Many of you (as I do) have to lash your shrouds in a 4 or 8:1 cascade to properly tension them for sailing and then have to detention for trailering.  I've been doing it "OK" for years using multiple half hitches, but the final knot most times takes a marlin spike (which I carry) to undo since it's been crushed.  Now, I see on the Colligo website that their lashings are somehow terminated (tied off) in the middle of the cascade instead of at the top or bottom--how do you do that?  Someone have a video to enlighten me?  I'd appreciate the help since this new boat requires it done each time and past boats didn't need it done very often.

AND, while the Colligo stuff is pretty, it is also pricey so if your load on each strand of lashing is less than 1K pounds, you might consider Ronstan XL shocks (sheaveless blocks)--all they do is organize the lashings so there aren't overlaps which cause issues with tensioning and loosening. 

Thanks.  My tiny lashing lines might still not slip...the key seems to be the 1/3 up from the bottom so the first couple pass throughs don't slide down.  Not sure how to keep tension while passing tiny lines under themselves, but I'll give it a go.  Thanks again.  Just what I was looking for. 

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

New and Improved Lashing Instructions!

Nice one Ras, that's gone into the rigging & rope folder!

There was another lashing method I've seen done that involves half hitches but it goes through the middle of the cascade (between the strands) and it means that the lashing can't slowly rotate around the cascade and loosen. I'll see if I can find it.

For passing under the load line, a small piece of extra line temporarily tied in a loop gives you something to pull when passing your line through.  Easy trick for any lashing without an easy finish point.

1 hour ago, knobblyoldjimbo said:

Why don't you use hifield levers?

weight

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

Why not this?

Weight

On 6/27/2018 at 11:45 PM, mookiesurfs said:

That Colligo link is so cool; lashings are no longer a mystery. 

simple rolling hitch.. and also relies on the expanding shape of the purchases.

Neat, but hardly rocket surgery.

2 hours ago, duncan (the other one) said:

simple rolling hitch.. and also relies on the expanding shape of the purchases.

Neat, but hardly rocket surgery.

True enough, but even though I've been sailing for 20+ years, I mostly rely on bowlines and half hitches, figure 8s and stoppers.  They all work and even half hitches for the lashing worked (kept my rig from falling down).  The Colligo lashing (and a rolling hitch) would be easier to untie though.  Recently I learned alpine butterfly which is cool to use if you need a loop and don't have the ends and a very similar knot to join two lines that is more secure than square or physicians knots. 

I wouldn't trust the bitter end of my Colligo lashings to anything other than a Camel Hitch...

Camel spit and snot is slippery stuff!