llanitojacks

PC/Mac integration with B&G H5000

Good morning sailing world,

I'm looking to see if anyone has successfully integrated any IOS/PC based system with a B&G H5000 system to be able to create courses and edit waypoints then transfer them onto chart plotter?

I remember Raymarine having a very basic setup a few years back and i'm wondering if anyone has found any third party software that can integrate with B&G.

Hope everyone is having a great week and fair winds!

Cheers

Ben

I'm not certain your question makes sense because I don't believe the H5000 stores waypoints or routes or generates any waypoint-related steering information. Instead, you need to add a chart plotter like a Zeus or Vulcan to the H5000 to get those capabilities and then your question becomes whether anyone has integrated a PC, Mac or iOS device with the chart plotter.

If that's your question, the Expedition certainly can exchange waypoints and routes with those (and many other) chart plotters and stand alone GPS.

On 6/28/2018 at 2:54 AM, llanitojacks said:

I'm looking to see if anyone has successfully integrated any IOS/PC based system with a B&G H5000 system to be able to create courses and edit waypoints then transfer them onto chart plotter?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:13 AM, Moonduster said:

I'm not certain your question makes sense because I don't believe the H5000 stores waypoints or routes or generates any waypoint-related steering information. Instead, you need to add a chart plotter like a Zeus or Vulcan to the H5000 to get those capabilities and then your question becomes whether anyone has integrated a PC, Mac or iOS device with the chart plotter.

If that's your question, the Expedition certainly can exchange waypoints and routes with those (and many other) chart plotters and stand alone GPS.

As Moonduster notes the H5000 CPU & Pilot does not deal with "courses" though it will accept a waypoint and calculate the distance, time and heading towards it, and the sailsteer display will show laylines etc as well as calculate the VMC. 

As such, you would send the NMEA2k string for the latitude/longitude of the waypoint from your PC/Mac. Expedition is one excellent way to do that, though its price reflects its features. 

If you want to edit a course  ( a series of waypoints) on a PC and load to your chart plotter, just about anything that can handle GPX or a csv format will do that, 

you can use network or thumb drive/SD card to move them back and forth. 

The connected chart plotter would then send the sequential waypoints from the course to the H5000 CPU/Pilot 

How to send a course/route to zeus or vulcan from expedition.  Connected to H5000 via webserver socket? My V7 by the helm would be the best destination.

Quick tutorial would be nice so I can play around with it tomorrow...

I use Expedition connected via ethernet via H-link to a H3000 processor. When a waypoint is set in Expedition, the waypoint information ie distance to WPT, Baaring to WPT etc is available on the FFD in the cockpit. This works well as Expedition is one of the most easily set up chart package for setting up courses as mentioned in a post above is well worth the money spend  on the software. It works well with C-Map charts, AIS, weather grib files.

16 hours ago, Itsabimmerthing said:

How to send a course/route to zeus or vulcan from expedition.  Connected to H5000 via webserver socket? My V7 by the helm would be the best destination.

Quick tutorial would be nice so I can play around with it tomorrow...

Exp will send each current waypoint in sequence, but not the Course/Route in total unless you export it (e.g.to GPX) and then move it by "sneaker net" using SD card or via websocket to Zeus. Simple enough to setup the various known possible courses and copy them over to your Plotter at the dock. 

Routes can be sent, but I believe an Actisense USB-to-NMEA2000 dongle is required. Ask Nick, it's silly to waste time here on this stuff.

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the replies. I should've been clearer to start out with when I say H5000 system I mean I have  Zeus3 Chartplotters in the system which I would like to send the routes to. In our system we have two Zeus3 on deck and one at the nav station. At the navstation I also have an iMac which I use for communication, accounts etc. I would like to be able to create routes on the computer and send it to my chart plotter using IOS but the reality is I think i'll have to use a virtual machine on the iMac and run windows. Has anyone got any experience using this setup or something similar?

Thank you again for all your replies they are truely appriciated.

Cheers

Ben

16 hours ago, Moonduster said:

Routes can be sent, but I believe an Actisense USB-to-NMEA2000 dongle is required. Ask Nick, it's silly to waste time here on this stuff.

Expedition support from Nick is first class. Just don't want to bother Nick with minor stuff of a lesser importance (to me)