Mike Hunt

Favourite Boat pic?

On 5/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, Mr. Squirrel said:

One of my favorite pics (that I cant find - HELP) is I think from the IOR 50 foot circuit days.  There was a collision and one of the guys in the back of the cockpit has been flung up into the air as a result.  It would suck to be him, but the moment frozen in time is amazing.

HELP!
MS

Not a fifty, not a collision, just a guy getting the flick. (maybe he fucked up on the runner):o

Longoborda  Sharon Green photo

Longobarda mast break.png

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, See Level said:

Not a fifty, not a collision, just a guy getting the flick. (maybe he fucked up on the runner):o

Longoborda

hence the screen name of Billy Backstay...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, See Level said:

Longoborda

Be interesting to know what happened in the previous few seconds.

No sign of forestay (but maybe just can't see it). Port shroud no tension. Mast rotated to starboard. Pole neither on deck nor the mast....

Would also love to see what happened over the next few seconds.

10 minutes ago, KC375 said:

No sign of forestay (but maybe just can't see it). Port shroud no tension. Mast rotated to starboard. Pole neither on deck nor the mast....

Afterguy went bang on a close reach, pole flies forward demolishing the forestay, mast snaps at the hounds due to tension on runners, sudden release of tension on runners throws the guy at the back overboard?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alphafb552 said:

I just love the classics!

Another great picture from Beken of Cowes:

Susanne-1911-12204scA3sepia.jpg

Darn good photographer given his day job was a chemist.

I read that he’d hold his large format camera in both hands standing knees bent to act as human stabilizer and he’d trigger the shutter using a pneumatic bulb held in his teeth.

fbeken.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Snowden said:

Afterguy went bang on a close reach, pole flies forward demolishing the forestay, mast snaps at the hounds due to tension on runners, sudden release of tension on runners throws the guy at the back overboard?

Just another day at the office.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

IIRC they were Balloon Jibs.

And they only had Armstrong winches in those days as well.

Oriole.JPG

I spent a summer working construction (renovations). A new guy showed up on the crew even dumber and lazier than me. He was complaining about how hard scraping the paint was...foreman told him to use the armstrong machine.

Half an hour later newbie comes back out of the tool trailer complaining he couldn’t find it.

He was not asked back.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Runner block at transom failed mid-jibe. Heastay visible next to stbd vertical. Pole has detached from mast, butt end starting to poke thru mainsail. Rig collapse in 2 seconds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KC375 said:

I spent a summer working construction (renovations). A new guy showed up on the crew even dumber and lazier than me. He was complaining about how hard scraping the paint was...foreman told him to use the armstrong machine.

Half an hour later newbie comes back out of the tool trailer complaining he couldn’t find it.

He was not asked back.

Good one KC! Reminds me of the time when a new guy was told by his foreman to go to the tool check out office and get a 'left handed monkey wrench' or a 'skyhook' or whatever the fools tool was at the time. He made everyone on the crew heard the order and gave all of them a wink when the kid headed up the hill. He was gone for a long while as the tool guy usually just told the victim that there was no such tool and the foreman was having a joke at his expense and sometimes the new kid would mope around a while before coming back out of embarrassment.  But the tool guy must have been growing tired of such pranks from that particular foreman so when the kid asked for whatever he was given some forms and asked to fill out with all details and the name of the tool and especially the foreman who requested it. The kid did as told and more and more forms were given to him with each one turned in and the the tool keeper got out a catalog and made a show of actually looking up the parts number of a '2 Ton Skyhook' as well as the extended price and lead time that one could be shipped to the job site. Everything was duly signed and logged and recorded on the inventory computer system and it was a couple of hours before the new kid was sent back to the crew with a folder of paperwork to give his foreman to sign. The foreman was puzzled but figured that the tool shed guy was taking the lame joke to a next level and he figured this could extend the joke for a week or to and signed on the dotted lines as instructed. The kid still didn't have a clue that he was such a fool and the foreman told him to get back to his work but the kid said that the tool guy had insisted that he return the paper work but left copies for the foreman. When the kid turned in the paperwork back at the tool shed desk, it was almost lunchtime and the tool jefe invited him to go to the supervisors lunch room. 

Imagine the look on the kids crew foreman when he spotted his victim laughing and joking with the tool boss and getting introduced to the rest of the supervisors in the lunch room. The toolboss was telling everyone how good the kid was doing paperwork and filling out the endless paperwork tracking tool inventory and purchasing and then took him over to meet the big boss of the whole project and the company Vice Pres and asked for a promotion and transfer from 'the hill' to the tool room. They were told to wait for the next 2 week pay period which would coincide with the kids 2 week 'probational' hire. 

The kid did his job no questions asked and was the perfect 'new hire' and his crew boss wasn't sure just how long the tool boss would let the 'skyhook' joke persist. Finally it was payday and the checks were handed out by the crew foremen to their respective men. The kids first check wasn't in the envelope given to the foreman and about then tool room guy walked up and gave the kid his first check in front of the whole crew and walked over to the snack shed which was where the payday ritual was held. The foreman was puzzled but then pulled out his own check to have a look and was shocked to see that there was a BIG deduction on his accrued pay for the period for 'purchase' of a tool and an attached document with details of the deduction. Our company had an excellent policy which allowed workmen to buy tools for themselves at a discount from even the wholesale prices that the large company company got. I think the company subsidy was about 35% off of wholesale and it encouraged the guys to take care of their own tools and promoted work ethic an craftmanship in a big way. I was cabinet shop foreman and my guys really took good advantage of the offer and I could see the pride they took but the same thing happened with the laborers up on the hill. 

So the tool room boss had done all the paperwork on the 'Two Ton Skyhook' as a personal purchase by the crew foreman who had started the silly joke. This form had a note saying that Skyhooks are beyond the normal scope of tools needed on that crew so the $300 or so to buy the mythical tools was taken out of the foreman's paycheck! He went ballistic and went and confronted the tool guy and cussed him out good and threatened to kick his ass in front of the whole workforce right then and there. The tool guy just smiled and told him he could appeal the charges and turn around to the next table and tapped on the Project Chiefs shoulder and turned the enraged foreman over to him. He just asked for the paper work and read it and then asked the foreman why he couldn't come up with something more imaginative than a 'Two Ton Skyjack' when initiating the stupid joke in the first place! The whole workforce had been tipped off about the coming 'outing' of the foreman and his joke and workers were rolling around on the ground up laughing at the absurdity of it all. The Project Chief looked around and spotted the kid on whom the whole joke had started with and waved the paperwork around and motioned him over. He told the kid he was now promoted to assistant tool room clerk and gave him the paperwork and to go cancel the bogus tool requisitions and purchase orders and credit his former foreman with the cost of the skyhook but to deduct 15% of that for 're-stocking' and handling fees!

I might have to include this anecdote in my upcoming remake of 'Don't Stop the Carnival'.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

Darn good photographer given his day job was a chemist.

I read that he’d hold his large format camera in both hands standing knees bent to act as human stabilizer and he’d trigger the shutter using a pneumatic bulb held in his teeth.

fbeken.jpg

my parents have a video tape (VHS) about Beken. the development of the camera is one of the subjects mentioned.

still have to ask my brother to put it on DVD... (he did copy the flyer II documentary from VHS to DVD (still watch it at least twice a year) with a projector, a freshly painted white wall, ...)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, daan62 said:

my parents have a video tape (VHS) about Beken. the development of the camera is one of the subjects mentioned.

still have to ask my brother to put it on DVD... (he did copy the flyer II documentary from VHS to DVD (still watch it at least twice a year) with a projector, a freshly painted white wall, ...)

Of course I have a few of Beken's books of photos but when I was young I had one by Beken (the middle one I think) about the cameras, the photographic process including developing and enlarging. Really interesting reading. I can't seem to find it on Amazon or elsewhere...partly because there are so many photo books I can't find anything else.

Raally interesting family story.

1 hour ago, KC375 said:

He was not asked back.

At Goetz the tool for the new guy was the Resin Stretcher.  

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:37 PM, See Level said:

Longoborda  Sharon Green photo

Tremendous picture!

On 5/6/2020 at 3:04 PM, longy said:

Runner block at transom failed mid-jibe. Heastay visible next to stbd vertical. Pole has detached from mast, butt end starting to poke thru mainsail. Rig collapse in 2 seconds.

Lazing guy in hand, waiting for the pole to swing to the bow, and the rig disappears...crazy.

Why is the butt end of the pole not attached?

Mid jibe would have the butt end of the pole attached and pretty high up the mast

No idea how pole came off mast. The two bow crew seem the only ones aware (other than the astronaut) that shits going bad

3 hours ago, barefoot children said:

fastboat.JPG

There's a good one!

Not the bottom paint we thought...

F10C019F-9961-415E-B850-5BA47D92F3EF.jpeg

On 5/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, PhilipNZ said:

I can't decide, both taken during the Coastal Classic but a year apart

I'll always love her

SDR3.jpeg

sundreamer 2001.jpeg

Sculpture, pure and simple.....

• Like 1

My favourite from back in the IOR days and before Alex Thompson made the mast walk famous. Start of the annual Cock-of-the-Bay on board the Dubois 1/2 tonner Highway Patrol. Kite halyard jammed and as the resident FDU member onboard went up the stick to fire the pin - no time for a harness, chair etc.  The "good ol' days". 

Highway Patrol.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Amati said:

Not the bottom paint we thought...

F10C019F-9961-415E-B850-5BA47D92F3EF.jpeg

I've got a terrible feeling that's what I'm going to find next haulout.

4 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I've got a terrible feeling that's what I'm going to find next haulout.

The good part is that it scrapes right off! :lol:  I seen it! :)

2 hours ago, Woosha said:

My favourite from back in the IOR days and before Alex Thompson made the mast walk famous. Start of the annual Cock-of-the-Bay on board the Dubois 1/2 tonner Highway Patrol. Kite halyard jammed and as the resident FDU member onboard went up the stick to fire the pin - no time for a harness, chair etc.  The "good ol' days". 

Highway Patrol.jpg

Coming back down after the halyard was released must have been interesting.

On 5/9/2020 at 9:23 AM, Admiral Hornblower said:

These are my favorite so far.i-Z56TLsc-X2.jpg

Brilliant 

3 hours ago, Woosha said:

no time for a harness

thought they are standard kit for FDU members .

9 hours ago, barefoot children said:

34aac779.jpg

No. Just no. No fuckin' way.

DSC01779.JPG

Mmmmm.

fastboat.JPG

Maybe.

8 hours ago, Mid said:

Brilliant 

Those are my favorites of MY boat , mostly because they the only photos  I have of it at the moment. Hopefully I will have some  of it rocketing along in a cloud of spray soon:D.

These are my favorites in general

69041932_10157801054474301_3526453846945562624_n.jpg7c4c534cc94221df8d6347323bc2832a.jpgVIDEO: 470 Sailing - Enjoy the Experience >> Scuttlebutt Sailing NewsVolvo Ocean Race switches to a 2-year cycle and a 2019 start for ...

• Like 1

What I love about that pic is what it demonstrates about the balance of the boat.

Check out the rudder angle!

34aac779.jpg.9018f065f408a8eeda65d593077d8b8a.jpg

But the rudder should be hard the other way you would think

16 minutes ago, TUBBY said:

Upwind never was her favourite direction!

Mine neither 

7 hours ago, lydia said:

What I love about that pic is what it demonstrates about the balance of the boat.

I think the boat is hove to to survive the weather.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:40 AM, barefoot children said:

DSC01781.JPG

DSC01788.JPG

Farr 11 & 400.jpg

Tazo too, the one boat I wish I still had.... great boat in every which way, except for rating.  So much fun to sail!!!  

20 hours ago, lydia said:

I like that boiling wake coming off the side of the keel. :o

That's what I call leeway.

ted_4.jpg.5201d80b1796c2fed03a0b09e42e2b15.jpg

A tough job, but someone had to do it.

Hull # 2 was the winning boat for the America's Cup

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I like that boiling wake coming off the side of the keel. :o

That's what I call leeway.

What I call keel stall!

20 hours ago, lydia said:

But the rudder should be hard the other way you would think

but what would you expect with abbo driving.....lol

iyR2MuyHbY1N_PDhF4AytkkfuKiwI-reqC4ucOsl

Folkboat Tibbe, 1974

On 5/8/2020 at 7:23 PM, Admiral Hornblower said:

These are my favorite so far.i-3hnzRdv-X2.jpgi-c5B4BDv-X2.jpgi-Z56TLsc-X2.jpg

You have my admiration

• Like 1

My boat in the 130nm coastal classic last October. 1989 wooden Elliott 10.5. Beat a Kerr 40 and many others on line. Was fun. 

Screenshot_20200506-085934.png

Screenshot_20200506-085927.png

• Like 5

Screenshot_20191030-212908.thumb.png.a573904bb919039e2f8ba1aeea17640f.png

Screenshot_20191114-191346.png

• Like 2

I took this yesterday on a nearby lake. It's not sailing, sorry, I will make do about that later.

But I know there are many dog lovers around here. So this is my new favourite way to walk a dog...

DSC01865.JPG

• Like 4

On 5/17/2020 at 10:06 AM, BooBoo said:

My boat in the 130nm coastal classic last October. 1989 wooden Elliott 10.5. Beat a Kerr 40 and many others on line. Was fun. 

Screenshot_20200506-085934.png

Screenshot_20200506-085927.png

198-bloody-9? How much has it changed in those years?

On 5/14/2020 at 5:51 PM, lydia said:

Looks like misery!

Looks like survival.

A stink boat would have gotten home ahead of the weather. :D

16 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A stink boat would have gotten home ahead of the weather. :D

Don't bring reality into my little bubble Sloop!

Not favorite but a cool little pocket cruiser/ kit boat 

5B379856-C201-478D-82E7-F3B28434546E.jpeg

3811D3C6-9C9F-473D-B086-CB1896969D08.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 5:51 AM, BravoBravo said:

Not favorite but a cool little pocket cruiser/ kit boat 

3811D3C6-9C9F-473D-B086-CB1896969D08.jpeg

Who's design is it?  Reminds me of this fellows designs... https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&pto=aue&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.metzboats.de/htm/designs/designs.htm&usg=ALkJrhj57FO-uVC33i0FI07MUe0vKHjWnw

Edited by 2flit
bad link

This is very high on my list.

Assent, Contessa 32

fastnet-1979-survivor-assent.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/18/2020 at 12:44 PM, Misbehavin' said:

198-bloody-9? How much has it changed in those years?

Slightly more changes than Grandad's axe...

The last race was an amazing display of the learning curve! Gary Jobson detailed the entire historic event to a T. 

something like this...”From Paris to Japan to Barnegat Bay, the best race ever!”

Thanks for the props,Gary! You the Man!!! 

Actually, I think he said the most incredible comeback victory in the sport or the history of sport. I’ll have to rewatch the most awesome 22 + minutes of distance making I ever saw. 

That against an amazing and formidable adversary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

I0000CNM_AmAM0GM.jpg.8d7ca1af1a44832b17e0a9519c6ecaf8.jpg

"HULA! HULA!" or, "Where's the blue bucket?"

• Like 2

On 5/15/2020 at 1:51 AM, Livia said:

This pic is on the front cover of my copy of Rob Mundle’s 98 S2H book fatal storm. 

It's a shame that photos don't show the size or steepness of seas. That water looks almost flat but I suspect it was mountainous.

I noticed the same thing in my skiing days - unless the pic was from the side even a nearly vertical run looked like a bunny hill.

On 9/20/2020 at 12:57 AM, Sail4beer said:

Actually, I think he said the most incredible comeback victory in the sport or the history of sport. I’ll have to rewatch the most awesome 22 + minutes of distance making I ever saw. 

That against an amazing and formidable adversary

'This is it, this is it! Work your arses off!" as Ben Ainslie so eloquently said!

Two shots of my favourite ride when she was in Sydney. 

_MG_4323.jpg

_MG_4190.jpg

• Like 1

Raced her in the Perth Worlds,  she is a beautiful lady,  but boy can she bite.

I still have 2 scars!

On 5/13/2020 at 1:34 PM, longy said:

No idea how pole came off mast. The two bow crew seem the only ones aware (other than the astronaut) that shits going bad

Had the pole mast car break during a long ago Transpac. Coming out of a jibe the butt was too high and excessive guy / brace trim combined with minimal foreguy slack put too much pressure on the mast ring. When the ring failed, the outboard end of the pole was slammed violently forward and down where it first coldcocked the owner then gave the headstay a solid whack. Naturally, when the outboard end came in and down the butt went skyward and aft through the leeward side of the eased main. Fortunately it was daylight and sailing conditions were decent for dealing with such an incident.

We had two MDs onboard and one was actually functional (the other one was scared and wouldn't come on deck). We were just beyond halfway and with race committee medical advisor and Coast Guard concurrence took the decision to carry on.

Many lessons learned. One of which was how slippery blood is on a wet deck.

I realize this isn't a very exciting picture, but right now, at this moment, this is my favorite boat pic.  

This is because since this boat was built in 2001, this is the very first time it's been in the water.  Hell, three weeks ago it had never been sold, registered or titled.  It is effectively a brand new, 20-year-old boat. :P

I sure hope it wasn't bad luck to launch her on Friday the 13th.  I also neglected to break a bottle of champagne over her bow or make an offering to Neptune.  I did, quietly (basically in a whisper) say, "I christen thee, Albatross" as she left the trailer for the first time.  

Hopefully this will suffice.  

fullsizeoutput_1093.jpeg

• Like 1

congrats! hope you have a good time sailing it a lot!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winston29 said:

I realize this isn't a very exciting picture, but right now, at this moment, this is my favorite boat pic.  

This is because since this boat was built in 2001, this is the very first time it's been in the water.  Hell, three weeks ago it had never been sold, registered or titled.  It is effectively a brand new, 20-year-old boat. :P

I sure hope it wasn't bad luck to launch her on Friday the 13th.  I also neglected to break a bottle of champagne over her bow or make an offering to Neptune.  I did, quietly (basically in a whisper) say, "I christen thee, Albatross" as she left the trailer for the first time.  

Hopefully this will suffice.  

fullsizeoutput_1093.jpeg

Cute tri, what is it?  Looks like roto-molded plastic hulls; can it hold more than one person?  To what do you attribute it never being sold before?

RB Sailing: The International 50-Foot Class - Part 1

The Shadow and Checkmate.  Kenwood Cup Hawaii 1984.  Me on The Shadow lashing reaching strut to shroud.  So much fun.

I have no idea who took the photo.  Phil Uhl perhaps?  Whoever, serious props.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The Shadow and Checkmate.  Kenwood Cup Hawaii 1984.  Me on The Shadow lashing reaching strut to shroud.  So much fun.

Go Monte !!!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Cute tri, what is it?  Looks like roto-molded plastic hulls; can it hold more than one person?  To what do you attribute it never being sold before?

Oops, sorry.  It's a WindRider-16, and yes, it's a polyethylene boat.  

The 16 is a single-seater, but the later produced WR-17 has two cockpits and a jib.  The 17 employs traditional sloop rigging, whereas the 16 furls the main around the mast; a system I'm particularly interested in for its ease of reefing.  

The boat was owned by a dealer who only used it as a display model on the showroom floor, then it sat in a storage container for many years, before showing up for sale on CL.  

Unfortunately, the day of that photo there was zero wind, so the ramp was as far as I got.  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

Youre personalle naratieve, recolectiones, and descriptiones our invaluaballe............  thack you.                             :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

looks like buzz driving check mate. you were so lucky man, great shot.

27 minutes ago, bigrpowr said:

looks like buzz driving check mate. you were so lucky man, great shot.

It was fun in Class B.  Mark Soverel driving The Shadow, and it looks like The Whale standing behind him with a hand on the checkstay.  Both good shipmates, and both gone now, sadly.

EDIT:  Correction, it can't have been 84, as both boats are carrying Dacron mains.  By 84 we were all into Kevlar.  So it's not me, as I was busy doing Sardinia Cup on Midnight Sun.  Great pic, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

It was fun in Class B.  Mark Soverel driving The Shadow, and it looks like The Whale standing behind him with a hand on the checkstay.  Both good shipmates, and both gone now, sadly.

seems like class B was a real treat, the 50 ish guys always mixed it up well. oh an i have no idea who the whale is.

Just now, bigrpowr said:

seems like class B was a real treat, the 50 ish guys always mixed it up well. oh an i have no idea who the whale is.

The Whale was Paul Weakley, a larger than life BN and rigger.  He lived in Fort Lauderdale, and was a wonderful personality and permanent fixture on the big boat circuit.

He and I planned a good business in Florida whereby we approached the banks who had repossessed boats, and didn't know what to do with them.  Whale and I looked through the list, and would select 2 or 3 promising ones and do a deal.  We fix 'em up and get them into saleable condition on our dime, and get them sold.  We'd split the difference between the bank's own repo price and the eventual sale price 50/50.  

Sadly the banks didn't go for it.  Oh, well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, longy said:

I was thinking that looks a lot like Fido playing with the strut.

If it was 82, you'd be right.  Good bloke, that.

This was the 84 crew.  Me avec beard in the back.

Shadow_Hawaii_1984.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Hi P_Wop, the photographer was Charles P. LeMieux III, the image featured in 'Yacht Racing and Cruising'. Another one here of some excellent bow work being done. And another shot of the The Shadow looking like she's going quite nicely to windward.

The Shadow_bow CC84.jpg

The Shadow_Clipper Cup 84.JPG

• Like 3

On 5/15/2020 at 12:42 AM, Admiral Hornblower said:

Those are my favorites of MY boat , mostly because they the only photos  I have of it at the moment. Hopefully I will have some  of it rocketing along in a cloud of spray soon:D.

These are my favorites in general

69041932_10157801054474301_3526453846945562624_n.jpg7c4c534cc94221df8d6347323bc2832a.jpgVIDEO: 470 Sailing - Enjoy the Experience >> Scuttlebutt Sailing NewsVolvo Ocean Race switches to a 2-year cycle and a 2019 start for ...

I love the DFRT photo but have to admit to being biased.

Cheers

SS

• Like 1