DryArmour

CHI-MAC Race Wx

The 1985 PH Mac was my first Mac race, and probably the worst.  Never been so seasick in my life.  On the plus side, never had conditions like this since then.

"1985 was deluged with applications to enter the race. When all was said, 316 boats were entered in IOR, PHRF and ULDB (multihull) classes. Believe it or not the forecasters called for weather with light to moderate winds, but did not take in account the now famous rule of 5's. Late Sunday the wind built to 25 knots out of the southwest, but as a front came through, a giant shift for the worst hit the fleet. Near Tobermory, the NA40 Maxitrol called the doctor on the Bramble that they had a crew member with chest pains. Taking all her sails down, the Bramble steamed near and sent Fleet Surgeon Calvin Hughes out with a coast guard crewman to assist. Appearing in just a wind breaker the good doctor examined the patient aboard Maxitrol and recommended an evacuation to the closest hospital. A launch came from Tobermory and the crew member boarded the launch in ten foot seas. Ironically the patient recovered in the hospital while Doctor Hughes broke his ankle walking ashore from the Bramble at Mackinac Island. Later the wind came out of the northwest and the temperature dropped into the 40's. Suddenly there not only dismastings and boats dropping out but a "mayday". On Tom Lowry's C&C35 Tomahawk's a crewman went below and found waist deep water inside the boat. It appeared to be coming from a large opening on the starboard side amidship. The sent out numerous Maydays giving their loran position. Finally all 8 members of the crew into the life raft as the decks became awash. They had managed to make contact with the Bramble and Com. Charlie Bayer Sr. on Old Bear. Charlie was about a mile and a half away and immediately altered course to lend assistance. Joining his crew of 8 on Old Bear they proceeded on to Alpena. Tomahawk later sank at 11:20 pm 26 miles west of Tobermory, Ontario. The national weather service reported the winds were in the 40 knot range and waves were 10 feet high in the lake. A total of 96 yachts dropped out of the race. 4 yachts were dismasted and several broke their booms. Helicopters lowered fuel to several yachts and one was towed into a Canadian port by a freighter. Because of this, a safety rule was added to have a minimum amount of fuel for such emergencies and is strictly enforced. To this day if you ask many old goats which was the most difficult race they had sailed in they will tell you 1985. The quote from the Detroit Free Press headline was very appropiate, "Mackinac race winner: The lake!"

• Like 1

One model still has the northerly blasting down Wisconsin and the easterly fresh, but across most of the lake. Predict wind updates in 6 hours, pick the forecast model that helps you sleep the best tonight.

53 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

The 1985 PH Mac was my first Mac race, and probably the worst.  Never been so seasick in my life.  On the plus side, never had conditions like this since then.

The quote from the Detroit Free Press headline was very appropiate, "Mackinac race winner: The lake!"

I was on a Chance 32/28 during that 1985 race with 6 other crew – it was Lake Huron at her worst.  We sailed past the USCG Bramble was trying to hold station and give some wind and wave cover to Maxitrol during the patient transfer.  My thought at the time was that given the sea state and how the two boats were banging against one another they would never get that guy off the boat.  

Just before sunset some of the crew became seasick and by the time it was dark there were only 2 of us running the boat.  Five were down below unable to function.  One guy is vomiting over the leeside and every time he came out he was soaked by water coming over the boat.  Now we’re sailing off the lee shore of Manitoulin Island and no one capable of giving us a loran fix.  We’re under storm jib and double reefed main and tacking through about 135 degrees.  All night long the pattern was the same – drive up a steep wave, nearly stall, then surf down the backside and crash to a halt when we hit the trough.

By daybreak we’d had enough.  During the night we only made about 15NM of forward progress with 90 NM to go.  The sea and winds were down only slightly, but still on the nose and I was very concerned how two of us could go the distance.  We sailed back to South Baymouth for shelter where we learned 2/3rds of the boats in our class had retired.   

• Like 1

I did than '85 PH-Mac, and sort of remember it a follows :

It was 2AM and pitch black. No moon, no stars. Impossible to see. Driving rain. Howling wind. The boat bucked and lurched like a rodeo bull foaming at the mouth on PCP. Cold. Bone chilling cold. Like how your hand gets when you’re rooting around in the half-melted ice in the bottom of the cooler for that last can of Old Milwaukee. But no time for happy memories now. Must focus. No time now for distractions.

He trimmed harder. Lines groaned. He groaned. Just a bit more. He could feel its effect now. A little bit more - not too much though. “If in doubt, let it out” was the old saw. Yes – that was it - perfect! Finally, he got his pipe berth in just the right position and drifted off into a psychotic slumber filled with visions of places he’d been and people he’d known, like that one barmaid he met during a stop on that delivery from Montserrat to Caracas, who asked if she could come along because she wanted to see her sister Cecilia who was going to be married next month to the son of the outhouse builder the next village over but she didn’t really like him but went along with it because she read in an old copy of “New Yorker” magazine about a guy who became fabulously wealthy by building buildings and making “developments” and so she knew in the deepest places of  her heart that Rodrigo would well and truly be the “Donaldo Trump” of the Venezualan  countryside. Sure, they would have to start small, maybe only a two-placer – but then, by employing a modular concept, they could grow and grow and grow…

His reverie was short lived as his fellow crewmate that they called “Animal” attempted the impossible by trying to squeeze his 300+ lb physique of solid toned fat into the pipe berth above him, using every lurch of the boat to extrude his belly-rolls into the 8 inch rectangular orifice formed by the frame of the pipe berth and the deck above. With each pounding wave the stresses and strains took their toll; first tiny cracks appearing in the gelcoat above, then tiny cracks appearing in his ribs and sternum. “Aaarnml, wht thhh fckn yuuutryn do me oomph, ah!” he mumbled from the berth below, gasping for breath (not a wise idea, given the stench of vomit rising from the bilge joining forces with Animal’s savory body secretions). “Oh, sorry Joe, just figured it’d be better if I was up in the top berth” Animal retorted. “There is no top berth, that’s just for gear bags you overgrown Andre the Giant impostor!” This did not dissuade the porcine corpulent one from further endeavors.

“Here - take my bunk, just let me get – oof – out of here”. With what seemed like his last breath (sucked in, no doubt), he extricated himself from the pipe berth and was launched, courtesy of the helmsman’s inerrant ability to slam the boat into the front of every 3rd oncoming wave, onto the teak-and-holly surfaced petri dish masquerading as a cabin sole. In the dim cabin, lit only by the glow of the red LEDs that made the B&G190 displays utterly unreadable and the ash at the end of the roach the navigator was bogarting, he groped for his mildewed Line 7 among the detritus. Thusly attired, he scrambled up the companionway ladder and belly-flopped onto the cockpit sole courtesy of yet another one of the helmsman’s attempts at eradicating all evidence of the boat’s forward progress.

The brain trust on deck at that moment consisted of “Tug”, aka the human cleat, tending what remained of the flogging inside-out sliver of a mainsail, and “Scool”, the barefoot antipodean dancing about in the helmsman’s cockpit cum wheel-trough, generally losing his battle with maintaining control of his flailing appendages, not to mention the wheel.

“Aaaay, maaaayte, aincha supposed to be off watch?” Scool inquired once his feet were firmly planted again on gelcoat. “Whaddyer doin’ out here in this bust up?”  

“Shaddup and give me the wheel” he barked, just as Scool slammed into another vertical wall of water, sending it blasting down upon the miserable figures huddled in the cockpit. The icy streams running down his neck and back failed to wake Tug from his reverie. Scool handed off the helm with a whirl and a twirl, and slithered down below to take his place among the groaning contingent of mal-de-mer aficionados who had transformed the cabin into such a pit of despair that would leave a Tower of London Guard quivering with fright.

2:30 AM, still pitch black, still cold as a New York feminist on Valentine’s Day. “Must be hell  ashore on a night like this”, he thought.    

43 minutes ago, Morgan Crewed said:

I was on a Chance 32/28 during that 1985 race with 6 other crew – it was Lake Huron at her worst.  We sailed past the USCG Bramble was trying to hold station and give some wind and wave cover to Maxitrol during the patient transfer.  My thought at the time was that given the sea state and how the two boats were banging against one another they would never get that guy off the boat.  

Just before sunset some of the crew became seasick and by the time it was dark there were only 2 of us running the boat.  Five were down below unable to function.  One guy is vomiting over the leeside and every time he came out he was soaked by water coming over the boat.  Now we’re sailing off the lee shore of Manitoulin Island and no one capable of giving us a loran fix.  We’re under storm jib and double reefed main and tacking through about 135 degrees.  All night long the pattern was the same – drive up a steep wave, nearly stall, then surf down the backside and crash to a halt when we hit the trough.

By daybreak we’d had enough.  During the night we only made about 15NM of forward progress with 90 NM to go.  The sea and winds were down only slightly, but still on the nose and I was very concerned how two of us could go the distance.  We sailed back to South Baymouth for shelter where we learned 2/3rds of the boats in our class had retired.   

We finished the race, as miserable as it was.  Bone chilling cold.  One guy on the rail - his feet were turning blue.  Turned out to be the dye from his topsiders bleeding through.

Crew got a couple of laughs out of my misery.  I was in the head trying to drop a deuce when the driver tacked, I came tumbling out with my foulies around my ankles. 

Second one was when they gave me a pot to puke in.  When they tacked, the pot ended up all over me.  I had enough at that point.  Went up on the rail, ate some saltines, and felt better.

The constant banging into the next wave shook the rigging so hard we thought it would come down at any moment.  Brought the boat to a stop. 

Coming up on the crest of the waves, we could see other boats around us at night.   In the troughs, we couldn't see anyone.

Helmsman saw a light ahead of us and asked the navigator what it was.  Navigator replied "there's nothing on the chart".  Driver said "there sure as shit is something".  Tacked away.  It was a light on a spot where a ship had wrecked years ago.

I did hear the mayday over the radio that was likely from Tomahawk.  Then the radio sputtered out and did not hear anything more.

• Like 1

I think it's going to be a fun ride. The Lake is still pretty cold - marine layers. It'll be changing its mind on whims. I'd head for Pt. Betsie and pray to my cup of coffee.

7 minutes ago, austin1972 said:

I think it's going to be a fun ride. The Lake is still pretty cold - marine layers. It'll be changing its mind on whims. I'd head for Pt. Betsie and pray to my cup of coffee.

Fun ride? If that's your definition of going up hill for 40-50 hrs in the rain and cold before being becalmed 10 miles from the finish!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

Fun ride? If that's your definition of going up hill for 40-50 hrs in the rain and cold before being becalmed 10 miles from the finish!

It actually is. Except the becalmed part when the black flies come in and eat you. That part is a horror movie.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, doghouse said:

Why can't you reef? I can sort you out in no time.

Great offer and THANK YOU.  Reality is with all our bow mods and paint and projects, we were 5 weeks late hitting the water and have sailed the boat 4 times, never in more than 12 knots of breeze--- Our boat is largely untested and I simply dont think we're ready for what I believe this race is gonna be, esp. as I sail with my kids on the boat.

Boat came with one inshore main, 3Di, loft says ya cant add reef points to it and in 20 Mac races I rarely have needed to reef including the past couple years on the old farr 40 but  I believe the F400 in more than 20 knots will just flog the shit out of the main, likelihood of a failure seems high, and I'd rather be able to sail the rest of the season.....

That said, I wish you guys the very best on this one !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the other mongo said:

What is this mythical "Port Huron" race that people speak of?

Perry Smith and the RESOLUTE RACING TEAM can tell you...Sweet 1/4 zips too.

Perry Smith wins Bay Mac 3rd.jpg

Joey Baker, (far left  thumbs up) is a great GLSS solo sailor who will be sailing the Chicago Mac with us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gangbusters said:

Joey Baker, (far left  thumbs up) is a great GLSS solo sailor who will be sailing the Chicago Mac with us.

You should take a vote with your crew. They may just want to let Joey take this one solo. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1sailor said:

Great offer and THANK YOU.  Reality is with all our bow mods and paint and projects, we were 5 weeks late hitting the water and have sailed the boat 4 times, never in more than 12 knots of breeze--- Our boat is largely untested and I simply dont think we're ready for what I believe this race is gonna be, esp. as I sail with my kids on the boat.

Boat came with one inshore main, 3Di, loft says ya cant add reef points to it and in 20 Mac races I rarely have needed to reef including the past couple years on the old farr 40 but  I believe the F400 in more than 20 knots will just flog the shit out of the main, likelihood of a failure seems high, and I'd rather be able to sail the rest of the season.....

That said, I wish you guys the very best on this one !

Totally understand. In over 20 you definitely want to reef this boat, bummer about the sail being a no go.

50 minutes ago, stayoutofthemiddle said:

You should take a vote with your crew. They may just want to let Joey take this one solo. :lol:

I am also a GLSS solo Mac member. We have way more crew than we are used to but I am glad to have them aboard!

With all due respect to DA and the other weather gurus, this is the only forecast you need.

want-to-know-the-forecast-pain.jpg

4 hours ago, Gangbusters said:

I am also a GLSS solo Mac member. We have way more crew than we are used to but I am glad to have them aboard!

Good Luck & Godspeed Gangbusters!

Yes Gods speed and good luck to the CYC 2018 Mac fleet.

I finished and survived 85. Saw the red eye of a sinking boats aerial flair. The dismasted CC 40 footer shooting down wind 10 feet to weather as they passes in the black with no running light to see or warning they were coming. The taped on foules. The rail ride being picked up off the deck with a stanton between my legs to keep me in place as we found another cresting wave to punch through in the black.. The QF Red wreck bouy of the Mordmeer to leeward just after we tacked north. 2 min. More goin west could have been a real problem.The apple that finished my fun sail. The Naval Commander who thought we needed to be on the rail, just after some one said it’s not to bad sitting in the back hiding from the green water coming back behind the cabin top.

Saw the retired fleet in Alpena. It rained inside the boat in a rain storm on the way back. Every deck fitting that could leaked. Drying out the boat after a Thunder Bay storm and the visit to the Alpena laundry mat to have dry sleeping bags.

We do have the silk screened 1985 BYC Mac Race cooks smock. I dought any food was cooked after Cove on any boat that race.

Windy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DRIFTW00D said:

Yes Gods speed and good luck to the CYC 2018 Mac fleet.

I finished and survived 85. Saw the red eye of a sinking boats aerial flair. The dismasted CC 40 footer shooting down wind 10 feet to weather as they passes in the black with no running light to see or warning they were coming. The taped on foules. The rail ride being picked up off the deck with a stanton between my legs to keep me in place as we found another cresting wave to punch through in the black.. The QF Red wreck bouy of the Mordmeer to leeward just after we tacked north. 2 min. More goin west could have been a real problem.The apple that finished my fun sail. The Naval Commander who thought we needed to be on the rail, just after some one said it’s not to bad sitting in the back hiding from the green water coming back behind the cabin top.

Saw the retired fleet in Alpena. It rained inside the boat in a rain storm on the way back. Every deck fitting that could leaked. Drying out the boat after a Thunder Bay storm and the visit to the Alpena laundry mat to have dry sleeping bags.

We do have the silk screened 1985 BYC Mac Race cooks smock. I dought any food was cooked after Cove on any boat that race.

Windy

Yes!

This race is going to seperate the men from the boys!

TODAY  Variable winds 10 to 15 kt becoming north 15 to 25  kt...then increasing to 30 kt late this afternoon. Chance of  waterspouts. Occasional showers with isolated thunderstorms. Waves  3 to 5 ft building to 5 to 8 ft occasionally to 10 ft.  TONIGHT  North winds to 30 kt becoming northeast 15 to 25 kt.  Chance of waterspouts. Scattered showers. Waves 5 to 8 ft  occasionally to 10 ft.

Had a chance to go but, did not take it.

I hope that nobody gets hurt and and..

Sail Safe!

Looks like most of the cruising fleet is heading to the Michigan shore, with the winds going more NE. That will help a little to keep it of the washing machine of the confused seas.

Sail fast but more importantly sail safe.

2 hours ago, MikeR80 said:

This race is going to seperate the men from the boys!

And boat owners from their $$$$ replacing sails, masts, and other lost equipment.

I'm about 65 miles north of Chicago on the western shore of the lake.  As the crow flys I'm about 1/3 of a mile from the lake.  Can hear the surf building.  

22 hours ago, austin1972 said:

It actually is. Except the becalmed part when the black flies come in and eat you. That part is a horror movie.

My biggest memory of that race was being eaten alive by those bastards. 

1 hour ago, mad said:

My biggest memory of that race was being eaten alive by those bastards. 

It looks like you're waving at the Manitous but it's really a survival tactic to not get bled out by those vampires.

Ohhh, the cottage is reporting 7mph, rain and 98% humidity. Wind out of the NE at least so Arcadia and Point Betsie are doable. Enjoy those 60's temps. Looks like a bitchslap is coming in. Stay safe guys.

To everyone competing this weekend. Stay aboard, make decisions on what is good for the crew and not your ego. If you have an owner that is will to spend some $$$$ to get some heavier air bigger sea state experience this looks like an ideal time to get some if you have the proper boots/foulies/salos etc.

The only lightning thus far is NE of Houton Lake (Not close).

Good luck everyone.

2 hours ago, austin1972 said:

It looks like you're waving at the Manitous but it's really a survival tactic to not get bled out by those vampires.

Seem to remember we had fly swats sponsored by Harken and the guys having a competition. :P

Looks like a few of the TURBOS have all ready broken down.... 

Man overboard alert on TP52 "Imedi"

At approximately  3:00pm Saturday, the US Coast Guard (USCG)  alerted the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac Race Committee of a man overboard alert from Imedi, a Transpac 52 competing in the Turbo Section. USCG, Chicago Police Department, and Chicago Fire Department have deployed helicopters and other assets to assist in the search. Several nearby competitors suspended racing to also assist.

At the time of the alert, the sailboat’s location was approximately five nautical miles from the CYCRTM starting line, just off the Chicago Harbor breakwall.

We are actively monitoring the situation. Please tune in to cycracetomackinac.com and CYCRTM social media channels for future updates as they are available.

• Like 1

Not good, but at least it was light of day and in vicinity of Chicago. Hope that leads to a good outcome. YB shows 5 Turbos not racing currently.

Based on the tracker looks like Imedi has resumed racing - but Denali3 is heading back in?

• Like 1

Any updated details about Imedi?  Even though it looks as if they have resumed racing by the tracker.  Looks as if a number of boats are bugging out and going home.

Imedi only reporting 3 kts boatspeed makes me believe that she and the other boats in the vicinity are still running search patterns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dcbsheb said:

Imedi only reporting 3 kts boatspeed makes me believe that she and the other boats in the vicinity are still running search patterns.

Unfortunately i think you/re right...

• Like 1

Looks like Ocean, Arctos, and Merlin are all continuing a search pattern with Imedi.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeO said:

Looks like Ocean, Arctos, and Merlin are all continuing a search pattern with Imedi.

Fck Me!

At least 5, maybe 6, boats appear yo be doing a search pattern based on their speeds and zig zag courses. 

At 15:47 tracker shows Ocean and Denali3 about on top of one another, then Denali3 heading to shore.

Tracker has Imedi reversing course at 14:31  

Imedi MOB 1.JPG

USCG helicopter currently searching a grid pattern, CFD helo airborne shortly to relieve. Multiple motor vessels in the area as well.  From the CYCRTM FB page.

And Denali3 near Ocean at 15:47

Imedi MOB 2.JPG

Just now, Morgan Crewed said:

And Denali3 near Ocean at 15:47

Imedi MOB 2.JPG

One suspects they got into a tangle while executing the search and D3 suffered some damage (hopefully nothing more?) requiring them to head in.

Currently 22 boats out of the race and Imedi still near the MOB point with 3 or 4 other boats in the same general area.

• Like 1

I was wondering why some turbos were slow at first. Now it's a long time to be be in windy, cold, Lake Michigan...

4 minutes ago, DRIFTW00D said:

I was wondering why some turbos were slow at first. Now it's a long time to be be in windy, cold, Lake Michigan...

SSTs are really high, or at least they were as of a couple of days ago.

We are coming onto 3.5 hours.  Buoy 45007 say air temp is 70* and water temp is 72* with waves at 3.6 feet - winds 15.5 and gusting 17.5. 

Wilmette Buoy has 15.5 kts gusting to 21.4 kts and 5.9' waves.

9 minutes ago, fyschebone said:

Looks like Arma has just joined the search as well.  Ugh.

So is Alpha Puppy J35 and Nirvana Bene 10R

If you look at the section 8 boats still racing, it looks like FSM, the easternmost boat, has hit the point where the wind has clocked NNE.  Section 9 tracks seem to indicate the same.  

Caliente is in the vicinity too.  Big stable platform to assist.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Clean, is there any good news to report yet?  It’s been quite sometime for anyone to be in the water in these conditions.

One poster just now on the CYCRTM FB page stated that she is in contact with a couple of people on the race and he still has not been found.  Though tracker updates indicate this as well.

24 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

When they say surface, they mean it though. Ugh.

Posted (edited)

looks like the searching boats are headed back to the barn. I hope thats because of successful rescue, but I fear otherwise.

-edit- still searching

Edited by stinky
i was wrong

4 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Denali has withdrawn.

I Just read an update from Denali3 about helping with the search and they are tied up all on that boat are safe. Out of respect for Imedi and the situation, they wont be updating for a long while.

11 minutes ago, Gorn FRANTIC!! said:

Denali has withdrawn.

Denali is still racing.  Denali3 has retired

15 minutes ago, stinky said:

looks like the searching boats are headed back to the barn. I hope thats because of successful rescue, but I fear otherwise.

-edit- still searching

I think the search pattern is migrating SW, and rightly so, to account for drift.

• Like 1

Just spoke to Norm off D3.  They were on station a long time.  Nick hurt his finger on the spreader after being hoisted up for a better vantage point, and after being more or less released by the CG,  they decided to withdraw and get nick some medical attention.  Kudos to Bill McK and everyone else who helped or continued to help with the search.   

• Like 2

Looks like Caliente has broken off searching and resumed racing...Imedi, Merlin, Ocean, Alpha Puppy and Arctos continuing to search.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just spoke to Norm off D3.  They were on station a long time.  Nick hurt his finger on the spreader after being hoisted up for a better vantage point, and after being more or less sent home they decided to withdraw and get nick some medical attention.  Kudos to Bill McK and everyone else who has or continues to search.

Thanks for that, Alan!

14 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Just spoke to Norm off D3.  They were on station a long time.  Nick hurt his finger on the spreader after being hoisted up for a better vantage point, and after being more or less released by the CG,  they decided to withdraw and get nick some medical attention.  Kudos to Bill McK and everyone else who helped or continued to help with the search.   

Clean thanks for the update....

Thanks, Mr. Clean.

Prayers for the MOB, his/her family, the Imedi crew & family, and everyone else out there.

Godspeed, and may all of you be safe.

Any updates on MOB?

Pray for this crewman.

It has been 4:45 hours since the MOB and the sun sets in one hour.  

• Like 2

FB live update from 17 mins ago.  

There is a post on the cyc Facebook site about 5 people rescued from a boat that capsized. Two separate incidents.  One 40 miles off port Washington 

Looks like some of the boats are coming closer to shore, with a couple of them appearing to be docking.

Arctos and Ocean have given up searching, Merlin is heading in, Imedi and Alpha Puppy still our there. Darkness is falling here... my heart goes out to the Imedi crew...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Arctos and Ocean have given up searching, Merlin is heading in, Imedi and Alpha Puppy still our there. Darkness is falling here... my heart goes out to the Imedi crew...

Right on.

Infinite Diversion out?

Looks like they are parked in Frankfurt. 

8 minutes ago, onedesignracing said:

The tracker shows only one boat left searching for the MOB. The vessel from which he came. 

The coast guard may have released the others. In the darkness, 6' waves, and no infrared or night vision, they would have been of little help, and possibly been a hindrance or distraction to the professionals. 

Never ever did I ever think Merlin would be going in after 5 miles of racing. That's got to be a tough day for all crews involved.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MikeR80 said:

this sucks.  gutted.  hard to fathom.

This.  Pretty much sums up my feelings the past 6+ hrs.  Prayers for everyone affected by this tragic accident.

• Like 1

Imedi's tracker hasn't updated in an hour and a half. ??

I just wish those poor bastards would come in... I understand the drive to stay out and search for as long as it takes to find your lost crewman... but it's out of their hands now, and they must be hurting pretty bad.

Prayers to all who are affected. Including us. it could be any of us...........

I hope they find him before morning.

Fuck.

• Like 1

My understanding (from media reports) is that Fire and Police have suspended their small boats from the search due to darkness and sea conditions. CG is continuing to search by chopper.  IDK if larger responder boats are still searching, Media also reports that mob was wearing an auto-inflate vest that didn't inflate, and crew aboard boat threw over mob gear, and the person was last seen swimming towards it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell2 said:

There is a post on the cyc Facebook site about 5 people rescued from a boat that capsized. Two separate incidents.  One 40 miles off port Washington 

Believe you are looking at an old post from the 2017 race...

My grandson and I were watching the turbos start way out in the murk from the entrance at Belmont.  We were there when the MOB happened apparently.

Condolences all around for what happened today.

9 minutes ago, RKoch said:

Media also reports that mob was wearing an auto-inflate vest that didn't inflate, and crew aboard boat threw over mob gear, and the person was last seen swimming towards it. 

Fox News just said it was a manual pull inflate and it wasn't pulled. They saw him go under. They had just recently practiced MOB drills.

Oh boy.