Mike Hunt

Favourite Boat pic?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, RIGO said:

Classic leeward helming pose, Roeland - now all you need is the pipe and white peaked yachting cap...

Haha, knew someone was going to comment.  Just not you though :P.  Pic was taken off a fast approaching quay side so had to look where I was going. .......  Uhm ... that cap suits you waaaay better on Infanta.

@S4B : That's a Falmouth Sunbeam one design. Long keeled (vintage) day boat https://www.stmawessailing.co.uk/sailing/fleets/sunbeams.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My current favorite. 6 guys having a great time in ideal conditions on this year’s NYYC Around-the-Island Race. Boat is an Olson 30.

77C5D203-082C-42B0-A7A8-EA4801E2212D.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/1/2018 at 2:18 AM, DA-WOODY said:

Image result for hot rod flyin hawaiian

When my shirts get like that I have a very hard time keeping from fidgeting wth the holes and making the m bigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I posted mine here once before. But it must have been a previous thread on this topic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, INTER 20 said:

580332503_fast1052.thumb.jpg.25b9bb13f786d7b082fd6e015bc586b3.jpg

Just to put this in historical perspective: this was literally what we *dreamed* of doing as kids. Photos of IOR boats pretending to do this stirred this emotion in us. To the point of actually having a discussion on the dock one windless day as 12 year olds, designing the "planing keelboat."  Haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ajbram said:

I think we like to call that phenomenon "The Vortex of Fuck."

 

I think that is simply called the Bay of Biscay...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

someone took and sent me this one from yesterday (4th O JULY) on Mission Bay B)

rotating stick hadn't rotated yet 1st time out w New Stick so bugs to work out

then New Flag :rolleyes:

Image may contain: ocean, sky and outdoor

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feb 2018. My most recent photo.

 

21451-M-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DA-WOODY said:

someone took and sent me this one from yesterday (4th O JULY) on Mission Bay B)

rotating stick hadn't rotated yet 1st time out w New Stick so bugs to work out

then New Flag :rolleyes:

Image may contain: ocean, sky and outdoor

Ah...that's what you were up to on Wastebook Bud! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still one of my long-time great shots by a friend Sean Trew. His light an mood second to none. Early morning shot going through Race Passage at Swiftsure one year: ILC 40 "Occam's Razor" ex- Beau Geste. Likely I was at the nav station when that was taken. Pretty busy time going through the Race.

OCCMSSWTSMRN MED (800x533).jpg

  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I'm not too shabby myself that I don't have a program for now.

106 (800x523).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fastyacht said:

Just to put this in historical perspective: this was literally what we *dreamed* of doing as kids. Photos of IOR boats pretending to do this stirred this emotion in us. To the point of actually having a discussion on the dock one windless day as 12 year olds, designing the "planing keelboat."  Haha.

That’s what we did too here at the Jersey Shore. It’s amazing to just look at hull design advance over the past 30 years. Looking at my Fareast28R  today and thinking “ I would have never thought that up at all!”

I wouldn’t have been a good Naval Architect and no one would have known!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, bigrpowr said:

yeah she was heavy, built for IMS  , my dad had to build a fast boat , yet comfy enough for weekend trips to local islands . it had every ammenity available at the time . i think the fastest we ever went was on this race and it was 22-24 knots with full main and #3 broad reaching in the overnight offshore from baja. doesnt sound fast by todays standards, but that pig at that speed felt damn near out of control !

We have discussed Aldora before as I raced her as "Delicate Balance" in Seattle. Three full staterooms; no waiting! Two heads I think, a full on galley and salon table for 10. Outstanding boat but a little sticky in light air in our region. Big volume boat but when you got over 10 or 12 WS it became the Energizer Bunny of boats. Just kept going, going, going.........then slowly mow down the competition! Never saw it in the 20's but in teens a lot.  

 458057890_CopyofDB4CB.thumb.jpg.cbe42fcdecc783b277b0a90a907bdcc8.jpg 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this thread!  Have to include my 5 knt SB to keep the karma going.

3-25-18.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

And I got a cover for this this:

Feb15PY.cover.png

There is a great illustration of the difference between stiff & tender.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic pic.  Again, not my boat, but I did 3 seasons on it on SF Bay.  Jeanneau SunFast 3200 Dare Dare - just loved the breeze.  Here we are charging back from the Lightship Race under the Golden Gate, doing about 13 knots.  Me on the kite sheet, owners Jacques driving and Nico grinding.

Dare_Dare_GGB.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DA-WOODY said:

someone took and sent me this one from yesterday (4th O JULY) on Mission Bay B)

rotating stick hadn't rotated yet 1st time out w New Stick so bugs to work out

then New Flag :rolleyes:

Image may contain: ocean, sky and outdoor

~~~~~ Community Coon Swimming Lessons~~~~~

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite pic this week!

The original S&S design 2098 - C1 (in triple planked Oregon)

IMG_0715 (002).jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

There is a great illustration of the difference between stiff & tender.

agreed. what is that animal thats on its ear ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

We have discussed Aldora before as I raced her as "Delicate Balance" in Seattle. Three full staterooms; no waiting! Two heads I think, a full on galley and salon table for 10. Outstanding boat but a little sticky in light air in our region. Big volume boat but when you got over 10 or 12 WS it became the Energizer Bunny of boats. Just kept going, going, going.........then slowly mow down the competition! Never saw it in the 20's but in teens a lot.  

 458057890_CopyofDB4CB.thumb.jpg.cbe42fcdecc783b277b0a90a907bdcc8.jpg 

yep on the sticky part, her berth at cal yacht club was short lived , needed to be in long beach. total game changer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do almost all the American pics show sailboats in fuck all air.

Thought I would balance it up. 

All credit to Richard Bennett (and you can buy the pics on his website)

CHUTZPAH_384_SH04.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, lydia said:

Why do almost all the American pics show sailboats in fuck all air.

Thought I would balance it up. 

All credit to Richard Bennett (and you can buy the pics on his website)

CHUTZPAH_384_SH04.jpg

sorry we dont all live in the southern ocean ! looks much more pleasant than socal !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some of my favourite shots of some of my boats. The keelboat is the latest one, the wifes family cruiser.

630_42184040387_3569_n.jpg

1799943_10151953921560388_5112942389685327463_o.jpg

23722631_10154773375475388_2153877166315537804_n.jpg

23754959_10154773375530388_686566112372200097_n.jpg

28514352_10155000907900388_4181969303173421964_o.jpg

30784898_10156313220087463_521996989_n.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My old Jeanneau taken by Sportscar at the start of a pursuit race in Melbourne

tumblr_p3f6mppVvW1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

 

In Corfu

E30Q9342.thumb.jpg.3b154d3aecefa142a73b15f732e511f2.jpg

and before I bought a yacht, I had a SeaRay stink boat in Sweden

IMG_9536.thumb.jpg.12d6a47cd367b77bbb8778ece747fad4.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, lydia said:

1/2 ton heaven!

2713_0011.jpg

Woodyard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, hoppy said:

My old Jeanneau taken by Sportscar at the start of a pursuit race in Melbourne

tumblr_p3f6mppVvW1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

 

In Corfu

E30Q9342.thumb.jpg.3b154d3aecefa142a73b15f732e511f2.jpg

and before I bought a yacht, I had a SeaRay stink boat in Sweden

IMG_9536.thumb.jpg.12d6a47cd367b77bbb8778ece747fad4.jpg

Did you do a lot of "motorboating"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ALL@SEA said:

Woodyard!

Yep, Coffs race in the mid 90s.

Would have been great blow home if the race started a day earlier.

Pic is on the first afternoon 

Parked at Smokey Cape on the second afternoon and never really got past it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So old that my favourites are still on film!

But here's a good one of about the most comfy way to get to Hobart in a breeze.  She is an X 50 and a large part of the crew have been together for 10 years or more, in one case it's closer to 35 years.

Done the big fast boat thing,  now it's just a bunch of old blokes and ladies having some fun!

IMG_6302.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now there is more of the reality than all those pretty pics. :lol:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joy of off shore sailing with no/ little wind.

Cousin John (765x1024).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, solosailor said:

OutsiderDDR09.jpg

SHF08-Azzura.jpg

azzura08SHFarallones.JPG

That looks lively, and a lot of fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Maxx Baqustae said:

Still one of my long-time great shots by a friend Sean Trew. His light an mood second to none. Early morning shot going through Race Passage at Swiftsure one year: ILC 40 "Occam's Razor" ex- Beau Geste. Likely I was at the nav station when that was taken. Pretty busy time going through the Race.

Sean Trew is my favorite photographer as well. My fave is this one he took of Artemis (Andrews 53) at Round the County. 

 

IMG_31645709890341.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2018 at 6:10 PM, bridhb said:

I like this thread!  Have to include my 5 knt SB to keep the karma going.

3-25-18.jpg

 

No offense, but why is the main reefed? Hardly looks to be overpowered?  No whitecaps.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soto 30 action on Port Phillip Bay Melbourne Aus.

SAM_2467.thumb.jpg.e46bb9b84480846e04c2cd0ec0fdeb72.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, billy backstay said:

 

No offense, but why is the main reefed? Hardly looks to be overpowered?  No whitecaps.........

No offense taken.  If I remember correctly, it was a bit gusty that day, we had just cracked off on a reach from a  beat and my "crew" were two people that had never been on a sail boat before, and I was hoping I could get them back again.  They both did great at the helm about the entire time we were out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, bridhb said:

No offense taken.  If I remember correctly, it was a bit gusty that day, we had just cracked off on a reach from a  beat and my "crew" were two people that had never been on a sail boat before, and I was hoping I could get them back again.  They both did great at the helm about the entire time we were out.

 

Makes sense, thanks for 'splaining it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 11:17 AM, INTER 20 said:

580332503_fast1052.thumb.jpg.25b9bb13f786d7b082fd6e015bc586b3.jpg

Photo taken by Sharon Green on a very windy race in Santa Barbara several years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/3/2018 at 7:44 PM, Meat Wad said:

orma60_fuji.jpg.6b8a86cc16d0294856469fa5ea351d32.jpg

On 7/4/2018 at 1:33 AM, Omer said:

I never forgot this shot. What was it called? Devils Hole? Are there any other shots of this phenamenon?

Imagine driving off the ledge at night when you cannot see it.

So fucking scary, it's like a rogue wave off the wind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 3:55 PM, hoppy said:

My old Jeanneau taken by Sportscar at the start of a pursuit race in Melbourne

tumblr_p3f6mppVvW1qfrdcro5_1280.jpg

 

In Corfu

E30Q9342.thumb.jpg.3b154d3aecefa142a73b15f732e511f2.jpg

and before I bought a yacht, I had a SeaRay stink boat in Sweden

IMG_9536.thumb.jpg.12d6a47cd367b77bbb8778ece747fad4.jpg

So Hoppy, please explain why the model's shadow is behind her when the sun is also behind her? Fake News?

I noted that her headlights are on high-beam, (.) (.), maybe that has something to do with it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15288466_195259320935112_5174216117163961796_o.thumb.jpg.da1fe2684aa37f8b32d05184e02cf4cc.jpg

Double D getting some air in Johnstone Strait during R2AK 2016 - taken by Tavish Campbell from onboard Team Fly

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, SPORTSCAR said:

So Hoppy, please explain why the model's shadow is behind her when the sun is also behind her? Fake News?

I noted that her headlights are on high-beam, (.) (.), maybe that has something to do with it ?

You were clearly studying my old boat very closely. What do you think it would be worth on the market here? ;)

I had a very powerful portable studio light on the shore lighting the boat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 9:52 AM, hoppy said:

You were clearly studying my old boat very closely. What do you think it would be worth on the market here? ;)

I had a very powerful portable studio light on the shore lighting the boat.

Boat?  What boat? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/6/2018 at 8:18 AM, lydia said:

Why do almost all the American pics show sailboats in fuck all air.

Thought I would balance it up. 

All credit to Richard Bennett (and you can buy the pics on his website)

CHUTZPAH_384_SH04.jpg

and another one.

Wild Thing - 1990  Melbourne - Hobart.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J/105 Table Bay, Cape Town, South Africa. IRC nationals 2014 during the previous Volvo stopover. 

4C9C86A8-DD72-4CF2-B1BB-B74D4B620543.thumb.jpeg.a7297b960fedc7136af771da8efc80dc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 4:39 AM, SPORTSCAR said:

Boat?  What boat? 

+1

 

 

--shopped the boat in did ya....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 5:53 PM, SPORTSCAR said:

So Hoppy, please explain why the model's shadow is behind her when the sun is also behind her? Fake News?

I noted that her headlights are on high-beam, (.) (.), maybe that has something to do with it ?

Maybe that has something to do with it being The Land of the Midnight Sun?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't own FRED when this was taken but it's the best pic of a boat I owned for 9 years. It was good enough to be a magazine cover as well as rate a full page pic in a hardbound history of the Swiftsure.

 

Fred Again.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boat, the Boatpix helicopter just happened to be shooting as we got launched off a big wave on a choppy day at KWRW 2017.  

launched_small.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Imp.jpg

Nice Flyer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These we're taken of us by Sean Trew during the 2013 Winter Vashon Race.

FB_IMG_1523630220462.jpg

FB_IMG_1481393473289.jpg

FB_IMG_1481394051156.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/4/2018 at 6:33 PM, SloopJonB said:

No-one knows where the original is - Lee has had a bounty on it for decades.

As much as we would all love to see the original, I doubt it's much clearer. It's a night shot and it's going to be grainy -- nature of the beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Untitled.thumb.jpg.a85c0645a3c2582a19a318204b8a2d53.jpg

Timothy lake, Mt. Hood, OR.  V15 with masthead chute matching wind speed (fractional spinnakers make me sad).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked this pic I snapped of Comanche at the Sydney to Hobart start last year.

IMG_8124~01.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Multihauler said:

Another nice shot of the old girl.....

img9205c.jpg

-MH

 

How do you get headstay tension with that arcing backstay?  I don't see runners, but they must be there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, INTER 20 said:

This was one of the best days of sailing I've ever had. 

YOWZA! I've been water-skiing slower than that.

I can remember when Bill Lee was just about the only person who had sailed a keelboat that fast. Now you can just buy one.

The aquatic version of that insane Dodge Demon - wheelstands and 9 sec. 1/4 miles off the showroom floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billy backstay said:

How do you get headstay tension with that arcing backstay?  I don't see runners, but they must be there?

You're looking at the topping lift!
There is no backstay but the side stays on the F27 have tensionners to help set forestay tension.

On more modern models (and the ones with rotation masts), the mainsheet is what provides the forestay tension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Airwick!  I knew there was something there that I did not understand..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are my current favorite sailing photos.  The skipper is my ten-year-old daughter at sailing camp.

 

38511972_2046066528758083_8630174896510468096_n.jpg

38257364_2046066602091409_4416396136105902080_n.jpg

38481244_2046066668758069_8079792476958752768_n.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

currently my favorite shot of my Alden Boothbay Challenger. 

37424297_1421394001294168_5319709087955419136_o.thumb.jpg.7f3ae6adaf0b447caeeea7d422573289.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, frozenhawaiian said:

currently my favorite shot of my Alden Boothbay Challenger. 

37424297_1421394001294168_5319709087955419136_o.thumb.jpg.7f3ae6adaf0b447caeeea7d422573289.jpg

looks comfy !!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites