Mike Hunt

Favourite Boat pic?

5 hours ago, OSPREY said:

This. Is my boat

Great illustration of hull speed.

Not my boat, but certainly one of my favorite photos. J105 NAs last year in Texas. 

22814184_10214273168248787_7334691160289794735_n.jpg

Sailing gloves, huh?

no tits?

Better get on over  to Selling Scout Sailing Gloves Thread...:rolleyes:

Actually my second favorite pic.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of my favorite pic saved digitally.  It is framed and on a living room shelf.

Wetafleet31.jpeg

5 minutes ago, unShirley said:

Actually my second favorite pic.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of my favorite pic saved digitally.  It is framed and on a living room shelf.

Wetafleet31.jpeg

The nose guard does match the avatar correctly. 

Well done! I won’t ask about the lack of boom or full batten...

"Well done!  I won't ask about the lack of boom or full batten..."

It is a stock Weta #147

2 hours ago, Devoforedeckus said:

Equation.jpg

Nice....but these moments are scary to me....broach a -waiting in humongous boat....yes, i 'm a wimp!

11 hours ago, unShirley said:

my favorite pic:

20180817_170456.jpeg

That’s a cool ride!

My boat also has no boom, but it’s an 11’ sprit rig wooden clinker hull and possibly slower.

9 hours ago, Devoforedeckus said:

Equation.jpg

That's Stormvogel isn't it?

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 11:47 PM, OSPREY said:

This. Is my boat

Sweet!

course-au-large-imoca-route-du-rhum-2014-macif-francois-gabart-plan-vplp-verdier-vincent-curutchet-dark-frame-4564687.thumb.jpg.7e3cb9b20f6e7d45c9107f89a67e7e72.jpgINTERIOR.thumb.jpg.02a865aada401bc678da795172edcf79.jpg

the interior is Comanche, almost seems a little extraterrestrial.

SMA.jpg

22 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

INTERIOR.thumb.jpg.02a865aada401bc678da795172edcf79.jpg

Darth Vader's yacht.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 3to1 said:

INTERIOR.thumb.jpg.02a865aada401bc678da795172edcf79.jpg

"Aliens", specifically.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 10:35 AM, Frank White said:

Our boat during a recent beer can race. 

E343192E-F8E8-4476-8AB4-C59746435584.jpeg

Nice to see someone else beer canning a proper boat...

DSC_6423 with © smaller.jpg

On 8/17/2018 at 3:21 PM, ULDB70 said:

44FCB482-C5AB-402A-A974-96C45E2D6C34.jpeg

8E847CDF-E13A-410A-8BF9-F9D608CAFBB4.jpeg

Very cool!

My Platu 25 in Pattaya, Thailand.  1 American, 2 Brits, a Dane and a South African.   Photo credit to Guy Nowell, he does an amazing job at TOTG every year!

31958427_10105137215046751_1259369172366786560_n.jpg

40 minutes ago, nlmasopust said:

My Platu 25 in Pattaya, Thailand.  1 American, 2 Brits, a Dane and a South African.   Photo credit to Guy Nowell, he does an amazing job at TOTG every year!

31958427_10105137215046751_1259369172366786560_n.jpg

Very cool!   Though the lifelines look a "little" slack.

• Like 1

Those aren't lifelines, they're handles.

• Like 1

Farr 400 project, looks - and sails- better with the new front end and fixed prod

fullsizeoutput_b92.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b93.jpeg

IMG_0335.JPG

4 hours ago, Ajax said:

Very cool!

Was just talking to my dad about the T10 fleet back there.  How many boats do you guys get out on a regular basis?  LS10's faster?  What's the min $$ to get in with a semi competitive boat?  If I did move back, I would love to bring a shitty boat up to the front of the pack over a couple years..  

21 hours ago, IStream said:

"Aliens", specifically.

hero_EB20031026REVIEWS08310260301AR.jpg

Damn it!   We are going to have to get a new navigator, again....

- Stumbling

11 hours ago, ropetrick said:

LOL yep they're slack alright.  This class didn't even have lifelines before, just some stainless rails to hike off of.  When Beneteau bought the rights, they modified to 'lifelines'.  Getting four big crew between the stanchions is difficult without decent slack.

Cockpit sole has foot straps for driver and main trimmer.  Not really allowed to 'dinghy' hike, but here we do sometimes.  Super narrow water line so the boat responds to every gram you can get out there :)

10 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Farr 400 project, looks - and sails- better with the new front end and fixed prod

fullsizeoutput_b92.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_b93.jpeg

IMG_0335.JPG

Gretchen's photos from Ugotta in Harbor Springs for the first 2?  Boat looks great!

thanks Geff and YES Gretchen took those, I failed to mention it here but look forward to redecorating the house in HS when I buy some of those from her :) 

My favorite at the moment, taken during our last sailing trip.

944EEFAB-82FF-454E-B009-94E8F7FE08C9.jpeg

• Like 2

21 hours ago, shaggy said:

Was just talking to my dad about the T10 fleet back there.  How many boats do you guys get out on a regular basis?  LS10's faster?  What's the min $$ to get in with a semi competitive boat?  If I did move back, I would love to bring a shitty boat up to the front of the pack over a couple years..  

On major races (2-3)/year we get 25 boats. Normal weekend races we get 12-15 boats. Distance races you get 20-25 boats. You can find a need help boat for $5,000 and a ready boat for $12,000 to $20,000. LS10’s are $45-55,000 and worth it. Crews and sails win races. Boats that did poorly are sold and become national champs with different crews and newer sails. Go to T Ten web site for boats for sail.

2 hours ago, ULDB70 said:

On major races (2-3)/year we get 25 boats. Normal weekend races we get 12-15 boats. Distance races you get 20-25 boats. You can find a need help boat for $5,000 and a ready boat for $12,000 to $20,000. LS10’s are $45-55,000 and worth it. Crews and sails win races. Boats that did poorly are sold and become national champs with different crews and newer sails. Go to T Ten web site for boats for sail.

Ha, that's basically what i told him...  Thanks much...  

clip_image003_0001.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, 1sailor said:

thanks Geff and YES Gretchen took those, I failed to mention it here but look forward to redecorating the house in HS when I buy some of those from her :) 

Awesome!  I figured those were hers.  I know she'll appreciate it A LOT!

This is my favorite pic of my current boat when I loaned it to a friend to sail in the Austrian Nationals,

lisa.thumb.jpg.f7f14d536f7855366cb796305fbb4a5b.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tornado_ALIVE said:

Tornado

D225739C-3BEB-48BD-A4B0-4D2873ABE40A.jpeg

Damn, that looks terrifying. :)

Last week on Arrow lake, 3 forest fires burning along the ridges with flames easily visible at night. The smoke is much worse now can't even see across the lake. We hooked up to a mooring for the night went for a swim then went ashore just as we got off the dingy this helo took one bucket of water 100 m from our boat.

IMG_20180815_185506_240 (1024x1024).jpg

Sailings future stars

Horning Sailing Club Regatta Week - photo © Holly Hancock
With us older grumpier ones in the back ground... (picture courtesy Holly Hancock)

27 minutes ago, captnjoe said:

270999526_CoverPhoto.thumb.jpg.c79364c4fb89938f020a6c14ee5b289c.jpg

Mostly because I'm sailing solo.

Nice shot, Joe! I’ll have to get a few of you next time you’re out, that angle doesn’t show off that beautiful blue J hull!!!

• Like 1

Yeah, but the reflection off the spin is great. Mine's the same color and I couldn't decide at first whether I loved it or hated it. Now I love it.

Blackfin, Grenada. I was Sailing Master.

Also, in that epic and classic shot of Equation above, Blackfin was the boat in the distance above and behind with the big red radial head by Hard Sails ("Sail with a Hard on"), and a spinnaker staysl with red and blue stripes.

IMG_4431.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my Santa Cruz 27: I picked it up new from the Chicken Coop, and owned it until I moved to Europe ten years later. Way too many good times on this boat!

This boat has been restored as Gotcha, and won two Nationals.

IMG_4436.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

• Like 1

Mistake in a nice NE

DSC_1705a-LowRes-2.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/22/2018 at 5:10 PM, GER308 said:

This is my favorite pic of my current boat when I loaned it to a friend to sail in the Austrian Nationals,

Now that’s impressive!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 3:10 AM, GER308 said:

How'd she do?  Being in the Nationals seems like a big deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ajax said:

How'd she do?  Being in the Nationals seems like a big deal.

She was sort of back of the middle but she had a couple of good races, was the 2016 Austrian Nationals. She is a super nice young girl.
Her BF sails a Finn, she mostly sails Lasers but and she had borrowed one of our club boats for a Regatta or two so we ended up giving her a boat that no one was using.
Just borrowed her old Taylor Finn for a Regatta at their club on the Mosel River at Koblenz. Not a great place for sailing usually but it was a nice motorcycle ride up the Rhein and back.

• Like 2

Lost my jump drive with all my good pics.  here is one at this years Leukemia Regatta in VA.

2018 Leukemia.jpg

some new ones (Bresken sailing weekend/ one ton revival 2018):

Knipsel.JPG

Knipsel2.JPG

Knipsel3.JPG

Knipsel4.JPG

Knipsel5.JPG

Knipsel6.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 10:54 PM, commotion said:

S2 7.9 after a Wednesday night race. West end of Lake Erie.

1277844_10151895199796449_2131249456_o.jpg

Come race with us at CCR!

I would love to but have a serious shortage of crew and a dog who has recently undergone surgery so needs care.  Perhaps next year. We sail out of Cedar Island Yacht Club on the north shore about 20 miles from you folks. Hope you have a great regatta and can keep it growing.  Good luck !!

On 8/23/2018 at 6:13 PM, carcrash said:

Blackfin, Grenada. I was Sailing Master.

Also, in that epic and classic shot of Equation above, Blackfin was the boat in the distance above and behind with the big red radial head by Hard Sails ("Sail with a Hard on"), and a spinnaker staysl with red and blue stripes.

IMG_4431.jpg

Oh, by golly I remember that.  Round Grenada Race, January 1977.  

We actually managed to beat you on the water with the Ron Holland half-tonner Scarlet Shamrock. 

We'd just sailed down from Antigua, me, Tony Maidment and his tiny Asian wife Cindy, and dropped anchor at night outside St Georges, intending to pick up three race crew in the morning.  Horribly overslept, woken by the ten minute gun.  Nothing to do except just race as we were.  Loads of fun.  Gybing on the bow with strings between teeth and under foot.  

Good party after.

Hot Foot 20 Glenmore Reservoir Oct Racing

Racing in a snow storm.jpg

• Like 5

My current ride in the winter, the one with the big bird.

See the source image

and just for something different, a video of the class nationals in 2013, it blew 40knots during some of the races, we finished second in one race with 3 inches of water over the floorboards.   (I was in Y 210 for this one..)

This is definitely my favorite.  My first singlehanded race.  Ripping across the Straits of Georgia in a nice northerly.  

540501796_Shearwater_BowUp.jpg.9e8e92c1663494121f005e1f99b6cde1.jpg

• Like 3

1471748241_MakaliI3edit.thumb.jpg.c59645e08412ecc46818be4f66c6f94e.jpg930723538_MakaliI1edit.thumb.jpg.d5ddfa68c95a799d2bfc45fd0932c9c1.jpg   

My friend Pat and I taking his Valiant 42 "Makali'I" on the maiden (to him) voyage about 18 months ago. Lummi Island in the background. Pat has since singlehanded Makali'I from Anacortes to Brisbane via Ecuador, Marquesas and Pago Pago. Last I heard he was bringing her back toward the PNW, though I haven't heard from him since he left Manly Harbour in early July. 

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:12 PM, ropetrick said:

A protest waiting to happen perhaps

His & Hers Quarter Tonners. Thomas and Dubois designs. The wife's boat to the left

DSC08967.JPG

On 9/2/2018 at 3:49 AM, shanghaisailor said:

His & Hers Quarter Tonners. Thomas and Dubois designs. The wife's boat to the left

DSC08967.JPG

To port.

Come on, this is a Sailing site!;)

On 8/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, P_Wop said:

Oh, by golly I remember that.  Round Grenada Race, January 1977.  

We actually managed to beat you on the water with the Ron Holland half-tonner Scarlet Shamrock. 

We'd just sailed down from Antigua, me, Tony Maidment and his tiny Asian wife Cindy, and dropped anchor at night outside St Georges, intending to pick up three race crew in the morning.  Horribly overslept, woken by the ten minute gun.  Nothing to do except just race as we were.  Loads of fun.  Gybing on the bow with strings between teeth and under foot.  

Good party after.

I kinda remember you three! That is the reason I’ve been lusting after a very similar red Holland half-tonner being kept in very good condition in Alamitos Bay.

Before the race, I tipped off several Grenadians that we would beat the local favorite Gitana IV. Several bet on us instead of G4 and won a ton of money. I had free taxis and rum for quite awhile after that.

I have the article from the St George’s paper. Skip and I won life memberships to GYC for winning and setting the record.

Those parties were epic that winter.

• Like 1