Mike Hunt

Favourite Boat pic?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, shanghaisailor said:

See ya on the water

SS

In that smog? Probably not!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sail4beer said:

Ouch!

I am corrected again!! 

Ha, not corrected, I'm just trying to out pedant a pedant;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Photo of Lively Schooner - Newport Beach, CA, United States. Under full sail in the ocean!

"Lively'.   1976 Wardell Boat Works of Costa Mesa, CA custom schooner.  Hale Field design.  Aptly named - quick, well-sailed & easy on the eyes.

 Doing tours around Newport Harbor these days. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dan (my son), Sean and me last Wednesday.  Taken by our buddy Tim from the boat he was on.

A5891ECB-32E6-43FF-B694-8B82B6FA0C8D.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, IStream said:

In that smog? Probably not!

You obviously missed Meteorology 101 :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2018 at 1:03 PM, arcpix said:

Dan (my son), Sean and me last Wednesday.  Taken by our buddy Tim from the boat he was on.

A5891ECB-32E6-43FF-B694-8B82B6FA0C8D.jpeg

nice boat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, yoda said:

My favorite Da-Woody image

caper hot rum 05 HA.jpg

 

 

That's one BIG-ASS ASSYM!!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 2:23 PM, ChiGuy said:

nice boat

 

Thanks. It’s our favorite toy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

IMG_0134.JPG

That spinnaker is definitely not pink....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

IMG_0134.JPG

I love it. Probably because I have a similar chute:

chute.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, HotSnail said:

That spinnaker is definitely not pink....

IMG_9803.JPG.55c91e0c742874d30cb547d632e31fc8.JPG

This better for ya? Big pink at 19 kts offshore in Maine.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Ajax said:

I love it. Probably because I have a similar chute:

chute.jpg

IMG_9859.JPG.379d02425a6e6bb5564ba1b7cce3db37.JPG

That’s a nice chute, I have another one like it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PinkSpinnaker Looking at yours and that S2, I think mine has narrow shoulders that is robbing me of power in lighter breezes. I should try to find a fuller chute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

IMG_9803.JPG.55c91e0c742874d30cb547d632e31fc8.JPG

This better for ya? Big pink at 19 kts offshore in Maine.

IOR boat in mid-broach?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DAACLOGO.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 1:28 PM, PinkSpinnaker said:

IMG_0134.JPG

Eric was someone I met 15 yrs after he designed the 9.1.  A greater guy has never lived.  The kind of person who entered a room with a smile and made the energy of the room increase.  We are worse for his leaving us way too soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This one is another favourite. The boats in the background are some of the rest of our fleet.PastedGraphic-20.jpg?o=AiL5vdGKt8sMEI2rYI87WldfokFwVtrf_GZ-Dbg2mldD&v=1&z=https%3A%2F%2Fp34-content.icloud.com%3A443&x=1&a=BjVlvqVq_vQ6tJAuGIv6EvVYDcZrAwbURQEAAANS00U&e=1536879718&r=235c1795-286f-4cde-b791-a3b00385ed3c-1&s=v-NNhW7a6-t2m9l8RBDWpiYbpFs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

IOR boat in mid-broach?

Hobie 33, photo was right side up when i posted on mobile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ajax said:

@PinkSpinnaker Looking at yours and that S2, I think mine has narrow shoulders that is robbing me of power in lighter breezes. I should try to find a fuller chute.

the R/W/B is a S5 1.5 oz, we wanted it to cut power for the higher end. It has very narrow shoulders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PinkSpinnaker said:

IMG_9803.JPG.55c91e0c742874d30cb547d632e31fc8.JPG

This better for ya? Big pink at 19 kts offshore in Maine.

Steep water you got there PS. Gotta love a Pink Spinnaker...214780704_BigPink.thumb.jpg.9d82f262f4d2383f171615c60204dbf8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25 years ago, navigating the Japanese Admiral's Cupper Togo round the Fastnet.  Even fractional 42 footers needed hydraulics!

Sorry I cut that guy's head off.  But he wasn't too good looking anyway.

 

Togo_cockpi_01.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another one.  About 10 years ago, John Sweeney and I and a tiny crew took his old AC boat Il Moro di Venezia, ITA-1 out for a couple of day sails on SF Bay during the Oracle Convention parties at the ballpark, deliberately wearing Larry's bitter opponent's logo, PeopleSoft (and being paid for it).  Tacking and gybing next to the park, and right into the cove, we were highly visible. 

Larry was apparently not amused.

 

Peoplesoftbaybridge.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two different photographers, but ended up with going out and coming in pics from the Single-Handed Farallones in 2015. Going out looks like a drone shot, but taken from Golden Gate Bridge.

 

out.jpg.3f27a18780a9f73894a523eea58c50ad.jpg

 

in.jpg.5fb11955288171b64892f1575ff480d3.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

j111-blur-midsummer-solo-challenge-2018-

Solo racing J/111 Blur in "Midsummer Solo Challenge"

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2018 at 12:11 AM, QBF said:

2.jpg.0e7026d60843ce4989160cb5d8fc2623.jpg

1992256820_MikePlantonCoyote.jpg.d953ba0b23d37ef72bf5b3dfc2bb5e66.jpg

Hah, top pic Raphael Dinelli clutching a bottle of champagne awaiting rescue by Pete Goss deep in the Southern Ocean.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Blur said:

j111-blur-midsummer-solo-challenge-2018-

Solo racing J/111 Blur in "Midsummer Solo Challenge"

That's a hell of a lot of boat to handle solo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2018 at 7:37 PM, SloopJonB said:

IOR boat in mid-broach?

What are you talking about, that's just one side of a speed oscillation!

- Stumbling

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Priscilla said:

Hah, top pic Raphael Dinelli clutching a bottle of champagne awaiting rescue by Pete Goss deep in the Southern Ocean.

Dinelli held onto that line/sheet for 24-hours before an Australian Aircraft managed to locate him and drop a life raft that he was able to climb into.

10-minutes later his boat sank!

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/how-we-met-pete-goss-and-raphael-dinelli-1262298.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another favorite.  Actually made it to the SA FP back in 2014.  Sailing Marama in Antigua for the Superyacht Regatta.  Heavy metal.

steamroller.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SailBlueH2O said:

Not my favorite but a good one~~

dowz.jpg

Hell of a dhow fleet you have at the mouth of Tampa Bay!

(yes, I did see the DIMC stamp on the photo.   Almost transposed it to DIYC when typing!)

- Stumbling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good colours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh, sorry, that’s my fave pic of one of my bikes.... 

here’s one I like of my old Melges 24... not like a super action shot, but still looks cool to me...

E7CE198D-68C4-445E-BBA3-89EE0B11FADF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

683196848_roadtoBrisbane.jpg.c78712b0c99c668e27251608af5c8af8.jpg

Trying to get through the floods to a National title

boatspeed.jpg.93bed636b4948d87cb716f9e7dac3773.jpg

Great day racing about Airlie Beach

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

683196848_roadtoBrisbane.jpg.c78712b0c99c668e27251608af5c8af8.jpg

That belongs in the LONQR thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 10:10 PM, P_Wop said:

Not my boat (Jim Kilroy's of course) but one I raced "back in the day."  The glorious Kialoa III.

k3_064.jpg

So how does the mizzen kite rig,  sheet and guy attach to what to keep the foot so wide ? whats that straight line over to the port side of the mizzen leech ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s sheeted through a block at the end of the mizzen boom and tacked to the weather rail. Another trick is to tack it to a flying block hitched onto the spinnaker brace beyond the weather rail. This projects the luff further to weather and gives further separation from the main. This setup also makes the mizzen spi self trimming in the smaller shifts. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That straight line looks like the blooper sheet.

Sure ain't racing around the cans with all that laundry up.

Was the running rigging measured in kilometers or miles?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That straight line looks like the blooper sheet.

Sure ain't racing around the cans with all that laundry up.

Was the running rigging measured in kilometers or miles?

1. Right.

2. Yes, we did.  SF Bay was a real killer.  So was Sydney Harbour.

3. Feet.  Hundreds and hundreds of them. Half dacron, half wire, mostly both, spliced somewhere around the middle..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we borrowed a kite from a San 651, to do the RTI with a Taswell 58TC only the guy failed to tell us he got it off an 80' maxi ….

Taswell 58TC RTI-3~1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful William Payne shot for Lewmar in 1982.

 

Inca woman.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windy Biscay.

Nonchalance ….

 

normal_Velux_V5OBBsd_M1819.jpg

normal_Velux_V5OBBsd_M1780a.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK cheating. I know. People without boats. But what amazing people.

 

0.jpg

Magnus.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, cms said:

So we borrowed a kite from a San 651, to do the RTI with a Taswell 58TC only the guy failed to tell us he got it off an 80' maxi ….

Taswell 58TC RTI-3~1.JPG

put up the whomper!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Soho said:

So how does the mizzen kite rig,  sheet and guy attach to what to keep the foot so wide ? whats that straight line over to the port side of the mizzen leech ? 

No mizzen blooper?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got this one mid gybe, from great friend and photographer Martina Orsini

love the leeward heel, the foils almost invisible and the shape of the wings

FB_IMG_1538948614880.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DN ice yachts at full chat rounding the top mark in Estonia a few years ago....  Ya have to try one of these things!

Serge

DN GC 2014 4.jpg

DN GC 2014 7.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cms said:

OK cheating. I know. People without boats. But what amazing people.

 

0.jpg

Magnus.jpg

Two absolute legends.  "Six Four" and Mange.

I'm so privileged to have known and sailed with them both.  RIP

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cms said:

Wonderful William Payne shot for Lewmar in 1982.

 

Inca woman.JPG

Princess Anne on Yeoman?  Looks rather like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's in the classifieds too. Have had someone email me to say they loved the photo but can't buy the boat. Prior to the start of the 2017 Vallejo 1-2

FB_IMG_1537504490575.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Breeze on off Pt. Blunt! J-111 Worlds, Skeleton Key.

J111_worlds_sat-1844-X2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 10:46 AM, George Hackett said:

First time to put up the new rags!!!

308D4532-0495-4452-A093-1832D3A4B9A2.jpeg

Mills 45?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Princess Anne on Yeoman?  Looks rather like it.

My wife, royalty? We have both shared some laughs with the sailing HRH.

Inca, S&S 46, ex NZ AC team 1981.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Nick G said:

Breeze on off Pt. Blunt! J-111 Worlds, Skeleton Key.

 

My favourite! Really cool shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cms said:

My wife, royalty? We have both shared some laughs with the sailing HRH.

Inca, S&S 46, ex NZ AC team 1981.

Yes, indeed. 

I was at that famous private dinner party with HRH when she was in her Olympic equestrian mode.  Needless to say, this dominated the conversation, and became a bit tiresome.  Finally, when coffee was served, she asked for some sugar.  A guest, not saying who, put a couple of lumps on his flattened palm and offered them across the table.  A moment of horrified silence, then laughter all round.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Yes, indeed. 

I was at that famous private dinner party with HRH when she was in her Olympic equestrian mode.  Needless to say, this dominated the conversation, and became a bit tiresome.  Finally, when coffee was served, she asked for some sugar.  A guest, not saying who, put a couple of lumps on his flattened palm and offered them across the table.  A moment of horrified silence, then laughter all round.

With the Irish AC team, on the squadron lawn, 1985, HRH had recently fallen off her horse at Badminton, Burleigh or whatever. Irish, horses, HRH.... She disappears into a scrum of Irish voices and reappears unscathed several minutes later. Special Branch "were not amused", and we were all summoned later and given the 3rd degree!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cms said:

With the Irish AC team, on the squadron lawn, 1985, HRH had recently fallen off her horse at Badminton, Burleigh or whatever. Irish, horses, HRH.... She disappears into a scrum of Irish voices and reappears unscathed several minutes later. Special Branch "were not amused", and we were all summoned later and given the 3rd degree!

I remember that one.  Apparently Harold fancied his chances.  Ha ha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think his equestrian knowledge let him down ….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mast bend! What mast bend?

16388393_10154841034076745_8895512257741954619_n.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is great about all of these is how they catch a moment and will remind those on the boat of that moment forever. Beautiful and compelling as well, but there is absolutely nothing like looking at a photo of a boat you were on doing something spectacular. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rodnichols69 said:

The thread reminded me of this pic.  That had to be a hard drop.

Hold my beer.PNG

If it stayed on that bow up stern in angle probably ok! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 10/10/2018 at 3:26 PM, rodnichols69 said:

The thread reminded me of this pic.  That had to be a hard drop.

Hold my beer.PNG

 

12 hours ago, SCANAS said:

If it stayed on that bow up stern in angle probably ok! 

Really?  Imagine it taking that fall from a hoist instead of powering over a wave.  Nothing a chiropractor and a little bondo can't fix, tho....:wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, unShirley said:

Really?  Imagine it taking that fall from a hoist instead of powering over a wave.  Nothing a chiropractor and a little bondo can't fix, tho....:wacko:

Stern in all day. You don’t want to land flat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

even landing stern in first, that is going to be one bone jarring, gel coat cracking fall when the bow slaps down from that height.  you can bet stuff down below found new homes.....just saying....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whereas this.......

 

1.jpg4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Whereas this.......

 

1.jpg4.jpg

I will never, ever want or need to leave a port so badly as to be willing to put my boat through that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate having that realization... "Sh*t, that was a bad idea."   Here's mine, somewhere in the Caribbean, my daughter (who just turned 40) climbed up to the chart table and laid out her first course.

Lauren charting 2007.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll cheat and add another, this one singlehanding between St. Croix and St. Thomas. Reminds me of the song lyrics, "Oh no, they can't take that away from me."

Off STX.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, sugarbird said:

I hate having that realization... "Sh*t, that was a bad idea."   Here's mine, somewhere in the Caribbean, my daughter (who just turned 40) climbed up to the chart table and laid out her first course.

Lauren charting 2007.jpg

 

LOL...that's a cute, hilarious picture. Worthy of a caption contest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a weird looking gps she has in her hand 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Less a pic of the boat, more a pic of why we have boats and share the joy of sailing. Those perfect days when the breeze and temps are perfect and you get to introduce people to their first ever sailing experience. 

CFA7BE8B-1DAB-42AB-8DF9-CBBBE31EC068.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Franco Pace - Nioulargue. Superb conditions, backdrop, light, and the detail like the reefed jib. Anyone know the boat or backstory? (Sorry for crap inter web quality. I’ve bought a few copies of this one but can’t see it on his website anymore)

294E8BF8-5802-4413-B6FA-497EF38A1DDF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sweetwater Seas - just got a puff from those clouds  . . 

 

 

S2sunset.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites