabbits, or squirrels, or coyotes, the skunk is a noble little creature. They respect human boundaries, they defend themselves, but avoid confrontation. They even evolved that blaze of white, they apparently haven't needed to worry much about predation for a long time.

A bit of a drift....has anyone fooled around with the prank product Liquid Ass ?.....Great Fun :)....you can get it on AMZN for about $10...just reading the comments about the product will crack you up

2 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

those are offensive smells.......skunk is repulsive...not stinky...not gag reflex....it simply makes you want to get away in a very urgent way

my akita got sprayed one night when I was walking him off leash late one night, he cornered it by someone's front door,  I bet they had to move..  anyway, everytime I bathed him for about 3 years you'd get a whiff ..    threw his collar away when I got home..

45 minutes ago, mikewof said:

If it's right near you, it's bad. But if it's drifting in the night air, from far off, it has an appealing, musky kind of smell. 

When it sprays from close up, it's that same musky smell, but it overpowers. It's not the smell of anything rotten, it's the smell of a passionate animal, but overloading the circuits. It seems to trigger a response of millions of years, "you ain't getting laid tonight, caveman."

Unlike many trash pandas, or rabbits, or squirrels, or coyotes, the skunk is a noble little creature. They respect human boundaries, they defend themselves, but avoid confrontation. They even evolved that blaze of white, they apparently haven't needed to worry much about predation for a long time.

almost dead animalish..  or something between the folds of fat of a big girl..

they are also a notorious carrier of rabies ..

1 hour ago, mikewof said:

Owls, especially the Great Horned Owl will kill and eat skunks quite happily. They don’t give a shit about no smell. 

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Owls, especially the Great Horned Owl will kill and eat skunks quite happily. They don’t give a shit about no smell. 

They also do a nice job with feral cats....we have both Bard and GH owls in our neighborhood....they make some eerie calls...which I actually enjoy before going back to sleep

5 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

They also do a nice job with feral cats....we have both Bard and GH owls in our neighborhood....they make some eerie calls...which I actually enjoy before going back to sleep

Owls are way cool critters. Not many around here. We do, however, have an abundance of the smelly little trash pickers. 

5 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Owls are way cool critters. Not many around here. We do, however, have an abundance of the smelly little trash pickers. 

Bad azz raptors ....

18 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Bad azz raptors ....

Far+Side-Birds+of+Prey.jpg

9 hours ago, mikewof said:

Those things work so well. 

I wish the problem in my strawberry patch was the bunnies all over the place, because I can combat bunnies with the dog or that sprinkler. But my problem is that my strawberry plants themselves are jerks, and the raspberry bush is a total fucking asshole.

They grow like mad, lush green leaves, they spread all over the place. And the strawberries make little flowers and tiny fruit, but they won't get big. The raspberry plant won't even flower, it just keep taking over turf but it won't put out with some fruit. I give the soil all the phosphate that is supposedly needs, I water a lot, they get enough sun, still ... nada. I think the plants themselves are fucking with me.

having planted Chillies  and grown tomatoes You might wanna bring a clipping to a nursery 

ya might be growing cilantro or ????

20 hours ago, Point Break said:

Neighbor had two little yorkies, they were out romping in the yard, big fucking owl swooped down and grabbed one. The remaining yorkie never left the porch again. 

Owls are cool.

22 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

A bit of a drift....has anyone fooled around with the prank product Liquid Ass?.....Great Fun :)....you can get it on AMZN for about $10...just reading the comments about the product will crack you up

I saw that.. 

25 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Neighbor had two little yorkies, they were out romping in the yard, big fucking owl swooped down and grabbed one. The remaining yorkie never left the porch again. 

Owls are cool.

That would suck. 

However.....if you live where there are raptors that prey on small mammals and then let the small mammals you are fond of frolick in the yard, one could make a case it was......unwise.

2 minutes ago, Point Break said:

That would suck. 

However.....if you live where there are raptors that prey on small mammals and then let the small mammals you are fond of frolick in the yard, one could make a case it was......unwise.

Like building a house in a known lava flow path, or Oklahoma.

2 hours ago, bmiller said:

Like building a house in a known lava flow path, or Oklahoma.

No argument there. 

On 6/25/2018 at 2:00 PM, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

there was a german couple down the street, she'd trap em and then toss said trap into a 5 gal bucket of water...   I think they were ex-guards..

My dad would catch the squirrels in a trap and take them down the road, if mom got to the trap before he did she would throw it into the bayou come back in a couple hours and get the dead squirrel out. Mom was not a guard but only wanted to fix a problem once. 

1 hour ago, DarthSailor said:

My dad would catch the squirrels in a trap and take them down the road, if mom got to the trap before he did she would throw it into the bayou come back in a couple hours and get the dead squirrel out. Mom was not a guard but only wanted to fix a problem once. 

you sure your mom's name isn't hilda?   she needs to be more creative

18 minutes ago, Grande Mastere Dreade said:

you sure your mom's name isn't hilda?   she needs to be more creative

One of my stations which was overrun with mice at certain times of the year discovered you could launch mice with a potato gun.......mousetranauts they called them........thank goodness the squirrels were too big to fit. The lady who took notice of the pastime was not impressed.

But that’s story for another day. 

Raccoons are among NA’s greatest animals together with panthers, bears, wolves, wolverines, bison and domestic cats.  They should not be trapped or killed due to ineptitude in protecting ones strawberries.

SAD!

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Raccoons are among NA’s greatest animals together with panthers, bears, wolves, wolverines, bison and domestic cats.  They should not be trapped or killed due to ineptitude in protecting ones strawberries.

SAD!

Well lizard redux, eating the strawberries.......it was a rat.........not a raccoon in the video he posted. Raccoons are much larger....have this bandit mask fur marking and a bushy tail. 

1 minute ago, Point Break said:

Well lizard redux, eating the strawberries.......it was a rat.........not a raccoon in the video he posted. Raccoons are much larger....have this bandit mask fur marking and a bushy tail. 

Sorry! I did not have time to check the video and a quick search showed WOODY is obsessed with raccoons.

i just assumed...

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

Sorry! I did not have time to check the video and a quick search showed WOODY is obsessed with raccoons.

i just assumed...

Dumbass.

19 minutes ago, Fakenews said:

i just assumed...

Overrun not obsessed 

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

That would suck. 

Lost a cat a while back, and I thought it was an owl that got him... he loved laying out on out patio table at night...  Wife and FIL swear it was a coyote "cus there are no owls in our area..." I say no way the coyote could get over our fence unless of course there was a coyote Olympic high jumping event... and that cat would have been on the roof in seconds flat the minute he heard the nosie.

A month of so later the wife and I are sitting in the back yard enjoying a bottle of Rodney Strong Zinfendel when this big old boy of an owl comes swooping right over our heads... we  wouldn't have know it we wern't looking up at the time...   Wife looks over and comments "in the 20 years I have known you for once you get it right... "

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Lost a cat a while back, and I thought it was an owl that got him... he loved laying out on out patio table at night...  Wife and FIL swear it was a coyote "cus there are no owls in our area..." I say no way the coyote could get over our fence unless of course there was a coyote Olympic high jumping event... and that cat would have been on the roof in seconds flat the minute he heard the nosie.

A month of so later the wife and I are sitting in the back yard enjoying a bottle of Rodney Strong Zinfendel when this big old boy of an owl comes swooping right over our heads... we  wouldn't have know it we wern't looking up at the time...   Wife looks over and comments "in the 20 years I have known you for once you get it right... "

It is quite impressive to see one fly at night... big... fast ... and silent...

Yeah  I saw a big ass snowy owl swoop over my head in a open warehouse,  quiet as a mouse.

totally capable of swiping a cat.

• Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

It is quite impressive to see one fly at night... big... fast ... and silent...

juaste as impressieve durning the daytime.                              :)

28 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

juaste as impressieve durning the daytime.                              :)

yeah but at night they surprise you coming unexpectedly and disappearing just as fast...I was at a wedding in Ireland 2 weeks ago and a falcon was the ring bearer delivering the ring to the best man....after the wedding the falconers let folks hold and allow the falcons to land on their out stretched  hand...really cool....they also had an owl...really magnificent feathers...I asked about the ring of feathers around an owl face and he said it was for focusing sound waves so the owl could zero in on the source 

ryan.jpg

Old upper Wisconsin trick from my grandma for skunk spray on a dog...Bathe the critter in tomato juice.  A lot of it.  Rinse and repeat.

15 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

yeah but at night they surprise you coming unexpectedly and disappearing just as fast...I was at a wedding in Ireland 2 weeks ago and a falcon was the ring bearer delivering the ring to the best man....after the wedding the falconers let folks hold and allow the falcons to land on their out stretched  hand...really cool....they also had an owl...really magnificent feathers...I asked about the ring of feathers around an owl face and he said it was for focusing sound waves so the owl could zero in on the source 

1st time I saw one close up Mrs PB and I were walking across Northern England on the coast to coast trail. We stayed an extra day in Grasmere (wanted to see Wordsworth's grave etc) and we rode the bus down to Windermere where there is a big waterfront park. Sitting in the park was some guy with several owls on display, not in cages but sitting on perches. I don't know what organization he was affiliated with but it was obviously a formal nature education outreach sort of thing (as a opposed to some nut job with a couple birds). It seemed intended to convince the locals that those birds were an important part of the ecosystem and stop shooting/hunting them as pests. Anyway Mrs PB held one (a pretty small one) and we got quite a close look. Amazing....and slightly intimidating...critters. I can see why they are portrayed as "wise old owls". This little dude had some shit going on in his little brain. 

7 hours ago, Fakenews said:

SAD!

Hey gaytor, long time no disgust.

Between coons, skunks and porcupines which is your favorite? I've killed many of each, the next one I'll dedicate to you!

10 hours ago, Fakenews said:

i just assumed...

Nope - not a trash panda, a frigging jumpy kind of rat critter that hates poison, cheese, peanut butter and slimjims. My new plan is to cut all of the strawberries off the plants and bait the trap with the last remaining juicy red remnant. 

22 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Old upper Wisconsin trick from my grandma for skunk spray on a dog...Bathe the critter in tomato juice.  A lot of it.  Rinse and repeat.

nah, doesn't work...    any bath will cut the oils...    I would start with a very liberal amount of dawn..

12 hours ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Nope - not a trash panda, a frigging jumpy kind of rat critter that hates poison, cheese, peanut butter and slimjims. My new plan is to cut all of the strawberries off the plants and bait the trap with the last remaining juicy red remnant. 

or dried corn..

Got the fucker! Slimjims, classic rat trap and denuded strawberry plants did the trick!

38 minutes ago, Wet Spreaders said:

Got the fucker! Slimjims, classic rat trap and denuded strawberry plants did the trick!

Don't get cocky, there's more.

There's always more.

Do a Google search for Joseph Carter the mink man. Him and his mink and dog kill tons of rats.

Awesome.